Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

32 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Might be able too, but isn't that a really low amount? Like £400 a month? Don't get me wrong it's better than nothing but doesn't go very far when you're running your own business with expenses and then your personal life expenses too. They haven't claimed UC either way.

Yeah they probably should have had a bit more money saved tbh, but some have sunk a lot into their businesses/equipment etc.

A shitty situation all round though, there's always gonna be winners and losers in every scenario the Government carry out, just as me and Alf were discussing above.

28 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

Certainly can't if they have savings of over £16k. Also UC rarely covers rent: although the Local Housing Allowance (on which UC housing costs based)  rates were increased from 1st April, they were set so that 70%of rents were above this rate 

Maybe I've misunderstood, but I thought that universal credit included housing benefit these days, so a percentage of rent would be paid for, plus landlords are not allowed to evict at present? Universal credit is not a set amount, it depends on your family size, council tax, rent etc. 

Are you saying that these people are still working? If so why do they need to claim anything? I thought that grants of around £25k were also available to the self employed? 

While I accept it's not ideal, nobody is going to be made homeless like was previously mentioned are they? 

And if I had £16k in savings I'd be very happy! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Maybe I've misunderstood, but I thought that universal credit included housing benefit these days, so a percentage of rent would be paid for, plus landlords are not allowed to evict at present? Universal credit is not a set amount, it depends on your family size, council tax, rent etc. 

Are you saying that these people are still working? If so why do they need to claim anything? I thought that grants of around £25k were also available to the self employed? 

While I accept it's not ideal, nobody is going to be made homeless like was previously mentioned are they? 

And if I had £16k in savings I'd be very happy! 

I'm not sure about the benefits, I've always thought it was a set amount, I've never claimed anything in my life (fortunately).

Some of them have carried on working because the bills have to be paid, if they didn't carry on working then they'd have to claim (if they were able to), but it'd be a lot less than they would normally earn. I think the grants only apply if you've been trading for two years.

At the minute landlords can't evict you, but I'm sure this will change in the coming months, likewise with the banks when they want their mortgage payment (after the mortgage break). There's no guarantee that the money will come rolling back in, because some businesses are going under and some contracts are not being renewed etc.

There's a few of here who have said they've lost contracts and been out of work since the original lockdown, they're probably better equipped to answer than I am, I've only heard it second hand from my friends who are self employed or run their own business.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

If the numbers in the other countries aren't going back up, then we should be ok here too?

If I was at risk, I'd happily shield. You're going to be putting yourself at risk everytime you leave the house, regardless of a local lockdown, because the virus isn't going to go away. Younger people have more chance of dying in a car accident than from this diesease.

While we keep doing this lockdown, businesses are going down the pan, some self employed lads are losing thousands every month.

In my opinion the economic risks we are taking far outweigh the health risks we're currently taking. Come the end of October, when job losses are becoming more frequent and employees who get Furloughed will be getting less than 80%, I'd imagine public opinion will definitely have changed.

It's a good sign that numbers aren't going up in other European countries that have unlocked - though our infection rate at unlocking is a bit higher than theirs and at least some of them have better-developed track-and-trace systems than we have.

I suppose a lot of it will be trial and error - and hoping that too many people don't behave irresponsibly & that there isn't too much of an upsurge in the autumn/winter. If we can keep the rate low & flare-ups short and localised, maybe we'll be OK?

I agree that the virus won't go away and a risk will remain. For me, it's a case of keeping that risk as low as possible so that almost everyone can resume something approaching a normal life with only a low risk. As a personal example, in a few weeks I've booked to spend a week walking the North Devon coast and visiting my mate down there (which will be the first time I've met any friends/family apart from my 16-year-old daughter for 4 months). As things stand, that will involve a slight risk that I'm prepared to take. But if the infection rate mushrooms because people see no problem in lots of young people getting infected, then it would be a big risk and I'd have to cancel....and go mad stuck at home avoiding social contact again. Younger people might have more chance of dying in a car accident (I've no idea of the stats) but they'd have a much higher chance of causing the death of older/vulnerable people if they're infected in large numbers.

I agree there's a delicate balance needed between the health and economic interests of everyone - and there's going to be an economic crash in the coming months regardless. It's important not to make that even more disastrous than it's already going to be. If the ending of government support for furloughed workers & the self-employed coincides with an upsurge in the virus due to people being blase, that would be a nightmare. Imagine if another national lockdown is needed then or if hospitals are filling up, workers are scared to go to work and people are staying at home and not spending, just as govt money is withdrawn.....that could turn a bad situation into a catastrophe, economically.

55 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Not if they're in their first (or second maybe?) year of trading. Got 3 or 4 mates like this, haven't had a penny since this started and have had to live off what they've got saved. Some have had to take up other jobs in supermarkets etc. While others have carried on working illegally because otherwise they'd be homeless soon enough.

Obviously it's only a small amount of people in this situation, but there's always another side of the coin.

Yep, as I understand it, the key thing if you're self-employed is whether you've submitted a tax return for 2018-19.

If you've gone self-employed since then (as my brother had, like your mates), you're knackered - apart from Universal Credit, other work, savings or whatever. As you say, depending on their work, some self-employed will also have high overheads (though some won't). The govt payment was 80% for the first 3 months, 70% for Aug-Oct, I think.

Of course, there'll be others who've been self-employed longer than 1-2 years but will miss out because they haven't submitted tax returns, but that's their own fault.

A few people who never expected to have to claim Universal Credit might change their minds about how generous the benefits system is, after years of tabloid stories of claimants living the life of Riley on benefits. It's disgraceful if people can't get reasonable housing costs covered if they end up unemployed through no fault of their own - like through Covid destroying their jobs/businesses.

3 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Well, according to govt guidance on schools, come September social distancing in them will be virtually non existent.  What then for local spikes/lockdowns?

3 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Very odd stance isn't it? 

Social distance in public, ppe worn on transport and in public, neither to be used in school. 

Any good done by using them in public is undone in the school system. 

I'm also somewhat confused by the new 'outbreak' terms. If it's 2+ people, the whole year will be asked to self-isolate. If there's an 'outbreak', the whole school is shut. Surely it'll just be stop and start for a lot of students and by the time an outbreak is declared, would several students not have taken it home with them and potentially given it to their families anyway? What constitutes an outbreak anyway, as in how many students to be confirmed positive for it?

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I'm also somewhat confused by the new 'outbreak' terms. If it's 2+ people, the whole year will be asked to self-isolate. If there's an 'outbreak', the whole school is shut. Surely it'll just be stop and start for a lot of students and by the time an outbreak is declared, would several students not have taken it home with them and potentially given it to their families anyway? What constitutes an outbreak anyway, as in how many students to be confirmed positive for it?

A lot could be solved by allowing ppe within schools but for some reason the government seems really against that. 

I have my suspicions it's owing to the fact that there isn't very much ppe available and it's easier to paint a picture of a poor education system.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

A lot could be solved by allowing ppe within schools but for some reason the government seems really against that. 

I have my suspicions it's owing to the fact that there isn't very much ppe available and it's easier to paint a picture of a poor education system.

Plenty available now ..... govt have sent emails out telling all those that offered that help no longer required and prices in China have fallen generally through the floor on masks (gloves not so much) ....there are some rumours in China that govt may restrict exports to increase domestic stocks in case a second wave arrives .....

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Plenty available now ..... govt have sent emails out telling all those that offered that help no longer required and prices in China have fallen generally through the floor on masks (gloves not so much) ....there are some rumours in China that govt may restrict exports to increase domestic stocks in case a second wave arrives .....

**** knows then. Herd immunity? 

• Like 1

The more I read about this story the more my finger of blame points towards the city council and Sir Peter. I appreciate Sir Peter was waiting on data but when you’re in discussions with the Govt and you’re being told your city is at risk why weren’t preventative measures being put in place long before the data became available. 

It just seems like our city council has yet again dropped a bollock in comparisons to other councils. It’s disappointing that we do not have the 4th July to look forward to due to information on not being available but more importantly, action being taken to try to control the spread of this horrible virus. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

The more I read about this story the more my finger of blame points towards the city council and Sir Peter. I appreciate Sir Peter was waiting on data but when you’re in discussions with the Govt and you’re being told your city is at risk why weren’t preventative measures being put in place long before the data became available. 

It just seems like our city council has yet again dropped a bollock in comparisons to other councils. It’s disappointing that we do not have the 4th July to look forward to due to information on not being available but more importantly, action being taken to try to control the spread of this horrible virus. 

What do you have in mind?

7 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Simple things. I see Bradford are sending out youth workers, people respected within communities to educate those congregating on streets to stop large groups gathering. 

Things like that; 1) increasing police present. 2)getting community leaders out there talking to groups; 3) perhaps getting More people knocking on doors to pass on message that Leicester is at risk or are being told they’re at risk; 4) Radio bulletins from council leaders on the govt feedback that cases are rising; 5) media appearances on East Midlands today etc. 

Little things like this normally go a long way further then a broadcast from central govt in local communities. It could’ve potentially made a difference. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Well it seems only now that the Environmental Health Department at the City Council are investigating companies that are and probably have been breaking the guidelines, they should have been doing this from the off. It has been strongly suggested that these may be a major contribution to the spike.

Does anyone know if Freemans Common recycling centre is staying open or not through this lockdown?

I've got about 20 bags of garden waste I need to chuck but don't want to load the car up and drive over, only for it to be closed and have to come home and unload the whole lot!

9 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Does anyone know if Freemans Common recycling centre is staying open or not through this lockdown?

I've got about 20 bags of garden waste I need to chuck but don't want to load the car up and drive over, only for it to be closed and have to come home and unload the whole lot!

https://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-environment/recycling-and-waste/recycling-centres/

14 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

We went there on Wednesday, business as usual it seems, though be prepared to queue.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

I forgot to add: we were asked our postcode.

Just now, Free Falling Foxes said:

I forgot to add: we were asked our postcode.

Ah nice one, I'm in LE3 but that's usually the one I go to as it's closest so I assume it will be ok. I wonder what that's for, stop people from outside the city coming in maybe?

7 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Ah nice one, I'm in LE3 but that's usually the one I go to as it's closest so I assume it will be ok. I wonder what that's for, stop people from outside the city coming in maybe?

Possibly.

We too are LE3, though just inside the county but within the lockdown zone.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Equally though the government were willing to downplaying it to let nine to ten days run. They literally cancelled a meeting first thing on the Monday morning. 

You try telling your local business to shut up or people to stop working on the basis of a government hunch with no data. Said before Hancock on 18th June mentioned there was an outbreak in Leicester - at that point then the government should have communicated to Leicester forgot 4th July, at least push it to 18th. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This might have been touched upon within the chat on this thread, but I'm finding an ever bigger sense of "them v us" at the moment.

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm just, just in the lockdown zone, but I've seen a few things from people about "oh don't let the people from the city in" and it doesn't sit well with me.

The pubs are opening tomorrow and lots are putting in ID/Address systems in place. Don't get me wrong, I totally get why they're doing it, and maybe it's just the way it's phrased. I saw one pub would be doing this for anyone "they didn't recognise" further showing the alienation of different people, just makes me uneasy.

We're supposed to be a cohesive society and community and yet we've been split along this boundary that, especially around the borders, gives off this "them v us" vibe that I don't really like, but I know is unavoidable and for the best.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Equally though the government were willing to downplaying it to let nine to ten days run. They literally cancelled a meeting first thing on the Monday morning. 

You try telling your local business to shut up or people to stop working on the basis of a government hunch with no data. Said before Hancock on 18th June mentioned there was an outbreak in Leicester - at that point then the government should have communicated to Leicester forgot 4th July, at least push it to 18th. 

No, I agree, not trying to dissolve any sort of blame of central governments shit show. However, from a local level, I do think there needed to be more effort to make us aware that we are getting attention from London. Simple things, not necessarily asking anyone to shut up shop but more so, work in the city/community to get the message across. It’s hindsight and I appreciate that but those things seem minor but can have a very big impact long before the lockdown occurs. 

This second lockdown is going to have a very big impact on Leicester. Not just mentally but economically and on community relations. This is where the council have to take a more pro-active approach to avoid the conversation coming up let alone the implementation.

• Like 1

Just now, Mickyblueeyes said:

No, I agree, not trying to dissolve any sort of blame of central governments shit show. However, from a local level, I do think there needed to be more effort to make us aware that we are getting attention from London. Simple things, not necessarily asking anyone to shut up shop but more so, work in the city/community to get the message across. It’s hindsight and I appreciate that but those things seem minor but can have a very big impact long before the lockdown occurs. 

This second lockdown is going to have a very big impact on Leicester. Not just mentally but economically and on community relations. This is where the council have to take a more pro-active approach to avoid the conversation coming up let alone the implementation.

Fair slight misunderstanding - take your point that the council has failed to take the lead on communications in communities. As opposed to letting the government control, take some ownership in doing that rather than blame. Fair criticism. 

I do think Soulsby can take stick for simply not being proactive in the immediate of Monday. His interviews were a touch too overcritical - fair too much of us versus them vibe. He should have better language which eventually he did come the evening. 

14 hours ago, foxile5 said:

The reason I heard was because PPE could scare the younger kids...

National PPE guidance within schools was actually lessened even further the other week, saying PPE isn't needed when dealing with close contact first aid issues (it was a guideline when children first came back).

10 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

This might have been touched upon within the chat on this thread, but I'm finding an ever bigger sense of "them v us" at the moment.

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm just, just in the lockdown zone, but I've seen a few things from people about "oh don't let the people from the city in" and it doesn't sit well with me.

The pubs are opening tomorrow and lots are putting in ID/Address systems in place. Don't get me wrong, I totally get why they're doing it, and maybe it's just the way it's phrased. I saw one pub would be doing this for anyone "they didn't recognise" further showing the alienation of different people, just makes me uneasy.

We're supposed to be a cohesive society and community and yet we've been split along this boundary that, especially around the borders, gives off this "them v us" vibe that I don't really like, but I know is unavoidable and for the best.

I was getting that exact same feeling.  We live on the edge of the farcical lockdown boundary and most of the time we go out it’s to a pub outside of the lockdown. As it is I had no intention of going out for a couple of weeks until the situation had been relaxed a little more in the pubs but I have mates who are in the exact same position as me living on the borders. One or two of them are planning to go out. However, they’ve already been told they are not welcome by a pub they are basically regulars in. Going forward if this ban extends beyond the 18th I can see some falling outs happening with them fortunately just outside the lockdown and them just inside.