Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

This is just looking more for truth & poltical honesty...

I would like to see...London...Leicester...Blackburn.& Suburbs Graphical Corvid map comparisons..

That allows then any area or city can be slotted, & moulded in... 

Then a European City Map also  allowing comparison statistics....using also drag & drop...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

City councillor broke Leicester lockdown rules with family barbecue in garden
She has apologised saying she did not understand the restrictions

ByDan MartinPolitics Reporter
20:00, 13 AUG 2020

Coun Ruma Ali has apologised after having the barbecue, at which she is pictured, in her garden (Image: Supplied by Ruma Ali)

A city councillor broke the Leicester lockdown rules when members of her family came into her garden for a barbecue to celebrate Eid.

Councillor Ruma Ali has apologised for the gathering, which took place after the Government ordered that people in Leicester should not mix with others from different households at home or in private gardens to try to stop the spread of coronavirus.

Coun Ali, who represents the Humberstone and Hamilton ward on the Labour-run council, said she had not understood the rules, which the Government had changed just a few days before her barbecue on Sunday, August 3.

The Labour politician is now facing calls to resign as a councillor.

She told LeicestershireLive that 10 adults and a number of children had been present at the barbecue, of which she posted images on Facebook.

The guests included two sisters and her parents.

As a single mother Coun Ali would have been permitted to have adults from one other household at the barbecue if she had formed a bubble with them.

However, because adults from four different addresses were present, the rules were broken.

In a written statement, Coun Ali said: “I had a family BBQ in my large garden with my immediate family who all live within close proximity to me.

“I did not think I was breaking any lockdown rules, because I am a single parent and my family are my bubble.

“I thought we could meet at the park and open spaces (garden).

“This was a misunderstanding due to the lockdown rules continuously changing.

“It has been very complicated and confusing what you can and can't do.

“I would like to offer my sincere apologies and I will be more careful in future.”

Coun Ali's Facebook post
The councillor told LeicestershireLive that none of the family members present had contracted the virus.

The breach of the rules followed Leicester City Council and Muslim community leaders urging people to observe Eid al Adha, known as the Festival of Sacrifice, at home and not to gather at mosques or at each others homes.

They said the restrictions, though tough, were intended to protect families and loved ones from the virus.

In response to the breach, the deputy chairman of Leicester Conservatives said: “It is unsurprising that Coun Ali broke the clear government Covid restrictions when the mayor of the city broke the full lockdown rules earlier in the year to visit his partner.

“I share the anger of the numerous people I have spoken to who wanted to celebrate Eid over the weekend but acted in good faith and stayed away from friends and family.

“Cour Ali has let down our entire city and should consider her position as a councillor.”

Coun Ali's apology also follows a plea by the council's director of public health, Professor Ivan Browne, for people to stick to the rules after data showed the virus was still spreading between and among households in the city.

Leicester's top public health official outlines city's quickest way out of lockdown
Director of public health Ivan Browne has been speaking ahead of a Government review of restrictions on Friday

18:45, 13 AUG 2020

Leicester’s top public health official has said the city’s quickest route out of lockdown is for people to stick closely to social distancing and restrictions on households meeting.

The city council’s director of public health Professor Ivan Browne has been speaking about the efforts to halt the spread of Covid-19 ahead of a Government review of remaining restrictions expected on Friday.

Prof Brown said he believed a ban on mixing between households imposed in the city would be ‘with us for a little while longer’ and said his greatest concern at the moment was that data showed the virus was still spreading between homes, and then among families.

He said people following the guidance, and isolating if they are called by contact tracers, was the only way to stop infections.

“There are no anti-virals, no vaccine, so we have to rely on people doing the right things quickly as they possibly can.

“As a city, we have done pretty well on that.

“When we started this [in June] we had infection rates of 140 per 100,000 but we are now mid-50s per 100,000, though it does go up and down a bit.

“We are still significantly above the national average, but we are doing something significantly different.”

Prof Browne said the city was still carrying out mass testing, including on people who have no virus symptoms, but added: “We won’t really know where we are at until we get to the place where we are testing in the same way the rest of the country is testing - that is, just testing those who are symptomatic or presenting themselves for tests.

“We are not increasing our numbers [infection rate] and that is encouraging.

“We are seeing some of our hotspot numbers coming down.

“We are trying to be as responsible as we can be about our easement of lockdown because we know in other parts of the country we have seen the numbers start to go back up again.”

He added: “There are a shed load of hypotheses about where the problem is, but now - and it has taken a while - we are getting much richer data.

“That is telling us household transmission is still the area that gives me the greatest concern.

“That is not to say it [transmission] doesn’t happen in other venues and settings, but household transmission is the key driver for us.”

Leicester’s pubs, restaurants and hairdressers were only allowed to re-open for the first time since March earlier this month and Prof Browne said it was still ‘early days’ to see if that development has had an impact on infection numbers in the city.

He said: “Association is not causation, but it is not rocket science to say the country is starting to see a slight uptick and that’s probably because there are some of the issues we have got in other parts of the country.

“But there is a narrative that this is happening as the relaxation of lockdown continues.

“We heard the chief medical officer [Professor Chris Whitty] come out and say we probably have gone as far as we can go at the moment.

Prof Browne added: “Winter preparedness is my other worry area.

“We know the virus was quite virulent in the colder months, and we know the pressure on hospitals increases in the winter.

“That is why - and I can’t say this enough - we have to do what we can to get community transmission down to the lowest level possible so we can cope over that period.

“It’s natural people want to see a relaxation of lockdown, especially here where we have been under it for longer than anywhere else.

“But if you push that too far we will be right back in it.

“We had some early gains and we really don’t want to lose all that good work.

“The virus is still out there and every person who is not complying with the rules is giving the it a chance to spread.

“We know we will never get everyone to stick to the rules, but we have to get to where the vast majority are.”

'Sorry if there has been confusion.

Not for the first time during Leicester Lockdown there has been little mixed messaging.

After the city council said it wasn't expecting an announcement today, the Government made one - of a sort.

The restrictions as they are in Leicester remain in place for now.

But they will be reviewed by Monday.'

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/leicester-lockdown-live-updates-what-4423918

If it's extended by another 2 weeks, by the time people are allowed out as normal it'll be about time for another national lockdownlol

Restaurants were jam packed. Very little social distancing. And then I get a polite warning at a park yesterday by a security guard saying police might fine you as we are playing 4 vs 3 football, dad's in goal, other lads under 13.

If it makes money, it's fine. It'll bring money for the taxman. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newfox1 said:

Restaurants were jam packed. Very little social distancing. And then I get a polite warning at a park yesterday by a security guard saying police might fine you as we are playing 4 vs 3 football, dad's in goal, other lads under 13.

If it makes money, it's fine. It'll bring money for the taxman. 

Hes wrong - suggest he checks the FA’s guidance when it comes to grass roots football. 

10 hours ago, davieG said:

Leicester's top public health official outlines city's quickest way out of lockdown
Director of public health Ivan Browne has been speaking ahead of a Government review of restrictions on Friday

18:45, 13 AUG 2020

Leicester’s top public health official has said the city’s quickest route out of lockdown is for people to stick closely to social distancing and restrictions on households meeting.

The city council’s director of public health Professor Ivan Browne has been speaking about the efforts to halt the spread of Covid-19 ahead of a Government review of remaining restrictions expected on Friday.

Prof Brown said he believed a ban on mixing between households imposed in the city would be ‘with us for a little while longer’ and said his greatest concern at the moment was that data showed the virus was still spreading between homes, and then among families.

He said people following the guidance, and isolating if they are called by contact tracers, was the only way to stop infections.

“There are no anti-virals, no vaccine, so we have to rely on people doing the right things quickly as they possibly can.

“As a city, we have done pretty well on that.

“When we started this [in June] we had infection rates of 140 per 100,000 but we are now mid-50s per 100,000, though it does go up and down a bit.

“We are still significantly above the national average, but we are doing something significantly different.”

Prof Browne said the city was still carrying out mass testing, including on people who have no virus symptoms, but added: “We won’t really know where we are at until we get to the place where we are testing in the same way the rest of the country is testing - that is, just testing those who are symptomatic or presenting themselves for tests.

“We are not increasing our numbers [infection rate] and that is encouraging.

“We are seeing some of our hotspot numbers coming down.

“We are trying to be as responsible as we can be about our easement of lockdown because we know in other parts of the country we have seen the numbers start to go back up again.”

He added: “There are a shed load of hypotheses about where the problem is, but now - and it has taken a while - we are getting much richer data.

“That is telling us household transmission is still the area that gives me the greatest concern.

“That is not to say it [transmission] doesn’t happen in other venues and settings, but household transmission is the key driver for us.”

Leicester’s pubs, restaurants and hairdressers were only allowed to re-open for the first time since March earlier this month and Prof Browne said it was still ‘early days’ to see if that development has had an impact on infection numbers in the city.

He said: “Association is not causation, but it is not rocket science to say the country is starting to see a slight uptick and that’s probably because there are some of the issues we have got in other parts of the country.

“But there is a narrative that this is happening as the relaxation of lockdown continues.

“We heard the chief medical officer [Professor Chris Whitty] come out and say we probably have gone as far as we can go at the moment.

Prof Browne added: “Winter preparedness is my other worry area.

“We know the virus was quite virulent in the colder months, and we know the pressure on hospitals increases in the winter.

“That is why - and I can’t say this enough - we have to do what we can to get community transmission down to the lowest level possible so we can cope over that period.

“It’s natural people want to see a relaxation of lockdown, especially here where we have been under it for longer than anywhere else.

“But if you push that too far we will be right back in it.

“We had some early gains and we really don’t want to lose all that good work.

“The virus is still out there and every person who is not complying with the rules is giving the it a chance to spread.

“We know we will never get everyone to stick to the rules, but we have to get to where the vast majority are.”

....and another one

Police involved as Leicester councillor Rashmi Joshi is filmed breaking social distancing rules

The former lord mayor of Leicester was recorded at a temple where he is a trustee

By

Dan MartinPolitics Reporter

18:03, 14 AUG 2020

A Leicester councillor is at the centre of a row about breaching lockdown rules after he was filmed taking part in a religious ceremony where people were not socially-distancing.

Rashmi Joshi was recorded with other devotees clustered together at the Shivalya Mandir on Belgrave Road earlier this week.

Footage of Coun Joshi, who is the Labour member for North Evington, has been shared on Facebook and attracted angry comments from people who have accused him of hypocrisy after he urged others to stick to social distancing in video messages.

It comes after his Labour Leicester East colleague Coun Ruma Ali apologised for breaking lockdown rules by holding a barbecue in her garden to celebrate Eid.

And in June, Leicester Mayor Sir Peter Soulsby said he was ‘genuinely sorry’ for visiting his partner’s home numerous times during lockdown.

The Labour mayor of Leicester lives in Evington in city but was visiting his partner’s home in Groby some five miles away while strict restrictions were in place to try to stop the spread of Covid-19.

Former Lord Mayor of Leicester Coun Joshi told LeicestershireLive he had referred himself to the city council’s standards board.

However Coun Joshi has insisted the minute-long video shows only part of the celebration of Krishna Janmashtami at the temple where he is a trustee.

He told LeicestershireLive: “Before that video was taken everything was fine.

"People were adhering to social distancing according to the Government guidelines.

“But then spontaneously people had so much joy they started to dance and it was out of control. It just happened.

"I tried to intervene.

“I was saying ‘You have to stop because you are not following the guidelines’.”

The video, which LeicestershireLive does not have permission to use, shows Coun Joshi holding an earthenware pot of sweets which is then smashed so children can offer them to mark the birth of the Lord Krishna.

When asked why it did not appear he was trying to stop the celebration, Coun Joshi said: “The children wanted to make an offering. I wanted to get things done as quickly as possible because I wanted the room to be cleared and for people to go.”

Belgrave resident Minesh Patel told LeicestershireLive councillor Joshi’s explanation was ridiculous.

He said: “He must think we are all daft. Everyone has seen with their own eyes what is happening on the video and it is not how he describes it.

“Coun Joshi is always on community radio telling people how important it is to stick to the rules and he has not done it himself.

"People are furious.

"He should be leading by example and he is not.

Police and council officers are now to visit the temple to find out what happened.

A city council spokeswoman said: “A member of our regulatory services team and a local beat officer will be visiting the venue to speak to the organiser of the event and to get more information.

“It’s important that people continue to follow the current rules around gatherings both indoors and outdoors.”

Chairman of the city council’s Labour group councillor said local party officials would meet this weekend to discuss councillor Ali’s and Coun Joshi’s actions

He said: “We take breaches of the lockdown rules very seriously.

“We will be discussing how we make sure Labour councillors both understand and uphold our very important public health messages.

“We must all play our part in driving down infection rates and help Leicester come out of lockdown at the earliest opportunity.”

16 hours ago, davieG said:

....and another one

Police involved as Leicester councillor Rashmi Joshi is filmed breaking social distancing rules

The former lord mayor of Leicester was recorded at a temple where he is a trustee

By

Dan MartinPolitics Reporter

18:03, 14 AUG 2020

A Leicester councillor is at the centre of a row about breaching lockdown rules after he was filmed taking part in a religious ceremony where people were not socially-distancing.

Rashmi Joshi was recorded with other devotees clustered together at the Shivalya Mandir on Belgrave Road earlier this week.

Footage of Coun Joshi, who is the Labour member for North Evington, has been shared on Facebook and attracted angry comments from people who have accused him of hypocrisy after he urged others to stick to social distancing in video messages.

It comes after his Labour Leicester East colleague Coun Ruma Ali apologised for breaking lockdown rules by holding a barbecue in her garden to celebrate Eid.

And in June, Leicester Mayor Sir Peter Soulsby said he was ‘genuinely sorry’ for visiting his partner’s home numerous times during lockdown.

The Labour mayor of Leicester lives in Evington in city but was visiting his partner’s home in Groby some five miles away while strict restrictions were in place to try to stop the spread of Covid-19.

Former Lord Mayor of Leicester Coun Joshi told LeicestershireLive he had referred himself to the city council’s standards board.

However Coun Joshi has insisted the minute-long video shows only part of the celebration of Krishna Janmashtami at the temple where he is a trustee.

He told LeicestershireLive: “Before that video was taken everything was fine.

"People were adhering to social distancing according to the Government guidelines.

“But then spontaneously people had so much joy they started to dance and it was out of control. It just happened.

"I tried to intervene.

“I was saying ‘You have to stop because you are not following the guidelines’.”

The video, which LeicestershireLive does not have permission to use, shows Coun Joshi holding an earthenware pot of sweets which is then smashed so children can offer them to mark the birth of the Lord Krishna.

When asked why it did not appear he was trying to stop the celebration, Coun Joshi said: “The children wanted to make an offering. I wanted to get things done as quickly as possible because I wanted the room to be cleared and for people to go.”

Belgrave resident Minesh Patel told LeicestershireLive councillor Joshi’s explanation was ridiculous.

He said: “He must think we are all daft. Everyone has seen with their own eyes what is happening on the video and it is not how he describes it.

“Coun Joshi is always on community radio telling people how important it is to stick to the rules and he has not done it himself.

"People are furious.

"He should be leading by example and he is not.

Police and council officers are now to visit the temple to find out what happened.

A city council spokeswoman said: “A member of our regulatory services team and a local beat officer will be visiting the venue to speak to the organiser of the event and to get more information.

“It’s important that people continue to follow the current rules around gatherings both indoors and outdoors.”

Chairman of the city council’s Labour group councillor said local party officials would meet this weekend to discuss councillor Ali’s and Coun Joshi’s actions

He said: “We take breaches of the lockdown rules very seriously.

“We will be discussing how we make sure Labour councillors both understand and uphold our very important public health messages.

“We must all play our part in driving down infection rates and help Leicester come out of lockdown at the earliest opportunity.”

I'm honestly so enraged by the selfishness of these *****. Normal civilians breaking the rules I bad enough but council workers who should know better but obviously see themselves as above everyone else. The longer other people **** about the longer people who abide by the rules suffer. 

I work as a social carer for a guy with autism and haven't been able to earn a penny since March because of the private nature of the arrangement meant I couldn't be furloughed but also he's at extra risk from Covid so normal close contact work made it impossible. The thing that infuriates me is that this Joshi bloke's ceremony was right outside where my client lives. I booked in a week's work in August but the lockdown extension meant it was cancelled.

Thinking of sending Joshi a ****ing invoice.

• Like 4

On 01/08/2020 at 14:42, fuchsntf said:

This is just looking more for truth & poltical honesty...

I would like to see...London...Leicester...Blackburn.& Suburbs Graphical Corvid map comparisons..

That allows then any area or city can be slotted, & moulded in... 

Then a European City Map also  allowing comparison statistics....using also drag & drop...

U wot mate?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I'm honestly so enraged by the selfishness of these *****. Normal civilians breaking the rules I bad enough but council workers who should know better but obviously see themselves as above everyone else. The longer other people **** about the longer people who abide by the rules suffer. 

I work as a social carer for a guy with autism and haven't been able to earn a penny since March because of the private nature of the arrangement meant I couldn't be furloughed but also he's at extra risk from Covid so normal close contact work made it impossible. The thing that infuriates me is that this Joshi bloke's ceremony was right outside where my client lives. I booked in a week's work in August but the lockdown extension meant it was cancelled.

Thinking of sending Joshi a ****ing invoice.

How have you survived for that long ffs!

20 cases per 100k people seems to be the new trend from the the government with their "moving goalposts", thats the metric they using now to determine if a country is entered into travel restrictions.

Leicester is miles from that, and London is only just below that, I wonder if this goal post gets moved based on London's figures in future?

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Those councillors and their excuses. Absolute thickos

The council is a joke, I have basically ignored them for years, but I have started looking into their spending history, attendance records at meetings etc. after all the covid shambles have come to light and it doesnt make good reading.

On 14/08/2020 at 14:49, Leicester_Loyal said:

'Sorry if there has been confusion.

Not for the first time during Leicester Lockdown there has been little mixed messaging.

After the city council said it wasn't expecting an announcement today, the Government made one - of a sort.

The restrictions as they are in Leicester remain in place for now.

But they will be reviewed by Monday.'

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/leicester-lockdown-live-updates-what-4423918

If it's extended by another 2 weeks, by the time people are allowed out as normal it'll be about time for another national lockdownlol

The city wont be out of lockdown for rest of year at the very least.

Schools reopening soon.

Hospitality reopened.

No action against factories.

Religious activities ignoring social distancing.

Government reducing expected case load to have no intervention.

Just cant see it happening, the saving grace though there is little enforcement, so in practice we not in lockdown.

I also wouldnt be surprised to see fans from outside the city be allowed to attend EPL games in the city whilst there is still an official city lockdown, that would be a complete joke, but it will happen.

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

The council is a joke, I have basically ignored them for years, but I have started looking into their spending history, attendance records at meetings etc. after all the covid shambles have come to light and it doesnt make good reading.

Care to share?

9 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

IF you want a report it depends if I can be bothered to organise it all, I just have googled bits here and there.

So the council is a "joke" in your opinion, and you've found a raft of stuff and yet you will only make people aware of the information if you "can be bothered?"

Either you like having the current administration in power so you can bemoan them everyday, or you don't have anything substantive and can't actually back up your original assertion.

By all means show us what you have, but to say something "doesn't make good reading" actually means naff all if you're not going to either share the information or at least summarise your findings. 

12 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

So the council is a "joke" in your opinion, and you've found a raft of stuff and yet you will only make people aware of the information if you "can be bothered?"

Either you like having the current administration in power so you can bemoan them everyday, or you don't have anything substantive and can't actually back up your original assertion.

By all means show us what you have, but to say something "doesn't make good reading" actually means naff all if you're not going to either share the information or at least summarise your findings. 

Wow you seem a bit defensive of the council which relative works there?

Also someone is only allowed to criticise if they like the current administration? how does that work?

I just need to check, we do have freedom of speech right?

We not in a court where I have to provide evidence to a judge, I am on a forum posting an opinion.  I dont have to prove anything to you, but on the flip side you can disagree with me.  If I posted saying I think the council are wonderful, and spend money really well, would you be asking me for proof or liking my post?

Also do you ask everyone for proof of their opinion or did you pick on me because I criticised your fable council? 

Edited by Chrysalis

53 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Wow you seem a bit defensive of the council which relative works there?

Also someone is only allowed to criticise if they like the current administration? how does that work?

I just need to check, we do have freedom of speech right?

We not in a court where I have to provide evidence to a judge, I am on a forum posting an opinion.  I dont have to prove anything to you, but on the flip side you can disagree with me.  If I posted saying I think the council are wonderful, and spend money really well, would you be asking me for proof or liking my post?

Also do you ask everyone for proof of their opinion or did you pick on me because I criticised your fable council? 

Haha unfortunately for you I have no relative who works for the council.

I dunno about you, but I thought free speech needed to be backed up when you're making accusations. By all means, say that you hate Soulsby, say you don't like Labour, say what you like in that matter.

Problem is, when you get to asserting that things "don't make for great reading" after cultivating research, we... Ya know, kinda need to see it? Because, shock of shocks, if you make a statement like that and don't back up up you sort of, uh, come across as a weirdo shouting into the wind.

You... you do have evidence don't you? Because your reply seemed to criticise my post and, (oh man this is sooo awkward), not actually back up what you said?

It's okay, you don't have anything and you dislike Soulsby. That's okay :) that's freedom of speech! You didn't have to make anything up with your fake research to convince us. Look, I know that's the way of the internet these days; make a baseless accusation and move on. Just don't be surprised when you're pulled up on it.

(Again though, if you want to... You know... Share your findings we would be all ears. Every government needs scrutiny, no matter at what level. Fill us all in now, whenever you're bothered to share this very important info with us.)

Its an opinion, I would like you to respect I have it, I respect you dont agree.  Maybe one day I will post some stuff, but I think hardly anyone is interested, if you are interested and not just here to attack me for not been a fan of how things are been run I will try and collate information.

But some examples if you are curious.

Attendance records are public information on the council's website.

Spending of grants is public information on the government website.

The 20 million pounds been spent to make st margarets bus station look nice is on the Leicester mercury website.

The councillors been caught disregarding lockdown is on the Leicester mercury website.

On 17/08/2020 at 21:23, Chrysalis said:

IF you want a report it depends if I can be bothered to organise it all, I just have googled bits here and there.

I was genuinely curious what you'd come across, but this sounds a little more hassle than I thought it would be..