Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Brighton 3-0 post match thread

31 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I could also say the same to you, is he your son or something? I know you love him and always think he’s a fantastic player but I’m allowed my opinion on him.

Wilf is on a completely different level in every single way, it’s so clear to see. Mendy has filled a gap and made us a weaker team, that’s my opinion. The reason we are still doing well is because we have a class squad around us. It’s nothing personal to him, I don’t dislike him but it’s just what I see and he’s the weakest link in our side.

Does that mean I dislike him? No. Does that mean I don’t want him to do well? No. Does that mean I think we could be better with a better player in there? Yes.

Thats nothing childish or personal. It’s my opinion and I’d be patronising you if I said otherwise.

Ive said for months the 2 biggest problems we’ve had:

Needing Wilf back over Mendy.

Changing that sh*te negative formation vs the lower teams.

Last 2 games Wilf starts finally, AEK we also went to a 4141, Brighton we changed formation.

Result = 2 clean sheets, our 2 most convincing wins, our best open attacking football.
For months I’ve been saying how good we can be when we get Wilf(Castange and Ricardo also) back and BR takes the handbrake off and actually gives us a chance to show how good we are and it’s clearly shown in the last few games how good we CAN be if we do all this.

Its took a while but it’s clearly been staring me in the face.

He hasn’t played well this season overall in my opinion. He’s played ok in a few games and been very poor in others. He looked so far out of his depth vs West Ham, Villa, Wolves, Liverpool and Fulham. He’s had a few decent games vs Man City, Leeds and Arsenal.

Wilf is a unique talent, all the top clubs will be looking at him. Mendy is a journeyman , a grafter but ultimately extremely limited.

Mendy didn’t start any of our Europa league matches and Everton, we played fantastically in every one of those games scoring tons, ‘coincidentally’. He only came on vs Zorya and even then we were 0-0 before and lost after he came on.

We look so much better without him on the pitch and Wilf is on another planet. You lost your argument calling people ‘idiots’ who disagree.
Calling Mendy a ‘quality’ midfielder is very laughable but I won’t insult you by your opinion despite in my eyes being very funny.

Ive seen people on here saying they would rather have Mendy than Kante and Vardy isn’t good enough for professional football and I don’t call them ‘idiots’. 

Have another look at what you've written above with some sort of objectivity. I didn't call anyone else idiots for the record, just you in effect, which the factually incorrect drivel you've again posted above regarding what I've actually not said confirms. I support both players equally, unlike you who sadly takes every opportunity to simply denigrate Mendy. That's my point. By all means be supportive of Wilf as we all should be as a wonderful player but you do yourself a disservice with your attitude towards Mendy. All the best. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

My opinion has been that way for ages. It’s not over confidence, it’s really watching every single game and statistic and in depth analysis and making my opinions based on it.

I would of probably not set up 5 at the back vs Man City and lost. BR got a result there, does that mean we can’t criticise him?

No. He did well vs City and then didn’t change vs West Ham which I went crazy about at the time because it was ridiculous. He has made lots of mistakes and I’m allowed to disagree/criticise without meaning that makes me arrogant.

For what it’s worth , despite losing faith with him by his ideas quite a few times, I have always wanted him to stay and never actually said ‘I want him sacked’.
I think he’s a good manager and think his limitations are why he’s our level and not at a bigger club.

If he gets us top 4 and/or wins a Europa league then maybe we could start to talk about him in a More ‘top level’ coach. Until then he’s just a decent/good coach whose doing pretty well with a very talented group of lads.

You are just overly critical, that's all. Of Mendy in particular.

It's not a fair assessment to say Mendy has been between 'OK' and 'very poor', highlighting every loss we have had in the league, despite him being a mainstay in a team that are 4th in the league. 

Give me one player who shone in those games by the way.

His two performances against Man City and Arsenal in particular were outstanding.

To me it suggests you are holding Leicester players to a very high standard which is more suitable for Man City/Utd, Chelsea or Liverpool than us. 

You also equate Europa League opposition to PL opposition. AEK were a poor team and we barely scraped a 2-1 win away. We managed a last-gasp equaliser against Braga and we lost to a team most hadn't heard of, so it comes across very biased when you say we 'played fantastically in every one of those games' when we obviously haven't.

It's perfectly within your right not to be impressed, but you comes across very contrarian when you say stuff like the above things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

We get it, you don't rate Mendy. Can you please drop it now because it's getting tedious and your comparisons are becoming more ludicrous by the day.

I notice you haven't claimed Maddison only about our 5th most skilled player (or was it 8th?) again, why is that?

Who is next for you to take a personal dislike to?

Absolutely this. No more rep sorry. 

We played well last night, but we've got to be thankful that Brighton did exactly what they shouldn't have done.

The way to play against us at the KP is to sit deep, with banks of 5 and 4, all 10 men behind the ball.  Time again, we have struggled at home against teams that play like that.  

What we need is space ... and Brighton were like Father Christmas and gave us loads of space, and were duly punished.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

B97C797C-93D8-4C37-950E-A26A83CC1D9A.jpeg

He's okay on match of the day, but monotonic charismaless blatant observations of the game based on stereotypes of both players and clubs in real time didn't really do it for me.

I didn't know you were a ginger Col? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

How many Jane's have we got?

Got a feeling I might be too old/out of touch wiv da yoof for this? 

But I did my research:-

Screenshot_20201214_175418_com.huawei.android.launcher.thumb.jpg.c2c53ea5c9ca2f74a105036b1b07d379.jpg

I doubt the urban dictionary has let. Me down, as I've learned a lot about this brave new world from it, but a bit more guidance wouldn't go amiss. 

Who you popping at? Is it the legend or the responders? Sounds like the legend but I don't trust myself when it comes to new stuff. 

Yours sincerely, 

Old before my time. 

Edited by gw_leics772
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, filbertway said:

Youd imagine so, today isnt a good example of that though lol

Comfortably winning a Premier league football match, using an alternative formation and system which has been developed over the course of several (less successful) matches, isn't a good example of the fact that he knows more about football management than people on foxestalk?

Really? 

3 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I could also say the same to you, is he your son or something? I know you love him and always think he’s a fantastic player but I’m allowed my opinion on him.

Wilf is on a completely different level in every single way, it’s so clear to see. Mendy has filled a gap and made us a weaker team, that’s my opinion. The reason we are still doing well is because we have a class squad around us. It’s nothing personal to him, I don’t dislike him but it’s just what I see and he’s the weakest link in our side.

Does that mean I dislike him? No. Does that mean I don’t want him to do well? No. Does that mean I think we could be better with a better player in there? Yes.

Thats nothing childish or personal. It’s my opinion and I’d be patronising you if I said otherwise.

Last 2 games Wilf starts finally, AEK we also went to a 4141, Brighton we changed formation.

Result = 2 clean sheets, our 2 most convincing wins, our best open attacking football.
For months I’ve been saying how good we can be when we get Wilf(Castange and Ricardo also) back and BR takes the handbrake off and actually gives us a chance to show how good we are and it’s clearly shown in the last few games how good we CAN be if we do all this.

He hasn’t played well this season overall in my opinion. He’s played ok in a few games and been very poor in others. He looked so far out of his depth vs West Ham, Villa, Wolves, Liverpool and Fulham. He’s had a few decent games vs Man City, Leeds and Arsenal.

Wilf is a unique talent, all the top clubs will be looking at him. Mendy is a journeyman , a grafter but ultimately extremely limited.

Mendy didn’t start any of our Europa league matches and Everton, we played fantastically in every one of those games scoring tons, ‘coincidentally’. He only came on vs Zorya and even then we were 0-0 before and lost after he came on.

We look so much better without him on the pitch and Wilf is on another planet. You lost your argument calling people ‘idiots’ who disagree.
Calling Mendy a ‘quality’ midfielder is very laughable but I won’t insult you by your opinion despite in my eyes being very funny.

Ive seen people on here saying they would rather have Mendy than Kante and Vardy isn’t good enough for professional football and I don’t call them ‘idiots’.

I didn’t call people who disagree idiots. I called you an idiot.

mendy has played very well over all this season, Ndidi is far better player no one would disagree however to slag Mendy off like you did is idiotic. You may not like him fine but to say he is poor is unfair on the lad

For me Mendy is one of 3 candidates for Player of the Season so far, along with Vardy and Justin.

Question for anybody, but maybe @StriderHiryu most - is there any kind of "real" difference between what we play which is generally called 4-1-4-1 and a 4-3-3.  Like - I get it's a slight difference and some seem to consider them the same thing.  I guess I'm wondering if you think what we play could be called either, and if not, what makes ours 4-1-4-1 and NOT 4-3-3.

4 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I am honestly speechless Deano, I really am.

25 minutes ago, Bats8711 said:

For me Mendy is one of 3 candidates for Player of the Season so far, along with Vardy and Justin.

Question for anybody, but maybe @StriderHiryu most - is there any kind of "real" difference between what we play which is generally called 4-1-4-1 and a 4-3-3.  Like - I get it's a slight difference and some seem to consider them the same thing.  I guess I'm wondering if you think what we play could be called either, and if not, what makes ours 4-1-4-1 and NOT 4-3-3.

The answer is Ndidi in my opinion, and Vardy. Nobody is as far back as Ndidi or as far forward as Vardy. 

Granted the others aren't exactly a straight line but 433 is more like Liverpool with at least equal but unarguably better "wingers" (wide forwards) than their "number 9". 

That's my take on it

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bats8711 said:

Great question! I’m on mobile so it’s not possible to link it but there’s an excellent video on YouTube where Marcelo Bielsa categorises tactical systems used in football and he says there are essentially only ten types of formation used in world football (from watching 50k matches!) and he’d say probably not. 

But I’d challenge that line of thinking a bit as the devil is in the details and Rodgers style is very distinctive from other teams. Our midfield 3 have very distinct roles; one to shield / sit, one to be the schemer / conductor in the middle of the park, and one to be the artist with the magic touch playing higher up. These 3 rarely interchange and actually a big difference in our style over the last 12 months is that these roles have become fixed. Initially when Rodgers was in charge, Maddison and Tielemans rotated between playing as an 8 or 6, whereas these days I’d describe Tielemans as the Belgian Xavi! So I’d argue that we used to play 4141 but now it’s more of a 433.

We can easily talk about just 433 variants for hours as there’s so much nuance. Liverpool have this bonkers style where their midfield 3 are “shuttlers” who press like maniacs and win the ball back but don’t contribute much to the attack. Or what about Pep’s incredible Barcelona team with Busquets, Iniesta and Xavi which was all about rotating positions and passing triangles? Both different but very effective variations of the system. 

Finally what about 4231 like the system Puel used when here? That also has 3 central midfielders so why not call it a 433? But in that system there are two clear double pivots which make it clearly different. Actually interestingly this system is dieing out in modern football and it’s notable that two teams that play it in Dortmund and Man U are struggling badly; the former just sacked their manager and the latter just crashed out of the Champions League. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Thanks 2