Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Brighton 3-0 post match thread

6 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Last season it was 4-1-4-1 with Ndidi on his own covering two attacking midfielders in Tielemans and Maddison. until we changed to a back five.

This season the few times we have used a back four, Tielemans has been playing deeper so become more of a 4-2-3-1 again.

Pretty much, though that's where I would argue on the nuances:

Leicester City 4-1-4-1 Brendan Rogers

^ This is / was the 4141. Maddison and Tielemans are parallel and each of them takes it turns to be the 10 or the 8. We used this system a lot during Rodgers first 12 months. 

image.png.de36bf949c643f18036cd711efedd454.png

^ This was Rodgers system at Swansea City. Seem familiar? We play a lot like this at the moment, and notice how you have the number 8 as the deep lying playmaker in our team too (Tielemans) and an attacking playmaker in Maddison. Now they don't change their roles, they keep to them.

image.png.25f75065d56d98ffcf2a527bb94c9d8d.png

^ Finally a look back at when we played 4231 under Puel. I think this was against Stoke City when Iborra scored. In this system, the two midfielders sat at almost all times and that allowed Maguire to contribute to the attack as well as the full backs to push on, though in this match we didn't yet have Maddison or Ricardo. 

If you look at all 3 of these formations, I'd say we play more of the middle system, though it must be noted that against Brighton we actually played both 433 and 4231! We changed it again after halftime to control the game, which is what 4231 is really good at, seeing out games. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Mendy is a serviceable back up for Ndidi but I think most have gotten carried away with his performances this season. His defensive output isn’t great and his passing is very safe - he’s a steady player because he plays without making risks, a few good performances doesn’t change that.

Hes played quite a few Good one-twos, pushing the Team forward,played decent Triangle to get us pushing forward & out of Trouble in defence...

Hes a Coaches Dream & a player who quickly goes around doing his business at an higher level,that some fans find it difficult to Pick up on...

Mendy May Not be 'the' reason ,but definitely  ' one' of the reasons Why we have kept our season rolling, und actually competing suprisingly  ( with our injuries)

for & in those Top 4 positions..Think about that..COMPETING FOR THOSE TOP 4 POSITIONS...

One just has to be Football blind to Not recognise  Mendy's Top contribution....

They must carry grudges that never really came to fruitation..., Or begrudging under-Cover Forest fans...

We would of been worse off without him...so Work that out & make a decent Logical forum discussion out of that..

And Why oh why, do we even Need to find a Way to turn the positives into anything leading to the negative...

Its Simply weird..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Mendy is a serviceable back up for Ndidi but I think most have gotten carried away with his performances this season. His defensive output isn’t great and his passing is very safe - he’s a steady player because he plays without making risks, a few good performances doesn’t change that.

You see here is exactly how I see it. Most have gotten carried away with him and end up just stating it constantly without even really watching.

Truth is, he barely tackles, he barely intercepts, his passing is non existent bar ‘safe’ passing that anyone could do, powerful midfielders run past him, he can’t win headers, he can’t win confrontations. He is an extremely limited player, that’s just the reality. He’s not good enough for us for where we want to be now.

30 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Apropos nothing in particular.: Wilf is  a good player isn't he.  Yet mendy has done a super job. he grabbed his opportunity and has done realty well for us.  No doubt about it.  Juts like madison is not the best no10... but he does an above avarage job for us... we should not rubbish the contribution of pappy mendy. I think either wilf or pappy would be a starter in most PL teams

You honestly think Mendy would be a starter in most PL teams? 😂😂. Incredible. Go and look at yourself in a mirror and say that comment without laughing.

27 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I wasnt going to respond to this but that post is ridiculously insulting to many Leicester fans of that era - you're basically saying any Leicester fan of the 90's and early 2000's had no clue with regards to football. That's an arrogant moronic way of looking at it. Let me guess, you have no regard for people like Ian Marshall or the improvement of Phil Gilchrist. You probably thought Graham Fenton should've been our main man instead of Cottee ? Mark Robins had more talent then Iwan Roberts ?

Each of the players you listed in that post as "ridiculous" picks for player of the season were deserving of the accolade even with the competition of the other candidates who didnt win it. That doesnt mean they're held in very high regard. Did you ever see the improvement that Gerry Taggart made from his first to his second season ? Simon Grayson from his 97 exploits secured a move to a massive club at the time in Villa. Savage, who I dont hold in very high regard came as a RWB but work his bloody socks off to fill in a role that was vacated by an exceptional player like Garry Parker. 

You seem to have this opinion that you and only you can watch, analyse and dissect football. Whether you want to come across like that or not, I personally couldn't give a shit. However, a bit of advice, its not good to always follow the trend but when your opinion is almost always in the minority, you're probably wrong in your assessment. Its also not a good trait to profess a holier than thou image.  

Regarding Mendy, I'm not going to get into it again. However, saying Mendy has contributed well for the vast majority of this season does NOT mean he is better then Ndidi. Very few people will make that claim. Saying he has been "shit" means you've missed his contribution that others (not just dumbass city fans who are not worthy) including respected pundits have picked up on. 

It’s not insulting anyone. It’s saying that generally it’s quite clear that from past POTS’s that people like to focus on the more limited players compared to the genuine top players.

Are you saying that it’s not pretty odd that Heskey, Izzet and Lennon all didn’t win it? I’d say nearly every fan would agree these 3 are amongst the best players in our 90s-early 2000s teams, yet they didn’t win one between them!

I see it as people almost accept the quality they show and almost take them for granted and don’t bother acknowledging it as they would rather boost up the ‘weaker’ players.

Grayson was steady but he wasn’t great and failed at Villa and dropped down the leagues. Villa also wernt a huge club back then, they were just a mid table team similar to us but with more history. He scored vs Wimbledon which boosted his hype but plenty had better seasons.

Taggart was steady but 99/00 how could he be ahead of Elliot for starters?

Lets not even get into Savage, yes he worked hard but again he wasn’t a patch on Izzet and Lennon. Lennon was the key reason we fell apart, a fantastic anchor who people just rely on being there, whilst praising limited players like Savage then wonder why we fall apart when Lennon leaves for Celtic. 

Vardy not getting it in 17/18 over Maguire another crazy example. Almost as if Vardy is just so good and everyone accept it and just thinks ‘nah boring giving it him again’ let’s go for the new boy whose been pretty average but he’s new and in the media spotlight..Vardy scored 20 prem goals in the most average team in transition from our title winners - the team we had today being built. Fantastic season, arguably his best. Yet Maguire who was part of a defence who conceded 60 goals gets in.

Football isn’t about picking players who are mediocre and limited , it’s about making brutal decisions. That’s why Fergie was the best manager, he made unpopular decisions because he knew the truth. Mourinho also goes against the general consensus if he believes it’s all bs.

And about Mendy, I didn’t say he was ‘shit’ I have said he’s not good enough, limited and we’re a better team without him.

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think Mendy suffers to a degree what Praet & Perez suffer in perception. I quite understand that some can't see their merits, however, but quite often their function isn't flash, and might be as prosaic as savvy positioning, or recycling possession, providing safe outlets and so forth. 

That isn't to say any of them don't have their faults, of course. Drives me nuts when Perez gets knocked off the ball, but Tielemans dawdling and getting caught in possession does too. 

But isnt football about, those moments when One doesn't get Knocked Off the ball,or doesn't dawdle even does a Smart turn and isnt caught in possesion...

I find the modern fan is Simply configuarated to First hunt & chase down negative nuances, rather than to Enjoy the presentation & Performance as an whole..

All this over analyse, is what the Coaches & manager get paid for..Plus they can use it,or change it accordingly. Finding fault in detail from the outside is meaningless....

To me the gameday Big picture....IMO

Manager Selects The team, The (flexable) formation,the tactics, then be pro-active as a player, and manager if deemed necessary.

Then I as a fan will sit/Stand have a Pint or cuppa & Enjoy what is played out before me...having preconceived Perceptions is nonsense, the end of the game is the Time to deal,what performances were presented & what consequences if any could not should be taken..But not in Chronic detail that One seems fit to go into demeaning individuals or character assassination...

Understand & accept its Natural each game will have its ups & downs, twists & turns, being a Leicester fan, expect the odd frustration..

The payback...its The excitement ,enthrallment,exctasy...with The odd..oh-shit...more so in relegation battles...

Bit I Dont see any Automatic right to go onto any negative offensive,every week..my own life, or when younger, Sporting life was enough to get in with.

Shitting on others,doesn't Pass in my DNA Nor my lifes agenda...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

You see here is exactly how I see it. Most have gotten carried away with him and end up just stating it constantly without even really watching.

Truth is, he barely tackles, he barely intercepts, his passing is non existent bar ‘safe’ passing that anyone could do, powerful midfielders run past him, he can’t win headers, he can’t win confrontations. He is an extremely limited player, that’s just the reality. He’s not good enough for us for where we want to be now.

You honestly think Mendy would be a starter in most PL teams? 😂😂. Incredible. Go and look at yourself in a mirror and say that comment without laughing.

It’s not insulting anyone. It’s saying that generally it’s quite clear that from past POTS’s that people like to focus on the more limited players compared to the genuine top players.

Are you saying that it’s not pretty odd that Heskey, Izzet and Lennon all didn’t win it? I’d say nearly every fan would agree these 3 are amongst the best players in our 90s-early 2000s teams, yet they didn’t win one between them!

I see it as people almost accept the quality they show and almost take them for granted and don’t bother acknowledging it as they would rather boost up the ‘weaker’ players.

Grayson was steady but he wasn’t great and failed at Villa and dropped down the leagues. Villa also wernt a huge club back then, they were just a mid table team similar to us but with more history. He scored vs Wimbledon which boosted his hype but plenty had better seasons.

Lets not even get into Savage, yes he worked hard but again he wasn’t a patch on Izzet and Lennon. Lennon was the key reason we fell apart, a fantastic anchor who people just rely on being there, whilst praising limited players like Savage then wonder why we fall apart when Lennon leaves for Celtic. 

Vardy not getting it in 17/18 over Maguire another crazy example. Almost as if Vardy is just so good and everyone accept it and just thinks ‘nah boring giving it him again’ let’s go for the new boy whose been pretty average but he’s new and in the media spotlight..Vardy scored 20 prem goals in the most average team in transition from our title winners - the team we had today being built. Fantastic season, arguably his best. Yet Maguire who was part of a defence who conceded 60 goals gets in.

Football isn’t about picking players who are mediocre and limited , it’s about making brutal decisions. That’s why Fergie was the best manager, he made unpopular decisions because he knew the truth. Mourinho also goes against the general consensus if he believes it’s all bs.

And about Mendy, I didn’t say he was ‘shit’ I have said he’s not good enough, limited and we’re a better team without him.

It's fairly insulting to insinuate you know better than anyone who doesn't share your self-righteous opinion. I should know, I get accused of it enough, rightly or wrongly. 

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

You seem very agitated at the idea that mendy has played well.  Maybe we have missed ndidi... but mendy has made a great contribution to our season so far

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

So I’m an idiot for not agreeing with you that Mendy has ‘played very well’? Well then I think your an idiot for thinking he has.

I don’t dislike him but I want the best for my club and he’s not good enough for us.

We arnt in 2004-2008 now, we arnt small time with no money, we have a fantastic squad and a manager who is one of the biggest earners in the league, we also have a spanking new training ground and are planning a huge upgrade on the stadium. This means expectations will go higher, top 6 is almost minimum now , which may seem crazy to a club with our yoyo history but is the reality is the current era.

We are 6th in major trophies since the Premier league nearly 30 years ago. We are a big club with even bigger ambitions, we’ve won more in that time than Sky big 6 member Spurs and only below the other 5. In turn this means as a fan base we should stop being so small time and settling for averageness.

Mendy is a player who has been very poor in most games and a few ok games and people want to shoot smoke up his a** like he’s prime makalele. He’s a limited player whose a stop gap to cover for injuries. He’s not good enough and we’ve already played 2 games without him and looked far better in both.

Every game he starts our odds of winning drop and that’s fine if we want to be mid table but our squad as a whole is better than that.

I’m speechless with a lot of crap I read on here but I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion. If I disagree with people I’m not going to nod along like a nodding dog, I’m going to say what I think.

Ive read some of your posts before and to be fair your one of the better posters and I completely agree with your opinions I read on our 5 at the back system being ridiculous vs these lowly teams, so let’s just agree to disagree on this.

You see this kind of comment is laughable. If people honestly hand on heart believe Mendy has had a better season than Tielemens then they are not watching football. Ridiculous comment.

Tielemans Vardy Praet Barnes Justin then Kasper for me in that order. Barnes has been poorly managed but he’s been remarkably good also, arguably the best if he hasn’t been left out so much. Fofana and Evans and even Madders have also been better than him.

Mendy would be slated hard by fans at any clubs with ambition but mediocrity at best is seen as amazing here. These will be the same fans who get upset when media like Chris Sutton calls us mediocre, but that’s the exact reason why.

Looking at Leicester’s fans players of the seasons over the years proves that point. Simon Grayson I mean come on, Gerry Taggart winning it in 99/00, how anyone could pick Gerry that year is beyond me. Then Savage winning it 2 seasons running. I mean Izzet, Lennon and Savage, and the clear weakest player in the trio by a million miles is picked as a fan’s favourite 😂.

I mean Kante, Izzet, Lennon did not receive the fans backing at any point(the latter 2 are arguably 2 of the biggest legends we’ve had) yet average at best Savage gets 2 awards 😂.

Nor did Heskey and only until last year did Vardy receive it, in 17/18 to have Maguire over him(one of our worse goals conceded in a Premier league season) sums it up. 

So I understand the reasoning why people love Mendy but the reality is he’s the weak link and the sooner he’s out the team the better we will do.

You really do write the biggest load of drivel that has been seen on foxes talk in a very long time. So if Ndidi gets injured who do you play in place of him? He isant as good as Ndidi but he has been an adequate replacement when we have needed him. So he is the reason we have lost games. Nothing t

o do with Vardy missing a penalty, or Barnes missing sitters, Kasper fluffing his clearances, defence coming to far out and ball going over the top etc. Please don’t put your dislike of one player into an argument that (ex is our missing king tha5 is rubbish. He has helped out and created chances, look at his assist at Man City. People like you bore the pants off me as you can not give credit where it is due.  

4 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Upto your last sentence...I was sort of on your side...Your Not so wrong, but also Not quite right.. 

Using your logic...We would be automatically now Top of the league ,if  Ndidi had been fit & Mendy wasnt required..

Football ist played in the mind, but with lifes consequences dished out randomly. 

The Fergies,Klopps, Guardiolas,Mourhinos, are  not the reason for football, only a Part of it...

Actually its the forgotten or no names,that makes the game tick. The names above you mentioned, every Team have their like through their history.98% of players Never hold a title, but its their Football stories,that hold fans interest alot longer. Its their roller-coaster of ups & downs,Achievements within their own career paths.

Being a sportsman,  achievements can be measures across various levels.....

A Runner at Any level, One might Take home 3-4 trouphies in their individual seasons,only once Breaking his best times in his career...

another one of his competitors,might just not have that Trophy haul, but bests his  own Time 7-8 times..

So who should be considered the best or just better...   Its just a matter of    "Perspectives".!!

Those players  you mentioned had successful careers,even when going Trophyless, the way you seem to sell it...is they failed..!!

Now a correction...

Emile Heskey...English International 62 caps...Not a PL winner, but ...FA cup winner,...League cup winner,...UEFA-Cup winner...European.Supercup winner.

Football and other Sports are Mediums that allows achievements at various levels, at different and same spheres competitions.

Many Top title winners have Left their title giving club, and Never found the same success,

we have seen others where trouphies Stick to them around like honey...

I Think you put some Good points forward..But its your own sell on what criteria you seem to use to measure, success or if someone is good enough..!!

No sport is that simple...no matter how straightforward it seems. The First achievement is being able to participate !!!

Sidewinders  coming in making very avg statements and giving easy Judgement & solutions,

Betrays the very sport they profess to like & support...

Thats the Problem having fans....

We are an arrogant and Never satisfied bunch of " know-alls". We are wrong in Everything we considered right, and right in Everything

we consider wrong...!!  And once there is more than One of us , we both always beg to differ..

Edited by fuchsntf

6 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

We’re near the top of the league because we have a great squad with a few weak links, him being the biggest along with Fuchs who was a good player but well past it and his legs are gone.

We won the league with quite a few weak links.

We had the 2nd lowest chance creation(that’s probably changed as that stat was from before Sheffield Utd) we were up the top of the table because despite this we have a few fantastic players, including one of the worlds best strikers with a sky high conversion rate, a fantastic midfielder who can dictate games and is a mainstay in Europes strongest national team. It was not sustainable and it has come falling down vs Liverpool and Fulham but luckily for us Ndidi has come back and made us stronger which has halted the slump.

We we’re doing well despite carrying him not because of him.

Wes brown was part of probably the greatest premier league team to ever play, with Ronaldo Tevez Rooney Carrick Scholes Vidic Ferdinand Evra Van Der Sar Nani Giggs, I could go on.
A Utd fan claiming Wes Brown is key to that team would be as stupid as Leicester fans claiming Mendy being touted as key to this team.

Mendy is a weak link in a good squad in the same way Wes Brown just filled a gap to cover for Gary Neville in a strong team.

When we won the league we literally had NO weak links. That’s how me navigated a 38 game season losing only 3 games. 

Please tell me who were the weak links, and how they were the weak links. 

Come on Anne Robinson. 

Edited by Leeds Fox
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

So I’m an idiot for not agreeing with you that Mendy has ‘played very well’? Well then I think your an idiot for thinking he has.

I don’t dislike him but I want the best for my club and he’s not good enough for us.

We arnt in 2004-2008 now, we arnt small time with no money, we have a fantastic squad and a manager who is one of the biggest earners in the league, we also have a spanking new training ground and are planning a huge upgrade on the stadium. This means expectations will go higher, top 6 is almost minimum now , which may seem crazy to a club with our yoyo history but is the reality is the current era.

We are 6th in major trophies since the Premier league nearly 30 years ago. We are a big club with even bigger ambitions, we’ve won more in that time than Sky big 6 member Spurs and only below the other 5. In turn this means as a fan base we should stop being so small time and settling for averageness.

Mendy is a player who has been very poor in most games and a few ok games and people want to shoot smoke up his a** like he’s prime makalele. He’s a limited player whose a stop gap to cover for injuries. He’s not good enough and we’ve already played 2 games without him and looked far better in both.

Every game he starts our odds of winning drop and that’s fine if we want to be mid table but our squad as a whole is better than that.

I’m speechless with a lot of crap I read on here but I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion. If I disagree with people I’m not going to nod along like a nodding dog, I’m going to say what I think.

Ive read some of your posts before and to be fair your one of the better posters and I completely agree with your opinions I read on our 5 at the back system being ridiculous vs these lowly teams, so let’s just agree to disagree on this.

You see this kind of comment is laughable. If people honestly hand on heart believe Mendy has had a better season than Tielemens then they are not watching football. Ridiculous comment.

Tielemans Vardy Praet Barnes Justin then Kasper for me in that order. Barnes has been poorly managed but he’s been remarkably good also, arguably the best if he hasn’t been left out so much. Fofana and Evans and even Madders have also been better than him.

Mendy would be slated hard by fans at any clubs with ambition but mediocrity at best is seen as amazing here. These will be the same fans who get upset when media like Chris Sutton calls us mediocre, but that’s the exact reason why.

Looking at Leicester’s fans players of the seasons over the years proves that point. Simon Grayson I mean come on, Gerry Taggart winning it in 99/00, how anyone could pick Gerry that year is beyond me. Then Savage winning it 2 seasons running. I mean Izzet, Lennon and Savage, and the clear weakest player in the trio by a million miles is picked as a fan’s favourite 😂.

I mean Kante, Izzet, Lennon did not receive the fans backing at any point(the latter 2 are arguably 2 of the biggest legends we’ve had) yet average at best Savage gets 2 awards 😂.

Nor did Heskey and only until last year did Vardy receive it, in 17/18 to have Maguire over him(one of our worse goals conceded in a Premier league season) sums it up. 

So I understand the reasoning why people love Mendy but the reality is he’s the weak link and the sooner he’s out the team the better we will do.

Sorry I have to apologise, I said you were an idiot, from reading your posts again, it is obvious you are more of an obnoxious prat

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

You're having an absolute mare here with this drivel. Just give up.

7 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

7 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Apropos nothing in particular.: Wilf is  a good player isn't he.  Yet mendy has done a super job. he grabbed his opportunity and has done realty well for us.  No doubt about it.  Juts like madison is not the best no10... but he does an above avarage job for us... we should not rubbish the contribution of pappy mendy. I think either wilf or pappy would be a starter in most PL teams

If you really believe that then you are wrong and if you're wrong, I'm not going to sit around shaking my maracas im gonna tell you that you're wrong and the more people that tell me I'm wrong, the more times I will repeat that you are wrong because that means you are wrong. 

And another thing! Vardy conversion rate is ridiculous and unsustainable. You wanna know what the real problem is, we've been lucky that they went in. Not enough shots, that's the problem. Passenger, we've been carrying him because everyone else has been good bar none. And if you think I'm wrong then you are wrong and I dare you to tell me I'm wrong cos you'll just look wrong! 

7 hours ago, Stadt said:

Oh don't you ****ing start! 😂😘

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

What are you on about ? Which Leicester fans of that era were “surprised” that losing Lennon had a detrimental effect on us ? Surely you don’t believe this rubbish you’re spouting that you’re the only one to recognise talent in football ? You make no sense. 

and Villa in the 90’s were much bigger then us. I think when Grayson left us for them, they were finishing around 4th, 5th and 6th. I think they had a period out of the top 6 when Big Ron was sacked for Little, however, I don’t think you can stay were the same as them back then. Strange.