Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

34 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think the chances of outdoors transmission changes with the seasons and weather conditions 

we know that the virus struggles to survive for any length of time in strong sunlight - and perhaps cold and still conditions in autumn/winter may well provide a reasonable transmission opportunity outdoors ..... the summer also saw little opportunity for outdoors transmission as there wasn’t much of it around anyway!  I believe we will see face coverings required outside within a few weeks in response to this increased risk - possible dependant on weather conditions. 

There’s also a fairly good chance the wind will blow it away.

3 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Hooking this up also  to.. "Has anyone booked  a Holiday yet"

If I had  a decent even low budget..No Real ties....no matter what age..!! Reasonably fit....

I would Chose an Holiday Island or group thereof.

Pack my Backpack...Jump on a plane, no plans, & Stay away for 4-8 months...

Go on the coast,go inland Pick up the Local lingo , be open, be prudent but with a bit of Devil may-care attitude,towards where your are,and where you might

Jump Off to...

I’m on Gran Canaria (apologies if I’ve mentioned it before) everyone where’s a mask, and it’s fantastic, although really quiet which I can only assume makes it far safer than back home. 

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

Sorry, but all it takes is one person with no symptoms and this is exactly why we're in the shit situation we are.

When will people learn to listen to the advice?

The selfish few are costing us.

You’re spot on Tom and especially about those bloody mothers and kids rubbing shoulders in school playgrounds. How many of them were maintaining the 2m rule I wonder? People who think being outside at close proximity to others, will you ever learn?

This is from patient.com:

Viral transmission is still possible outdoors, particularly if you're in close proximity with a lot of people. You want to avoid crowds as much as you possibly can.

And while it's tempting to hug a friend or family member outdoors, for the moment you need to resist and stay at least two metres apart during the meeting. The further away you are from a person, the lower the risk of transmitting the virus. And don't share food, drinks or utensils with anyone from outside your household.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Benguin said:

I think the practicality of asking the medicaly exempt to obtain a note from their GP is underestimated here and would penalise innocents rather than those fraudulently claiming  they’re exempt. There’s possibly some merit to what others have suggested regarding a one size fits all mask exemption card. 

You're certainly right there.  Someone who is already recoreded as having severe asthma can presumably get a note from the practice nurse.  (Doctors, at least where I live, being out of reach.)  But what about people with some form of mild lung issue that makes them pant for breath with a mask on?  (Don't believe those people who claim a mask makes no difference at all.  Why would your glasses steam up if air was passing through unhindered?)  So someone who has no problems worth a doctor's concern in normal conditions but can't wear a mask needs to get a doctor's note.

So they ring the practice nurse and explain their symptoms.  The practice nurse passes the records to the doctor, who if he is feeling generous will ring back and carry out an examination over the phone.  Which is no examination of course,because stethoscopes don't work well on the phone.  And the doctor then has to decide either to bring you in for a face to face examination, which they are avoiding at any price, or else think "what the heck" and issue the certificate anyway.

So the enthusiastic system-dodger gets his certificate while the long suffering pensioner hasn't the energy to go through with it.

Incidentally, lip readers' companions are also exempt.  And not all lip readers are registered deaf.  Would the "one size fits all mask exemption card" have a marking that indicates I don't have to wear a mask when I'm with my mother but I do have to when I'm not?  ;)

Whether you’re a conspiracy theorist, someone who thinks it only affects a bunch of old coffin dodgers, a strident libertarian who thinks your right to do as you please trumps everyone else’s right to go about their business in safety, or just an ordinary person trying to make sense of it all, this is probably the chart to keep an eye on.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/healthcare

Will hospital admissions take off again like they did last time? Who knows, but please don’t say there is nothing of concern.

• Thanks 1

Guest Harrydc
19 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

To be perfectly honest, i don't know, but it opens a can of worms regarding areas having to lockdown and then the people in that area complaining about the lockdown. There does seem to be some the start of people actively going against lockdowns, the fining of that gym in liverpool and then 20 odd grand being donated to pay the fine plus that comedy club in the same city announcing they'll donate proceeds from their gigs to help keep gyms open. 

Does it not occur to you that maybe places are being locked down for no good reason and absolutely zero scientific evidence? 

10 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

That’s true, I was thinking you meant across different countries as that wouldn’t be that easy.

You also see in " has anybody booked an Holiday yet"... People going to Greece +( islands) and other destinations...

So my suggestion was for those who could afford the time,on a tight budget, Why Not get lost for a few months....

Depends obviously on flights and First Stage restrictions....Plus  prudency with Health certificates....

2 friends,(seperately)from Germany went Off to Madiera, One until March, and the other until Middle of January....They went in September...

One is taking Pot luck,the other booked simple Local BBs to start with....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I’m on Gran Canaria (apologies if I’ve mentioned it before) everyone where’s a mask, and it’s fantastic, although really quiet which I can only assume makes it far safer than back home. 

Gud on ya..!!! how long for???

If the government and people in general are really serious about getting infections down then they need to do something about schools and universities. It is clear as day that it has been there reopening that has driven the huge spike in infections (although deaths remain incredibly low by comparison).

You can moan about the odd person not wearing their mask, want it mandatory outdoors and think that a tier 3 lockdown on hospitality is a good move but its mere windowdressing if you're not going to deal with the main cause of infections.

Students are still gonna be cooped up in halls and terrace housing and little johnny is still gonna be clambering and dribbling over his mates.

12 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

If the government and people in general are really serious about getting infections down then they need to do something about schools and universities. It is clear as day that it has been there reopening that has driven the huge spike in infections (although deaths remain incredibly low by comparison).

You can moan about the odd person not wearing their mask, want it mandatory outdoors and think that a tier 3 lockdown on hospitality is a good move but its mere windowdressing if you're not going to deal with the main cause of infections.

Students are still gonna be cooped up in halls and terrace housing and little johnny is still gonna be clambering and dribbling over his mates.

How dare you claim that with your common sense??

The narrative in the media is that its the evil hospitality sector with their dastardly pubs causing the recent spikes despite data clearly suggesting otherwise.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

The narrative in the media is that its the evil hospitality sector with their dastardly pubs causing the recent spikes despite data clearly suggesting otherwise.

Yep from the moment they reopened they were saving up their tens of thousands of infections, just waiting a couple of months for schools and unis to reopen and then 2 weeks later... bam take that!

1 hour ago, Harrydc said:

Does it not occur to you that maybe places are being locked down for no good reason and absolutely zero scientific evidence? 

Give it a rest mate

And yet the Ireland Department of Health yesterday said there were 46,429 confirmed case and 1,838 deaths. 

Clicks on twitter feed, sees them posting shite like this... https://aobrempongnana.wordpress.com/2020/05/15/who-offered-me-20million-dollars-to-put-a-little-toxic-in-my-covid-19-remedy-madagascar-president-exposes-who/

Edited by Babylon

Course it does. And it's gonna be interesting to see public reaction over the next few weeks and the counter reaction from the authorities.

47 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Is it? It's been clearly stated and reported by the government and the press that keeping education going is a priority. If that's their decision, then we have got to target and look at other areas. Whether that's personal lives and not letting people mix at home or certain settings.  It's clear why education is a priority as the knock-on effects are huge of a generation missing out of proper schooling, then you have the knockoff of parents not working because kids are at home and grandparents having to care more for kids etc. 

I've seen people going on about of well pubs only cause this small percentage, and gyms only cause that small percentage, restaurants only cause another small percentage. The point is they all add up. 

• Like 3

I honestly don't give a **** how many people have got the virus.  The only interesting measures are how the NHS is coping.  Numbers in hospital, numbers in ICU, numbers on ventilation.  Vs capacity. So far we are miles off where we were at the peak, and we don't seem to be increasing anything like as quickly as we did, despite the shitty time of year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

In recent local lockdowns, only 1 out of 20 places had reduced cases. They do not work. 

It's currently flaming through the school / uni population and we're heading into the winter months, so of course they are unlikely to go down rapidly. It's about control which is reducing the spread where we can. You can't count cases that have been stopped due to it can you?

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I honestly don't give a **** how many people have got the virus.  The only interesting measures are how the NHS is coping.  Numbers in hospital, numbers in ICU, numbers on ventilation.  Vs capacity. So far we are miles off where we were at the peak, and we don't seem to be increasing anything like as quickly as we did, despite the shitty time of year.

Looking at the graph we do seem to be reaching that point where it gets exponential and goes north rapidly. It keeps following this curve by mid to late November there are big issues again. 

Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 10.48.36.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It's currently flaming through the school / uni population and we're heading into the winter months, so of course they are unlikely to go down rapidly. It's about control which is reducing the spread where we can. You can't count cases that have been stopped due to it can you?

Those goalposts keep moving don't they.  It seems to be the case that if people are wearing masks and being careful there is not a lot else to be gained from these current restrictions if you keep going to work and keep the kids in school and students at uni.  

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Is it? It's been clearly stated and reported by the government and the press that keeping education going is a priority. If that's their decision, then we have got to target and look at other areas. Whether that's personal lives and not letting people mix at home or certain settings.  It's clear why education is a priority as the knock-on effects are huge of a generation missing out of proper schooling, then you have the knockoff of parents not working because kids are at home and grandparents having to care more for kids etc. 

I've seen people going on about of well pubs only cause this small percentage, and gyms only cause that small percentage, restaurants only cause another small percentage. The point is they all add up. 

Well yeah, the priority is education for the reasons you've mentioned but my point is that hospitality is getting most of the blame for the rise in cases.

I dont get why it cant just be said by the media that schools and unis have been the major driving force in the hockey tick in cases and closing pubs and restaurants are the trade off in trying to negate it, as opposed to just blaming hospitality outright? 

Think that key piece of clarification and transparency from the government and media outlets would gain a modicum of respect from the public.

Just now, Babylon said:

Looking at the graph we do seem to be reaching that point where it gets exponential and goes north rapidly. It keeps following this curve by mid to late November there are big issues again. 

Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 10.48.36.png

If you keep comparing to a period where we had sod all testing then yes it does.  But in reality that left side should be something like 100 times higher, which means now is very very low.

• Like 1