Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

53 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

How do they class overweight though, if you go onto one of those bmi checker websites and unless your under 10 stone at 6 foot tall, you're classed as Daniel lambert.

They check based on when a doctor or nurse last weighed you.  There is no way to submit current weight as an example.

My current weight should have had me in the vulnerable group, but because I was last weighed by my doctor 2 years ago and that was 1 and half stone lighter I wasnt.

24 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Dr John is hopeful that even mild and asymptomatic cases should lead to long lasting immunity. This is based on some papers he reviews in this video, and suggests herd immunity and vaccines should be possible.

S, if I’m right in understanding a mild case, it’s when you catch it but don’t inhale too many of the little fvckers. So if that’s the case, why don’t they have 10 positives stood backs to a wall whilst the rest of us run past them quickly taking short breaths

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, MonmoreStef said:

If those figures are correct, which I’m not doubting, then the Government’s approach to this pandemic is worst than I first thought. The economic damage going forward is going to be far worse. 

Not just the economic damage, kids off school on iPads and PlayStations all day and night turning into zombies. Adults furloughed for months on end turned into borderline alcoholics etc. The damage Locking down countries has done, could go on for decades. I’m not saying I disagree with what the response has been but you have to question whether the damage of lockdown has even been considered.

18 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Not just the economic damage, kids off school on iPads and PlayStations all day and night turning into zombies. Adults furloughed for months on end turned into borderline alcoholics etc. The damage Locking down countries has done, could go on for decades. I’m not saying I disagree with what the response has been but you have to question whether the damage of lockdown has even been considered.

For me lockdown's should have safety first and at least have consistency to them.

If you telling people that those classified as vulnerable its too dangerous to go outside, its too dangerous for people see their loved one's, then you directly contradict that by opening salons, pubs, religious events and also of course let kids go back to school to become super spreaders.  There is a problem.  Because allowing those activities to me tells me that there is little risk, and if there is little risk, why are we imposing these restrictions on people.  So for me if i am told I am not allowed to see my family not even in a back garden, I expect in return for this freedom taken away from me, every effort been made to reduce the cases in my area, I think this is a reasonable expectation, but its pretty clear that this effort is not been made, and we heading to s ituation potentially where people in this city wont be allowed to see their loved ones for the best part of a year, and the media, people in other areas, are kind of turning their head away as if to say, dont know whats happening there "im alright jack"  Its very shameful.  The people in this thread who are going on about their children going back to school, they have not said a single word about the implications for the people in cities with higher case counts and local lockdown, it is as if they dont care, it is just if their children back to school.

I am not claiming the economy doesnt matter, education doesnt matter, but I will say this, the economy can recover, education can be recovered, but time with your loves ones cannot, especially if one dies during the lockdown.  I just hope people find the kindness in their hearts to understand its not all about money, as I find it shameful for money to be put ahead of basic liberties.  So yes as I said, if a government is claiming its too risky to see your family, then why are they opening all these businesses and schools up, I will never ever accept that money comes ahead of seeing my loved ones.  Even if I have to sleep rough because of it.

To make it even worse, the Leicester Mayor seems to be happy now his precious city centre is open, not a word about the liberties taken away, and we have councillors who think they a law onto themselves.

To be truthful I am not sure where I stand, I think its disrespectful to claim "its only a few deaths to the old" but at the same time we do have to try to move forward and learn to live with this, so for me it is open things up, but do it in a sensible manner, and you grade things based on risk, not economic impact.   I also think its unrealistic to expect a poor city with overcrowded housing to have infection rates the same as an affluent countryside.  You either give it more lenient targets or provide money to change the circumstances to match.

I just hope people start thinking about everyone as a whole rather than just themselves and their family, the social togetherness seems dead.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Strokes said:

If that's what they doing why aren't the parents been parents?  I wasn't allowed to spend that kind of time on my console, I was told to read books, many of them educational, and spend time with family.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chrysalis said:

If that's what they doing why aren't the parents been parents?  I wasn't allowed to spend that kind of time on my console, I was told to read books, many of them educational, and spend time with family.

I'll loan you my 11 and 13 year olds for a few days and if you can make them read educational books, you're a better man than me.

And if you can make them spend time with you when they've got the constant distractions of the on-line world, then best of luck.

In fact, I'll happily pay you to look after them for a week and see how you get on. Let's call it a 'social experiment'

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I'll loan you my 11 and 13 year olds for a few days and if you can make them read educational books, you're a better man than me.

And if you can make them spend time with you when they've got the constant distractions of the on-line world, then best of luck.

In fact, I'll happily pay you to look after them for a week and see how you get on. Let's call it a 'social experiment'

No one ever said been a parent is easy.  But I can tell you what my parents did, if I spent too much time on the super nintendo, it was quite easy, they simply unplugged it and took it away from me.

Edited by Chrysalis

37 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

There seems to be 1 or 2 deaths per day the past few days, with one or two from previous days/weeks/months.

Question is, is that consequence of government restrictions, lockdowns and managing the situation, or is that through the disease dying out naturally through time. We've had mass rallies, protests and packed beaches, all against general advice and  you would expect those events to lead to more deaths, which obviously they haven't. I'm thinking that the common denominator is all those events are outdoors and maybe the virus is far more dangerous and passed about indoors which is kind of the opposite to government rules about  isolating yourself away indoors.

10 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

I imagine some like us, that are key working are juggling childcare closing down with working shifts and not able to rely on grandparents anymore and finding parenting very bloody difficult.

But you keep judging them by your own bubble mate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

What are you expecting? Them to lock themselves up until the rest of the world recovers?

Expecting pelters for this but we wouldn’t if it was the other way round.

They can do what they like for me as long as they don't come over here.

14 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I imagine some like us, that are key working are juggling childcare closing down with working shifts and not able to rely on grandparents anymore and finding parenting very bloody difficult.

But you keep judging them by your own bubble mate.

Not judging anyone, I even said I know its not easy, I was responding to a scenario someone posted about parents becoming alcoholics and children turning into zombies from using electrical devices 24/7.

8 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Not judging anyone, I even said I know its not easy, I was responding to a scenario someone posted about parents becoming alcoholics and children turning into zombies from using electrical devices 24/7.

Yes it was me, it’s a real scenario. I’m guessing you aren’t a parent or live a completely different existence to me from your responses, as you have very little understanding of how parenting works in a household, with both parents working full time and schools closing with very little notice.

I have never just let my kids play iPads, PS4’s without guidelines. Before lockdown my kids were incredibly active in gymnastics, martial arts, Cubs, motocross, bmx, stage school, ballet etc. However they all closed, even riding their bike in the street on their own was frowned upon. So they’ve become hermits and acclimatised to this inactivity now and I know we aren’t alone because all the parents I interact with within these events, have said the same.

I’ve spend thousands on my kids to not be slaves to media because it’s bloody toxic and they now they rarely want to leave the house but yeah it’s all the parents fault.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yes it was me, it’s a real scenario. I’m guessing you aren’t a parent or live a completely different existence to me from your responses, as you have very little understanding of how parenting works in a household, with both parents working full time and schools closing with very little notice.

I have never just let my kids play iPads, PS4’s without guidelines. Before lockdown my kids were incredibly active in gymnastics, martial arts, Cubs, motocross, bmx, stage school, ballet etc. However they all closed, even riding their bike in the street on their own was frowned upon. So they’ve become hermits and acclimatised to this inactivity now and I know we aren’t alone because all the parents I interact with within these events, have said the same.

I’ve spend thousands on my kids to not be slaves to media because it’s bloody toxic and they now they rarely want to leave the house but yeah it’s all the parents fault.

I know it happens and this is kind of a sign of the times, that in modern Britain, quite often both parents work, yet when I was a child it was unusual for both parents to work, but of course wages havent kept up with living costs and housing costs, so I am understanding of the problems.  You are correct I dont have children, and I do respect people who are not in each other's situation do not have the experience.  Some people e.g. assume its easy for people to live on their own, and of course the other way round assume its easy to be a parent.  But please understand I am not judging you or any other parent, I am not qualified to do that.

I feel for sure there should have been more support to parents, a lot of parents went from used to working full time, sending their kids to school, to suddenly been at home all day and having to find things for their children to do, obviously a difficult situation, and I feel it could have been handled better, such as systems been devised to aid with home schooling, I feel also remote teaching could be a thing where school resumes, but via video conference, it keeps the teacher's safe (because we cannot forget these people), it provides some education and keeps the children occupied.  I know its not a 1:1 substitute and still leaves problems as no one wants to leave young children without a physical adult close by, but its just an idea, an example of what could have been done instead of just sending them home for weeks, estimating grades, and then suddenly sending them all back.

Just to clarify though my concerns are really for the local lockdown areas, not the entire country and also for the teachers, as I know some teachers and they are hesitant about going back.

Edited by Chrysalis

10 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

I am not claiming the economy doesnt matter, education doesnt matter, but I will say this, the economy can recover, education can be recovered, but time with your loves ones cannot, especially if one dies during the lockdown.  I just hope people find the kindness in their hearts to understand its not all about money, as I find it shameful for money to be put ahead of basic liberties.  So yes as I said, if a government is claiming its too risky to see your family, then why are they opening all these businesses and schools up, I will never ever accept that money comes ahead of seeing my loved ones.  Even if I have to sleep rough because of it.

Putting lives first got us into this current mess, we didn't lock down to save the economy and the local lockdowns are killing us slowly. If you ruin people's livelihoods, more of them will die.

The lockdowns will kill more people than the pandemic did. You talk about others thinking "I'm alright jack" but you don't have kids or a family depending on you, maybe think about the people without jobs and young mouths to feed or suicide rates going up or kids losing out on critical education. You need to think a bit further than being able to have more than 6 friends in your garden.

Edited by simFox
  • Like 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53830982

Korea has shown, up until now anyway, that it is possible to balance preventing inundation of hospitals due to this virus and safeguarding economic concerns for as many people as possible (one of the smallest downturns among nations hit relatively hard by this).

Unfortunately, as elsewhere, one seemingly cannot account for conspiracy minded religious fundies looking to spread Covid around because anything else is somehow oppression.

• Sad 1