Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

18 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Agree. 
As I’ve stated before imo he’s reached his limit with us. He won’t get a better job elsewhere. Top sides will look at his record in Europe and will look for better options. Whether that’s right or wrong only time will tell but it will help us in the long run. 

Its all about opinions so....B.S...!!!

Hes been here Two seasons, still young...So potential still high...

Why so much Determination to Kick Somebody down..:dunno:

17 hours ago, inckley fox said:

Nobody can cast serious doubt on the manager. Our limited resources and injuries, set against how brilliantly we've done so far, mean we should be very positive about the job Rodgers has done.

But it's a stretch to exempt him from criticism too. Injuries are going to be the story of the rest of this season. They'll get worse - not only for us, but for plenty of others. Whether or not we truly move on from the collapse of early 2020 will depend on how we perform in the current climate. If the aim is to do better than we did last year, then we're going to have to overcome these disadvantages, and performances like today's - while understandable - can only be looked at two ways: either it's not good enough, or it's indicative of an eventual, inevitable decline because a side with our resources simply isn't good enough to compete. And if we buy into the second of those two narratives, we may as well pack up and go home now.

It's worth pointing out that we played another team today who have had a packed schedule, and who didn't have several top players in their line-up. Yes, we all know about their greater resources, but that's exactly the sort of advantage we're battling against. If we want to supplant Arsenal or Spurs in the Big 6 it'll have to be done with inferior resources, and - like last year- with injuries which do us a great deal more harm than theirs do to them.

As I see it, we have to concentrate on what we can affect, rather than what we can't. The Thomas-Albrighton switch had nothing to do with fitness, and really didn't need to wait until half time. If you were going to lump for Iheanacho, was it really necessary to also field the 34 year-old, injured Vardy alongside him for yet another pointless and debilitating 90 minutes? Couldn't we have acted on Barnes when, by the manager's own admission, he felt niggles in a pre-existing cartilage injury in the first half? I'm sure there's a good case for the defence in all of these points, but it seemed to me that Brendan got stuff wrong today, just as he did over the two legs with Slavia.

But that doesn't mean he isn't a fine manager. All fine managers have moments like this. I remember the shame when, as League Cup holders, our mostly first choice eleven were brutally rearranged by the mighty Grimsby. Rodgers will have to reflect on his decisions over the past week. And all of these excuses - as reasonable as they are - are going to have to be forgotten if we're to have a good season from this point on.

Vardy..total presumption,!!! He could of scored...

Thomas-Albrigjton...One goes with an idea, then makes changes...Doesn't make the initial thought wrong...

10 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Don't you think it's possible they'll look at his record with Leicester and say 'wow, if he can do that there...'?

Happily, he's just described what he does as 'the best job in the world' - I'd like to think he means specifically about Leicester, but if one of the big guns came calling, who knows.

Which reminds me of McGhee, leaving for Wolves because they were supposedly massive. Which in turn reminds me of the great universities gag in Blackadder...

😂 I love blackadder. 
I’m still not convinced. Top sides go abroad for coaches. Look at Pep and Klopp. 
It will depend how we finish this season. 
If we drop out of the top 4 and don’t win the fa cup clubs will see him as a bottler. 
If we win the fa cup and finish top 4 he’ll be considered for top jobs. Same if we win the fa cup and finish outside top 4.
I’m not criticising him just see us finishing 5th and not getting past Utd in the cup. If and it’s a big if that happens it will be 2 seasons on the trot we’ve been in the top 4 for majority of the seasons and bottled it. I do realise this season with injuries has been really difficult for us but I still look back on last season and dropping a 14 point lead. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

😂 I love blackadder. 
I’m still not convinced. Top sides go abroad for coaches. Look at Pep and Klopp. 
If we drop out of the top 4 and don’t win the fa cup clubs will see him as a bottler. 
If we win the fa cup and finish top 4 he’ll be considered for top jobs. Same if we win the fa cup and finish outside top 4.
I’m not criticising him just see us finishing 5th and not getting past Utd in the cup. If and it’s a big if that happens it will be 2 seasons on the trot we’ve been in the top 4 for majority of the seasons and bottled it. I do realise this season with injuries has been really difficult for us but I still look back on last season and dropping a 14 point lead. 

Does Scotland count as "abroad"?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

😂 I love blackadder. 

I don't see any of it as being about bottle, myself, but I realise I differ to most on this.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I don't see any of it as being about bottle, myself, but I realise I differ to most on this.

Not me. He's definitely not a bottler. It's just that there are several immature FT posters who don't have the years of following us under various managers. Imagine what they would have said about the likes of Mark McGee.

• Like 1

On 28/02/2021 at 15:40, dayday said:

So you’re telling me we was fatigued from the start, not having it 

Slavia rested 7 the game before, Arsenal played their expensive bench players.

I think managing fatigue is a factor for all the top sides.

So he is a bottler if he doesn't win the FA Cup and/or finish in the top 4 this season, with all the injuries and extra games we've played without any signings in January... Not to mention the clubs we are up against and the 100s of millions they have spent on their squads. 

What's that phrase that used to knock about on here?  Oh yes... Delusions of grandeur! 

Guess I'll get labelled with being unambitious and celebrating failure now lol

• Like 3

Just now, STUHILL said:

So he is a bottler if he doesn't win the FA Cup and/or finish in the top 4 this season, with all the injuries and extra games we've played without any signings in January... Not to mention the clubs we are up against and the 100s of millions they have spent on their squads. 

What's that phrase that used to knock about on here?  Oh yes... Delusions of grandeur! 

Guess I'll get labelled with being unambitious and celebrating failure now lol

Apologist!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 28/02/2021 at 16:37, Larry_LCFC said:

I don't want rid. I want him to guide us through this rocky patch like the professional manager that he is. 

Dropping out of the top 4 for two consecutive seasons in the final few games would rightly have to raise some questions of whether he can take this squad any further.

Being in the top 4 for most of his time here suggests he can.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Not me. He's definitely not a bottler. It's just that there are several immature FT posters who don't have the years of following us under various managers. Imagine what they would have said about the likes of Mark McGee.

Last season we fell away and Rodgers also fell away at Liverpool. The Liverpool one was probably worse but it still happened which is where the "bottler" stuff comes from. If people take the piss out of Spurs for "bottling" then they wanna look closer to home now.

People always like to refer back to "imagine when xxx was manager" but we can't live with that attitude otherwise we'll never move on.

I like Rodgers, think he's done superb here, but I will criticize him as much as I praise him. Last two performances haven't been good enough so I'll say it. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Parafox said:

...I believe the same thing that was said about McGee  then, would still have been said today!!!

Not too sure what the length of support has to do with it. As supporters their are always irrational views espoused, it is the nature of the game and being a supporter.

Just now, Fox92 said:

I like Rodgers, think he's done superb here, but I will criticize him as much as I praise him. Last two performances haven't been good enough so I'll say it. 

Totally fine, but does that make them anything to do with bottle? I think not, personally.

• Like 1

Just now, Fox92 said:

Last season we fell away and Rodgers also fell away at Liverpool. The Liverpool one was probably worse but it still happened which is where the "bottler" stuff comes from. If people take the piss out of Spurs for "bottling" then they wanna look closer to home now.

People always like to refer back to "imagine when xxx was manager" but we can't live with that attitude otherwise we'll never move on.

I can't disagree with most of that but the term "bottler" implies cowardice and I do not for one minute think that BR is a coward.

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Totally fine, but does that make them anything to do with bottle? I think not, personally.

No, not those two performances.

But if we drop out of top 4, again, then I'd question our bottle or mentality because it's over the course of a season. Same as last season. It shouldn't have happened. On the other hand we are not as strong as Man Utd/Man City/Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal but I get hammered for saying that also.

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

I can't disagree with most of that but the term "bottler" implies cowardice and I do not for one minute think that BR is a coward.

I don't think he's a coward. As above, mentality is probably the better word to use.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Sick of hear this fell away crap about Rodgers and the title at Liverpool, he won 12 of the last 14 games......................

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

No, not those two performances.

But if we drop out of top 4, again, then I'd question our bottle or mentality because it's over the course of a season. Same as last season. It shouldn't have happened. On the other hand we are not as strong as Man Utd/Man City/Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal but I get hammered for saying that also.

I don't think he's a coward. As above, mentality is probably the better word to use.

Totally fair enough, but I still won't - injuries and massively outgunned resources (and last season, inexperience) are not matters of bottle for me. But it's perfectly ok to differ.

• Like 2

Just now, coolhandfox said:

Sick of hear this fell away crap about Rodgers and the title at Liverpool, he won 12 of the last 14 games......................

They were top of the league all season. Did they win the league? No.

• Sad 1

Just now, Corky said:

They weren't, I think they were 5th at New Year. They went on a storming run.

And you're right. Storming run all year! It was those two games that fvcked it, particularly the Palace one being 3 up and drawing 3-3.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

WTF do people expect of us FFS. 

I am not talking about us! I've literally just said we are not as strong as Arsenal.

I'm talking about being in a position for so long.

But if I say I don't think we're as good as Arsenal I'd get slated for that also.

Edited by Fox92
  • Sad 1