Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

3 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

While I agree with you from a fan:s perspective, we really do need to be competing in the champions league on a nearly annual basis to achieve the club's ambition.

What exactly are the clubs ambition? Is it to be up there with the Rich 6 which have become somewhat tainted. 

I guess wanting to win the PL now and again, winning a domestic cup and  competing in Europe are good ideals but you need the money to sustain that?

So the actual aim becomes somewhat blurred and now seems to be to generate as much money as we can even if we don't actually win anything.

29 minutes ago, davieG said:

What exactly are the clubs ambition? Is it to be up there with the Rich 6 which have become somewhat tainted. 

I guess wanting to win the PL now and again, winning a domestic cup and  competing in Europe are good ideals but you need the money to sustain that?

So the actual aim becomes somewhat blurred and now seems to be to generate as much money as we can even if we don't actually win anything.

Exactly, I dont want to be one of those clubs where we get in that loop of just wanting top 4 so we can maximise revenue, then before we know it we become a spurs.

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I like Potter. Says good stuff and plays good stuff. 

I don't think I've ever seen a side create so much but finish so little.

I think he's a great Manager. If Spurs were smart they'd give him the Managers Job. He surely is a top Manager in waiting. The way his teams play is a joy to watch. 

• Like 1

- Bottlers

- Chokers

- Failures

We bottled/choked/failed to...

- win the league in 1929 and 1963.

- win four FA Cup Finals.

- win our FA Cup semi finals in '74 and '82.

- win the play offs in '92 and '93.

- stay in the PL in '95.

- progress past R1 in UEFA Cup in '97 and '00.

- win the 1999 L Cup final.

- win our FAC quarter final in 2001.

- stay in the PL in '02 and '04.

- stay up in The Championship in 2008.

- get promotion via play offs in 2010.

- get promotion via play offs in 2013.

- win the 2016 Community Shield.

- win our CL quarter final in 2017.

- win our L Cup semi final and FAC quarter final and finish top four in 2020.

- win our first KO round in the UEL in 2021.

We have a history of bottling, choking, failing.

Or, as some might see it, we don't always get over the line when we hope / expect to.

It's football. It doesn't always go to plan.

5 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

- Bottlers

- Chokers

- Failures

We bottled/choked/failed to...

- win the league in 1929 and 1963.

- win four FA Cup Finals.

- win our FA Cup semi finals in '74 and '82.

- win the play offs in '92 and '93.

- stay in the PL in '95.

- progress past R1 in UEFA Cup in '97 and '00.

- win the 1999 L Cup final.

- win our FAC quarter final in 2001.

- stay in the PL in '02 and '04.

- stay up in The Championship in 2008.

- get promotion via play offs in 2010.

- get promotion via play offs in 2013.

- win the 2016 Community Shield.

- win our CL quarter final in 2017.

- win our L Cup semi final and FAC quarter final and finish top four in 2020.

- win our first KO round in the UEL in 2021.

We have a history of bottling, choking, failing.

Or, as some might see it, we don't always get over the line when we hope / expect to.

It's football. It doesn't always go to plan.

Sarcasm duly noted but we blew a 15 point lead. Not even Harry Redknapp's Spurs did that back in the early 2010s. Not even Keegan's Newcastle did that back in the 90s. I don't like the word bottlers either but last season's collapse was unacceptable. You can spin how you like it.

Edited by Koke
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I didn't enjoy it one little bit.

However we finished fifth - FIFTH IN THE TOP DIVISION - and while it wasn't where it could've been, it was still an incredible season.

This season, with all our injuries, we won our UEL group, reached an FA Cup Final (which we may or may not win) and may finish sixth at worst - it is not a disaster.

People can throw around terms like 'bottlers' or 'chokers' or 'failures' (as you and others often do) but we're living the damn dream right now, dilly ding dilly dong!

Finishing 5th is great all things considered but we have the best squad we've ever had. We have a better squad than Spurs, as some of your Talksport colleagues were discussing yesterday, and we have a better squad than Arsenal. Rodgers isn't working with De Laet and Schlupp. Nobody is saying we have to win every game and every competition which you sarcastically allude to regularly.

15 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

No desire to pick a fight with you Koke, because I'm certain you're a great bloke. But I just disagree with calling something unfortunate as 'unacceptable'. The ESL is unacceptable, financial doping is unacceptable, blatant hatred is unacceptable, corruption is unacceptable. 

Hard as last season was to take, it still resulted in steps forward, and we've benefited and learnt from it this season, in my opinion. Had the players downed tools or given in last season, I'd agree with you, but what happened was that a developing team /squad came up short. You might call that spin - I call it trying to understand what happened without using pejorative language. 

Bit pedantic but it's okay :D I don't go on about last season a lot because as you said we have learnt from it but it seems like some people are so reluctant to be critical of our players and manager when they deserve it. 

16 minutes ago, Koke said:

Finishing 5th is great all things considered but we have the best squad we've ever had. We have a better squad than Spurs, as some of your Talksport colleagues were discussing yesterday, and we have a better squad than Arsenal. Rodgers isn't working with De Laet and Schlupp. Nobody is saying we have to win every game and every competition which you sarcastically allude to regularly.

We are above those two, those two alleged superpowers, so not quite sure what this has to do with much, sorry

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The problem is Geoff, the manner in which some things are achieved is what fans ultimately measure things by and often never ever forget. For example, it only takes one maybe two bad results this season and a section of our fans will be all over Rodgers and the team, slinging the bottlers insults and immediately ignoring any progression or good will that has occurred.

The fact we put last seasons capitulation behind us after a few weeks off season and with hideous injuries and juggling a number of different competitions. However, had we obtained those 62 points last season more evenly, or started the season poorly and then shown top 2 form for the final 20 games and snuck in the top 4 right at the death then this gaff would be right up Rodgers and the teams harris's and especially when following up that with what we are doing this season.

This season's unbelievable consistency and mental improvement counts for nothing because of last seasons supposed failures for some fans. They can't and won't forget unless we do something unfathomable like win numerous trophies. Rodgers will be taken for granted by some of our fans and its yet more evidence of how entitled some of us have become. 

These are fan problems, not club problems. I get fans like to critique, but context is everything and if people only read the headlines you miss the reality of the situation.

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

We are above those two, those two alleged superpowers, so not quite sure what this has to do with much, sorry

If our squad is better why is it a surprise that we are above them? Surely it should be expected, no? 

I'm fully behind Rodgers and support him. The reluctance to be slightly critical is weird. I love Vardy too but can we not say he's been poor for X games if he has? Or will we be constantly reminded that We finished 5th and 1st? Rodgers is doing unbelievably good. His win % is great. His football is good. It's also okay to have expectations due to the quality he's working with. 

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

I'm fully behind Rodgers and support him. The reluctance to be slightly critical is weird. I love Vardy too but can we not say he's been poor for X games if he has? Or will we be constantly reminded that We finished 5th and 1st? Rodgers is doing unbelievably good. His win % is great. His football is good. It's also okay to have expectations due to the quality he's working with. 

Maybe people are reluctant to be critical because they weigh up everything going on, the progress under BR, and therefore are prepared to cut more slack to him and players.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Sadly, some fans on here and social media feel the need to blast every mistake, every misplaced pass etc. Strong, emotive words get more traction.

I've been critical of the manager and players but I try and temper it because of the wider picture.

2 hours ago, davieG said:

With the collapse of the Super League, the club's ambition's AFAIK is the same as it was before... to replace Tottenham in the "big 6" lol

To do that, we need a share of Champions League money. In addition, how long exactly do you expect to hold onto players like Tielemans, Fofana, etc. if we aren't competing in the Champions League? 

Make no mistake about it, the window to disrupt the established order will eventually close. If we choke away the champions league spot this year (again) and don't make it back in the next few seasons, our best players will leave and there's no guarantee they will be replaced by newer/better players. Brendan will also leave or be sacked, and we are one bad hire away from returning to being a middle/bottom of the table team. 

Don't get complacent just cause some greedy owners wanted to make more money.

4 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

With the collapse of the Super League, the club's ambition's AFAIK is the same as it was before... to replace Tottenham in the "big 6" lol

To do that, we need a share of Champions League money. In addition, how long exactly do you expect to hold onto players like Tielemans, Fofana, etc. if we aren't competing in the Champions League? 

Make no mistake about it, the window to disrupt the established order will eventually close. If we choke away the champions league spot this year (again) and don't make it back in the next few seasons, our best players will leave and there's no guarantee they will be replaced by newer/better players. Brendan will also leave or be sacked, and we are one bad hire away from returning to being a middle/bottom of the table team. 

Don't get complacent just cause some greedy owners wanted to make more money.

I'm not getting complacent more disheartened and disillusioned as the emphasis on most people's minds is chase the money.

I'm not that hooked being one of the  big 6 otherwise you can end up being part of a group that I despise somewhat. I've enjoyed many years of football slumming it with the also rans and I'd rather lose those players than become part of some elite which is at the expense of the greater pyramid of football. 

I'd rather see us as a club championing equality throughout the game but I guess I'm in the minority.

I suppose I'm starting to question what we're about as football club and do I want to be part of it. It all just seems to stink of £££££££s at any cost.

40 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Maybe people are reluctant to be critical because they weigh up everything going on, the progress under BR, and therefore are prepared to cut more slack to him and players.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Sadly, some fans on here and social media feel the need to blast every mistake, every misplaced pass etc. Strong, emotive words get more traction.

I've been critical of the manager and players but I try and temper it because of the wider picture.

46 minutes ago, Koke said:

Problem is @Koke and this is not intended to offend @UpTheLeagueFox but you're talking to a sports journalist. Have you ever heard any journo ask the sort of question you would ask if you got the chance post match or pre match? No, it's the same template questions every week. I've never seen a journo asked to leave a press conference and for good reason, they almost never ask anything remotely in line with what a fan would ask/want to say.

Geoff despised Puel but he wouldn't have said Boo to him in a presser because it's just not the done thing for whatever reason.

Managers like Klopp moan at the slightest sign of a challenging question post/pre match, can you imagine how they would handle it if post match was just a zoom call with 8 fans?!? lol 

There's clearly a rule book and a template to follow, Journalists do most of their open criticism on twitter but wouldn't dare repeat it in a presser... i've no idea why.

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 1

Latest amended fixtures

(all times BST)

Friday 30 April

20:00 Southampton v Leicester (Sky Sports)

Saturday 1 May

12:30 Crystal Palace v Man City (BT Sport)
15:00 Brighton v Leeds (Amazon Prime)
17:30 Chelsea v Fulham (Sky Sports)
20:00 Everton v Aston Villa (BT Sport)

Sunday 2 May

14:00 Newcastle v Arsenal (Sky Sports)
16:30 Man Utd v Liverpool (Sky Sports)
19:15 Spurs v Sheffield Utd (Sky Sports)

Monday 3 May

18:00 West Brom v Wolves (Sky Sports)
20:15 Burnley v West Ham (Sky Sports)

Friday 7 May

20:00 Leicester v Newcastle (Sky Sports)

Saturday 8 May

12:30 Leeds v Spurs (BT Sport)
15:00 Sheffield Utd v Crystal Palace (Sky Sports)
17:30 Man City v Chelsea (Sky Sports)
20:15 Liverpool v Southampton (Sky Sports)

Sunday 9 May

12:00 Wolves v Brighton (BBC)
14:05 Aston Villa v Man Utd (Sky Sports)
16:30 West Ham v Everton (Sky Sports)
19:00 Arsenal v West Brom (BT Sport)

Monday 10 May

20:00 Fulham v Burnley (Sky Sports)