Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 hours ago, Nalis said:

It would be interesting to know what percentage of people have lasting damage. I know of about 10 people who have tested positive and one of them is constantly fatigued, the rest are fine now.

I think the problem is we just don't know. We also don't know whether those who appear to have recovered ok have in fact suffered, as yet, undetected long term damage to lungs, kidneys or even their heart. This might have a very long tail of death associated with it but then again may not. One of the obvious reasons why governments are right to try and keep a lid on things I suppose.

2 hours ago, Durnerz said:

Had a test the other week which thankfully came back negative. The test is not the most pleasant i'll be honest but glad to have the right result.

The wife and I have both had tests. Minor sniffles so thought it was a civic duty to phone in to the helpline and they told us to come in for tests (separate occasions). Never any real probability that we had the infection here in Perth as there haven’t been any in the community for over 4 months. They seem to want to test anyone who’s willing.

Anyway, obviously they came back negative, within about 24 hours. Really no problem at all. Very minor discomfort with the throat swab, but the nose swab was just a slight tickle, nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. If you have any symptoms you really shouldn’t be put off by the look of the test. It really is no worse than practically anything else that happens at the doctors. Much rather that than a prostate exam!

2 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

The wife and I have both had tests. Minor sniffles so thought it was a civic duty to phone in to the helpline and they told us to come in for tests (separate occasions). Never any real probability that we had the infection here in Perth as there haven’t been any in the community for over 4 months. They seem to want to test anyone who’s willing.

Anyway, obviously they came back negative, within about 24 hours. Really no problem at all. Very minor discomfort with the throat swab, but the nose swab was just a slight tickle, nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. If you have any symptoms you really shouldn’t be put off by the look of the test. It really is no worse than practically anything else that happens at the doctors. Much rather that than a prostate exam!

I didn't think minor sniffles were a symptom of Covid? 

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

My 3 year has cold symptoms, runny nose, sneezing and bit of a cough but not the major symptom.  I'm obviously pretty sure it's just a cold but you can't help but doubt. Inevitably i will have this cold in a few days and I'll probably feel obliged to get a test to be safe. 

Went to Westfield today - lots of mask-wearing inside the shopping centre and also in the shops. Was pleasantly surprised to be honest.

What was weird/unexpected - literally the only people I saw not wearing masks were black people. Genuinely couldn't figure out why given they're most at risk after studies done a month or two ago about who is more likely to suffer worse from COVID?

6 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Sorry just my characterisation of a minor cold. Actually a slight sore throat as well.

It’s probably a bit different over here as we don’t really have any virus at the moment so they really seem to be after volunteers with even vaguely related symptoms to check that there is nothing out there.

Edit: Here’s an Aussie government review of symptoms. Sore throat and runny nose marked as “Sometimes”. Sneezing definitely not a symptom.

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2020/04/coronavirus-covid-19-identifying-the-symptoms.pdf

Edited by WigstonWanderer

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Went to Westfield today - lots of mask-wearing inside the shopping centre and also in the shops. Was pleasantly surprised to be honest.

What was weird/unexpected - literally the only people I saw not wearing masks were black people. Genuinely couldn't figure out why given they're most at risk after studies done a month or two ago about who is more likely to suffer worse from COVID?

brain power

• Haha 1

On 20/08/2020 at 22:12, st albans fox said:

Surely we end up with masks being required in schools ........ but you can be sure it will take weeks to get there and unnecessary transmission will occur because of it .....

You not wrong.

Meanwhile, this is up on the mercury's website.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/city-council-health-bosses-say-4442783

So public health bosses in Leicester asked for people to be allowed in families gardens in small numbers, they asked for beauty salons to open also.  As is probably expected at this point, the government approved the money making request and denied allowing to meet in their gardens, I find it very hard to believe that is more risky than letting people mix whilst they drunk and eat out.

Meanwhile the farce which is the X people per 100k metric continues to be a joke.

So looking at various bbc news articles, I see the following quotes.

Gov UK claims average cases per 100k people per authority is 9 per 100k.

European institution says the UK average is 22 per 100k.

WHO says a similar number.

So more figure fiddling to suit an agenda.  These are all published by one news outlet as if they are a news robot, you would think a journalist would see the inconsistency and if they had pride in their job they would ask ministers why they not matching up.

I have had various emails going back and forwards with east midlands news and bbc radio Leicester, initially they said they would be interested, but after I sent them the document which proves tests from authority to authority is highly inconsistent, they suddenly have closed up saying "it is not in the national interest" to pursue this story.  Take that as you will, me thinks the bbc is been held on a leash.

The travel restrictions I see are very all over the place as well, its in out in out shake it all about with what countries are restricted and not.

--update--

Interestingly the Leicester cases are down to the 40s per 100k now.

Graphs here showing historical for the county areas, has shown that melton hit the 40s during August, and they were in no lockdown at all, and they were also on a upward trend at the time.  So we are seeing inconsistencies.

Charnwood is at 45 vs Leicester 47.  Some northern cities were put in lockdown at barely 30 per 100k, how has Charnwood escaped it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charnwood_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Swindon at 42 (49 last week) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Swindon_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Pendle 69.5 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendle_(UK_Parliament_constituency) , is restrictions, but not a full lockdown, I think they have same household restrictions as us.

Also interesting is only part of Pendle is locked down and also parts of Blackburn got released, all of Leicester is still in restrictions.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/coronavirus-infection-rates-jump-up-4441412

Edited by Chrysalis

On 21/08/2020 at 10:07, Babylon said:

If someone knowingly chose to go somewhere that meant quarantine afterwards, yeah I'd wager so. Everyone I know who has gone abroad are all the "it's just a cold" brigade, who are posting pictures of themselves down the pub with large groups of people 5 minutes after getting back from their holiday when they are meant to be in quarantine. 

Pretty much, why else would people spend £100's to get back before the cut-off date? Because of course they have no interest in isolating.

apparent WHO now saying that medical masks should now be worn by the over sixties and vulnerable to protect them 

the guidance on masks has been directly proportional to the availability to the medical profession around the world 

it’s so transparent  - why not just be honest. My wife wears one of these cloth coverings with a rainbow on it. If she hadn’t already had it then I would insist she (and the older kids) wear a disposable 3 ply surgical type. 

There has been plenty of availability on surgical 3 ply here since back end may. ( I’ve had 1.5m sitting doing nothing in my warehouse past two months with an irate Chinese owner wondering why no one wants them) .  the govt message has again been questionable  - luckily we had v low virus occurrence through June. 

as transmission picks up we need to protect ourselves better whilst staying open !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

apparent WHO now saying that medical masks should now be worn by the over sixties and vulnerable to protect them 

the guidance on masks has been directly proportional to the availability to the medical profession around the world 

it’s so transparent  - why not just be honest. My wife wears one of these cloth coverings with a rainbow on it. If she hadn’t already had it then I would insist she (and the older kids) wear a disposable 3 ply surgical type. 

There has been plenty of availability on surgical 3 ply here since back end may. ( I’ve had 1.5m sitting doing nothing in my warehouse past two months with an irate Chinese owner wondering why no one wants them) .  the govt message has again been questionable  - luckily we had v low virus occurrence through June. 

as transmission picks up we need to protect ourselves better whilst staying open !

I bet if you had a “friend” in government, you’d soon shift them

16 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I bet if you had a “friend” in government, you’d soon shift them

Along with a contract to be the sole distributor of masks in the uk.

on a given day, globally:

• 26,283 people die of cancer;
  • 49,041 people die of cardiovascular diseases;
  • 4,383 people die of diabetes.

Mosquitoes take the lives of over 2,740 people, and….

And HUMANS kill an average of 1,287 fellow people, every single day.

keep them masks on!

• Like 1

On 22/08/2020 at 15:06, WigstonWanderer said:

I had the throat swab right on my gag reflex, was almost sick on the poor nurse.

The nose one pretty much went behind my eye socket - a slight eye waterer! 

2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

on a given day, globally:

• 26,283 people die of cancer;
  • 49,041 people die of cardiovascular diseases;
  • 4,383 people die of diabetes.

Mosquitoes take the lives of over 2,740 people, and….

And HUMANS kill an average of 1,287 fellow people, every single day.

keep them masks on!

Mozzies kill 2700 people everyday?

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Malaria, Dengue fever and Zika virus are all carried by Mosquitoes. Amongst many other diseases too.  

Malaria is quite common where I am, we take malarone in order to save our lives.

Took it for a week 10 years ago.

Call me a maverick, but yes you see mosquitos, but it's not like the air is thick with them, if you just act sensibly and test if you feel bad, a few injections sort it. No I've never had malaria.

Like all these diseases that kill you, if we all kept worrying about them most of us wouldn't leave the house and along comes covid and everyone's wetting the bed. You have to wonder what planet people think they're on.

On the grand scheme of nasty stuff that kills you, it's really not worth worrying about..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, simFox said:

Malaria is quite common where I am, we take malarone in order to save our lives.

Took it for a week 10 years ago.

Call me a maverick, but yes you see mosquitos, but it's not like the air is thick with them, if you just act sensibly and test if you feel bad, a few injections sort it. No I've never had malaria.

Like all these diseases that kill you, if we all kept worrying about them most of us wouldn't leave the house and along comes covid and everyone's wetting the bed. You have to wonder what planet people think they're on.

On the grand scheme of nasty stuff that kills you, it's really not worth worrying about..

Was more explaining to the comment adding context as to why Mosquitos are on the list. 

Malaria is well managed and there a fair few treatments and preventatives in place. Main ones affected are your poorer countries without access to bed nets or the treatment you mentioned.