Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fox in the sox

Remembering wins at the 'big 6'.

Guest bss9401

1981. Liverpool 1 Us 2. 1984. Liverpool 1 Us 2. I attended them both as a teenager. 1981 was a really big deal then.

As good as it got in those years.

41 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I was one of the lucky ones.

I live in the north west and went with a pal who's a Man C season ticket holder. We sat in his seats, more or less in line with the penalty area where Huth scored in the second minute.

Of course, when they scored I feared the worst, and Simmo had a 'moment' in about the 86th minute which almost finished me off!

I came home on the train with an idiot grin on my face, basking in the conversation of local Man C supporting passengers. They were, without exception, magnanimous in defeat 'lost to the better side' 'best way performance here in years' etc, and there were lots of 'hope they go on to win it now' type comments. From their viewpoint, it was anyone but United. Or Arsenal, or Spurs.

I watched it twice more that evening!

I was also there, sat amongst the home support with my best friend who is, fortunately, a Manchester City supporter. 

Trying to suppress the joy as the goals went in was incredibly difficult.

• Like 1

Our record away to big 6 has been pretty dire but has improved fantastically this season, maybe helped by the lack of fans.

We have only won 5(Spurs 15/16 Man City Twice 15/16 20/21, Chelsea 18/19, now Arsenal).

Back in O neils time we had a fantastic record at Man City Spurs and Liverpool. Although it was really a big 2 then and we were absolutely awful at Highbury and OT.

We really need to improve at OT now only really. Anfield no one wins at and we used to win (3 times in a row between 1997-2000), but Old Trafford seems an anomaly.

Man Utd have been awful and we’ve been at our very best , yet we’ve still lost 10 out of our last 11 at OT(drawing the other) and 19 of our last 23 games vs them(1/3/19) , the only win which of course was a complete mental one!

Let alone winning, We’ve not even been leading at old Trafford at any point In any game since Beckham bent home an equaliser in 1998.

1 draw 10 losses - 7 of which we lost to 0, the other 3 we lost scoring only a consolation at 4-0 , 3-0 and 2-0 respectively with the only exception being Morgan 1-1 in 2016.

We have also never scored more than 1 at OT in this time and have an aggregate of

11 games played - 4 scored 22 conceded.

Shocking really!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

I was one of the lucky ones

I live in the north west and went with a pal who's a Man C season ticket holder. We sat in his seats, more or less in line with the penalty area where Huth scored in the second minute.

Of course, when they scored I feared the worst, and Simmo had a 'moment' in about the 86th minute which almost finished me off!

I came home on the train with an idiot grin on my face, basking in the conversation of local Man C supporting passengers. They were, without exception, magnanimous in defeat 'lost to the better side' 'best way performance here in years' etc, and there were lots of 'hope they go on to win it now' type comments. From their viewpoint, it was anyone but United. Or Arsenal, or Spurs.

I watched it twice more that evening!

Yeah me too. I was convinced we were going to win after that. Also, i remember meeting three girls from Bermuda*.

They had flown into heathrow the night before, travelled to Leicester and got on the shitty Ausden Clark bus at 6am. I remember thinking how big this thing had become. 

* One of them looked like Rhianna :wub:

6 hours ago, Hollyfox said:

City fans, I know are very decent and, like us, have suffered very dark days. 

Some of the other big 6 fans haven't got a bloody clue what being really shit is

Holly, just a genuine question, not a dig or anything, but do you come from Leicester? Always wonder why some LCFC fans speak about 'City' fans when referring to the Manchester club. Perhaps a generational thing (I'm an old fart and City to me, at least, is the one at LE2). 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Also of our 4 goals scored, can you remember all the scorers and whats the thing that all these goals have in common? 

If I've understood the question right, the last 4 goals scored at OT by us have been by Vardy, Gray, Morgan and Wasilewski. Off the top of my head, other than their being the last goal scored in the game, I cannot think what they might have in common.

I can recall a very entertaining game at Filbert Street 1963 when we thrashed Arsenal 7-2, it was muddy as hell, and funny when the ball that was rolling toward an Arsenal Defender the ball stopped dead and up popped Gibson (I think) to poke it into the net. Their goalkeeper went off injured and as it was pre-substitute days Joe Baker (then England's Centre Forward) went in goal, thoroughly enjoyed that day...but was too young to buy a jar or two to celebrate...I had to rely on my Brother to provide the booze.

Not "at" the big 6 but what the heck...:)

Edited by norwichfox

44 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Holly, just a genuine question, not a dig or anything, but do you come from Leicester? Always wonder why some LCFC fans speak about 'City' fans when referring to the Manchester club. Perhaps a generational thing (I'm an old fart and City to me, at least, is the one at LE2). 

Very welcome to ask👍

No I don't come from Leicester. 

Not sure why people refer to them as that but I'm pretty sure most fans would think of City as Manchester City. 

I live in Bedford, which is a bit of a London overspill and the usual plastics. 

But, down here Leicester are known as Leicester, Norwich are Norwich, Birmingham are Birmingham, Stoke are Stoke etc. 

If I said City in a pub etc, people would think of Man City. 

When people say United, I'm pretty sure not many people think of Newcastle, Sheffield or Leeds. 

Utd would be Manchester in most people's minds. 

Not saying its right, but that's what most would think. 

Wednesday and Forest are more unique, I guess. 

Maybe we should have gone for Fosse whilst we had a chance. 

Like you, I'm an old fart and have been coming up from here for about 45 years with my dad,on my own and with my wife and kids. 

It's Mark BTW (daughter logged me on this forum😄

Up The Citeh💙

• Like 2

Was at the 2-1 victory at Anfield in 1997 and again two years later when Marshall scored the only goal of the game. The three nil victory against United at home in 1985 felt every bit as good as the five we put past them in 2014 - although Wes's goal in the draw in 2016 felt like an away win and was crucial in the title campaign. 

Guest Markyblue
25 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

Very welcome to ask👍

No I don't come from Leicester. 

Not sure why people refer to them as that but I'm pretty sure most fans would think of City as Manchester City. 

I live in Bedford, which is a bit of a London overspill and the usual plastics. 

But, down here Leicester are known as Leicester, Norwich are Norwich, Birmingham are Birmingham, Stoke are Stoke etc. 

If I said City in a pub etc, people would think of Man City. 

When people say United, I'm pretty sure not many people think of Newcastle, Sheffield or Leeds. 

Utd would be Manchester in most people's minds. 

Not saying its right, but that's what most would think. 

Wednesday and Forest are more unique, I guess. 

Maybe we should have gone for Fosse whilst we had a chance. 

Like you, I'm an old fart and have been coming up from here for about 45 years with my dad,on my own and with my wife and kids. 

It's Mark BTW (daughter logged me on this forum😄

Up The Citeh💙

I agree however much we hate it, city to most neutrals is man city and utd is man utd, upto us as a club to change that with success but will be difficult unfortunately. 

I swear our players just turn up at Old Trafford and get overwhelmed before a ball has even been kicked. At least without fans this year they might not shit themselves as soon as the whistle goes - probably the best chance of beating United at OT since records began. But to be honest I’ve said that the last two times we’ve gone there and I think we’ve played two holding midfielders both times so I’m not holding my breath. 

Edited by Manini