Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Oxfordfox83

MOTD Thread 2020/21

15 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's definitely gotten worse in recent years. Sky in particular are appalling.

I think it may have reached a nadir this weekend when Martin Keown complained about Arteta speaking to players in their native language, as though he's ignoring the local lads when he clearly speaks perfect English.

8 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I've been thinking about this recently, and it's absolutely true. Not only is it true, it's reinforcing my disengagement with the sport. On MOTD itself, I've genuinely not watched any of the punditry for years now. I remember watching it incessantly when we first got back to the PL, but dropped off a cliff. I am genuinely surprised people still put themselves through the torture of mediocre punditry.

Sky/BT is pretty much the same. I can only assume it's a strategic decision to just drop all pretence and now go all-in on championing the big teams? From putting biased club men on co-comms, letting Tyler become more opinionated than ever and dreadful (also having Darren Fletcher as your lead commentator, BT, seriously?) Tabloid pundits they can snip clips from for the internet views.

I'm still deep into football podcasts, so many of them, but there's not an ex-player in sight and I actually learn something. If I actually decide to watch a match in full these days, it really is tune in at a couple of mins before, disengage during HT and then tune out at FT. Watch the 3-minute clips on Sky's YouTube channel for the games and (other than being exposed to it on Twitter through my own idiocy) you can very easily keep yourself away from the crap served up now.

I feel the same way and I don't really watch any of these programmes analysis, I happen to catch bits every now and then unintentionally, I likewise learn a lot more from podcasts rather than Sky and their agenda driven nonsense. The thing is Sky actually have genuinely good people to listen to on there - I do rate both Neville & Carragher although both are very guilty of the bias I talk of when it comes to their own team, though I think make up for it with enough insight and they aren't outright disrespectful to anyone outside of their super six.

BT are so pro-Liverpool it's scary. I've never known such blatant bias towards one team on any station. You would think Jimmy Liddel was commentating on their games. It's not even just on the games, their general social media content you see them lapping up Liverpool for absolutely anything.

I shouldn't be bothered but I do think there's a knock-on effect, it subconsciously reinforces ideas into peoples heads and I'm not a fan at all.

The bias towards England players in commentary as well is ****ing staggering. Did anyone see the clip a few weeks ago when Rashford scuffed a pass to Martial and the commentator legitimately tried to blame Martial's positioning lol it does my head in.

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

I think it may have reached a nadir this weekend when Martin Keown complained about Arteta speaking to players in their native language, as though he's ignoring the local lads when he clearly speaks perfect English.

I weirdly don't think Keown is one of the worst although that's definitely embarrassing as well. Keown's a bit dull but does speak sense occasionally.

Neville and Carragher are good pundits (commentators not so much) but because they are so ingrained in one club each they are played off against each other. It's Man United v Liverpool and all that. Sky get the clips and the gifs and then social media goes wild.

On 14/09/2020 at 16:52, Nod.E said:

Manchester City and Spurs are both recent entries into the so-called 'big 6', aren't they? Once you accept that you have to agree it's subject to flux. I mean, of course it is. Teams generally will improve or get worse over time. There exists scope for teams and fanbases to grow. So why the need to focus in on a certain group of teams, seemingly in an actual effort to establish this group?

The bit that gets me every time is when they refer to the "traditional" top 6 when the actual top 6 regularly had us, Wolves, Sheff Utd in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

The bit that gets me every time is when they refer to the "traditional" top 6 when the actual top 6 regularly had us, Wolves, Sheff Utd in.

And what is the “traditional” top 6?

When I started watching football Chelsea and Man City weren’t in it. There was a top 5 and Everton were in it. 

I really find the obsession from pundits with this narrative boring. 

Edited by Jobyfox

On 16/09/2020 at 09:58, Jobyfox said:

And what is the “traditional” top 6?

When I started watching football Chelsea and Man City weren’t in it. There was a top 5 and Everton were in it. 

I really find the obsession from pundits with this narrative boring. 

I do agree that it’s not a fascinating construct, but it’s a thing we all know about, as does any football fan in the country.

I find it more boring that every time the ‘Big 6’ is mentioned, someone on here feels the need to highlight that it’s new/not a thing/statistically irrelevant/doesn’t include someone they think it should. :yawn:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

I do agree that it’s not a fascinating construct, but it’s a thing we all know about, as does any football fan in the country.

I find it more boring that every time the ‘Big 6’ is mentioned, someone on here feels the need to highlight that it’s new/not a thing/statistically irrelevant/doesn’t include someone they think it should. :yawn:

I don’t mind it as long as it isn’t in the absence of any other informed insight. 

Too often it is. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

I’m glad Mark Chapman called Pep out on his pathetic comments  about us not wanting to play

2 minutes ago, trabuch said:

I like Mark Chapman, he seems a very sound bloke.

If you see Peps comments in real time I think this is really a question of language. I don't think he was criticising, just saying that we didn't come out to play toe to toe

3 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

I’m glad Mark Chapman called Pep out on his pathetic comments  about us not wanting to play

We really didn’t try to play for the first twenty odd minutes - I think brendan thought we could draw their energy with that back 5  and then we could take it up a notch ........ and he was right ! 

• Like 1

Highlights only really showed our goals. Pity they didn't balance out our other efforts in the same proportion as Man City's. Made it look as though it was a pretty even contest, when in reality we were very comfortable, apart from the first 20 minutes.

Edited by MGLCFC
  • Like 1

Pep is embarrassing. Making it out like we played like Burnley with 11 men behind the ball and lumping long balls forward. We were miles better than City in every department today and some of the football we played was magnificent. Yes we got men behind the ball when we were defending but does he just expect us to roll over and let them score? The only thing more embarrassing than losing 5-2 at home is being an utter bell end in your interview and slating the opposition rather than praising them for a really good performance. Yes we counter attacked at times but the play on the middle with Tielemans and Mendy was fantastic at times. City will not have a team play as well against them all season