Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
worth_the_wait

Football Specials - the good old days

Guest Markyblue

Cheap way to travel, but looking back the state of the trains were disgusting,  but being young and stupid you really didn't care, they were filled with hundreds and hundreds of young people,  the travelling fans nowadays would go nowhere near them.

12 minutes ago, Stadt said:

It’d be nice if they ran for difficult fo get to away days or games that have been moved for TV on Friday or Mondays. I looked at trains for Norwich away and I think the last train back was before kick off.

There was talk of one for Norwich but it never materialised.

Not sure if it was a designated football special but I remember after a match at Scunthorpe we were bussed from the ground to a station outside the town (Althorpe I think) and caught a train from there. Seemed a sensible way of getting people together and out of the area.

For a few years Stoke fans had a football special train from Leicester after matches before they were relegated.

Guest Markyblue
13 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

They might've got you to a ground in one piece not always on the way back as those that went to Stoke City in '74 will testify. 

There were plenty of bad experiences in the mid 70s, changed near the end of the 70s and 80s as we took greater numbers away. 

Living near Market Harborough i remember the cup final specials coming through when a northern team made the final. The trains went on the old mkt. Harboro to Northampton line even after it had closed to passenger travel as it went all the way to Wembley station. Remembering seeing Leeds fans coming back after being beaten by Sunderland in 1973. Happy days

• Like 3

Went on one for the ZDS Semi v Notts County.Had the old coaches with radiators on and everyone was trying to dry out next to one.Also one up to Liverpool,met at Lime Street with busses with perspex windows!Any one remember the holding pen at nottingham station,Felt like a pig pen with spikes on the top of the fences.Happy times;)

• Like 1

I've been lucky enough to experience two in Germany over the past few years and there's definitely a huge case for them to be brought back here, especially with how ridiculous kick-off times cause issues these days.

They're a great space where hundreds of fans can bond, lads who would be thought of as a nuisance on ordinary service trains can let off some steam (especially, if is the case on the ones I've been on to Munich with Bochum, there's a bar/disco carriage as part of the train) and it provides a safe and affordable way for fans to get to games. Better for the environment too.

Will try and dig some pics out of the ones I've been on. Would absolutely love to do something similar with Leicester one day! Imagine how much better it would make a pain of an awayday like Southampton or Swansea.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

They're a great space where hundreds of fans can bond, lads who would be thought of as a nuisance on ordinary service trains can let off some steam (especially, if is the case on the ones I've been on to Munich with Bochum, there's a bar/disco carriage as part of the train) and it provides a safe and affordable way for fans to get to games. Better for the environment too.

That's reminiscent of the "LeagueLiner" that BR introduced in the early 70's.   It was an attempt to keep the fans entertained, instead of smashing up the train.  

I don't think the idea lasted very long, but interestingly we did get a taste of it for the last match in the 1972-73 season.   The LeagueLiner was used for our away match at Liverpool, who had just won the League.   I wouldn't have thought we took many that day, but it would be interesting if anyone was on that train, or knew anyone who was.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

That's reminiscent of the "LeagueLiner" that BR introduced in the early 70's.   It was an attempt to keep the fans entertained, instead of smashing up the train.  

I don't think the idea lasted very long, but interestingly we did get a taste of it for the last match in the 1972-73 season.   The LeagueLiner was used for our away match at Liverpool, who had just won the League.   I wouldn't have thought we took many that day, but it would be interesting if anyone was on that train, or knew anyone who was.

Think there's a famous pic of Shilton in his disco gear on that train?

The carriages look a bit posher than the ones I've been on mind! Was quite old stock with separate compartments, but again that was good for less rowdy fans who just wanted to travel and chill out with their mates/families.

Found a couple from the most recent one I went on, last away game of the 16-17 season at 1860 Munich. Sixteen-hour return journey!

Zug.jpg.3d5f99999918e8105c959093d09992e3.jpg

zug 1.jpg

Edited by Voll Blau

20 hours ago, Stadt said:

It’d be nice if they ran for difficult fo get to away days or games that have been moved for TV on Friday or Mondays. I looked at trains for Norwich away and I think the last train back was before kick off.

It would be good, but with a few rare exceptions, it just doesn't seem to occur to the rail companies to put them on.

In fairness, it's a lot harder than it use to be.   Back in the 70/80's, league matches were pretty much fixed months in advance, giving them plenty of time to sort things out.   There were loads of empty coaches lying all over the place, so it was easy to find the rolling stock to put on special trains.    And the rail network wasn't as busy, so it was easier to shedule extra trains in.   

I suppose the main killer was privatisation, as rail companies are now only interested in running regular trains in their regions.   And they also only lease out the minimum number of trains, so they don't tend to have many spare trains lying around waiting to be used.

They might just about think about one where it falls within their area eg the Derby v Leicester match a few years ago was easy for EMT to stick a train on..   But anything with the slightest complexity seems beyond them.

Last season, I Emailed EMT and Cross Country asking them if there was any chance of putting on a special train to Witton, for the 2nd leg of the Aston Villa League Cup tie.   They said that they don't run trains to Witton ... it's not one of their stations.  Yes, I realised that.   The clue was in the phrase "special train".     Mind you, even running an extra late train back from Birmingham New Street would've done the trick.  But no, Cross Country hadn't thought of that either.    I wasn't expecting any joy, but no harm in trying!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Last season, I Emailed EMT and Cross Country asking them if there was any chance of putting on a special train to Witton, for the 2nd leg of the Aston Villa League Cup tie.   They said that they don't run trains to Witton ... it's not one of their stations.  Yes, I realised that.   The clue was in the phrase "special train".     Mind you, even running an extra late train back from Birmingham New Street would've done the trick.  But no, Cross Country hadn't thought of that either.    I wasn't expecting any joy, but no harm in trying!

A mate of mine enquired a few years ago about the cost of chartering a train to Newcastle and back. EMT came back to him with a quote (think it was something like £6,000) and asked him what is was for. They turned him down flat when he replied saying it would be for football. Such a shame the rail companies can't see the bigger picture.

21 hours ago, Spudulike said:

They might've got you to a ground in one piece not always on the way back as those that went to Stoke City in '74 will testify. 

I was on that train. Stoke fans bricked the windows as the train was pulling out of Stoke. Scary for this young lad!

Still have some of the tickets issued, 1/4" thick stubbies with the prices on them. Stoke away 50p, Sheffield Utd 70p, Leeds & St. Pancras 90p & the really expensive Newcastle away (5 hour journey on the special) an eye watering £1.80

The carriages used for the specials which at the time were very dated are now used for tourists on many steam railway lines.

The tracing paper loo roll was always nicked to throw  onto the pitch when we scored.

Guest Markyblue

Definitely had a special to witton at villa, man utd used to be Warwick road, went on a special to Leeds and we had to walk to the ground because bus company was fed up with the buses being bricked on the way to the ground. 

4 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

lads who would be thought of as a nuisance on ordinary service trains can let off some steam

Tbh that sentence alone is why I can't ever really see it happening again en masse in this country. 

I read that sentence and I just hear "dickheads wrecking shit" and I AM a football fan. If you're some government health and safety exec, a chief of police or the CEO of a railway you're going to have nightmares about "lads letting off some steam" on your train. 

I know you've got some utopian vision where it's just you and your mates and the only antisocial thing you do is sing a bit loudly, leave a few beer cans in the aisle and piss on the toilet seat but you're in massive denial if you think that's all it would be. 

There's so many willy pullers in this country. I mean, christ, the state of the city centres on Saturday at 10. THAT is who'd be on your football specials. 

• Like 1