Jump to content
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

Recommended Posts

The 2020-21 Premier League season will start on 12 September and finish on 23 May.

The current campaign will end on Sunday after it was suspended for three months because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Premier League said it would "continue to consult" with the Football Association and English Football League (EFL) "regarding the scheduling of all domestic competitions".

The start date for teams still in Europe is under discussion. 

It remains possible they will be given a delayed start, given they could be playing well into August.

Last-16 ties in the Europa League - featuring Manchester United and Wolves - resume on 5 August, with the final scheduled to take place on 21 August.

Remaining Champions League last-16 ties resume from 7 August, with Manchester City and Chelsea still in the competition.

The final will take place on 23 August

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finishes day after my birthday which never happens. Hope it's a good away day somewhere and it'll be a double celebration with us winning the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, so there will be a 6 week break before the season starts? Interesting. I guess European qualifiers will start before then though?

 

Usually the start of the season is filled with excitement and anticipation, but I think it will feel very different this time round. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shailen said:

We'll be top at christmas

I think we’ll be closer to bottom. That’s not outrageous doom mongering, I just think we won’t be able to add to our squad in a way we would have hoped pre covid. We’ll have extra games and we look really leggy currently, it’s not as if the players are going to come back completely rejuvenated like they would over a regular preseason.

 

We’ll be better than our current form because we have so many missing but I think mid table and possibly lower mid table is more realistic next season, all things considered.

Edited by Stadt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I think we’ll be closer to bottom. That’s not outrageous doom mongering, I just think we won’t be able to add to our squad in a way we would have hoped pre covid. We’ll have extra games and we look really leggy currently, it’s not as if the players are going to come back completely rejuvenated like they would over a regular preseason.

 

We’ll be better than our current form because we have so many missing but I think mid table and possibly lower mid table is more realistic next season, all things considered.

I think confidence is low and if we don't get champions league, we'll either reflect and come back stronger next season or it'll be a downwards spiral. I personally think we have enough leaders in the squad who will get the lads going again and will be hurt if we do blow CL. We have shown the quality but not the consistency this season, hopefully we'll show both next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shailen said:

I think confidence is low and if we don't get champions league, we'll either reflect and come back stronger next season or it'll be a downwards spiral. I personally think we have enough leaders in the squad who will get the lads going again and will be hurt if we do blow CL. We have shown the quality but not the consistency this season, hopefully we'll show both next season. 

The only negative of the europa league I have is when I think of how Burnley struggled and ended up in a relegation battle. They did have more qualifying games tho I suppose. Don’t think that will happen to us as our squad is better than there’s was but it’s something that could harm us the Thursday night situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

The only negative of the europa league I have is when I think of how Burnley struggled and ended up in a relegation battle. They did have more qualifying games tho I suppose. Don’t think that will happen to us as our squad is better than there’s was but it’s something that could harm us the Thursday night situation. 

I've never understood why europa league is any different to champions league. You play Thurs and Sunday rather than Wednesday and Saturday. Maybe it's because clubs like Burnley don't have the squad depth to manage both competitions - a bit like us in 16/17. 

 

I think we'll face this issue regardless as we're guaranteed European football next year and we need to add 3/4 players to the squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rodgers will be sacked in October.

 

Dyche comes in and we finish top four.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Guest said:

They were out of it by the end of August. I think they struggled because they're shit, not because they were in the Europa League

There is that as well haha

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is frankly ludicrous. I’d scrap all of the cups and just play out the domestic seasons. This will then roll into a euro’s which will then roll into the 2021/2022 season. After that will be the first chance to get a proper pre-season. I know things can’t just stop, but they really need to think carefully here. For one season surely they can stop all of the cups, and just focus on the league? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We could quite easily be bottom 3

****ing hell lol Cheer up Ric 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We won't be in a relegation battle. Putting this out there while we're still on page 1 so I can come back to this at Christmas.

Edited by Fox92
missed a word
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...