Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Florian Thauvin

6 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Currently being negotiated between the FA and the premier league 

from what I read today only the high quality european players will be allowed to come in (which will reflect transfer fee or international status) 

I'd find that very hard to believe, the PL is a huge revenue source for our country and tightening the rules to the detriment of it will be hugely unlikely.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd find that very hard to believe, the PL is a huge revenue source for our country and tightening the rules to the detriment of it will be hugely unlikely.

the idea being that if a player can’t get into their international side then they can’t be any good!  that there should be a U.K. option rather than the european purchase  ( or ROW for that matter) .   It’s the FA, not the govt although I reckon the govt have allowed the FA to deal with the problem ........ for the time being .......

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

the idea being that if a player can’t get into their international side then they can’t be any good!  that there should be a U.K. option rather than the european purchase  ( or ROW for that matter) .   It’s the FA, not the govt although I reckon the govt have allowed the FA to deal with the problem ........ for the time being .......

Highly subjective though, Laporte is billed as one of the best defenders in Europe but has never played for the senior France side yet. I think whilst English football brings in the obscene amount of revenue that the government will bend over any way they can to keep the money coming in.

20 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Currently being negotiated between the FA and the premier league 

from what I read today only the high quality european players will be allowed to come in (which will reflect transfer fee or international status) 

Am I missing something here? Thauvin has a World Cup winners medal and has been capped by France at all levels. Surely that qualifies him? 

The only way I think he would miss out is that he hasn't been in any recent squads as he was out basically all of last season

5 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

Am I missing something here? Thauvin has a World Cup winners medal and has been capped by France at all levels. Surely that qualifies him? 

The only way I think he would miss out is that he hasn't been in any recent squads as he was out basically all of last season

This  - otherwise roberto Carlos would qualify ! 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

This  - otherwise roberto Carlos would qualify ! 

Haha true, either way I think if we wanted Thauvin it would surely be fine. Seems a bizarre to me a 28 year old world cup winner who is one of the stars of another top European league doesn't hit that criteria. 

• 3 weeks later...

£28M price tag.

From Pianeta Milan.

"It is true that the start of the season was not easy for him, who faced the preparation not at his best, but Paolo Maldini is starting to ask himself questions, especially in light of the opportunities that exist. Castillejo could in fact leave in January if an offer of at least 13 million arrives. Florian Thauvin could arrive in place of the 1995 Spanish class, whom Milan is following closely. The Frenchman born in 1993 has an expiring contract with Marseille, but he does not make discounts and asks for at least 32 million. That is why, given the expiry of the contract, an exchange is not even to be excluded: Castillejo plus 19 million for the Frenchman. An idea for now, but Milan insists on Thauvin and Castillejo is not convincing ..."

59 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Haha he can agree to join a foreign team for free come January, they haven't got a chance. They might get someone offer €10m if they are desperate but the player will likely receive less in a signing on fee as a result, better he stays put and gets one last huge pay day in the EPL.

This was my thoughts exactly. If Under can kick on, would we need him? 

5 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

Yeah but crackingly huge wage bill as well. So I doubt it without outgoings.

Our wage/turnover ratio is quite high but we’ll be shifting Slimani and Morgan next summer. Most likely Gray and Fuchs as well 

Thauvin is the closest thing we've been regularly linked with to a winger who can put up Mahrez numbers in terms of goals and assists imo. Barring his injury last season, he's done it for 3 straight years in France and has started the season well again this year. Definitely not to be judged on his Newcastle spell - on top of the additional creativity and goal threat he'd bring, we'd also be almost guaranteed at least one moment at St James' Park where he plays out of his skin and scores and the Geordies hate it.

If we can use his contract situation to our advantage and bring him in on a cut price deal - not a chance Marseille get £28m with 6 months left on his deal - then I think that's a really smart piece of business. Barnes, Under, Thauvin and Albrighton is a quality crop of wide players that between them offer everything. We'd also have the likes of Maddison, Perez and Praet who have shown they can fill in in those spots in a 4-1-4-1 or a 3-4-3 formation too. 

4 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Morgan will eventually be moving into a non-playing role which essentially means we can pay him whatever we want and it doesn't affect the finances iirc. 

Well, it will, because it will be an overall operating expense, but also I’m sure when he moved to a non-playing role, he won’t be on a player’s wage (that would be madness) 

14 hours ago, nnickn said:

surely we are above Geordie rejects now?

Really? That’s a little naive. Hull reject, qpr reject, total gambles on unknown players like mahrez kante etc. It’s when we buy big we struggle. Thauvin stats have been unreal since he left Newcastle (who at the time were playing negative football) and he’s really kicked on to be an outstanding player for them. Was he also not part of the World Cup winning squad? 

• Like 1