Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

4 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

It’s hilarious that Scraptoft isn’t included in the lockdown considering it’s close proximity to Netherall/Hamilton/Thurnby Lodge/Evington. However as someone has already stated, Scraptoft is part of the Melton and Rutland constituency which is a Conservative stronghold. Political decisions whilst trying to deal with a pandemic :appl:

Thurmaston is part of charnwood constituency. Conservative stronghold. Part of the lockdown. 

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

The problem is, it may not be a spike.

1 - These extra confirmed cases have come from extra testing in the area, we were on the 16 june behind the other higher cities, like Rochdale and Bradford, then what happened was the government moved mobile testing units all into the east of the city (not spread out evenly which skewed the results) , and then are acting shocked when the inevitable happened, obviously if you test more people, and target those tests in specific cluster spots, you going to have a large change in the city wide stats, for the government to not know this is face palm.  NHS bosses have even told the mayor they accept this may well be whats happened.  The jump in cases between 16 june and monday is down to those testing units.  Even before the 16 june though, Leicester was part of a trial of a new track and trace system so has had more tests done than most other cities.  More on this on #2/

2 - Pillar 1 and pillar 2 testing, pillar 1 is the public data what you see in newspapers etc.  for most cities only pillar 1 data is public, but pillar 2 got released for leicester so the gov could justify the lockdown, this has led to people comparing leics pillar 2 to other cities pillar 1.  Leics pillar 1 data is higher then average but not spiking, its just steady.  

I am 50/50 on if this is just incompetence or deliberate designed to remind the public its not over and leics is the pick for the experiment, we have never been a favourable city for governments, we get very little grants etc, and also are only in trials that are trials for negative things like benefit reform etc.  Not for flashy things like FTTP broadband or new capital investments.  Also the areas that were under consideration for lockdown and were removed are all tory wards.

This should have been a quarantine of the streets in question and not a city wide lockdown, it should have been done 2 weeks ago, and schools should never have been reopened. 

There is also Kent etc, which have no local lockdown, where is the consistency?  I think we are a guinea pig right now, they awaiting to see what happens, before deciding on other areas.

We are the guinea pig the decision to shut the whole city and more, complete nonsense. I take a different opinion on the schools, they should have been open earlier than they were. In most of Europe they were first to open.

The whole re-opening has been a complete shambles. Peak of the virus was April 8th and here we are with this 3 months later. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

However Scraptoft is a stones through from an outbreak.

Think this has been spinned a little?

Conservative MPs with constituencies nudging the Leicester boundaries were having to go on social media to say they were still awaiting the information, late on Monday night.

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

20-30 people gathered last night in Macdonalds Thurmaston car park, police were called, they turned up and could only ask them to leave. No fines handed out, nothing. 

Pointless. 

Did they leave?

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

20-30 people gathered last night in Macdonalds Thurmaston car park, police were called, they turned up and could only ask them to leave. No fines handed out, nothing. 

Pointless. 

Because the law doesn't allow fines no more. The most recent revision went way back on the ability to move people on. 

Hancock did mention laws were coming to enforce shops to close in Leicester. 

For me, the government must literally spell out the rules/allowances - it's too vague and it's abused. Expect everyone to be an an idiot

Google Eyam in the plague.

Any views on end of ramadam -festival of eid some big gatherings I know of one around 40 folk in a back garden food  all age groups.

City authourites have to be brave forget politics and really get stuck in to advise people and enforce in the badly affected areas.

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Because the law doesn't allow fines no more. The most recent revision went way back on the ability to move people on. 

For me, the government must literally spell out the rules/allowances - it's too vague and it's abused. Expect everyone to be an an idiot

So what are the punishments for breaking the rules? What can the police actually do? 

People know the rules, they just don’t care because they know they can get away with it. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

I am out at fhe moment on my narrowboat, was wearing a Leicester city top yesterday and people were literally stepping away and covering their face when I approached.

Madness.

Season 2 Episode 6 GIF by Twin Peaks on Showtime - Find & Share on ...

• Haha 2

Guest Fktf
7 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Not straight away but eventually (after the meet was finished probably).  Same thing probably happens at Fosse Park. Why are we all following the rules yet others are allowed to easily flaunt them? It’s madness. 

Christ knows what will happen Saturday - grid lock on the roads and packed trains as everyone goes in search of an open pub. As much as we try to police by consent, it clearly isn't working here - or apparently in another 36 places. We need laws that allow the police to be tougher on people that refuse to follow the rules, and actually have the power to enforce them.   

7 minutes ago, dynamark said:

Google Eyam in the plague.

Any views on end of ramadam -festival of eid some big gatherings I know of one around 40 folk in a back garden food  all age groups.

City authourites have to be brave forget politics and really get stuck in to advise people and enforce in the badly affected areas.

Bloody hell. 40 people. What did the police say when you reported them ?

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

So what are the punishments for breaking the rules? What can the police actually do? 

People know the rules, they just don’t care because they know they can get away with it. 

What good would draconian policing do? Going for a MacDonalds is not a problem, other than the obesity one.

We all know why Leicester is in this pickle and I can predict where the next localised outbreaks will occur, and I could explain exactly why this is happening, but I can't do any of that because I would be running the risk of being accused of being racist. It seems we must all go on ignoring facts and spouting nonsense and eviscerating our economy simply because we are not allowed free speech any longer. Madness, utter madness. 
God help us when winter comes and people who don't work for the government have no jobs and no money and the cold winds blow and the ordinary 'flu gets going, we'll probably shut the place down again completely in case we catch 'flu.

There is clearly an issue within certain communities and by not being honest and open and addressing this directly it does not help those that need the most help here.

50 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

It’s hilarious that Scraptoft isn’t included in the lockdown considering it’s close proximity to Netherall/Hamilton/Thurnby Lodge/Evington. However as someone has already stated, Scraptoft is part of the Melton and Rutland constituency which is a Conservative stronghold. Political decisions whilst trying to deal with a pandemic :appl:

Oadby and Wigston are also part of the lockdown, however we're in the Harborough constituency, which is also Conservative. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Just make sure that it's spelt out in every language so it can't be used as an excuse (as it seemed to be yesterday). 

8 minutes ago, Monsall said:

What good would draconian policing do? Going for a MacDonalds is not a problem, other than the obesity one.

We all know why Leicester is in this pickle and I can predict where the next localised outbreaks will occur, and I could explain exactly why this is happening, but I can't do any of that because I would be running the risk of being accused of being racist. It seems we must all go on ignoring facts and spouting nonsense and eviscerating our economy simply because we are not allowed free speech any longer. Madness, utter madness. 
God help us when winter comes and people who don't work for the government have no jobs and no money and the cold winds blow and the ordinary 'flu gets going, we'll probably shut the place down again completely in case we catch 'flu.

There is clearly an issue within certain communities and by not being honest and open and addressing this directly it does not help those that need the most help here.

Going for Macdonalds is not an issue, but having a car meet there (Cruise Tuesdays) and 20-30 people looking at each others cars, huddled together with no masks on is a problem. It's not helping the situation, nor are any of the other people who are meeting up.

Meh, I'm done with it now, I feel no qualms about breaking this lockdown myself to have beers with my mates, I'm fed up of being punished because of others, and I imagine there's thousands out there like me that feel the same.

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The fine remains in law but the Police have to 'direct' the person back to their address. If that is refused then an offence is committed. 

Previously if you had no good reason for being in public, you were deemed committing an offence at that moment there. 

23 minutes ago, Monsall said:

Then how come you're practising it right now? :rolleyes:

How many people out and about in Leicester will now have childcare issues or be testing their eyesight. Or even going to a partners in soulsbrys case.

How can anyone enforce anything when no one in charge took it seriously either. Along with the piss poor leadership, people are fed up with being told what to do.

This was always going to happen given how the government have tackled the last few months.