Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

10 minutes ago, Lionator said:

The noises are that these vaccines, specifically the BioNTech/Pfizer and Astra Zeneca/Oxford ones are effective.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hope-for-covid-vaccine-at-new-year-25b52b86s

I suppose the next challenge will be convincing enough members of the public to be vaccinated.

Once vaccinations start, hospitalisations and deaths will naturally reduce and that's when measures will be dropped I would imagine. 

I feel that people will accept restrictions a lot more as long as they know there's an end, which is where an approved vaccine will change the game.

Does it say how long the vaccine gives you immunity? Or is it something that you need to get regularly vaccinated for? 

10 minutes ago, Lionator said:

The noises are that these vaccines, specifically the BioNTech/Pfizer and Astra Zeneca/Oxford ones are effective.

I suppose the next challenge will be convincing enough members of the public to be vaccinated.

Once vaccinations start, hospitalisations and deaths will naturally reduce and that's when measures will be dropped I would imagine. 

I feel that people will accept restrictions a lot more as long as they know there's an end, which is where an approved vaccine will change the game.

I would hope/think there would be enough people who want to be vaccined to create a certain degree of immunity in the community.

12 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Cases are clearly remaining constant here.  No rise.  Certainly not an exponential rise of any note.

image.png.9057ec91261431b41c1fd518dd0a8ad7.png

To be fair:

A - it was an estimate and not a statement of fact

B - some scientists get it wrong and can only work off the information at their disposal

C - he got it wrong but I think we can move on at this stage

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Does it say how long the vaccine gives you immunity? Or is it something that you need to get regularly vaccinated for? 

No but it's something that they wont know until it crops up. It'd be for longer than immunity caused by the virus itself for sure, but very unlikely to be forever.

23 minutes ago, Lionator said:

If it's down to convincing the public, just announce that everyone who has had the vaccine (or has signed up and waiting for it) is exempt from any lockdown measures already in place or to be introduced. Bingo.

16 minutes ago, Nalis said:

To be fair:

A - it was an estimate and not a statement of fact

B - some scientists get it wrong and can only work off the information at their disposal

C - he got it wrong but I think we can move on at this stage

Can someone check what he ACTUALLY said 

I thought that it was if we continue doing what we’re doing without any changes then we could have 50k cases per day by mid October 

he could NEVER be wrong because he knew we were going to make changes and anyone saying he is wrong has some kind of agenda 

And he could always refer to the ONS data rather than PHE which is generally 75/100% higher.  ONS say last week we had approx 27k cases per day. It’s not much of a punt to say that without the six restriction that could have been 50k a week on from that.

Edited by st albans fox

15 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

If it's down to convincing the public, just announce that everyone who has had the vaccine (or has signed up and waiting for it) is exempt from any lockdown measures already in place or to be introduced. Bingo.

Sounds like it should be so simple eh lol

Until some tinfoil hatters make a couple YouTube videos. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Can someone check what he ACTUALLY said 

I thought that it was if we continue doing what we’re doing without any changes then we could have 50k cases per day by mid October 

he could NEVER be wrong because he knew we were going to make changes and anyone saying he is wrong has some kind of agenda 

And he could always refer to the ONS data rather than PHE which is generally 75/100% higher.  ONS say last week we had approx 27k cases per day. It’s not much of a punt to say that without the six restriction that could have been 50k a week on from that.

That's comparing apples to oranges though in comparing the official positive count at the time vs the ONS figures now. I'm sure the ONS figures were higher back then in comparison with the official figures at the time.

Anyway, point of my post was that any prediction any estimated at the time is probably irrelevant now anyway so we can move on, my post didnt come across that way on reflection so my mistake on that.

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

I would hope/think there would be enough people who want to be vaccined to create a certain degree of immunity in the community.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

No but it's something that they wont know until it crops up. It'd be for longer than immunity caused by the virus itself for sure, but very unlikely to be forever.

As Lionator suggests, the immunity will likely be longer than that developed from having the virus itself. I'd imagine it could be similar ilk to seasonal flu where a vaccine is developed yearly if coronavirus continues to mutate. 

However, I would like to see some measures stay in place even with a vaccine 

Guest Harrydc
42 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

As Lionator suggests, the immunity will likely be longer than that developed from having the virus itself. I'd imagine it could be similar ilk to seasonal flu where a vaccine is developed yearly if coronavirus continues to mutate. 

However, I would like to see some measures stay in place even with a vaccine 

Measures such as what? 

Guest Harrydc
1 hour ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I people can't see how wrong this would be then I give up. 

What’s people experience of the track and trace app? The other half’s friend has been told to isolate for 14 days having been in close contact with someone yet she has barely been anywhere, and when she has she’s wore masks and kept well away from anyone. She can’t work out where she could have been in contact and will be deleting the app as soon as she’s free as she can’t afford another 2 weeks off work. 

14 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Measures such as what? 

Basic hygiene standards of shops/public transport for one. Before covid when did you last someone clean the handles/arm rests of a train? Same applies for trolleys in shops. I worked in one for 3 years and never saw them being cleaned or wiped down. I'd include the increase of sanitiser on the entrance to the shop too.

Wouldn't be adverse to mask wearing on trains/public transport, especially during peak times in tandem with keeping the increased carriage numbers. 

I could list a fair few more as well.

Guest Harrydc
13 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Basic hygiene standards of shops/public transport for one. Before covid when did you last someone clean the handles/arm rests of a train? Same applies for trolleys in shops. I worked in one for 3 years and never saw them being cleaned or wiped down. I'd include the increase of sanitiser on the entrance to the shop too.

Wouldn't be adverse to mask wearing on trains/public transport, especially during peak times in tandem with keeping the increased carriage numbers. 

I could list a fair few more as well.

But if the pandemic is over, why would we wear masks? What is there to be scared of? 

Guest Harrydc
7 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Could ask the same thing about wearing a thin piece of fabric on your face... what makes it so terrifying?

It's not human. I like to see people when I'm speaking to them, and if the pandemic is over then there is zero need for them. We didn't use them before, so why use them after. 

3 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

It's not human. I like to see people when I'm speaking to them, and if the pandemic is over then there is zero need for them. We didn't use them before, so why use them after. 

Hate to break it to you but no clothing is 'human'. Back to the jungle with you fella

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Given it's a common culture in many Asian countries, I wouldn't class it as "not human". It could be a common courtesy if you're ill, especially in peak cold season during winter months.

This also isn't a great motto to live by. Many of the things brought in have improved our health in general, why lose them?

I assume you agree with the rest of my suggestions given this was the only one you raised issue to.

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

The way we've gone about supporting the development of vaccines has been brilliant. We can all find holes and improvements in most of what the govt has done through this, but the vaccine task force has nailed it. 

2 minutes ago, Fktf said:

The way we've gone about supporting the development of vaccines has been brilliant. We can all find holes and improvements in most of what the govt has done through this, but the vaccine task force has nailed it. 

It's a well oiled process, this happens each year for the flu strain going around. 

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

It's a well oiled process, this happens each year for the flu strain going around. 

There's a similar argument to be made there for responses to the whole thing worldwide, to be honest - there are some exceptions, but as a rule the countries that have dealt with something like this before and/or have detailed plans in place to deal with it have done better at containing it all than those that have not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I take your point, but I think there is something a little more special about developing something for a novel virus?

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

There's a similar argument to be made there for responses to the whole thing worldwide, to be honest - there are some exceptions, but as a rule the countries that have dealt with something like this before and/or have detailed plans in place to deal with it have done better at containing it all than those that have not.

I'd assume a great example is many Asian countries who have experienced bird flu (for example) outbreaks before. 

1 minute ago, Fktf said:

I take your point, but I think there is something a little more special about developing something for a novel virus?

Similar, but each flu strain is novel and just a recombination of different antigens (H and N i believe). So each vaccine is novel in that sense. 

This covid virus isn't fully novel as there are previous known strains etc, but in this context you are partially correct and it has been more difficult. 

10 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I'd assume a great example is many Asian countries who have experienced bird flu (for example) outbreaks before. 

Similar, but each flu strain is novel and just a recombination of different antigens (H and N i believe). So each vaccine is novel in that sense. 

This covid virus isn't fully novel as there are previous known strains etc, but in this context you are partially correct and it has been more difficult. 

I think you're closer to this field than me, so its great to tell people this. Nice to know that we're working with techniques we already understand.

Part of my praise also comes from the way we've funded so many vaccines also. If more than 1 works, we'll have a range of options to use.