Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

Video doing the rounds of huge cricket game on Spinney hill today, trophy’s on the table ready, people watching. I don’t believe it’s real and it’s just people trying to stir up trouble! I went Asda for nappies earlier and was suprised the roads were so busy still, hopefully goes quiet again like it was 6 weeks ago soon! 

Spoke to one of our fabric suppliers today to ask if they are still coming to Leicester and asked them to let me know so I could see if we could get an order in if needed. He said they had no problem getting into Leicester and everything looked normal people about everywhere. Hopefully kicks into place tomorrow if people are going to take it serious. Another supplier had heard from someone that from Thursday the police are going to start knocking on doors to make sure that people are staying home. Don’t know how true that is if it would even work.

4 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Video doing the rounds of huge cricket game on Spinney hill today, trophy’s on the table ready, people watching. I don’t believe it’s real and it’s just people trying to stir up trouble! I went Asda for nappies earlier and was suprised the roads were so busy still, hopefully goes quiet again like it was 6 weeks ago soon! 

Hope you found some that fit :thumbup:

31 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Either way the government are inept and I agree a localised lockdown is too late.

If it's true that hospital admissions are up, then just be honest and tell us the situation as is. Why is it so hard to get a straight answer out if Westminster when it's possible in both Wales and Scotland. 

If it's not true, then I can't see any reason for the lockdown other than, let's test it out and see how we go. 

But through it all you just get this feeling that the government don't give a shit what happens. It's like they are on autopilot.

All about the conomy. Next thing will be that smoking and drinking petrol helps keep the virus at bay, especially seeing as the government makes nearly 7 quid a pack and 70p a litre. All these public services etc are paid for by what people want to get rid of.

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Why’s it take a Financial Times article to eventually get the larger picture of it all. 

Soulsby was getting criticised for his attitude yesterday morning but he was only subjected to the same data as the general public 

Soulsby publicly slamming the govt for not sharing data with the council .......he’s right ! 

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

All about the conomy. Next thing will be that smoking and drinking petrol helps keep the virus at bay, especially seeing as the government makes nearly 7 quid a pack and 70p a litre. All these public services etc are paid for by what people want to get rid of.

But again, we all understand it's a tightrope with numerous things to juggle. None of us want to wind up poorer. 

But a clear, coherent reasoning behind any strategy makes it easier to understand. You may not always agree, but you can at least see where they are coming from. 

Boris and his clowns have really shown their lack of leadership credentials when it comes to running the country. They are a complete joke and history will not be kind to them when we look back at coronavirus pandemic in years to come.

1 hour ago, Lesta2014 said:

Yeah I’ve been sent that video. It’s too big to put on here. There are people wearing masks on it though. So whether it was today or not, it was most likely during lockdown, which means it was still against the rules. 

10 hours ago, BKLFox said:

The knowledge that this was happening is not dissimilar between Leicester & Victoria, 11 days apparently for Leicester & the Victoria CHO said recommending lockdowns came after the "significant increase" in cases over the past couple of weeks, so lets say 14 days. See this wasn't an explosion of cases over the past 24-48hrs in Vic & they have acted immediately despite what Piers the knowledge of all Morgan might blather about.

How do you Police - extra units will patrol the area in Victoria  - it will be the same in Leicester

Now here's something the Premier of Victoria said "This only works if people comply, this only works if people use common sense and I am confident those communities will do that,"

Now doesn't that sound familiar yet a mountain is being made about Leicester in the UK, yet something very similar is being played out in much the same way somewhere else in the World but its classed as being on the ball.

The snippets of information are being driven by the media & the likes of Matt Hancock are having to react to the media questioning which isn't ideal & comes across as the Government drip feeding detail

The heads up has been given, people now know its coming, from Thursday for schools they now have 2 days to sort care etc, the detail is being finalised, postcodes etc to be published shortly, things take time there has to be an amendment to law for example, why can't people wait for the detail before making knee jerk reactions to every little announcement.

Better tell the police commissioner off too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-53236467

Or maybe we weren't making knee jerk reactions, maybe we had been told last night we were entering a local lock down with out anywhere near enough information on what that would involve.

Edited by The whole world smiles

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Sorry but surely you’ve had dodgy info - absolutely no chance they would expect longer than two/three weeks at this stage. 

The legal documents suggest that could be the maximum based on but then that is maximum. I've probably not worded it responsibly. 

16 minutes ago, Lionator said:

It's going to be longer than that I'm afraid to say. Looking at 6-8 weeks based on the advice we've had.

There is a chance this might happen but far from certain.

What is certain is we have dithering incompetent government run by a clown who now thinks he is FDR.

Lockdown too late

Plenty of time to have worked out a strategy for local lockdowns but it is clear they have not got a clue how to organise it. No liaison between local and central government.

An utter shambles all round.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spudulike said:

The BBC is suggesting that some communities are not following the rules due to translation difficulties. Does Leicester really have that many unable to speak English? 

This was warned about in an article in The Guardian in late March, with a specific focus on the West Midlands, but it also alluded to it being an issue across the country.

If non-English speakers still aren't getting the information they need and it's actually played a significant part in this, then, well, it's been eminently preventable and the authorities - both the Conservative government and the Labour council - are accountable.

It's unforgivable to be letting your citizens down in this way. It's maddening. There are plenty of bilingual people who could've done the job.

6 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

No one is going to listen.  Everyone I have spoken to in Leicester are sticking 2 fingers to the lockdown

The thing is if someone has this attitude I always question them, as that attitude potentially has a direct influence on my life, through being on lockdown or one of my family actually getting the virus. If everyone just listened and kept to the advice we wouldn't necessarily be in this mess. I don't really buy the non English speakers not getting information either. There's such a small minority that cannot read or understand English, and of those that can't even a lower percentage who don't have someone who can translate or explain. The problem is the attitude of "oh what difference if little old me doesn't abide by the rules" and also the "screw the government, they can't control me" morons. 

• Like 1