Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Covid Vaccine

Covid Vaccine  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have the vaccine if it was made available?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Many of us will be right at the back of the queue so any problems will have come to the fore before we can get it.

Will have to wait for the results of the trial but I don't see there being much risk with it. I have faith in the knowledge-holders and processes to assess safety and efficacy.

Might cause a few unpleasant side effects for a couple of days but if that's the price to return to normality then its worth it.

• Like 3

So with a sample size of about 50 so far we're  looking at between 70 to 75% of people

would be happy to have it. I'll keep an eye on those numbers mind...

Does anyone know what percentage of a population need to get the vaccine for it to work? I'd imagine the more people vaccinated, the quicker it would go away, but surely even if only half of the population got vaccinated would that not halve the R rate?

Going forward, as long as that falls below 1 it should sort itself out eventually? 

Or is the maths not that simple?

15 minutes ago, Collymore said:

So with a sample size of about 50 so far we're  looking at between 70 to 75% of people

would be happy to have it. I'll keep an eye on those numbers mind...

Does anyone know what percentage of a population need to get the vaccine for it to work? I'd imagine the more people vaccinated, the quicker it would go away, but surely even if only half of the population got vaccinated would that not halve the R rate?

Going forward, as long as that falls below 1 it should sort itself out eventually? 

Or is the maths not that simple?

The numbers banded about at the start when herd immunity was mentioned was 60% so I would assume a vaccine would be similar numbers. 

Edited by howlinmadmurfdoc

13 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Innocent question that I cannot be arsed to Google because it will throw up a lot of bollocks - have vaccinations ever actually caused any real problems?

Generally no, any adverse side effects are usually picked up during testing and trial phases. Those that do usually just gain mild symptoms due to the immune response. 

There was a "study" by Andrew Wakefield where he chose and picked specific twins to "prove" the MMR vaccine caused autism. Which is where some of the anti-vaxx comes from. That study was retracted by every publishing body and i believe he's been stripped of any ability to practise medicine and his degrees nulled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Generally no, any adverse side effects are usually picked up during testing and trial phases. Those that do usually just gain mild symptoms due to the immune response. 

There was a "study" by Andrew Wakefield where he chose and picked specific twins to "prove" the MMR vaccine caused autism. Which is where some of the anti-vaxx comes from. That study was retracted by every publishing body and i believe he's been stripped of any ability to practise medicine and his degrees nulled.

Oh yes. Coming from a family where the Daily Mail was omnipresent, I know all about his "research".

Unfortunately, he still finds it easy to get an audience, in the US especially

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

I worry that as soon as one (or a few) deaths occur after the vaccine it'll just bring out the anti-vaxxers and oxygen-wasters, being totally counter-productive to the efforts to eradicate it. I really hope the vaccine is successful. 

It seems even the mere (and incorrect) thought of this is enough to put some people off. No vaccine that causes deaths is ever going to released for mass use. What the hell do people think all the testing is for, if it isn't to find out a) is it safe, and b) does it work?