Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

8 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I could probably count on one hand the amount of people I've seen without a mask in a shop in months. Must be more abiding up here, a little bit more in the shopping centre but not in shops themselves.

It's becoming a problem.  It's precisely that because everyone knows it can't be enforced properly.

I don't agree with it.  Masks should have been introduced much, much earlier and then removed during the summer months.  Still, I go along with it and wear one because it is the polite thing to do.  

I get the impression many places are just following guidance, for following guidance's sake, rather than actually imposing it and policing it.  Not that they really can do that anyway.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It's becoming a problem.  It's precisely that because everyone knows it can't be enforced properly.

I don't agree with it.  Masks should have been introduced much, much earlier.  Still, I go along with it and wear one because it is the polite thing to do.  

I get the impression many places are just following guidance, for following guidance's sake, rather than actually imposing it and policing it.  Not that they really can do that anyway.

Granted I've only been in a couple of pubs since the masks rules were  introduced but they've been way more strict than shops have been. People turned away or walking out when asked lol

Like most, I've worn my mask whenever I've had too without question. Even if I'm not sure it makes that much difference. 

There are bigger issues than mask wearing currently though. 

• Like 1

Hooking this up also  to.. "Has anyone booked  a Holiday yet"

If I had  a decent even low budget..No Real ties....no matter what age..!! Reasonably fit....

I would Chose an Holiday Island or group thereof.

Pack my Backpack...Jump on a plane, no plans, & Stay away for 4-8 months...

Go on the coast,go inland Pick up the Local lingo , be open, be prudent but with a bit of Devil may-care attitude,towards where your are,and where you might

Jump Off to...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Fewer than half the customers in Oadby Sainsburys wearing masks when I shopped today. I asked at customer services what company policy is, and they replied that 'we request that customers wear a mask but we can't make them if they claim to have a medical condition that exempts them'. I asked if proof of a medical condition is required, and they answered no. Farcical.

Asian area. Not that I think masks make much difference, but even so, as a sweeping generalisation the Asian community is laughably non compliant. Partly I love it, the absolute indifference to.authority.  Partly I find it staggering that with so many  in multi generational households, they are so cavalier with the grandma's health

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

im pretty sure having schools open is a lot more damaging than having a few people walk around the shops without a mask, barmy

I think it’s more important that kids are in school than not all of us wear masks ... 

the authorities have had months to come up with a plan for those who can be exempt from wearing a mask - official cards that are obtained via your GP and worn around the neck - really not difficult ....

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Hooking this up also  to.. "Has anyone booked  a Holiday yet"

If I had  a decent even low budget..No Real ties....no matter what age..!! Reasonably fit....

I would Chose an Holiday Island or group thereof.

Pack my Backpack...Jump on a plane, no plans, & Stay away for 4-8 months...

Go on the coast,go inland Pick up the Local lingo , be open, be prudent but with a bit of Devil may-care attitude,towards where your are,and where you might

Jump Off to...

Not sure if you are ever sober but if so you might have noticed travel isn’t so easy at present.

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think it’s more important that kids are in school than not all of us wear masks ... 

the authorities have had months to come up with a plan for those who can be exempt from wearing a mask - official cards that are obtained via your GP and worn around the neck - really not difficult ....

Honestly, people would then need to have another way to show the public why they are exempt from wearing an official card around their necks to say they are exempt from wearing a mask.

31 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Asian area. Not that I think masks make much difference, but even so, as a sweeping generalisation the Asian community is laughably non compliant. Partly I love it, the absolute indifference to.authority.  Partly I find it staggering that with so many  in multi generational households, they are so cavalier with the grandma's health

I've been down the Melton / Belgrave  Roads a lot recently and have to say that most people I see out the window are wearing a mask outside. This is only an observation though. Bit harsh to say the Asian community are 'laughably non-compliant' 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Fewer than half the customers in Oadby Sainsburys wearing masks when I shopped today. I asked at customer services what company policy is, and they replied that 'we request that customers wear a mask but we can't make them if they claim to have a medical condition that exempts them'. I asked if proof of a medical condition is required, and they answered no. Farcical.

Not really the shopkeepers onus to enforce it though is it? Proof of medical exemption isn’t as objective as laws they do enforce such as selling alcohol to minors.

I think peer pressure is the best way to get people to think about wearing masks. I employ dirty looks as do a lot of other shoppers and I hope this makes people think.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Not really the shopkeepers onus to enforce it though is it?

I disagree.

Their decision is purely based on economics.

Proof of medical exemption isn’t as objective as laws they do enforce such as selling alcohol to minors.

A note from their GP would suffice.

I think peer pressure is the best way to get people to think about wearing masks. I employ dirty looks as do a lot of other shoppers and I hope this makes people think.

Not in my experience.

The maskless ones appear more 'Trumpian' in their righteous indignation, by the day.

The social divide feels almost as polorised as it was over Brexit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

When I pick my nephew up from school often I'm the only one wearing a mask, I don't understand why so many don't want to wear them.

I walked past a primary school yesterday as the parents were picking the kids up.

No masks, no social distancing. 

But they'll be the first to complain when more restrictions come in.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I walked past a primary school yesterday as the parents were picking the kids up.

No masks, no social distancing. 

But they'll be the first to complain when more restrictions come in.

But you don't need or have to wear masks outside. It's basically nigh on impossible to catch outside. Which pisses me.off even more that indoor cinemas are showing outdoor football matches in outdoor empty stadia

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

But you don't need or have to wear masks outside. It's basically nigh on impossible to catch outside. Which pisses me.off even more that indoor cinemas are showing outdoor football matches in outdoor empty stadia

But groups of around 10 mums literally rubbing shoulders is ok? 

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Honestly, people would then need to have another way to show the public why they are exempt from wearing an official card around their necks to say they are exempt from wearing a mask.

But they wouldn’t ..... it would just highlight those who aren’t wearing for non medical/mental issue reasons and we can all tut at them ! 

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Tbh i stand at junior football and it's bone of the few pleasures left in life where there's normal human behaviour. Unless it's face to face breathing on each other (unlikely) it's entirely safe

Sorry, but all it takes is one person with no symptoms and this is exactly why we're in the shit situation we are.

When will people learn to listen to the advice?

The selfish few are costing us.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Buce said:

I disagree.

Their decision is purely based on economics.

A note from their GP would suffice.

Not in my experience.

The maskless ones appear more 'Trumpian' in their righteous indignation, by the day.

The social divide feels almost as polorised as it was over Brexit.

I don’t think a spotty 17 year old checkout assistants decision is based on economics but rather there isn’t an objective way to verify medical exemption.

If it’s store policy to not enforce mask wearing there’s an argument to be made that it’s based on economics but even so I don’t think it should fall to shop owners to enforce the law without a government backed approach to how to do it. Hence the onus is on the government not the shopkeepers imo.

I think the practicality of asking the medicaly exempt to obtain a note from their GP is underestimated here and would penalise innocents rather than those fraudulently claiming  they’re exempt. There’s possibly some merit to what others have suggested regarding a one size fits all mask exemption card. 

Until anything like that is imposed by the government, I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect shop owners to be kicking out anyone not wearing a mask though. Challenge it yes but not deny custom.

Agree with the last point about ardent mask advocates/deniers although I don’t see this issue being based on peoples political compasses but rather based on intelligence or lack thereof. 

21 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm not one of the intelligent ones who can dig out references....but I've read and heard multiple times that outdoors transmission is ultra difficult. 

Perhaps someone less lazy than me can dig out a relevant report.

As for selfish, I reckon I've reduced my contact with other members of the public 100 fold. No office colleagues now. No train trips once a week. No football. Pubs and nights out are rare. I've lost 2 flights this year. I don't see my mum and dad indoors. I do my bit, pal.

I think the chances of outdoors transmission changes with the seasons and weather conditions 

we know that the virus struggles to survive for any length of time in strong sunlight - and perhaps cold and still conditions in autumn/winter may well provide a reasonable transmission opportunity outdoors ..... the summer also saw little opportunity for outdoors transmission as there wasn’t much of it around anyway!  I believe we will see face coverings required outside within a few weeks in response to this increased risk - possible dependant on weather conditions. 

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Tbh i stand at junior football and it's bone of the few pleasures left in life where there's normal human behaviour. Unless it's face to face breathing on each other (unlikely) it's entirely safe

I’ve been going to a few Saturday non league games, couple of mates and a few cans, good laugh. Cup game this week, shilton v ellistown, support local football.

• Like 2