Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Florian Thauvin

Leicester City target Florian Thauvin could reportedly be available on a free transfer next summer if he refuses to sign a new contract with current club Marseille.

The Foxes were linked with Thauvin in the summer after he found his form back in France, following a disappointing spell in England with Newcastle.

According to the Leicester Mercury, Thauvin will be free to speak with Leicester in January about a move if he continues to put off a contract extension with Marseille.

The 27-year-old is contracted until June 2021, which means he would be allowed to talk to Leicester earlier than that under the Bosman ruling.

Marseille are understandably desperate to keep the Frenchman at the club. Sporting Director Pablo Longoria recently said that he doesn’t want to lose the important player and that everyone at the club should try their best to keep him.

Thauvin has enjoyed an impressive start to the season after rediscovering his form in France. He’s scored three and assisted four in his first seven Ligue 1 appearances this campaign.

That’s a marked difference from his time with Newcastle. While in the North East, Thauvin managed just one goal in 16 games and failed to break into the first team.

He spent one whole season at Newcastle before Marseille agreed to re-sign him for just £9.8 million.

Back in 2018, the French side put a £70 million price tag on Thauvin during the height of his form. But now it looks like the player may be able to engineer a return to the Premier League, if he aims to prove the English fans wrong.

A free transfer to Leicester could mark a clever deal for both parties. Leicester would have a new, exciting winger at their perusal that isn’t even past his best – he’s still only 27. Meanwhile, Thauvin would get the chance to show that he can do it in the Prem. He could form a strong partnership with the likes of James Maddison, Jamie Vardy and Harvey Barnes.

https://www.football365.com/news/leicester-target-florian-thauvin-free-transfer-next-summer-marseille

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

If we qualify for Europe again next season I'd like us to go for this, especially if Gray and Perez are going... 

I’m excited ...... is Perez going as well?!? :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, st albans fox said:

how do we do a deal in January based on european qualification in may ???

Sorry read it as sign him on a free in summer. 

Either way he'd be a good signing and add good quality to a position that requires it :)

“According to the Leicester Mercury, Thauvin will be free to speak with Leicester in January about a move if he continues to put off a contract extension with Marseille”

And according to the rules of contracts he will be free to speak to any club he wants to in January also... bit of hope on our part and lazy journalism from the Mercury based on a thin link over lockdown/summer.

But hey would certainly swap his wages for Gray’s 👍 

• Like 1

Do people think he's got a lot better since he played for Newcastle then? I don't really know much of him and Newcastle over the last few years probably hasn't been the greatest place for a creative player to thrive but you've surely got to interrogate how suited he is to our league.

On a free it's obviously appealing for someone with those numbers but he'll obviously be able to command a slightly higher wage than he would've otherwise because of that.

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Another assist today, offer him 100k a week to come here and a £5m signing on fee.

I think he’ll want a bit more than 5m (to include his agent)

problem with trying to sign him is that because he isn’t an international, I doubt we will get him through the new post brexit rules (unless he has indefinite leave to live here from when he was at Newcastle)

55 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think he’ll want a bit more than 5m (to include his agent)

problem with trying to sign him is that because he isn’t an international, I doubt we will get him through the new post brexit rules (unless he has indefinite leave to live here from when he was at Newcastle)

What are the new post brexit rules for footballers?

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Dingy from Calais to Dover and ‘Bobs your uncle’ - you’re in - no probs. Priti Patel will then give the player a Visa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Currently being negotiated between the FA and the premier league 

from what I read today only the high quality european players will be allowed to come in (which will reflect transfer fee or international status) 

15 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Currently being negotiated between the FA and the premier league 

from what I read today only the high quality european players will be allowed to come in (which will reflect transfer fee or international status) 

Yes, established international is what is being pushed. The FA want a quota for English players introduced.