Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

1 hour ago, stix said:

Well there’s certainly not a big selection of opportunities about, and it will only get worse come October/November time imo. 

We’ve been on a 4 day week for 2 months already, so that’s obviously dropped my money in to category that may have a few more possibilities in. 

The other issue will more than likely be that, say a job that pays £35k now, come October time, will be down to around £27-28k because employers will have the pick of the huge bunch that will be applying. 

Exactly, even if I keep my job, I've had to take a 20% cut (mitigated slightly by saving 250 a month on not commuting) 

But, there gonna be millions jobless....and of course can't even go to Spain, Poland etc to seek work anymore!

19 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Not a popular opinion from me but this cannot go on for much longer. The government are going to have to move to the approach of everyone back to normal except for those that are shielding/high risk who will have to stay in lockdown until there is a vaccine/cure.

The continuation of lockdown and this new local lockdown approach will kill the UK. This isn’t about saying **** you to the old people or survival of the fittest but the country cannot continue like this, people say it sounds extreme and hysterical but it’s not, if there is mass redundancy (which authorities are becoming more and more worried about) and people start struggling to feed their families, it’s gonna get very messy. 

@Jon the Hat Guys, i know my comment was blunter (is that a word) than intended & i fully get where your coming from as i advocate getting the economy rolling again also.

I wanted to highlight the turn around in approach/thinking/mentality because now the general talk is protect the vulnerable & everyone else crack on, now when that was mooted right at the beginning ala herd mentality the Government were loudly slammed.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

My email to the mayor asking why no tests are been done in the west, remains unanswered.

--edit--

So given KP and belvoir ground approved.

No mobile centres in the west.

Police concentrated in the east.

This to me indicates they know the west is ok, but it got locked down anyway, even though most of the western residents are further away than scraptoft and syston.

Don't expect an answer anytime soon and when it comes it will be a non answer. What our local politicians are allowing to be done to our city is a disgrace, with no real blowback. I doubt Hancock knows a thing about Leicester but he loves his fear induced power.

'Police will carry out spot checks on vehicles leaving the Leicester area to ensure that residents are complying with Britain’s first local lockdown'

Course they willlol They haven't even got the resources to properly police crime.

'Sir I'm starting to feel ill so I'm just taking my kids to a family member in Nottingham'

Hearing murmurs that Bradford is close to a 2nd lockdown also. There’s areas of Bradford that are basically Leeds on the East side of the city and in the north of the area so if you think the Leicester boarder was confusing this could be very interesting. 

source: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/18553180.amp/

Edited by Manini

1 hour ago, Monsall said:

Don't expect an answer anytime soon and when it comes it will be a non answer. What our local politicians are allowing to be done to our city is a disgrace, with no real blowback. I doubt Hancock knows a thing about Leicester but he loves his fear induced power.

Yeah I know there wont be an answer :(

56 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

My Ops Manager actually appreciated the issues I could have getting into Birmingham with trains during this Leicester lockdown, complete opposite of my line manager who assumed it was a minor inconvenience I was exaggerating. 

Is the train station running normally, or they added restrictions?

Also curious about buses that go into the county areas.

Just now, Chrysalis said:

Is the train station running normally, or they added restrictions?

Also curious about buses that go into the county areas.

No idea, I'm a few stops down from the city and trainline keeps flashing a warning that trains could be modified next week from saturday on. 

9 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

'Police will carry out spot checks on vehicles leaving the Leicester area to ensure that residents are complying with Britain’s first local lockdown'

Course they willlol They haven't even got the resources to properly police crime.

'Sir I'm starting to feel ill so I'm just taking my kids to a family member in Nottingham'

When you look at the boundary they've created, there's not actually that many routes in and out. I would have thought they could police it with about 15 checkpoints.

4 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

When you look at the boundary they've created, there's not actually that many routes in and out. I would have thought they could police it with about 15 checkpoints.

Could easily randomly stop cars, but they won't be stopping every car. Even if they do, can easily give them a bullshit excuse about where you're going.

2 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

Not a popular opinion from me but this cannot go on for much longer. The government are going to have to move to the approach of everyone back to normal except for those that are shielding/high risk who will have to stay in lockdown until there is a vaccine/cure.

The continuation of lockdown and this new local lockdown approach will kill the UK. This isn’t about saying **** you to the old people or survival of the fittest but the country cannot continue like this, people say it sounds extreme and hysterical but it’s not, if there is mass redundancy (which authorities are becoming more and more worried about) and people start struggling to feed their families, it’s gonna get very messy. 

It will be by the end of July imo.  We simply cannot afford it.

Seven coronavirus patients - including one in their 20s - have died at Leicester’s hospitals, it’s been announced today. The deaths have all been confirmed in the last seven days.

University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust (UHL) has announced the fatalities today - bringing the total number of people that have died at either the Leicester Royal Infirmary , Leicester General Hospital and Glenfield Hospital after testing positive for Covid-19 to 399.

A spokesperson for the trust said: "Sadly, we can confirm that 399 patients being cared for at our hospitals, and who had tested positive for Covid-19, have died.

"Seven of those deaths have been announced since last Wednesday (June 24). The ages of the patients range between those in their 20s to those in their 80s.

"Our thoughts and condolences are with the family and friends of the patients at this very difficult and distressing time."

The trust announced its first coronavirus related death in mid-March. Patients that have died at the city’s hospitals since the start of the pandemic have been aged between their 20s and 90s.

Some 21 patients have died after testing positive for Covid-19 at community hospitals run by Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust.

Bosses from the area’s clinical commissioning groups and UHL and LPT said earlier this week that patient numbers in the city and county’s hospitals are stable despite the local spike in confirmed cases.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/coronavirus-deaths-leicesters-hospitals-near-4282526

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Wow. I will pass on your chicken feed reasoning to my elderly relatives and tell them to buck their ideas up. I get everyone's worried, nobody knows how this is going to end, but we shouldn't damn others for our own benefit.

If you read my post the chicken feed remark was about jobs, businesses collapsing  far greater than at present, but yes the old and frail should've been shielded and protected but to completely destroy the economy and peoples lives to do so is not the right way.

When the furlough ends more redundancies will happen, you only hear the news of big national or global companies but small independents and self employed (myself included) are hit and sometimes even more. 

The government are damned if they do and damned if they don't but I don't see this ending well for them, especially with this local lockdown, all those Indy shops getting ready to reopen, buying stock, sorting staff, now being told 'no you do as we say and stay closed', like me through no fault of ourselfs we cannot carry on with our business.  

That's ok is it just to keep Jack and Doris cosy?

1 minute ago, promised land said:

If you read my post the chicken feed remark was about jobs, businesses collapsing  far greater than at present, but yes the old and frail should've been shielded and protected but to completely destroy the economy and peoples lives to do so is not the right way.

When the furlough ends more redundancies will happen, you only hear the news of big national or global companies but small independents and self employed (myself included) are hit and sometimes even more. 

The government are damned if they do and damned if they don't but I don't see this ending well for them, especially with this local lockdown, all those Indy shops getting ready to reopen, buying stock, sorting staff, now being told 'no you do as we say and stay closed', like me through no fault of ourselfs we cannot carry on with our business.  

That's ok is it just to keep Jack and Doris cosy?

Apologies for my snappy response, just worried about my old folks (they got a bit of abuse whilst shopping :( ) but I do hear what you  are saying, it’s crap for everyone and may be longer term crap for some whom are not older. Hope the `Tories can live up to some perceived belief in them as far the economy goes and get stuff going rapidly.

The problem with this whole 'just protect the vulnerable' is that initially many many people were considered vulnerable. Mild asthma is a big one that sticks in my mind, they were all classed as extremely vulnerable at the beginning, but we've since learned that different groups of people are actually more vulnerable. 

The whole situation has changed dramatically throughout the whole period, and it must be so difficult for those people who are making the decisions. 

Whatever happens people are going to be unhappy, but ultimately we are in this situation because people thought they knew better, that the rules didn't apply to them, and so they just didn't follow the rules that have always been set with the best of intentions for our society as a whole. 

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

The problem with this whole 'just protect the vulnerable' is that initially many many people were considered vulnerable. Mild asthma is a big one that sticks in my mind, they were all classed as extremely vulnerable at the beginning, but we've since learned that different groups of people are actually more vulnerable. 

The whole situation has changed dramatically throughout the whole period, and it must be so difficult for those people who are making the decisions. 

Whatever happens people are going to be unhappy, but ultimately we are in this situation because people thought they knew better, that the rules didn't apply to them, and so they just didn't follow the rules that have always been set with the best of intentions for our society as a whole. 

Debs there’s a game on ! ...   

23 minutes ago, fox in the sox said:

Government have told Radio Leicester to do one bulletin each day in Gujarati. Tells you all you need to know.

That Radio Leicester have not already thought this was a good idea?

I went to get tested this afternoon at Victoria Park. There’s a positive case at the school my wife works at as of this morning, so all staff were told to not re-enter the school until they’ve been tested and had a negative result. I informed my place because I felt that I should have done, and they sent me home until I’ve done the same. 

I was surprised how quickly they got us in tbh. Was quick and easy process. Good job I went on an empty stomach though! 🤮

1 minute ago, stix said:

I went to get tested this afternoon at Victoria Park. There’s a positive case at the school my wife works at as of this morning, so all staff were told to not re-enter the school until they’ve been tested and had a negative result. I informed my place because I felt that I should have done, and they sent me home until I’ve done the same. 

I was surprised how quickly they got us in tbh. Was quick and easy process. Good job I went on an empty stomach though! 🤮

How long do results take at the minute? Used to be 2-3 days in May, has that changed at all?

6 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

How long do results take at the minute? Used to be 2-3 days in May, has that changed at all?

They say they try to get the results out within 48 hours. Although I think by about 4 o clock this afternoon Vicky park testing station had run out of tests for the day. So I suppose it depends somewhat on the numbers. Hopefully I’ll get the all clear on Friday so I can get back to work Monday. 

33 minutes ago, fox in the sox said:

Government have told Radio Leicester to do one bulletin each day in Gujarati. Tells you all you need to know.

What are you trying to say? Maybe they should broadcast in Hindi as well but there's no need to bother with Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Latvian etc, as they are not, shall I say, from an Indian sub-continent and are a less prevalent/obvious section of our multi-cultural city?

I think your post tells us all we need to know about you. :thumbdown:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1