Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fox in the sox

Remembering wins at the 'big 6'.

19 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

Very welcome to ask👍

No I don't come from Leicester. 

Not sure why people refer to them as that but I'm pretty sure most fans would think of City as Manchester City. 

I live in Bedford, which is a bit of a London overspill and the usual plastics. 

But, down here Leicester are known as Leicester, Norwich are Norwich, Birmingham are Birmingham, Stoke are Stoke etc. 

If I said City in a pub etc, people would think of Man City. 

When people say United, I'm pretty sure not many people think of Newcastle, Sheffield or Leeds. 

Utd would be Manchester in most people's minds. 

Not saying its right, but that's what most would think. 

Wednesday and Forest are more unique, I guess. 

Maybe we should have gone for Fosse whilst we had a chance. 

Like you, I'm an old fart and have been coming up from here for about 45 years with my dad,on my own and with my wife and kids. 

It's Mark BTW (daughter logged me on this forum😄

Up The Citeh💙

Thanks Mark (or Holly :D). You sound to be in a very similar position to me. I drive up from North Somerset and any mention of City around these parts means the Bristol variety. Some of them are quite sensitive about it and refer to them as simply Manchester (both red and blue). When I'm in their company I refer to us as Leicester but never call them City (always the full Bristol City or just Bristol if I want to wind them up lol). 

In my case I'm born and raised Leicester from a big LCFC supporting family. It's always about the City to us and I think we'd still be calling them City even if the vote went for Fosse (I think I've still got my 'F' voting card). 

I think the media have a lot to do with it. My mate is a big MCFC fan who talks about City and its a constant battle. I always win though :thumbup:

27 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Thanks Mark (or Holly :D). You sound to be in a very similar position to me. I drive up from North Somerset and any mention of City around these parts means the Bristol variety. Some of them are quite sensitive about it and refer to them as simply Manchester (both red and blue). When I'm in their company I refer to us as Leicester but never call them City (always the full Bristol City or just Bristol if I want to wind them up lol). 

In my case I'm born and raised Leicester from a big LCFC supporting family. It's always about the City to us and I think we'd still be calling them City even if the vote went for Fosse (I think I've still got my 'F' voting card). 

I think the media have a lot to do with it. My mate is a big MCFC fan who talks about City and its a constant battle. I always win though :thumbup:

Cheers for the reply, lovely part of the country you're in👍

Could having a nickname of The Citizens have anything to do with it as they haven't always been the rich, powerful club they are now with huge media coverage, although well followed over the years? 

Leicester - Foxes

Norwich - Canaries 

Birmingham - blues

Stoke - Potters 

Many clubs are known for their nickname rather than their name, Rentboys for Chelsea as an example around here😄

Even your local lot are the Robins and not really City (from the outside anyway) 

A few years back, Bolton were probably Wanderers, probably Wolves now

Who are Rovers these days? 🤔

Anyone else remember the 2-1 FA Cup win at Spurs in 14/15? A mate of mine who had a Spurs membership at the time but is actually a Man U fan, got tickets for the 2 of us in the Shelf stand. I remember there was this arrogant prat behind who was full of predictions of them winning 6-0 before the game. Tbf we were bottom of the PL at the time! It all seemed to be going to form when Moore gave away a soft pen early on but we actually played brilliantly and were the better team for most of the game. It looked like we were destined to lose, though, until with just under 10 to go we finally took one of our many chances, thanks to Ulloa. My 'mate' behind was apoplectic! To make it even better, good old Jeff popped up with a scrambled winner in the 94th minute after a blunder from Vorm. Cue complete scenes from the 4k Leicester fans behind the goal and full gloat mode from me in the Shelf! I turned round to smile at my "mate" behind but unfortunately I only saw his back as he rushed off for the exit!!  On the way out of the ground after the match, it was a pleasure to see Bernie giving it large in celebration! A good day out!

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

Only ever seen one away win at a ''Big Six'' ground. Liverpool 1 Leicester 2 in 1981 and we went down that season.

We had 5 seasons in the First Division in the 80s and I'd be surprised if we won more than 10 away games against anyone in all that time. It was an awful period to be a travelling Leicester supporter. Even grounds like Coventry, Forest, West Ham, Newcastle, Sheff Wed were absolute graveyards for us. And the home form wasn't much better either.

20 hours ago, Bert said:

Anfield. 

2-0 win. Cottee & big Phil Gilchrist with the goals. Also fondly remember winning 2-1 there a few seasons before. Elliott & Fenton. No away fans allowed. 

3 years running winning at Anfield! 
Cant think why I missed the Cottrell/Gilchrist win but I was there for the 1-0 (Marshall) and 2-1 (Elliott & Fenton - in the ‘home’ seats).

My then girlfriend had £2 on us and won about £25 - can’t recall whether on the result or first scorer!

15 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Our record away to big 6 has been pretty dire but has improved fantastically this season, maybe helped by the lack of fans.

We have only won 5(Spurs 15/16 Man City Twice 15/16 20/21, Chelsea 18/19, now Arsenal).

Back in O neils time we had a fantastic record at Man City Spurs and Liverpool. Although it was really a big 2 then and we were absolutely awful at Highbury and OT.

We really need to improve at OT now only really. Anfield no one wins at and we used to win (3 times in a row between 1997-2000), but Old Trafford seems an anomaly.

Man Utd have been awful and we’ve been at our very best , yet we’ve still lost 10 out of our last 11 at OT(drawing the other) and 19 of our last 23 games vs them(1/3/19) , the only win which of course was a complete mental one!

Let alone winning, We’ve not even been leading at old Trafford at any point In any game since Beckham bent home an equaliser in 1998.

1 draw 10 losses - 7 of which we lost to 0, the other 3 we lost scoring only a consolation at 4-0 , 3-0 and 2-0 respectively with the only exception being Morgan 1-1 in 2016.

We have also never scored more than 1 at OT in this time and have an aggregate of

11 games played - 4 scored 22 conceded.

Shocking really!

Not shocking really . Isn't this true statistics for most sides against Man united at old Trafford? 

14 hours ago, jonthefox said:

Yeah me too. I was convinced we were going to win after that. Also, i remember meeting three girls from Bermuda*.

They had flown into heathrow the night before, travelled to Leicester and got on the shitty Ausden Clark bus at 6am. I remember thinking how big this thing had become. 

* One of them looked like Rhianna :wub:

How did they get tickets ?:blink:

41 minutes ago, ceredigion said:

Only ever seen one away win at a ''Big Six'' ground. Liverpool 1 Leicester 2 in 1981 and we went down that season.

We had 5 seasons in the First Division in the 80s and I'd be surprised if we won more than 10 away games against anyone in all that time. It was an awful period to be a travelling Leicester supporter. Even grounds like Coventry, Forest, West Ham, Newcastle, Sheff Wed were absolute graveyards for us. And the home form wasn't much better either.

Include Exeter City on that list where I was 3 days before on that depressing night. 

3 hours ago, Staff said:

We got caught in traffic and heard a cheer jogging upto the ground, turns out we had just missed us going 1-0 up

Same here, had 5 live on, had to park in something like gate G, that was a right trek to the ground.

Then trying to get a drink at half time was a nightmare with the queues, missed bloody Mahrez’s goal

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

That is niche stuff - completely forgotten that. I did see Colin Hill bag in front of about 10,000 of us at the other end once - 1993 perhaps?

I’m thinking of Chelsea, I got mixed up. I do remember the Colin Hill goal though. Did we lose 5-1? I remember their fans thinking it was hilarious how hard we celebrated that goal when the game was buried.

3 hours ago, Hollyfox said:

Pretty sure Cottee scored at the Stretford end when we won 1-0

Been wrong many times before though😄

I'm also pretty sure Mike Whitlow's scrambled equaliser in the 1-1 draw at Old Trafford in 1994/95 (see link below) was at the Stretford End. Unless my memory is failing me.

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/history/matches/?mid=813&ct=1603887752

6 hours ago, TRAD-DAD said:

Not shocking really . Isn't this true statistics for most sides against Man united at old Trafford? 

I don’t think many teams have a record of 0/1/10 in their last 11 visits and to never be actually leading at any point in any game in that time is very poor.

5 hours ago, Strokes said:

Didn’t DJ Campbell get 2 in the stretford end when we lost 4-3 in the league cup?

That was Stamford Bridge not Old Trafford.

6 hours ago, Hollyfox said:

Pretty sure Cottee scored at the Stretford end when we won 1-0

Been wrong many times before though😄

Your correct. He also scored again at the Stretford again in 98/99 to put us 2-0 up before Becks killed us. The stat is since that goal, only 4 goals in 11 games and not 1 in front of the Stretford end in 11 tries 😮.

• Like 1