Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Even more impressively, a false positive rate of 2.3% means that with Korea having undergone 18396 tests and 110 positive results today, they're sitting on a very tidy -313 positive cases!

...if Carlsberg did statistical analysis, huh?

Same for Aus. We’re doing about 50k tests and finding ~ 25 positives.

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

In July as far as I can make out about 120,000 tests were carried out per day. Following your logic there should have been around 3,000 false positives. Yet there were only around 650 positives in total.

His logic isn't quite right is it, unless there we're 120000 positive results. 

Edited by yorkie1999

Maybe we should have a referendum to decide what happens next? They always solve any issues.

Having derby games in Glasgow and Liverpool just after pub closures and when you'rediscouraging people to go in people's houses is not ideal. 

I understand wanting to have local restrictions rather than a national one, they want areas with lowish cases to continue spending and not have to pay for people to not be at work. It's only a matter of time though. 

Edited by RowlattsFox

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

its wrong - you can only have a false positive if its a positive result !

and add to that many of the tests carried out in the early months were done on people who were actually ill so less likely to be false positives

and of the 28 million tests carried out, a fair proportion aren't PCR tests - i wouldn't trust the govt data on number of tests carried out and which type anyway

Like I said happy to be corrected - i'm no expert, my calculations were a back of a fag packet job.

53 minutes ago, Mapperleyfox said:

Like I said happy to be corrected - i'm no expert, my calculations were a back of a fag packet job.

You do understand that the core concept of a false positive is that it has to be positive at the very least though? :D 

30 minutes ago, boots60 said:

4 new cases at the Co-op Anstey,

I'm not surprised, probably about 50-50 wear masks in the shops now.

When key workers come into contact with so many stupid & ignorant people this is bound to happen.

It ain't getting any better.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/four-staff-leicestershire-co-op-4608487

I fear it’ll get much much worse buddy

Was in a shop today where, despite a notice being as clear as daylight saying that wearing masks in the shop is mandatory being displayed via a ceiling above till, there were customers coming in without one in use but the worker behind the till turned a blind eye to it.

1 minute ago, Wymsey said:

Was in a shop today where, despite a notice being as clear as daylight saying that wearing masks in the shop is mandatory being displayed via a ceiling above till, there were customers coming in without one in use but the worker behind the till turned a blind eye to it.

Yes I’m sure they “turned a blind eye to it”

1 minute ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

If I worked in a shop I’d turn a blind eye to it as well, the hassle and aggression received wouldn’t be worth it.

This is the sad truth 

4 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Because so many selfish pig head twats claim they are 'mask exempt'. There is not one single health condition that means you can't wear a loose surgical mask over your mouth and nose. If your ability to breath was that bad you wouldn't be able to ****ing live without being bed ridden at home on oxygen.

We are allowing visitors onto our icu in rare cases, last week a young woman said she was not putting on a mask and if I wanted to see her 'exempt card', whatever that is. I told her she either wears a mask or she doesn't come inside. The face on her.

Imagine thinking surgeons are doing amazingly delicate ops for hours, sometimes nearly full days, whilst being starved of oxygen because of the face mask.

8 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

If I worked in a shop I’d turn a blind eye to it as well, the hassle and aggression received wouldn’t be worth it.

Just like to add that the shop workers have been on the frontline since March and their work is often overlooked, all credit to them 👏 

And no recognition whatsoever. people on the tills have been helping to keep this country running and probably more at risk than anyone simply because of the shear numbers involved.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Fewer than half the customers in Oadby Sainsburys wearing masks when I shopped today. I asked at customer services what company policy is, and they replied that 'we request that customers wear a mask but we can't make them if they claim to have a medical condition that exempts them'. I asked if proof of a medical condition is required, and they answered no. Farcical.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Buce said:

Fewer than half the customers in Oadby Sainsburys wearing masks when I shopped today. I asked at customer services what company policy is, and they replied that 'we request that customers wear a mask but we can't make them if they claim to have a medical condition that exempts them'. I asked if proof of a medical condition is required, and they answered no. Farcical.

That right there is the problem

Youre right, it is an absolute fookin farce 

11 hours ago, Lionator said:

So what do you do in Liverpool now? NHS covid beds are 95% full and the local epidemic is still rising so they're going to be overwhelmed, and are going to have to cancel non covid related medical routines anyway to create extra capacity. 

It's not an either/or issue. It's to protect the NHS and ultimately, the quicker you lockdown, the quicker you come out, which means less of a hit to the economy. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8842707/Liverpools-NHS-trust-claims-intensive-care-units-80-quieter-usual.html

2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I could probably count on one hand the amount of people I've seen without a mask in a shop in months. Must be more abiding up here, a little bit more in the shopping centre but not in shops themselves.

I was gonna day the same, I dont think I've noticed one person yet