Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

Just now, stix said:

They say they try to get the results out within 48 hours. Although I think by about 4 o clock this afternoon Vicky park testing station had run out of tests for the day. So I suppose it depends somewhat on the numbers. Hopefully I’ll get the all clear on Friday so I can get back to work Monday. 

I had my antibody test as a front-line worker 2.5 weeks ago. Still had no result. We were supposed to be prioritised. S'all Ballox

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

I had my antibody test as a front-line worker 2.5 weeks ago. Still had no result. We were supposed to be prioritised. S'all Ballox

As a fellow front-line worker (working at the LRI), received mine a little short of a month after undergoing the test.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

What are you trying to say? Maybe they should broadcast in Hindi as well but there's no need to bother with Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Latvian etc, as they are not, shall I say, from an Indian sub-continent and are a less prevalent/obvious section of our multi-cultural city?

I think your post tells us all we need to know about you. :thumbdown:

I agree with you - every community in the City needs information at this difficult time so why just do this bulletin?

2 hours ago, fox in the sox said:

Government have told Radio Leicester to do one bulletin each day in Gujarati. Tells you all you need to know.

Does it? Going by your 1960's view of society the Scottish goverment always have a sign person stood behind doing sign language throughout every briefing.

Does that tell us that all the people north of the border are death?

But back to the point I've worked in a few Asains houses and the older generation are less able to speak English with not having been born here so to have a bulletin in a language they understand is a good idea.

I've nothing against that. 

• Like 2

I work on test trace and protect here in south Wales. We haven't got everything right yet but we are getting all the data in from tests and really going after the contacts to shut down transmission.

I hope you all and every one stays safe in Leicester and the situation works out well. Was up for the Birmingham City FA Cup game and went round the streets by Spinney Hill Park where I used to live. Can really sympathise with all. Stay strong Leicester!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fox in the sox said:

Government have told Radio Leicester to do one bulletin each day in Gujarati. Tells you all you need to know.

Why do you make it sound like a bad thing?

If it has only been the Gujaratis (or Asians in general) that have caused the spike in the cases (it hasn't) then at least they have no excuse for not understanding it given there'll be translations now.

I think your post in itself tells you all you need to know about your thinking, ironically. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Why do you make it sound like a bad thing?

If it has only been the Gujaratis (or Asians in general) that have caused the spike in the cases (it hasn't) then at least they have no excuse for not understanding it given there'll be translations now.

I think your post in itself tells you all you need to know about your thinking, ironically. 

He wasn't saying that it was bad, imo. 

The point being that Leicester is not the plague city it's being portrayed as. Certain very defined postcodes and ethnicity are struggling. Messages is Gujarati, Hindi or Urdu would be an excellent idea. 

But also begs the question why the hell saffron lane and Eyres Monsell are sealed off. It's not racist to question that. It's legitimate and fair 

19 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

He wasn't saying that it was bad, imo. 

The point being that Leicester is not the plague city it's being portrayed as. Certain very defined postcodes and ethnicity are struggling. Messages is Gujarati, Hindi or Urdu would be an excellent idea. 

But also begs the question why the hell saffron lane and Eyres Monsell are sealed off. It's not racist to question that. It's legitimate and fair 

I didn't say it was racist to question it :)

The 'tells you all you need to know' comment by him was very flippant and insensitive.

Bedtime reading, a 25 page document regarding the situation in Leicester https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/897128/COVID-19_activity_Leicester_Final-report_010720_v3.pdf

So when Leicester residents thought the cases were 1028, with about 4-5 confirmed cases a day, they were actually 3216 with about 80 cases a day.

Ridiculous of the government not to release Pillar 2 information to the public, when Cities probably don’t think they are doing too bad, they are probably in a situation twice as worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Manini said:

Hearing murmurs that Bradford is close to a 2nd lockdown also. There’s areas of Bradford that are basically Leeds on the East side of the city and in the north of the area so if you think the Leicester boarder was confusing this could be very interesting. 

source: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/18553180.amp/

I imagine the national picture is quite a story with every city pillar 2 data added, but of course hardly any cities have as widespread testing as leicester.

I think the language excuse is a bit lame, I don't think it would be told difficult to get the message of what I needed to do from community leaders, religious places or from family members who do speak the language.

If I lived in Spain but didn't speak Spanish, I'd be doing all I can to find out the relevant information. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, kingfox said:

Bedtime reading, a 25 page document regarding the situation in Leicester https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/897128/COVID-19_activity_Leicester_Final-report_010720_v3.pdf

So when Leicester residents thought the cases were 1028, with about 4-5 confirmed cases a day, they were actually 3216 with about 80 cases a day.

Ridiculous of the government not to release Pillar 2 information to the public, when Cities probably don’t think they are doing too bad, they are probably in a situation twice as worse.

You can’t have people making decisions for themselves can you, that’s the job of the important people

14 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

The problem with this whole 'just protect the vulnerable' is that initially many many people were considered vulnerable. Mild asthma is a big one that sticks in my mind, they were all classed as extremely vulnerable at the beginning, but we've since learned that different groups of people are actually more vulnerable. 

The whole situation has changed dramatically throughout the whole period, and it must be so difficult for those people who are making the decisions. 

Whatever happens people are going to be unhappy, but ultimately we are in this situation because people thought they knew better, that the rules didn't apply to them, and so they just didn't follow the rules that have always been set with the best of intentions for our society as a whole. 

Sad fact is millions are vulnerable, existing health in this country is terrible but there was more than enough data available by the end of April for people vulnerable to assess their own risk and for the government to start a phased re-opening starting with schools. The government were right at the start there is a shelf life for such restrictions and the slow re-opening has led to chaos in some areas. The original rules were mainly control fear promoters anyway than any way effective, going outside is better than staying in protection wise, air conditioned supermarket's are not a safe place, standing 2 metres behind someone who emits virus then 10 seconds later move into that space and the fantasy that cloth masks offer any protection from teeny micro virus. 

I take the view I would rather follow my own judgement than let the government rule my life. Best advice keep yourself fit, get outside and keep working. In construction industry yes we broke the rules en masse and forced the first phase of ending lockdown, as the engineering sector got back as well, so breaking the rules can do good. As did those who left cities for walks in the countryside, yes within 2 weeks of lockdown the courts allowed that after it was challenged, so nobody can be pinned in Leicester against their will in this new phase.

Sorry if this has been linked but I've not been able to read this thread for a while.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/report-put-leicester-local-lockdown-4283949

The report that put Leicester into local lockdown

Has some graphs on age, ethnicity and locations.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, davieG said:

Sorry if this has been linked but I've not been able to read this thread for a while.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/report-put-leicester-local-lockdown-4283949

The report that put Leicester into local lockdown

Has some graphs on age, ethnicity and locations.

As expected Highfields the epicentre and nothing round here. Politicians have taken the easy option as ever but the wrong one.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Monsall said:

As expected Highfields the epicentre and nothing round here. Politicians have taken the easy option as ever but the wrong one.

According to the list and map, Highfields is not the epicentre. The epicentre is North Evington (adjoining Highfields) and Belgrave, Stoneygate & Spinney Hills, to a lesser extent.

20 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

My point is we seem to have protected a minority by restricting the majority, and you responsed that isolation was an issue, but it is an issue in either full or targetted lockdown so I dont see why we could't have done minimal lockdown of at risk people only.  I expect we will next time, and maybe the answer is no track and trace or sufficient PPE.

One reason is they can't identify all at risk people and whilst the majority of deaths are elderly or have underlying health conditions there are still many deaths and critical patients who don't fall into those categories. Particularly in the asian community. As well as many fit and healthy people who have been taken out for weeks with strong symptoms. It is a nasty horrible fatal disease and doesn't only affect "vulnerable". It's not just about saving lives in the short term, even if you could successfully isolate everyone who could be killed by it (which we haven't been able to so far), if you let it spread in a place like Leicester to get the economy going it is going to take even longer for the country to be free of the disease.

3 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

I think the language excuse is a bit lame, I don't think it would be told difficult to get the message of what I needed to do from community leaders, religious places or from family members who do speak the language.

If I lived in Spain but didn't speak Spanish, I'd be doing all I can to find out the relevant information. 

I'm English, my first language is English and I have no idea what the rules actually are any more. If anybody who doesn't speak English as a first language understands Boris' incoherent waffle then they deserve medal.

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I'm English, my first language is English and I have no idea what the rules actually are any more. If anybody who doesn't speak English as a first language understands Boris' incoherent waffle then they deserve medal.

Admittedly, there are intricacies within the rules and guidelines which can be difficult to understand or open to interpretation but the general themes of abiding social distancing, frequent hand washing or sanitizing, reducing numbers in shops etc at one time, avoiding gatherings with other people particularly indoors, using common sense where possible, face masks within crowded spaces etc are all pretty simple to understand, even if English isn't your first language. Of course, there is probably more to it than that, which has caused these spikes, particularly within factories where it isn't easy to follow the guidelines but I think using the language barrier as an excuse is just playing ignorant.

• Like 1

In my role I have visited many Asian households. The TV is usually on Asian satellite channels and we also have several local Asian radio stations.

Council information is - and has been for many years - available in several languages. The local community centres and libraries have, for many years had multilingual information leaflets.

There is no excuse whatsoever and to attempt to blame lack of information that the locals understand.

A significant number have simply chosen to Ignore it.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Haha 1