Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Disappointing really

While i was boring the delightful Mrs Oz to death during saturday's match. I talked about what a disappointment Youri has been this year... she casually said... "Yeh, you say that about all of your big signings"

So i had a look and.....

19/20 - Youri and Perez... both below the standard i hoped for

18/19 - Maddison and Ricardo... very happy with both of those signings

17/18 - Kelechi and Silva .... neither has (yet in KI's case) lived up to hopes.

16/17 - Slimani and Musa ... neither lived up to expectations.

Are my expectations too high... or are we failing to buy well?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

While i was boring the delightful Mrs Oz to death during saturday's match. I talked about what a disappointment Youri has been this year... she casually said... "Yeh, you say that about all of your big signings"

So i had a look and.....

17/18 - Kelechi and Silva .... neither has (yet in KI's case) lived up to hopes.

The trajectory with regards to signings seems to be improving though :thumbup:

(Ah...18/19, a fine vintage)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think you’re being unfair on both YT and Perez - neither are playing a role/position that they would prefer ......

You are right, so who do we sell to put players where they want to be?

We had six months with Youri...and then we seem not to know what to do with him?

Image result for metronome

This is the guy we desperately need in the middle of the park - could this be Youri with his passing range and his leadership skills?

We're top four in the league, Perez and Tielemans played a massive, massive part in carrying us there. If you don't see their value in our early season form or if you're somehow blaming our slump on them then you just don't actually understand the game. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

We're top four in the league, Perez and Tielemans played a massive, massive part in carrying us there. If you don't see their value in our early season form or if you're somehow blaming our slump on them then you just don't actually understand the game. 

Are they playing at the level you had hoped for pre season?

11 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Let's be clear, currently nobody is playing at the level I hoped for pre season. 

But if you look at the season as a whole I'd say Perez certainly defied expectation. He fit very, very smartly in to our passing system. Pereira is the one that draws all the plaudits down that right hand side but he's enabled by the triangle he fits in with Ayoze and YT. 

It's not a coincidence that we stopped winning games and started struggling when we dismantled that. 

People have this idea of creativity in football being about one player slotting in super through balls all over the park. It's daft, there's a reason individual assist figures are nearly always lower than goal scoring ones, it's because creativity is the job of the whole team. When the shape and system are good, the team is good. 

YT is a huge part in giving us that and he does it well. I'd say he's met my expectations, yeah, especially given how he'd struggled hugely at Monaco. 

People got worked up expecting him to come in and perform like a 25 year old Toni Kroos. It was dumb. Yes, he was in better form during his loan spell but players have peaks and troughs. He was never going to sustain that just as Vardy isn't always going to score in 11 straight games. 

Buuuut, for what it's worth I do understand the temptation to get mega excited for new signings. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Let's be clear, currently nobody is playing at the level I hoped for pre season. 

But if you look at the season as a whole I'd say Perez certainly defied expectation. He fit very, very smartly in to our passing system. Pereira is the one that draws all the plaudits down that right hand side but he's enabled the triangle he fits in with Ayoze and YT. 

It's not a coincidence that we stopped winning games and started struggling when we dismantled that. 

People have this idea of creativity in football being about one player slotting in super through balls all over the park. It's daft, there's a reason individual assist figures are nearly always lower than goal scoring ones, it's because creativity is the job of the whole team. When the shape and system are good, the team is good. 

YT is a huge part in giving us that and he does it well. I'd say he's met my expectations, yeah, especially given how he'd struggled hugely at Monaco. 

People got worked up expecting him to come in and perform like a 25 year old Toni Kroos. It was dumb. Yes, he was in better form during his loan spell but players have peaks abs troughs. He was never going to sustain that just as Vardy isn't always going to score in 11 straight games. 

Ill agree on Perez.

Youri, i disagree, he is below the level he demonstrated in the loan period and well beloew what he is capable of... i think that BR's positioning and tactics play a part, but ill stand by the fact that he is sub par ... a quick look at our ratings pages shows an average of  5.5 for YT over the past 8 games.

8 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

If you take the season as a whole they are playing better than I would had  hoped for. Top 4, League cup semi and still in the FA cup. It's our second best season in our history. 

As a team.. I agree.

My point was however that i think in the main, our big name signings have been a disapontment in the past few seasons

Just now, Aus Fox said:

There was once a time that big signing was Matt Mills...

and... "Only the weak feel pressure" - Beckford.

Both of whom were disappointing "big" signings... so :)

Really liked our 19/20 window! 

James Justin - Cheap buy for someone with great potential

Youri - Ok he hasn’t hit the heights of 18/19. But has anyone noticed he’s playing a bit deeper recently and Madders in more of a 10 role? Youri is at his best when he’s in the final third hitting through balls. He needs to be playing further up the pitch. Still young and will improve.

Praet - One of the best all round midfielders we’ve had since Drinkwater in 15/16. 

Perez - I think people are a bit harsh on Ayoze. Long term I can see him being an important squad player for us capable of covering RW/ST/CAM. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I think you’re being unfair on both YT and Perez - neither are playing a role/position that they would prefer ......

You're making excuses for them. They get the high wages to perform on the football pitch. I don't think either have been bad but neither have performed at a level indicating they were worth such a high fee or such high wages.

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

So i had a look and.....

Conveniently missing Ndidi, Evans, Maguire and soyuncu.

Edited by The whole world smiles

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

With Perez, I'd say he's doing about as well as expected. Tielemans has definitely been a bit of a disappointment in that he was our best player when he came on loan and this season he's not even Top 5. He absolutely can turn things around though.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Conveniently missing Ndidi, Evans, Maguire and soyuncu.

I was talking about the 2 biggest ($$) signings in those seasons.

Ii doubt anyone would be disappointed in the players youve mentioned. I would suggest they have exceeded expectations.Unlike the biggest signings

3 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

I was talking about the 2 biggest ($$) signings in those seasons.

Ii doubt anyone would be disappointed in the players youve mentioned. I would suggest they have exceeded expectations.Unlike the biggest signings

11 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...non of those were big money signings!!!

Maguire was the most we ever spent on a defender. Ndidi the most we ever spent on a midfielder. Evans had a relegation clause so didn't have to be big money but WBA had turned down 20 million for him in a previous window. Soyuncu was (and still is) our most expensive centre back ever at 19 million and depending on which report you read very similar to Ricardo in price. I guess "big money" is subjective.

• Like 1