Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Florian Thauvin

On 13/11/2020 at 10:15, volpeazzurro said:

I suppose with Under, by the summer, we'll have seen whether he's actually good enough to buy or not. He's also of an age to have improvement in him and potential big sell on value. At this point in time he's low risk.

Thauvin on the other hand, however good he has been more recently in France following injury (a potential issue), he was still very poor here previously and if I remember rightly, a big part of that was his lack of physicality. He of course may have improved in that department or he might just not be suited to our type of game like Perez questionably isn't. Either way it's a risk and no sell on value due to age with potentially high wages. Thus far, Under is showing signs that under Rodgers tutelage, he will make the grade. We don't need both I feel as there are other priorities. 

A big part of it was he played in a horrendous Newcastle side that had barely any positive individual performances. It's a no brainer if he'd come here on a free, would be incredible business and if he didn't settle we'd easily sell back to France to cover his wages.

8 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Bit unfair to say he was very poor here when he played the equivalent of just over 6 games in his time at Newcastle under Steve McLaren in a Newcastle side that got relegated

He played just 420 minutes (4.6 games) in the Prem that season, 38 minutes in the FA Cup, and 110 minutes in the League Cup

He was also being mainly played as a Left Winger, when he has clearly shown in his time at Marseille that he is strongest as a Right Winger

From what I remember, he wasn't getting into the team not through injury but that he wasn't considered good enough for a place in the starting 11. If he was that good even the dunderhead McCartney would have picked him.

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

A big part of it was he played in a horrendous Newcastle side that had barely any positive individual performances. It's a no brainer if he'd come here on a free, would be incredible business and if he didn't settle we'd easily sell back to France to cover his wages.

Yes I accept your point re their side at the time. Allegedly they're currently asking 28m for him which for me is a no no. Free transfer in the summer a different matter though the wages he'd command and receive here may be a bit more difficult to swallow there.

Having said all that my main submission is that with other priorities, we don't need both him and Under and with the latter, we have the luxury of the rest of the season to evaluate him. IF he turns out to be the real deal then I'd say because he'd be proven, younger with scope for improvement, he'd perhaps be the better option. If not, Thauvin is a very good option.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yes I accept your point re their side at the time. Allegedly they're currently asking 28m for him which for me is a no no. Free transfer in the summer a different matter though the wages he'd command and receive here may be a bit more difficult to swallow there.

Having said all that my main submission is that with other priorities, we don't need both him and Under and with the latter, we have the luxury of the rest of the season to evaluate him. IF he turns out to be the real deal then I'd say because he'd be proven, younger with scope for improvement, he'd perhaps be the better option. If not, Thauvin is a very good option.

If we are to continue playing in Europe and try and win league or game cup we would need two quality right wingers. Man City have Mahrez/Torres and even bernardo silva who play on the right. We could keep them both happy I think 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lesta2014 said:

If we are to continue playing in Europe and try and win league or game cup we would need two quality right wingers. Man City have Mahrez/Torres and even bernardo silva who play on the right. We could keep them both happy I think 

And they have a lot more money to burn than us. We have to be realistic and not chase or pander for everything foreign or shiny like kids in a sweet shop. If you have a look at how much money our owners have actually spent in the last few years having taken off the money from the annual sale of one of our better players, then you'll get a more realistic view of how much we have to play with compared to some teams like Man City etc. That's not in any way a criticism of our owners because I think it's a wise sustainable way to go. 

Now, having looked at that and our current playing staff, plus the potential signing of Under, if we wanted to keep our better players for Europe and not sell yet another one,  if we accept that we have only a certain amount of money to spend, do you think wise to use it up on yet another winger or perhaps another striker? Vardy can't play every game in every  competition and could even get injured at any time. You can't rely on any amount of wingers to replace his goals. We also need to consider Vardy's successor now. Iheanacho it isn't that  successor for all his improvement and Perez is a dead duck in comparison, though you may be able to raise a little more revenue from the sale of the latter.

For me it's about realistically available money and priorities. We already have cover if needed and in Ricardo, Castagne, Justin and Thomas excellent wing backs should that option be preferred. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

And they have a lot more money to burn than us. We have to be realistic and not chase or pander for everything foreign or shiny like kids in a sweet shop. If you have a look at how much money our owners have actually spent in the last few years having taken off the money from the annual sale of one of our better players, then you'll get a more realistic view of how much we have to play with compared to some teams like Man City etc. That's not in any way a criticism of our owners because I think it's a wise sustainable way to go. 

Now, having looked at that and our current playing staff, plus the potential signing of Under, if we wanted to keep our better players for Europe and not sell yet another one,  if we accept that we have only a certain amount of money to spend, do you think wise to use it up on yet another winger or perhaps another striker? Vardy can't play every game in every  competition and could even get injured at any time. You can't rely on any amount of wingers to replace his goals. We also need to consider Vardy's successor now. Iheanacho it isn't that  successor for all his improvement and Perez is a dead duck in comparison, though you may be able to raise a little more revenue from the sale of the latter.

For me it's about realistically available money and priorities. We already have cover if needed and in Ricardo, Castagne, Justin and Thomas excellent wing backs should that option be preferred. 

Fully agree on the vardy point, a striker would be my first choice signing in January/summer

• Like 1

9 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

We absolutely need a striker but Thauvin on a free would make sense, even if we sign Under. Our wage bill will be slashed in the summer when we finally get rid of Slimani and Gray so wages for Thauvin wouldn't be too much of an issue so long as hes not wanting a fortune, which I doubt he would. Of course there is a signing on fee to pay as well but dependent on where we finish this season, we could end up selling a key player like we have every season in order to fund new signings. I think the only way we keep everyone is if we make the champions league. We will probably need a left back in the summer as well once Fuchs leaves and potentially a centre back if we dont see Benkovic as being good enough. 

11 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

From what I remember, he wasn't getting into the team not through injury but that he wasn't considered good enough for a place in the starting 11. If he was that good even the dunderhead McCartney would have picked him.

Gnabry wasn't good enough for Tony Pulis... just saying

43 minutes ago, Heymister2015 said:

Jovic on loan in January with a fee agreed for the summer if all goes well and Thauvin on a free in the summer. Promote Tavares and that’s it!! We don’t need mass amounts of players and we’re heading towards breaking transfer records and buying one a year after that!! 

I agree we don’t need to add that much, you’re suggestions are smart and realistic I think.

What class striker is going to come here and be happy to be 2nd choice? It would also slip Iheanacho down to 3rd choice, unless we're selling him? The only striker we're gonna get without selling him is a young one with a lot of potential, but he won't be ready to lead the line for 2 or 3 years.

I think the only time we sign a class striker is when we as a club and Vardy himself decide that he can only play 1 game a week, which seems at least 18 months or so away.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

What class striker is going to come here and be happy to be 2nd choice? It would also slip Iheanacho down to 3rd choice, unless we're selling him? The only striker we're gonna get without selling him is a young one with a lot of potential, but he won't be ready to lead the line for 2 or 3 years.

I think the only time we sign a class striker is when we as a club and Vardy himself decide that he can only play 1 game a week, which seems at least 18 months or so away.

We couldn't afford a ready made class striker, everyone wants one and they're like rocking horse  ....!

Yes, we'll get an up and coming no doubt or one that has for an unknown reason not quite made the grade elsewhere. Even Iheanacho cost 25m some time ago now. Jovic sounds the type but, as you point out, he's not perhaps going to want to exchange one bench for another though we should be able to offer a bit more stability. The jury seems out on Edouard. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 3

We need something in January to lift the group and push them on to the finish. Teams are more open start of the season and start to defend deep and change managers come December/new year. We need that freshness to push the team onto greatness. Signing crap like Ryan Bennett if anything had the opposite effect on the group. 

Edited by Heymister2015

30 minutes ago, Heymister2015 said:

We need something in January to lift the group and push them on to the finish. Teams are more open start of the season and start to defend deep and change managers come December/new year. We need that freshness to push the team onto greatness. Signing crap like Ryan Bennett if anything had the opposite effect on the group. 

...the team do not require a mental boost at this present time!!!

We would like a forward but it would be unwise to seek to purchase in the January window in respect of price and obviously availability. 

We have not as yet got started or established a rhythm which marks out this team and there is so much more to come from this squad or potential  appears at this moment, to be endless.

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...the team do not require a mental boost at this present time!!!

We would like a forward but it would be unwise to seek to purchase in the January window in respect of price and obviously availability. 

We have not as yet got started or established a rhythm which marks out this team and there is so much more to come from this squad or potential  appears at this moment, to be endless.

We’ve only signed one attacking player in the summer and changed formation. When formations get worked out and the drag of winter hits the team as per usual it needs that freshness. Prime example was last season! As soon as Maddison is out injured or one winger and we’re back to using Perez on the wing or vardy gets injured, we’re screwed!! Another suggestion would be Christian Eriksen on loan. He’d take anything after a nightmare spell in Milan. 

1 minute ago, Heymister2015 said:

We’ve only signed one attacking player in the summer and changed formation. When formations get worked out and the drag of winter hits the team as per usual it needs that freshness. Prime example was last season! As soon as Maddison is out injured or one winger and we’re back to using Perez on the wing or vardy gets injured, we’re screwed!! Another suggestion would be Christian Eriksen on loan. He’d take anything after a nightmare spell in Milan. 

..formation changed due to necessity!!!

At present there are now an endless amount of formations available to Rodgers when the injuries are cleared up. Using Perez upfront or Nacho is an option and makes us more interchangeable  upfront we are not limited to only one way of playing.

Eriksen would not want to come here (personally I wouldn't want him) we were willing to pay over the odds for him and he was never ever considering coming here.

Madders struggles to get into the first team at the moment due to formation, Eriksen would be in the same boat, we have enough to cover that area. We can't keep throwing money around we are looking like a well balanced team and squad and their is a feel of something special happening all over again.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, frany104 said:

I actually think we need him. We need another winger to compete with Barnes and Under. Albringhton hasn’t been good enough for a few seasons now and we need some more attacking threat. We can’t keep relying on Barnes and Vardy. 

And despite the two assist, Under has been eponymously-whelming by and large. 
Hoping to see him at or close to his best tomorrow.