Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Persist with lockdowns = ruin the economy and the knock on effect to the young and healthy and pretty much everyone will be felt for years

Try and return to normal = the majority of people being unaffected by covid seriously but the health service may become overwhelmed and in the short term with all eyes watching more and more people will die, mostly the vulnerable.

Consequences either way and a really hideous situation to try snd navigate through. However, the 1st and current option is potentially way more devastating to our populations lives longer term bit how do you go against what most countries are doing when the focus is on the seriously ill and the people who die with it. Ignorance is bliss to the majority of the world when the vulnerable get ill and die each and every year from various ailments and diseases and we all carry on living the rat race as for the majority it is the best way to achieve a good quality of life. We are now on the verge of ruins because an unknown pandemic has caused us to hibernate like a nuclear war.

Our handling of the whole pandemic has been very questionable but we are sacrificing the futures of our kids and the younger generation to try and protect a group of people who we might not be able to protect anyway long term anyway, its a terrible decision to have to make.

In the meantime we will all drives ourselves mad as well with fear. What a life, loving it. Hope we lose 10 nil tonight as well.

All true, and there is another case (possibly at least), what if the virus is being proliferated by the first group, and they could mitigate the risk to the second group but choose not too?

The lack of empathy shown during the pandemic seems very low, and the information is anecdotal at best, but if true, then group 1 need to get their actions in order first I would argue.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stix said:

Doesn’t bear thinking about. We’re at the absolute minimum number of staff members already, everyone else has been on furlough since the beginning. A week into a 45 day consultation for redundancy as well. Cutting a third of 200 employees by the end of August. 

After Monday nights announcement, work is the only thing keeping me sane at the minute. 

Think we're running about a quarter of staff at last count. 

Just got to keep fingers crossed that as this crap settles down then jobs rapidly start coming back. 

15 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Wow. I will pass on your chicken feed reasoning to my elderly relatives and tell them to buck their ideas up. I get everyone's worried, nobody knows how this is going to end, but we shouldn't damn others for our own benefit.

So we should damn ourselves for someone else's benefit? That's exactly what this lockdown is. 

All well and good saying we need to protect the old folk, we do. But it's not them that are going to be slapped back to the stone age with the economy in tatters is it.

Nor do I think trying to put people down who are scared and trying to vent is a positive thing. Let the dude have his rant. **** knows he's probably earned it. 

Just now, Innovindil said:

Think we're running about a quarter of staff at last count. 

Just got to keep fingers crossed that as this crap settles down then jobs rapidly start coming back. 

So we should damn ourselves for someone else's benefit? That's exactly what this lockdown is. 

All well and good saying we need to protect the old folk, we do. But it's not them that are going to be slapped back to the stone age with the economy in tatters is it.

Nor do I think trying to put people down who are scared and trying to vent is a positive thing. Let the dude have his rant. **** knows he's probably earned it. 

I was not trying to put him down, and I am pleased he got his rant and likely earned it (I do not know him or his position) 

We all live with what we have, but you clearly have some information on me and my suitably to rant in response to personal scenarios for which I too have my own concerns.

Sorry if a repeat.

Another temporary coronavirus testing centre is to be set up in the north east of Leicester – the centre of the city's Covid-19 outbreak.

The testing centre will be in a ball court in Overton Road, just off Uppingham Road, in the New Humberstone area.

City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby explained yesterday how more testing and more information was needed to help fight the local Leicester outbreak, which has resulted in a new lockdown for the city.

The car park adjacent to the ball court will be closed until further notice.

Anyone who wants to book a test can either call 119 or book online at http://nhs.uk/ask-for-a-coronavirus-test.

The website can also be used to book a test at other sites around the city.

Shortly after the latest outbreak was announced, a temporary testing centre was set up in Spinney Hill Park, which helped provide testing for people without access to cars. The centre is still up and running.

Seem to remember various factory owners being interviewed on Tv saying how they had switched all their production to making masks and complaining that nobody from Govt. had contacted them to take up their offers. Thought to myself at the time that this was biased reporting to suit the journos agendas, as no doubt the Govt would/could not buy them as they would not be CE marked etc (and probably overpriced in an attempt to cash in). Its a shame they weren't wearing them instead of making them.

I can't believe i'm reading that some people on here are now slating the government for not saying fec the elderly & they should be running with a survival of the fittest course of action, euthaniser by Russian roulette.

I wonder how Boris would address the Nation with that bombshell, maybe go all Ivan Drago on us " The old, if they die they die....i must think of the deti"

Me thinks Mr Pier's would have a field day with that.

45 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

You’re right about problems within certain communities. I think the one you’re pointing a finger at in this instance is the Asian one. Questions need to be answered why a lot of people in this community have apparently been forced back to work in certain factories. Aswell as that, I’d expect a high number within the Asian community were all being clapped every Thursday for the jobs they were doing on the frontline be it in the NHS or the various food manufacturing sites we have across Leicester and the shire.

Maybe the problem for some of the most deprived areas of the city that have been affected most is a combination of population density and exposure to the virus due to working arrangements? That’s what my money would be on.

I am not pointing any finger and totally agree with your conclusions. To be honest you don't have to be Einstein's cousin to work it out, which leads to the obvious question why do our elected politician's local and national not speak and act accordingly. If you don't acknowledge a certain issue and get to the root of it, solving it won't happen. The question needs asking, how much did our council safety officials look at the conditions in such factories, they were all over construction sites coming out of lockdown. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Wow. I will pass on your chicken feed reasoning to my elderly relatives and tell them to buck their ideas up. I get everyone's worried, nobody knows how this is going to end, but we shouldn't damn others for our own benefit.

Any reason at all why we couldn't have safely kept those at risk in lockdown and everyone else kept working and kids is school?  No one said anything about damning anyone.

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Any reason at all why we couldn't have safely kept those at risk in lockdown and everyone else kept working and kids is school?  No one said anything about damning anyone.

Only the solitude aspect for many of the older people, which is to be fair a major concern. However, yes, breaking tomorrow to save today is also obviously flawed, just a question of if it is less so.

8 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I can't believe i'm reading that some people on here are now slating the government for not saying fec the elderly & they should be running with a survival of the fittest course of action, euthaniser by Russian roulette.

I wonder how Boris would address the Nation with that bombshell, maybe go all Ivan Drago on us " The old, if they die they die....i must think of the deti"

Me thinks Mr Pier's would have a field day with that.

No one is saying F the elderly, but many people are saying a targetted lockdown might have achieved the same instread of F the economy / F everyone approach.

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Only the solitude aspect for many of the older people, which is to be fair a major concern. However, yes, breaking tomorrow to save today is also obviously flawed, just a question of if it is less so.

Can you explan how everyone being in solitude is better than partial solitude?

These two extracts were from the same article in The Financial Times ..   in  2018  ...  the problem was never resolved and perhaps gives us even more understanding of what is happening today ...  wonder if Mr Soulsby is aware of this ???  ....

149BC1E5-C20C-47C2-895C-5C9CE4C6A247.jpeg

3B3F8B64-45AD-4685-BF5B-3B5F16933F99.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

Can you explan how everyone being in solitude is better than partial solitude?

:blink: How is being in isolation with others the same as isolation alone? Maybe I misunderstood the question?

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

:blink: How is being in isolation with others the same as isolation alone? Maybe I misunderstood the question?

My point is we seem to have protected a minority by restricting the majority, and you responsed that isolation was an issue, but it is an issue in either full or targetted lockdown so I dont see why we could't have done minimal lockdown of at risk people only.  I expect we will next time, and maybe the answer is no track and trace or sufficient PPE.

4 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

These two extracts were from the same article in The Financial Times ..   in  2018  ...  the problem was never resolved and perhaps gives us even more understanding of what is happening today ...  wonder if Mr Soulsby is aware of this ???  ....

149BC1E5-C20C-47C2-895C-5C9CE4C6A247.jpeg

3B3F8B64-45AD-4685-BF5B-3B5F16933F99.jpeg

It's crazy - another example of allowing immgrant communities to operate outside the law for fear of being called racist?

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

My point is we seem to have protected a minority by restricting the majority, and you responsed that isolation was an issue, but it is an issue in either full or targetted lockdown so I dont see why we could't have done minimal lockdown of at risk people only.  I expect we will next time, and maybe the answer is no track and trace or sufficient PPE.

Oh I see, yes would agree, suppose it makes a minimal difference, the only possible downside for the older folks is the lack of solidarity with the population at large, but this brings it back your point of saving the economy by getting the work force back to work versus saving every single person.

On another forum i am on, people are actually quite supportive and realise something isnt adding up.

Here is one such comment.  This was for a list someone posted which showed many worse areas.

Leicester is only 12th based on that list. How come they being picked on over parts of wales?

14 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

It's crazy - another example of allowing immgrant communities to operate outside the law for fear of being called racist?

Nah ...  Keithy baby used to look after them ...      for a price ! ...   :)

2 hours ago, bmt said:

I dont think its about making a difference but he said sending a message. 

I agree, if people are getting stopped from doing their jobs in leicester, football shouldn't be happening.

I think it could still happen, but I think its the wrong message if they train in the city and play at the KP.

1 hour ago, Monsall said:

According to the PHE surveillance report for the week ending 25th June the percentage of cases within the Asian community has increased from 11.5% of cases in week 22 to 25% in week 25 (787 cases to 980 cases). Also, helpful if PHE could actually publish accurate data as the table 2 in this week’s report has the Asian numbers assigned to the BACB group. Accuracy not being one of PHE strong points. All other ethnic groups show consistent fall in numbers.

Now that is some decent information. Does the report give any indication of what percentage of  each ethnicity has been tested using the track and trace method (I see it’s 28 pages and do not want to read it!).

The point I’m trying to make is, the City has been ravaged financially  and has now fallen into a subsequent lockdown which is again going to effect to an extent I don’t want to think about. What I want to understand is, how do we ensure that we: a) get out of this lockdown ASAP: b) ensure it doesn’t happen again. 

You mentioned before that you felt you would be accused of racism for stating the obvious issues within a community. I’m Asian, it would be daft if we ignored the risk elements with the community. Using facts and figures and saying, “Houston, we have problem” is not racism it’s an educated approach to a problem. The issue is, you get silly comments like “oh I know of 40 people meeting in a garden in a highfields terraces (really - does that even happen in normal times) but then do not report to the police etc. Further, asian covers a lot of people - I mean this extends to Belgrave and Humberstone where the term “asian” actually covers quite a few different types of people. There is quite clearly a problem.  To deal. We need to understand the cause for the spread and the disparity but we also need to understand if the testing is specific to a group or spread out between areas and communities otherwise, we’ll just get keep getting rises in numbers. 

Say for example, you and I work at a factory in the centre of Leicester. We both live at opposite ends of the city. I catch the virus, come to work and pass it on you. We both don’t show symptoms. However, I pass it on to my gran who is high risk and you pass it on to someone who is not so high risk. The high risk person suffers symptoms, gets tested while the two who have not shown symptoms, do nothing. The virus keeps spreading. This is why we need to understand how extensive the testing is. Because that’s the only way we can just about control this thing to allow lives to be saved and industry to continue without the job massacre that’s happening at this moment in time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

*sigh*

Based on the Financial Times article yesterday, the vast majority of positive cases in Leicester were via the test, track and trace method. Not hospital admissions. How do we know, not just in Leicester but around the country, that people in other places are following through and getting tested ? That is the first and foremost issue we need to iron out. If places such as Highfields have been targeted to be tested, it will give a high percentage of carriers. However, if places such as Blaby do not have as many participants, it creates an impression that residents of those areas have not been infected. For the good of city and more so the country, we need to understand the figures of how many people have been tested in each area to understand the risk to the city. Its a very different ball game with the Pillar 2 method then on simple hospital admissions and testing. That should be a genuine point that the local councils need to get to grips with. Otherwise, people, who are none the wiser get the belief that they are untouchable and not a carrier. 

Given the train wreck we have seen from the gov since march, I dont think they have done as you said.

I think they have just seen oh those numbers are high and made a quick on the flash decision.  Not looked into the fact, that testing got ramped up and only only ramped up but its only in the east side of the city, the numbers are skewed and it isnt apples to apples.

Not a popular opinion from me but this cannot go on for much longer. The government are going to have to move to the approach of everyone back to normal except for those that are shielding/high risk who will have to stay in lockdown until there is a vaccine/cure.

The continuation of lockdown and this new local lockdown approach will kill the UK. This isn’t about saying **** you to the old people or survival of the fittest but the country cannot continue like this, people say it sounds extreme and hysterical but it’s not, if there is mass redundancy (which authorities are becoming more and more worried about) and people start struggling to feed their families, it’s gonna get very messy. 

Edited by GingerrrFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Sorry if a repeat.

Another temporary coronavirus testing centre is to be set up in the north east of Leicester – the centre of the city's Covid-19 outbreak.

The testing centre will be in a ball court in Overton Road, just off Uppingham Road, in the New Humberstone area.

City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby explained yesterday how more testing and more information was needed to help fight the local Leicester outbreak, which has resulted in a new lockdown for the city.

The car park adjacent to the ball court will be closed until further notice.

Anyone who wants to book a test can either call 119 or book online at http://nhs.uk/ask-for-a-coronavirus-test.

The website can also be used to book a test at other sites around the city.

Shortly after the latest outbreak was announced, a temporary testing centre was set up in Spinney Hill Park, which helped provide testing for people without access to cars. The centre is still up and running.

My email to the mayor asking why no tests are been done in the west, remains unanswered.

--edit--

So given KP and belvoir ground approved.

No mobile centres in the west.

Police concentrated in the east.

This to me indicates they know the west is ok, but it got locked down anyway, even though most of the western residents are further away than scraptoft and syston.

Edited by Chrysalis