Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

27 minutes ago, Monsall said:

What good would draconian policing do? Going for a MacDonalds is not a problem, other than the obesity one.

We all know why Leicester is in this pickle and I can predict where the next localised outbreaks will occur, and I could explain exactly why this is happening, but I can't do any of that because I would be running the risk of being accused of being racist. It seems we must all go on ignoring facts and spouting nonsense and eviscerating our economy simply because we are not allowed free speech any longer. Madness, utter madness. 
God help us when winter comes and people who don't work for the government have no jobs and no money and the cold winds blow and the ordinary 'flu gets going, we'll probably shut the place down again completely in case we catch 'flu.

There is clearly an issue within certain communities and by not being honest and open and addressing this directly it does not help those that need the most help here.

Whose stopped you from speaking ? 

• Like 2

I really do feel our game going ahead on Saturday here doesn’t quite send out the right message. 

I love this club and I know they are saying it’s got the HSE sign off, but it’s not right. 

6 minutes ago, Livid said:

I really do feel our game going ahead on Saturday here doesn’t quite send out the right message. 

I love this club and I know they are saying it’s got the HSE sign off, but it’s not right. 

What difference does it really make?

Nobodys there other than the players and a handful of staff all of whom are tested regularly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Currently discussing closing our place down again. **** sake. :nigel:

Remember you saying you were stacked out with work before. Is it because furlough has been reopened in Leicester do you think? 

25 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

What difference does it really make?

Nobodys there other than the players and a handful of staff all of whom are tested regularly.

I dont think its about making a difference but he said sending a message. 

I agree, if people are getting stopped from doing their jobs in leicester, football shouldn't be happening.

• Like 1

Mr Monsall has a very good point in my opinion as well.

Labour local authourities never going to get unpopular with their base though.

I worked highfields area for a couple of years in housing and it is dense streets very social lifestyles corner shops places of worship large extended families could easily be a very large factor.Out here in the suburbs I can go all day and not come within 5 metres of anyone else not likely on st peters road though.

May need some real solid effort from all round to tighten up in these areas plus the factories.Other areas with high rates are Bradford Barnsley and rochdale which follows the pattern.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, stix said:

Remember you saying you were stacked out with work before. Is it because furlough has been reopened in Leicester do you think? 

Looking that way. Local suppliers shutting down again. Currently working out if we've got enough to keep us going. Hopefully we have, don't think I can take anymore sitting around at home. :mellow:

Just read an article that states as of yet nothing has been agreed to give additional support to businesses in Leicester that have to close again because of the new lockdown. The government can’t have it both ways on this, do they genuinely expect these businesses to play ball when they could quite easily go bust?

This whole local lockdown thing has quite clearly not been planned and thought out properly! Now you’ve got other areas that are deemed as high risk and already their local politicians are coming out to say they don’t have an issue. Why? Because they know local lockdown will butcher their cities/towns/boroughs, they’ve seen how people have reacted to Leicester and know it will cripple local economies. What’s the point of really actively trying to test when you are punished like this for doing so? 

• Like 1

Just now, Innovindil said:

Looking that way. Local suppliers shutting down again. Currently working out if we've got enough to keep us going. Hopefully we have, don't think I can take anymore sitting around at home. :mellow:

Doesn’t bear thinking about. We’re at the absolute minimum number of staff members already, everyone else has been on furlough since the beginning. A week into a 45 day consultation for redundancy as well. Cutting a third of 200 employees by the end of August. 

After Monday nights announcement, work is the only thing keeping me sane at the minute. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, stix said:

Doesn’t bear thinking about. We’re at the absolute minimum number of staff members already, everyone else has been on furlough since the beginning. A week into a 45 day consultation for redundancy as well. Cutting a third of 200 employees by the end of August. 

After Monday nights announcement, work is the only thing keeping me sane at the minute. 

On a side issue, and it's prob been discussed elsewhere, wtf will people do when made redundant? 

My place is getting rid of 1/3 it's workforce. I've decided not to even think about it until I know for sure I'm getting the heave ho or not.

But, basically, there's no jobs to go to, is there?

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

So what are the punishments for breaking the rules? What can the police actually do? 

People know the rules, they just don’t care because they know they can get away with it. 

I don't want to turn this into a political debate but since Cummings thought he was well above everyone else why should anyone follow what Whitehall are saying?

Back on topic has Thurmaston Mac D's and the other stores up there closed again?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

On a side issue, and it's prob been discussed elsewhere, wtf will people do when made redundant? 

My place is getting rid of 1/3 it's workforce. I've decided not to even think about it until I know for sure I'm getting the heave ho or not.

Nail hit right on the head.

The Cure is worse than the disease, this is chicken feed to what is going to come in the future months/years. 

15 minutes ago, dynamark said:

Mr Monsall has a very good point in my opinion as well.

Labour local authourities never going to get unpopular with their base though.

I worked highfields area for a couple of years in housing and it is dense streets very social lifestyles corner shops places of worship large extended families could easily be a very large factor.Out here in the suburbs I can go all day and not come within 5 metres of anyone else not likely on st peters road though.

May need some real solid effort from all round to tighten up in these areas plus the factories.Other areas with high rates are Bradford Barnsley and rochdale which follows the pattern.

*sigh*

Based on the Financial Times article yesterday, the vast majority of positive cases in Leicester were via the test, track and trace method. Not hospital admissions. How do we know, not just in Leicester but around the country, that people in other places are following through and getting tested ? That is the first and foremost issue we need to iron out. If places such as Highfields have been targeted to be tested, it will give a high percentage of carriers. However, if places such as Blaby do not have as many participants, it creates an impression that residents of those areas have not been infected. For the good of city and more so the country, we need to understand the figures of how many people have been tested in each area to understand the risk to the city. Its a very different ball game with the Pillar 2 method then on simple hospital admissions and testing. That should be a genuine point that the local councils need to get to grips with. Otherwise, people, who are none the wiser get the belief that they are untouchable and not a carrier. 

• Like 1

The leaders are so pre occupied with this virus they’ve totally lost track of the damage they are causing trying to keep cases to a minimum. A virus that causes very little problems to fit healthy people under 60 is going to ruin these people’s lives for a long time going forward. 

• Like 1

Wow. I will pass on your chicken feed reasoning to my elderly relatives and tell them to buck their ideas up. I get everyone's worried, nobody knows how this is going to end, but we shouldn't damn others for our own benefit.

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Well there’s certainly not a big selection of opportunities about, and it will only get worse come October/November time imo. 

We’ve been on a 4 day week for 2 months already, so that’s obviously dropped my money in to category that may have a few more possibilities in. 

The other issue will more than likely be that, say a job that pays £35k now, come October time, will be down to around £27-28k because employers will have the pick of the huge bunch that will be applying. 

1 minute ago, MonmoreStef said:

The leaders are so pre occupied with this virus they’ve totally lost track of the damage they are causing trying to keep cases to a minimum. A virus that causes very little problems to fit healthy people under 60 is going to ruin these people’s lives for a long time going forward. 

So what is the answer?

9 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

*sigh*

Based on the Financial Times article yesterday, the vast majority of positive cases in Leicester were via the test, track and trace method. Not hospital admissions. How do we know, not just in Leicester but around the country, that people in other places are following through and getting tested ? That is the first and foremost issue we need to iron out. If places such as Highfields have been targeted to be tested, it will give a high percentage of carriers. However, if places such as Blaby do not have as many participants, it creates an impression that residents of those areas have not been infected. For the good of city and more so the country, we need to understand the figures of how many people have been tested in each area to understand the risk to the city. Its a very different ball game with the Pillar 2 method then on simple hospital admissions and testing. That should be a genuine point that the local councils need to get to grips with. Otherwise, people, who are none the wiser get the belief that they are untouchable and not a carrier. 

According to the PHE surveillance report for the week ending 25th June the percentage of cases within the Asian community has increased from 11.5% of cases in week 22 to 25% in week 25 (787 cases to 980 cases). Also, helpful if PHE could actually publish accurate data as the table 2 in this week’s report has the Asian numbers assigned to the BACB group. Accuracy not being one of PHE strong points. All other ethnic groups show consistent fall in numbers.

Persist with lockdowns = ruin the economy and the knock on effect to the young and healthy and pretty much everyone will be felt for years

Try and return to normal = the majority of people being unaffected by covid seriously but the health service may become overwhelmed and in the short term with all eyes watching more and more people will die, mostly the vulnerable.

Consequences either way and a really hideous situation to try and navigate through. However, the 1st and current option is potentially way more devastating to our populations lives longer term bit how do you go against what most countries are doing when the focus is on the seriously ill and the people who die with it. Ignorance is bliss to the majority of the world when the vulnerable get ill and die each and every year from various ailments and diseases and we all carry on living the rat race as for the majority it is the best way to achieve a good quality of life. We are now on the verge of ruins because an unknown pandemic has caused us to hibernate like a nuclear war.

Our handling of the whole pandemic has been very questionable but we are sacrificing the futures of our kids and the younger generation to try and protect a group of people who we might not be able to protect long term anyway, its a terrible decision to have to make.

In the meantime we will all drives ourselves mad as well with fear. What a life, loving it. Hope we lose 10 nil tonight as well.

12 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

Ah yes, the government is occupied with a pandemic that has killed 40,000+ in our country and is still rising. 

Edited by UniFox21

1 hour ago, Monsall said:

What good would draconian policing do? Going for a MacDonalds is not a problem, other than the obesity one.

We all know why Leicester is in this pickle and I can predict where the next localised outbreaks will occur, and I could explain exactly why this is happening, but I can't do any of that because I would be running the risk of being accused of being racist. It seems we must all go on ignoring facts and spouting nonsense and eviscerating our economy simply because we are not allowed free speech any longer. Madness, utter madness. 
God help us when winter comes and people who don't work for the government have no jobs and no money and the cold winds blow and the ordinary 'flu gets going, we'll probably shut the place down again completely in case we catch 'flu.

There is clearly an issue within certain communities and by not being honest and open and addressing this directly it does not help those that need the most help here.

You’re right about problems within certain communities. I think the one you’re pointing a finger at in this instance is the Asian one. Questions need to be answered why a lot of people in this community have apparently been forced back to work in certain factories. Aswell as that, I’d expect a high number within the Asian community were all being clapped every Thursday for the jobs they were doing on the frontline be it in the NHS or the various food manufacturing sites we have across Leicester and the shire.

Maybe the problem for some of the most deprived areas of the city that have been affected most is a combination of population density and exposure to the virus due to working arrangements? That’s what my money would be on.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Persist with lockdowns = ruin the economy and the knock on effect to the young and healthy and pretty much everyone will be felt for years

Try and return to normal = the majority of people being unaffected by covid seriously but the health service may become overwhelmed and in the short term with all eyes watching more and more people will die, mostly the vulnerable.

Consequences either way and a really hideous situation to try snd navigate through. However, the 1st and current option is potentially way more devastating to our populations lives longer term bit how do you go against what most countries are doing when the focus is on the seriously ill and the people who die with it. Ignorance is bliss to the majority of the world when the vulnerable get ill and die each and every year from various ailments and diseases and we all carry on living the rat race as for the majority it is the best way to achieve a good quality of life. We are now on the verge of ruins because an unknown pandemic has caused us to hibernate like a nuclear war.

Our handling of the whole pandemic has been very questionable but we are sacrificing the futures of our kids and the younger generation to try and protect a group of people who we might not be able to protect anyway long term anyway, its a terrible decision to have to make.

In the meantime we will all drives ourselves mad as well with fear. What a life, loving it. Hope we lose 10 nil tonight as well.

That’s the nail on the head for me. It feels like we took the lockdown route and are so far along that the government have got to stay on that path. It’s even more clearer that we’ve decided to open up again despite at the time not quite meeting the criteria laid out by Boris to do so.

Edited by Wet Trump
iPhones a pain in the arse
  • Like 1