Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Oxfordfox83

MOTD Thread 2020/21

Lineker's attepmts at humour can do down like a lead balloon but he's gotten a lot better as time has gone on.  He's pretty fair to every team. Even on BT Sports when showing Champions League he'd be respectful to every team when Rio and Mcmanaman are bigging up their former clubs for example.

Not so keen on Walker myself but I do rate Chapman. He's like the Championship Lineker doing MOTD 2 for so long but there's a lot worse in media work than him.

I'm guessing we agreed with whatever was said about us last night as we don't seem to be raging at Jenas today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

Hate the little woke ba$tard. Always finding something to complain about. Always remember Brendan bollocking him on a tv documentary. 

He's just too self centered for my liking. 

Posting about golden toilets after embarrassing the nation at a major tournament is one thing. Acting indignant like he should be beyond scrutiny and criticism is quite the other. 

16 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

He's just too self centered for my liking. 

Posting about golden toilets after embarrassing the nation at a major tournament is one thing. Acting indignant like he should be beyond scrutiny and criticism is quite the other. 

What gives you the impression he thinks he should be beyond scrutiny?

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

What gives you the impression he thinks he should be beyond scrutiny?

The fact that he managed to be indignant that people felt it inappropriate he was boasting about his 'Big Daddy Rangy' the day after being booted out of the Euros? 

The fact he, again, thought he should be able to show off a tattoo of an AK47 and not have people question whether that sends the right message to the inner city youths for whom he acts as a role model for (a role he is happy to occupy). 

With power comes responsibility doesn't it? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

You see that's an awful line of argument. I read the Guardian regularly. 

You've gone for a personal attack when it is absolutely not necessary. 

You asked why I thought him self centered and beyond criticism and I gave you my answers. You are now trying to make this am issue of race in an insidious, pernicious way. When I provided genuine examples of Sterling being a bit of a twat instead of having a critical eye you just made some suggestive dog-whistle remark. 

This is NOT an issue of race fueled by a newspaper. This is because I think the bloke is a bit of dick who doesn't accept he's in the wrong. Shame on you. 

I think you've gone to an extreme. Why so defensive?

Nothing like a personal attack at all. Don't make this out to be worse than it actually is.

You say he 'showed off' a tattoo of a gun when he's meant to be setting an example to 'inner city youths'. I'm pretty sure the picture taken of him which caused so much faux uproar was when he was just in training and he had his socks down low. I very much doubt it was so that he could intentionally get photographed like so and then get a load of shite in the press after. You overestimate his negative attitude in all of it, I would say. Why does it make him a twat having a tattoo as a way of remembering his father? If I remember correctly he said at the time it was his vow never to touch a gun after his father was shot when Sterling was younger. Oh my, how self-centred and a twat he must be! 

It's not a 'genuine' example at all. It's your opinion of it which makes you think it's a genuine example and now you've gone all hyperbolic in your justification for your thoughts.

I don't even remember the Ranger Rover thing after the Euros but that was 2 and a bit years ago. Maybe let it go with it being so long ago :thumbup:. If that's the only thing he's done to make you dislike him I suggest you not let it get to you so much, just a suggestion. Nothing personal.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I think you've gone to an extreme. Why so defensive?

Nothing like a personal attack at all. Don't make this out to be worse than it actually is.

You say he 'showed off' a tattoo of a gun when he's meant to be setting an example to 'inner city youths'. I'm pretty sure the picture taken of him which caused so much faux uproar was when he was just in training and he had his socks down low. I very much doubt it was so that he could intentionally get photographed like so and then get a load of shite in the press after. You overestimate his negative attitude in all of it, I would say. Why does it make him a twat having a tattoo as a way of remembering his father? If I remember correctly he said at the time it was his vow never to touch a gun after his father was shot when Sterling was younger. Oh my, how self-centred and a twat he must be! 

It's not a 'genuine' example at all. It's your opinion of it which makes you think it's a genuine example and now you've gone all hyperbolic in your justification for your thoughts.

I don't even remember the Ranger Rover thing after the Euros but that was 2 and a bit years ago. Maybe let it go with it being so long ago :thumbup:. If that's the only thing he's done to make you dislike him I suggest you not let it get to you so much, just a suggestion. Nothing personal.

You know exactly what you were suggesting with that Daily Mail comment. 

It's not the nature of his reasoning behind the tattoo - though for the record I think that was just a cynical excuse to evade further criticism...that's an opinion - it's his reason to criticism of it. 

He's entitled to tattoo himself with the murder weapon of his father. But he made a very big point of displaying that to the press on the eve of the World Cup. He then acted indignant in the face of criticism. 

Regardless of the intent behind his bizarre need to celebrate his tattoo it just stank off self centeredness. He put himself in the limelight, and I'm sure he did so willingly, then acted as if the nature of the media shouldn't apply to him. 

Edited by foxile5
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Can't do with Dan Walker personally - very clunky when he attempts humour. Chapman's decent,  but I imagine Jermaine Jenas is nailed on for the gig when Gary retires. 

Jenas is probably the worst pundit on the MOTD, only equaled by Martin 'spot the bleeding obvious' Keown.

14 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

You know exactly what you were suggesting with that Daily Mail comment. 

It's not the nature of his reasoning behind the tattoo - though for the record I think that was just a cynical excuse to evade further criticism...that's an opinion - it's his reason to criticism of it. 

He's entitled to tattoo himself with the murder weapon of his father. But he made a very big point of displaying that to the press on the eve of the World Cup. He then acted indignant in the face of criticism. 

Regardless of the intent behind his bizarre need to celebrate his tattoo it just stank off self centeredness. He put himself in the limelight, and I'm sure he did so willingly, then acted as if the nature of the media shouldn't apply to him. 

Tattoo was spotted during a training session where in the warm weather he pulled his socks down?!?

12 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Tattoo was spotted during a training session where in the warm weather he pulled his socks down?!?

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I've already tried that. Didn't get absorbed. 

The image was distributed intentionally by Sterling on his Instagram. 

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

The image was distributed intentionally by Sterling on his Instagram. 

How do you know it was intentional to provoke? 

The Instagram post in question literally makes no reference to it. That photo will have been taken by the FA and then gone through media teams etc 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

8 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Well if, as Stan suggests, it's after the tabloids have printed it then it's bound to be intentionally shared isn't it? 

Likely to been the same photo taken by the same photographer. Allowed by the FA’s press team and later on Sterling’s management team. 

39 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Jenas is probably the worst pundit on the MOTD, only equaled by Martin 'spot the bleeding obvious' Keown.

He certainly gets a fair bit of stick on here. Something to do with the Nottingham background maybe. And the Spurs thing. Predictable I guess. 

Quite like him meself...

2 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Lineker's attepmts at humour can do down like a lead balloon but he's gotten a lot better as time has gone on.

One of his best moments was a good few years ago very early in his anchor man role. Can’t remember  the exact time or competition ..think it was Euros and he was fronting BBCs lunchtime coverage ....His opening words were today I am joined in the studio by what most professional footballers can’t do..........his guests were Peter Reid and Ian Wright 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Stoopid said:

He certainly gets a fair bit of stick on here. Something to do with the Nottingham background maybe. And the Spurs thing. Predictable I guess. 

Quite like him meself...

I know we get use to bias from Gary but i believe Jenas has a genuine hatred of Leicester and way we tried to put Harvey Barnes in the transfer window was the last straw for me. i just fast forward when he speaks on MOTD as i don't believe he can offer any genuine insight at all.

10 hours ago, irishfoxkev said:

One of his best moments was a good few years ago very early in his anchor man role. Can’t remember  the exact time or competition ..think it was Euros and he was fronting BBCs lunchtime coverage ....His opening words were today I am joined in the studio by what most professional footballers can’t do..........his guests were Peter Reid and Ian Wright 

Lineker has to be the best presenter by far. His FA cup swipes at Alan Shearer, his quick wit and how he brings everyone together. The fact that he presented MOTD in his pants and actually went through with it when we won the title, is that sort of banter that you need.