Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Ranieri is the GOAT. Rodgers will surpass O'Neill if he wins the FA Cup and gets us top 4/6 again. 

I appreciate all things has to be considered - budget, quality of players inherited, league position when arrived etc. Its hard to judge manages against each other but surely Ranieri is the greatest.

Ranieri had a brilliant season.  It was a perfect storm   Pearson's foundation,  the arrival of Fuchs, Kante and Okazaki.  He got the best out of the players.  The following season also needs factoring in.

Much as Ranieri's one full season was our best ever, I find it hard to see him as our best ever manager.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cecchini1976 said:

Well I like this manager that fails so often. If failure is competing with the top 6 then I will take that everyday. Especially on the budget Leicester have compared to most in the division. 

As stated in previous posts. The original OP was that he’s never failed. All I’m saying is that in those games he did. I’m not saying sack him because of this. He’s done a superb job since being here but as a fan you can criticise a manager and it doesn’t mean I want him sacked straight away. 

6 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

By that measure surely Pearson is the greatest manager in our history and we should just forget anyone else and get him back? After all he did improve us by the most league positions

I am swayed by your argument.  Pearson must be the GOAT.  

I am tempted to think he is above Ranieri yet Ranieri won the top flight.  MON won trophies.  I hope Rodgers is on his way to consideration.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

As stated in previous posts. The original OP was that he’s never failed. All I’m saying is that in those games he did. I’m not saying sack him because of this. He’s done a superb job since being here but as a fan you can criticise a manager and it doesn’t mean I want him sacked straight away. 

Ok, I take that point, and the one you made in response to me. Perhaps we're just arguing over semantics (not for the first time, but language is important to me), but I think mistakes along the way aren't failures - otherwise you'd have to argue that most managers fail most of the time. It's just a horribly loaded, absolute term.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Disagree. 
He’s got an awful lot right since being here. But he failed in the league cup semi against Villa last season. After beating them 4-1 and 4-0 in the league. Also against Chelsea in quarter final fa cup last season. Slavia Prague this season although injuries should be considered. 14 points clear in the top 4 and we bottled it last season. We have improved significantly under him but to say he hasn’t failed is wrong. Unfortunately in the must win games especially cup matches he fails. 

We had over 43 shots over the two legs to their 12, they shit housed it, sometimes lady luck isn't on your side.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2

We'll miss him when he's gone and we drop back down to competing for positions 7 to 12 in the league.

Can we not just appreciate the great work he's doing? For the last 2 seasons we've been competing at the top end of the table which for years has been an exclusive club and here we are little old Leicester (and yes we are little in comparison) right in the mix of it.

This is easily the best squad and team I've seen in over 35 years of being a city fan so I'm guessing those complaining can remember betters times from the 60's or are just entitled nitwits.

9 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I think the fact you think he has failed and don’t want him sacked straight away suggests to me that you think he should have done more with the tools he has available? 

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I take the point that you're making but if you look at an initial squad of 15 of:

Schmeichel, Ricardo, Fofana, Evans, Soyuncu, Castagne, Tielemans, Ndidi, Barnes, Maddison, Praet, Vardy, Justin, Albrighton, Iheanacho. 

I look at that as being comparable or better than most when every player in the league is actually fit outside of Manchester City and Liverpool. Are there many we'd swap with the opposition?

Even Ward, Mendy, Thomas, Perez and Under aren't exactly poor for adding to that. Rodgers has inherited a very good 'squad' of players and I don't think we should underate what he has available to him compared to the majority of the opposition. Clearly he could do with perhaps 3 quality extras but most other teams need even more. 

Just snuck Albrighton in there for a laugh?

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

OK, perhaps we need to define squad as 'first team squad' so we're all talking about the same thing. Of whom currently (from the 15 names you mentioned) Ricardo is not yet himself, Fofana is raw, Evans is not peak Evans, Barnes, Justin and Praet are currently unavailable, Vardy is definitely not peak Vardy, and so on. We don't mention Mendy in such a positive way, have you learnt nothing?!?!? :whistle:

😂 Personally I like Mendy and think he plays a particular part and that's subjective I know, but he also wouldn't make my first 11. I'm also talking in fairness about when all of our players are fit and that of opposition teams also. It is in that respect that I rate our team in the way that I did.

Rodgers is an excellent coach and a good manager, just in my opinion. I fail to see that any manager that has never won anything can actually  be afforded the buzz title of elite manager.

In general he's doing a very good all round job here but like all of us, he's not without fault and it's opinion, not sacrilege, that people occasionally voice opinion against certain decisions that he makes. He is after all just a manager and not the Messiah.

His debacle of team selection and use of players, who appeared disorganised and confused against Burnley was there for all to see. Burnley had just been beaten 4 nil by Spurs using wingers and width, they didn't do it by playing 8 defensive players, some being round pegs in square holes, as if they were playing against a rampant Manchester City.

Today it's against a 3 points off relegation Brighton. If he sets up against them the same way as Burnley then that will say a lot about him. If you can't show some ambition against teams like Burnley, Brighton and Fulham, who can you show it against.

You'll rarely win anything if you don't go out to try and win. If you want to be a top 4 side you have to act and play like one. Brighton also have injuries and they are where they are for a reason. We have enough available decent players available today to not be over cautious and negative against such a team. I think and hope he sets up differently today.

4 minutes ago, Cecchini1976 said:

I think the fact you think he has failed and don’t want him sacked straight away suggests to me that you think he should have done more with the tools he has available? 

😂😂😂😂

All I’m saying is imo he failed in the games I mentioned. Overall he obviously hasn’t been a failure. He’s been a huge success. It really isn’t that difficult to understand. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, volpeazzurro said:

😂 Personally I like Mendy and think he plays a particular part and that's subjective I know, but he also wouldn't make my first 11. I'm also talking in fairness about when all of our players are fit and that of opposition teams also. It is in that respect that I rate our team in the way that I did.

Rodgers is an excellent coach and a good manager, just in my opinion. I fail to see that any manager that has never won anything can actually  be afforded the buzz title of elite manager.

In general he's doing a very good all round job here but like all of us, he's not without fault and it's opinion, not sacrilege, that people occasionally voice opinion against certain decisions that he makes. He is after all just a manager and not the Messiah.

I'll just answer this bit so we don't drift into the pre-match thread. I'm not bothered about calling him elite or any such nonsense - just as I'm not interested in club size etc. He's absolutely not without fault, I totally agree with you. I'm just really not into the word 'failure' in regard to what he does.

As for the comment about Mendy, it was meant as a joke at the expense of his greatest fan, and I presume you know who I mean.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Just snuck Albrighton in there for a laugh?

Not really, yet again he's proved a lot of his detractors wrong this season. If you're expecting a Marhez performance out of him you'd always be disappointed. He offers something quite different but the effort he puts in invariably takes it's toll if he's asked to play 3 games in quick succession for example. There's a reason our last four managers keep picking him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'll just answer this bit so we don't drift into the pre-match thread. I'm not bothered about calling him elite or any such nonsense - just as I'm not interested in club size etc. He's absolutely not without fault, I totally agree with you. I'm just really not into the word 'failure' in regard to what he does.

As for the comment about Mendy, it was meant as a joke at the expense of his greatest fan, and I presume you know who I mean.

I think think we're probably singing from the same book to be honest. I absolutely agree that he's not a failure, there are so many areas in which I think he's done an absolutely fantastic job. I would also go as far as to say I don't see anyone better out there that's likely to knock on our door either.

As for Mendy, for a second I thought it was you who always had the downer on him, my apologies, I think I've just remembered who 😅

7 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Not really, yet again he's proved a lot of his detractors wrong this season. If you're expecting a Marhez performance out of him you'd always be disappointed. He offers something quite different but the effort he puts in invariably takes it's toll if he's asked to play 3 games in quick succession for example. There's a reason our last four managers keep picking him.

Rubbish. He’d get absolutely no where the teams around us. Why have you left out Mendy and Amartey then? They do jobs for us. 

rodgers would rather play Amartey at full back and Ricardo at RW over Albrighton!!! 

Edited by OhYesNdidi

I think think we're probably singing from the same book to be honest. I absolutely agree that he's not a failure, there are so many areas in which I think he's done an absolutely fantastic job. I would also go as far as to say I don't see anyone better out there that's likely to knock on our door either.

As for Mendy, for a second I thought it was you who always had the downer on him, my apologies, I think I've just remembered who 😅

That's perfectly ok - I was slightly amused because you happened to agree with one of his essays further up this thread. :)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I’ve said it countless times before but I’ll say it again. Brendan Rodgers is a decent manager but he’s not a great one unless he wins us a trophy and/or gets us top 4.

Our squad is not punching, we are as good as anyone bar Man City and far better than a majority.

We are certainly not ‘punching’ like everyone seems to think. If we finish 5-7th then BR has failed and we have failed, it’s as simple as that.

I like Brendan and I’ve not once wanted him gone, but it would be a failure and there’s no getting away from that.

I saw something on YouTube discussing Brendan and they actually say it pretty much how I see it. He’s a good manager but he’s not a top manager and ultimately bottles it.
Blame injuries, Blame ‘were still developing’, blame Stevie g slipping but there’s a pattern he needs to prove before he can be talked as a better than decent manager and that’s to see a job through until the final day.

Failure would be not qualifying for Europe. Success would be a cup and/or top 4. 5th or 6th would be fairly decent but nothing more given the consistency of the last 2 seasons being pretty much top 4-6 the whole way through. 

Let's not get too entitled though, he's taken this squad of players and improved them quite considerably and we could improve our points total of last season by several and actually finish lower in the league whilst navigating Europe with a huge injury list and that in itself should put to bed any consideration of a failure. 

He's not a world class manager, not yet anyway. He needs to win something here and qualify for the top 4 once or twice and thst will put him up there. We are doing pretty well under him and the way we have shrugged off last seasons capitulation and quickly learnt a new system to cope with this unusual season is what has impressed me. Rodgers has been labelled an inflexible manager in his approach and yet this season he's clearly ripped up his principles and shown he is willing to be pragmatic and scruffy in the short term, that should be acknowledged as a plus and as a result we haven't been outside the top 4 all season once again which for a team that was on its arse and showed relegation form for a 3rd of the previous season is testament to the progression in their mental resolve.

Huge final part of the season for us and for Rodgers.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I said he has never failed, yes but it was also in the context of a full seasons goals and expectations and I stand by that. 

You took that and applied it to every game we've ever played under Rodgers and In that respect, there is no manager in the world who that applies to. They've all lost a game they should have won. 

The conversation up to that point was surrounding his success with cup and league positions and thats not only what I was CLEARLY talking about but if you quoted my full post instead of taking an extract you would see that I go on to explain what it was I meant by that exactly. 

3 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Rubbish. He’d get absolutely no where the teams around us. Why have you left out Mendy and Amartey then? They do jobs for us. 

rodgers would rather play Amartey at full back and Ricardo at RW over Albrighton!!! 

I think you'll find that I mentioned Mendy further down as I firstly just mentioned an initial match day squad as an example. I personally rate Mendy. Armarty also has imo proved to be a useful centre half when we've been down to bare bones in that position. My overall point is that I rate our squad highly when compared with most others. 

As for Ricardo on the right wing it's not for me personally but I can absolutely understand why Rodgers tried him there with Castagne. I don't think that was meant as a slight on Albrighton however who had played a number of games. He merely wanted something different. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

That's perfectly ok - I was slightly amused because you happened to agree with one of his essays further up this thread. :)

Can't remember which one now. Sometimes a 'like' can refer to just some bits. Sometimes I agree with some parts of what people say but not all them. Sometimes I get tired and emotional after a match and write drivel 😂😂

Can't remember which one now. Sometimes a 'like' can refer to just some bits. Sometimes I agree with some parts of what people say but not all them. Sometimes I get tired and emotional after a match and write drivel 😂😂

This fellow is consistent, and also likes writing in the middle of the night.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I take the point that you're making but if you look at an initial squad of 15 of:

Schmeichel, Ricardo, Fofana, Evans, Soyuncu, Castagne, Tielemans, Ndidi, Barnes, Maddison, Praet, Vardy, Justin, Albrighton, Iheanacho. 

I look at that as being comparable or better than most when every player in the league is actually fit outside of Manchester City and Liverpool. Are there many we'd swap with the opposition?

Even Ward, Mendy, Thomas, Perez and Under aren't exactly poor for adding to that. Rodgers has inherited a very good 'squad' of players and I don't think we should underate what he has available to him compared to the majority of the opposition. Clearly he could do with perhaps 3 quality extras but most other teams need even more. 

Plenty of those players have been signed under him or improved during his time. We had no idea how Barnes or Justin would turn out (and still had their detractors earlier this season), even Soyuncu was fairly unknown in our team.

He inherited Vardy, Ricardo, Schmeichel, Evans, Ndidi and Maddison as proven quality players still with us. Albrighton and Iheanacho aren't hugely rated on here. Tielemans was only a loan signing and no guarantees he'd stay. He's created a much better squad than the one he took over.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Rodger's success rate at Club is 51.5%. Not even the so-called great, Pearson, achieved that in either spell here.

It's a very good record and he's also, on paper, probably got one of the best squads of players we've ever had to do it with. I don't mean that in any way to detract from his record but the two go hand in hand. Whether he'd have achieved what Pearson did with his squad at that time we'll never know. Personally, I think it needed a Pearson. 

2 minutes ago, Corky said:

Plenty of those players have been signed under him or improved during his time. We had no idea how Barnes or Justin would turn out (and still had their detractors earlier this season), even Soyuncu was fairly unknown in our team.

He inherited Vardy, Ricardo, Schmeichel, Evans, Ndidi and Maddison as proven quality players still with us. Albrighton and Iheanacho aren't hugely rated on here. Tielemans was only a loan signing and no guarantees he'd stay. He's created a much better squad than the one he took over.

I don't disagree, I think he's done a tremendous job with our players, particularly the younger ones. I thought Tielemans comments recently in interview were particularly pertinent and positive when he said that he'd helped him both as a player and a man. Don't think you could say much better than that and it eludes to good personal relationships.