Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Got to say that I’m much more hopeful now that places that have been hardest hit such as London and New York, etc, won’t have a second wave of infections, or at least nowhere near as bad as the first wave. Reasons are:

- I think it’s becoming clear that having had the infection does confer immunity, and that it may well last for some time. There seems to be very little evidence of people getting it twice. If it does happen it’s probably very rare.

- Infection rates in such places is estimated to be around 20%, and while this is insufficient for full herd immunity, it will help, and may help a great deal if as suspected, the people who have already been infected are disproportionately the ones most likely to spread the disease.

- Add in basic interventions such as use of masks, social distancing, hand hygiene, etc, and the total effect may be sufficient to keep the reproduction rate below 1.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I know this is satire but genuinely this is pretty much what they do. I was watching BBC breakfast the other week and Nina Warhurst was doing the business news on the day it was confirmed we were entering a recession. Despite all the people she spoke to telling her whilst it was bad, all being well it should be short recession we'll get out of quickly, she kept pushing a negative narrative. The news thrives off negativity. Theres not much of a story if this is a short recession, there's no story if covid starts to slow down, so keep pushing the negative. There is story if schools can't go back  there is a story if thousands lose their jobs, so thats what they want. And I'm not saying that negative things shouldn't be reported, we all know life isn't great at the minute, but the media really need to stop chasing the negative side just to create a story, when all other evidence is pointing the other way.

The sole purpose of the media is to promote fear.

45 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I know this is satire but genuinely this is pretty much what they do. I was watching BBC breakfast the other week and Nina Warhurst was doing the business news on the day it was confirmed we were entering a recession. Despite all the people she spoke to telling her whilst it was bad, all being well it should be short recession we'll get out of quickly, she kept pushing a negative narrative. The news thrives off negativity. Theres not much of a story if this is a short recession, there's no story if covid starts to slow down, so keep pushing the negative. There is story if schools can't go back  there is a story if thousands lose their jobs, so thats what they want. And I'm not saying that negative things shouldn't be reported, we all know life isn't great at the minute, but the media really need to stop chasing the negative side just to create a story, when all other evidence is pointing the other way.

Agreed, the media pursuit of a “second wave” has been relentless. 
Bad news and negative stories will always make the headlines instead of anything remotely positive.

12 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Got to say that I’m much more hopeful now that places that have been hardest hit such as London and New York, etc, won’t have a second wave of infections, or at least nowhere near as bad as the first wave. Reasons are:

- I think it’s becoming clear that having had the infection does confer immunity, and that it may well last for some time. There seems to be very little evidence of people getting it twice. If it does happen it’s probably very rare.

- Infection rates in such places is estimated to be around 20%, and while this is insufficient for full herd immunity, it will help, and may help a great deal if as suspected, the people who have already been infected are disproportionately the ones most likely to spread the disease.

- Add in basic interventions such as use of masks, social distancing, hand hygiene, etc, and the total effect may be sufficient to keep the reproduction rate below 1.

So, in our country where it's already running loose, would you suggest local lockdowns for minutiae outbreaks are a sensible thing? 

Bearing in mind currently hospitals and ICUs have a lot of capacity right now.

Might as well build up some immunity before winter hits.

3 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Agreed, the media pursuit of a “second wave” has been relentless. 
Bad news and negative stories will always make the headlines instead of anything remotely positive.

If a second wave does happen, it will down to schools re-opening, although the government will pead innocent and blame it on winter approaching or some other crap.

53 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

If a second wave does happen, it will down to schools re-opening, although the government will pead innocent and blame it on winter approaching or some other crap.

What is the alternative? If children miss 12-18 months of school we're gonna have major issues further down the line.

Only 1 (yes one) deaths yesterday!

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

What is the alternative? If children miss 12-18 months of school we're gonna have major issues further down the line.

I don't know what the alternative is, let's hope there isn't a need for one, but if there is a second wave in about a months time, we'll know the reason why.

4 hours ago, Nod.E said:

So, in our country where it's already running loose, would you suggest local lockdowns for minutiae outbreaks are a sensible thing? 

Bearing in mind currently hospitals and ICUs have a lot of capacity right now.

Might as well build up some immunity before winter hits.

I think of it as more of a possible “get out of jail free“ card. This is only speculation and even if true, would only apply to places (cities & metropolitan areas) that have already had a severe outbreak. My instincts are to be cautious until either more is known, or there is no alternative. However, I appreciate that your attitude to risk is different to mine.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

12 hours ago, simFox said:

Hugh: Well, not really. The PCR test is not totally reliable. It’s coming up with quite a lot of false positives. What the viewers probably don’t realise is the test can detect remnants of the virus. So someone who had Covid back in July, say, could be recorded today as a positive test, but he or she is now fully recovered.

This is very true. PCR amplifies any small amount of viral DNA present, so even tiny amounts will show as positives. Not always a bad thing, but if people act like they're immune it could be bad later on. It ****ed me over a bit in my research project last year :angry:

Edited by UniFox21

On 23/08/2020 at 14:24, whoareyaaa said:

on a given day, globally:

• 26,283 people die of cancer;
  • 49,041 people die of cardiovascular diseases;
  • 4,383 people die of diabetes.

Mosquitoes take the lives of over 2,740 people, and….

And HUMANS kill an average of 1,287 fellow people, every single day.

keep them masks on!

And how much time, effort and money has been spent trying to deal with those causes of death?

Let's just bear in mind that the global deaths of coronavirus are despite taking unprecedented measures to control it, it also doesn't seem to have hit some of the poorest countries in Africa yet who are less well equipped to deal with it (and ignoring the speculation that many countries are under reporting the number of cases and deaths).

Even supposing that it will get no worse than this and the 4255 people that were reported to have died was an accurate figure. If wearing a mask could have stopped those 4255 people dying then is that not worth it?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Don't forget deaths are always lower at the weekend due to how they are recorded. The other thing to remember is we are now using a new drug that saves lives, but doesn't deal with the long term effects of a serious dose of covid.

But yes deaths are thankfully declining but that is because of the unprecedented measures taken to control the virus.

On 23/08/2020 at 21:05, simFox said:

Malaria is quite common where I am, we take malarone in order to save our lives.

Took it for a week 10 years ago.

Call me a maverick, but yes you see mosquitos, but it's not like the air is thick with them, if you just act sensibly and test if you feel bad, a few injections sort it. No I've never had malaria.

Like all these diseases that kill you, if we all kept worrying about them most of us wouldn't leave the house and along comes covid and everyone's wetting the bed. You have to wonder what planet people think they're on.

On the grand scheme of nasty stuff that kills you, it's really not worth worrying about..

In South Leicestershire? :o

https://www.9news.com.au/world/coronavirus-world-first-case-of-reinfection-confirmed-hong-kong-university/3d0b16cb-0527-4583-ac2d-7e3b159379ee

Seems to be a confirmed case of someone getting reinfected 4.5 months after the original infection. Hopefully a rare occurrence. The second infection was asymptomatic, but presumably still infectious, so presumably the original infection would cease to contribute to herd immunity at some point up to 4.5 months.

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

It's looking like a lot of schools will be asking pupils to wear masks, I'm torn on the issue myself, it would obviously help stop the spread, but I don't like to think of kids in masks for hours at a time.

Perhaps it's because they're more used to the idea, but that's been happening for six months over here and it's not really been an issue for the kids, even the very young ones.

• Like 1

Why are we not protecting the vulnerable and going on as normal?

Next week I’m due some treatment that I’ve been waiting over 6 months for, and have been advised to isolate (or distance and much as practicable) for 10

days after as it’ll lower my immune system. I completely understand, and if I don’t I’m more susceptible than most to the virus.

Shouldn’t this be how the country moves forward? Vulnerable protect themselves and everyone else carries on as normal (with the current SD measures in place)? 

• Like 1