Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Slightly barbed comment on those that choose to live a life as best they can rather than hole up terrified.....but I agree with the rhetorical question you pose. 

No, those who go abroad are prob the very last people who'd give a shite about quarantine. And nor would I, unless it was patently obvious I'd been mixing in a high risk environment, like a hospital covid ward. 

People who go abroad are least likely to isolate? Wow 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I don't understand why we don't make people take tests when they land into this country, and then maybe one again a few days later. If both come back as negative then you can exit quarantine, rather than self isolating for the 14 days atm. I'm probably missing something out though on why this isn't possible.

Money

I don't agree that 'it's over' just yet but you can't not be satisfied with this surely?! (in terms of finally stopping death rates, not that so many lives have been lost already obviously)

5 months of continuous deaths in hospitals and now, for the first time, no hospital-related COVID deaths in England at all.

Edited by StanSP
  • Like 1

The USA experience of second wave has seen many deaths but I’m not aware that the hospitals have really struggled to cope as they did in April in the worst affected areas. 

would be interesting to see an assessment of why this is but perhaps too early .....

And those long lasting affects .......... they really do exist .......

12 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I don't agree that 'it's over' just yet but you can't not be satisfied with this surely?! (in terms of finally stopping death rates, not that so many lives have been lost already obviously)

5 months of continuous deaths in hospitals and now, for the first time, no hospital-related COVID deaths in England at all.

What a stupid tweet ..... how exactly is it ‘over’?  In so many ways, it’s hardly begun! 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The USA experience of second wave has seen many deaths but I’m not aware that the hospitals have really struggled to cope as they did in April in the worst affected areas. 

would be interesting to see an assessment of why this is but perhaps too early .....

How are you guys coping?

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

How are you guys coping?

My 25 y o - still only eating pasta and fish plus a few more things seem to be getting added but that’s more by trial and error rather than it easing.  Very strange and a message for the young that think this won’t affect their lives ....

my missus still has her v tired days where she can’t be bothered.  She just had a fall in the hall where she caught her foot in her trousers .....  that’s tiredness I think and I wouldn't have an opinion whether the virus has contributed to that happening. Probably not.

i’m happy to continue to be useful for once in my life with plasma although if I want to make a fourth donation, I need to go out of my way as the local centre is concentrating on blood for the next six weeks. don’t have the time so hopefully in six weeks I’ll still have enough antibodies to make that next session.  I’m not sleeping well at all but that’s more likely to be stress related from work - you don’t need to have had covid to be stressed at the moment !  As @simFox says, that’s the consequence of the lockdown and restrictions. 

it’s pretty obvious when we go out for a longish walk that the after effects are there - you get home and just crash out exhausted ......it was never like that before ..... yes it’s only a virus but it’s a virus that you’re likely to catch and I am concerned about the occurrence in the population of PVS that we may see. There was enough of it about before covid ....... 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

30 per 100k, the bar getting lower and lower.

We could end up with many cities above London in lockdown, with the PM still claiming the norm is outside of them.

--

I came across this today, interesting reading.

Edited by Chrysalis

45 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Just as an aside, what do the yanks do if they can't afford healthcare? 

Is covid covered? 

And how do the yanks choose a hospital? Do they go to the nearest or have to shop around?

14 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

30 per 100k, the bar getting lower and lower.

We could end up with many cities above London in lockdown, with the PM still claiming the norm is outside of them.

--

I came across this today, interesting reading.

Surely we end up with masks being required in schools ........ but you can be sure it will take weeks to get there and unnecessary transmission will occur because of it .....

• Like 1

After a reasonably good showing in all of this at the start Ireland has gone full Leicester City post lockdown form in the last fortnight.

Outbreaks linked to Meat Processing Factories caused 3 counties to be locked down in the Midlands region.

To make matters worse they decided to ban spectators at GAA matches which had been capped at 200 beforehand and had no real cases amongst spectators. The Meat Processing plants remain open despite being a major cause of cases rising.

Then to top it all off as new restrictions were placed n Tuesday wrt people gathering at functions 80 people including several high profile politicians were found to be at a golfing society event in Galway yesterday.

Fianna Fail are in power again. I had low expectations for them from the very start. But still this is nearly worse than you could imagine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick said:

Croatia, Austria and Trinidad and Tobago have been added to the quarantine air bridge list...

England apparently gone up 3 x infection rate this week... 

Bloody Nora.

I wonder if Nora has been tested..??

17 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I'd assume New Street would be a large risk of potential transmission, with the number of people using the services daily

New Street is dead. I went on the train in Brum for the first time this week. Very few on it. Its the same effect in London - centre is dead, suburbs busy. 

They will do the same to the West Mids what they did to Greater Manchester announcing a huge area of lockdown over miles upon miles but in reality it’s certain post codes where it’s high. 

They keep announcing local lockdowns, it will get to a point where very few of the major cities don’t have a lockdown. That’s the nature of the beast, larger cities with their population densities and housing arrangements are bound to have higher infection rates. 

In reality it’s all clothing - they have retained restaurants and pubs to push for the Rishi deal, if they think it’s only the households eating out at each table..... 

Theyd have simply been better to just announce a nationwide ban of households mixing in private premises 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

14 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I don't understand why we don't make people take tests when they land into this country, and then maybe one again a few days later. If both come back as negative then you can exit quarantine, rather than self isolating for the 14 days atm. I'm probably missing something out though on why this isn't possible.

Iceland do this - when you enter the country you have 24 hours quarantine and your result is revealed. 

However it’s £70 a pop and it’s paid for by the traveller. 

I am guessing the govt don’t want the additional strain on the testing labs 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

New Street is dead. I went on the train in Brum for the first time this week. Very few on it. Its the same effect in London - centre is dead, suburbs busy. 

They will do the same to the West Mids what they did to Greater Manchester announcing a huge area of lockdown over miles upon miles but in reality it’s certain post codes where it’s high. 

They keep announcing local lockdowns, it will get to a point where very few of the major cities don’t have a lockdown. That’s the nature of the beast, larger cities with their population densities and housing arrangements are bound to have higher infection rates. 

In reality it’s all clothing - they have retained restaurants and pubs to push for the Rishi deal, if they think it’s only the households eating out at each table..... 

Theyd have simply been better to just announce a nationwide ban of households mixing in private premises 

New Street is dead at times, mornings aren't too busy, but afternoons do have a fair few crowds. Trains themselves are getting busier and University station is certainly filling up in the mornings.

14 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

People who go abroad are least likely to isolate? Wow 

If someone knowingly chose to go somewhere that meant quarantine afterwards, yeah I'd wager so. Everyone I know who has gone abroad are all the "it's just a cold" brigade, who are posting pictures of themselves down the pub with large groups of people 5 minutes after getting back from their holiday when they are meant to be in quarantine. 

• Like 1

Just now, Babylon said:

If someone knowingly chose to go somewhere that meant quarantine afterwards, yeah I'd wager so. Everyone I know who has gone abroad are all the "it's just a cold" brigade, who are posting pictures of themselves down the pub with large groups of people 5 minutes after getting back from their holiday when they are meant to be in quarantine. 

Well they are arseholes then aren’t they, people I know that have gone abroad are the opposite to be honest.

14 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Slightly barbed comment on those that choose to live a life as best they can rather than hole up terrified.....but I agree with the rhetorical question you pose. 

No, those who go abroad are prob the very last people who'd give a shite about quarantine. And nor would I, unless it was patently obvious I'd been mixing in a high risk environment, like a hospital covid ward. 

Because you can't possibly live a full and interesting life without two weeks in Benidorm. 

Yeah **** anyone else who you purposely or accidentally mix with who might work in those environments. 

• Like 2

When do people want to see things opened up again at the latest?

Does anybody on here not have a time limit?

I think I can handle this till Jan-Feb - whether certain industries can, I'm not sure of that. I want to hear long term plans sooner though.

When I say opened up again, I mean crowds allowed at events, and basically being able to live life enjoyably and as normal.

If we're still dealing with the same scare mongering and hiding away tactics next April/May with no long term plan announced or in place I can see this becoming a horrible country to live in.

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

When do people want to see things opened up again at the latest?

Does anybody on here not have a time limit?

I think I can handle this till Jan-Feb - whether certain industries can, I'm not sure of that. I want to hear long term plans sooner though.

When I say opened up again, I mean crowds allowed at events, and basically being able to live life enjoyably and as normal.

If we're still dealing with the same scare mongering and hiding away tactics next April/May with no long term plan announced or in place I can see this becoming a horrible country to live in.

IMO there's no reason we can't have crowds at events from October, we just have to be sensible about it and limit capacity.

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

6 deaths announced yesterday, 2 deaths announced today.

https://www.oxfordhealth.nhs.uk/news/coronavirus-covid-19/

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/deaths

Yet the R rate is 'going up' so we're likely to see stricter measures implemented again?

Because not all cases lead to deaths. Many of the 1000 new cases are 18-30yr olds, who generally aren't severely impacted. It's when these get transmitted to your seriously ill or elderly when we see deaths increase. That's why we see restrictions, to stop that happening and reduce the infection rate way down

30 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Because not all cases lead to deaths. Many of the 1000 new cases are 18-30yr olds, who generally aren't severely impacted. It's when these get transmitted to your seriously ill or elderly when we see deaths increase. That's why we see restrictions, to stop that happening and reduce the infection rate way down

The R rate will never drop far below one, we have so little cases that even a spike of 30 or 40 people in a pub will cause the R rate to jump up.

The deaths were plastered everywhere when they were high, now they're low and 2 people are dying a day we're being told to focus on cases. We're pretty much back to normal now other than wearing masks and nightclubs being open, and we're seeing so few deaths and the R rate is between 0.8-1.1, so I see little need in forcing us back into stricter measures again.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

The rate has been increasing for a while now though while hospitalisations and death rates have been decreasing.