Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Brighton 3-0 post match thread

I think today was good because there were a few players who had great games and the others had decent games. Madders, Vardy, JJ and at times Kevin were excellent. Youri was a bit off it but it shows that as long as one of either madders or youri is on it we do well. 

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

But you just referred to it as a Justin/Albrighton swap. How is moving out left wing back to right back, our right wing back to left wing and out left centre back to left back a Justin/Albrighton swap?

Did I say swap? I said change, not ex-change (meaning that Justin moved across from left wing back to a right back position with Albrighton moving across the field, which altered the set up).

I suggest you look at my post again instead of getting all unnecessarily and wrongly hot under the corner. If you are really that bothered, have a look at my match thread posts too where I mentioned the formation change as a result. Enjoy yourself. All the best. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1

The fact that Wilf has added passing to his game is just something else. Like you could forgive how abysmal it was before because his intercepting was top class. But now to have both 🤯

Throwing vision of pass into the mix and carry on like that for the rest of the season and everyone will be after him! 

5 hours ago, Fox85 said:

I agree you don't actually realise how good he is until he is missing. However mendy has done very well as well. LCFC are having a great season 

I think most people do actually in fact realise how good Wilf is when he was missing, Ive never shut up about it because I knew he was another level above. Mendy is not in the same universe as Wilf. 
He is absolutely fantastic player and that performance tonight was a masterclass in a CM/destroyer but also has been working on his passing ability too. They pass to Justin was worth the entrance fee alone.

3 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Very odd game, we seemed to flick a switch after about twenty minutes and ravaged them. First twenty were a bit dodgy, but Brendan tweaked something and we went from 2nd to 5th gear in a matter of minutes. Maddison seemed to be finding pockets of space everywhere, and JJ and Albrighton suddenly were getting loads of grass to run into down either flank. 

Probably the best first half of football we have played this season, simply stunning at times.

A huge factor for me is Wilf. He may not be as tidy as Mendy on the ball, but he is exceptionally good at winning those 50/50 duels, and those moments where the ball doesn’t seem to stick he mops up. Countless times today he stool a toe in and got around a player who could have played the first pass in an attacking move. He allows to be so much more flexible when he is like that, incredible player and we’ve missed him so much. Mendy has been brilliant, and offers a very different type of CDM role, but wild is something else, he’s the Vardy of the midfield. 

We didn’t do much as flick a switch, but more that we ACTUALLY clicked that we work better as a 4 at the back and with an extra attacking threat rather than inviting teams on,

Make no mistake , if we concede to welbeck , we lose the game just like vs Fulham.

It shows how good we can be and how good the potential of this team can be if BR actually lets us play. I’ve said this countlessly for months and it’s so obvious, yet BR has never learnt until hopefully he’s finally swallowed his pride and realised he was wrong.

Wilf absolutely ran the show. He’s not even in the same breath as Mendy and is on a completely different level.

Id not be suprised if Wilf won more tackles today than Mendys won in his entire Leicester career. Wilfs passing is much better and as today proves, is capable of a variation of long and short passes, Wilf  also doesn’t get run around, he’s tougher, intercepts , tackles, 50/50s, stronger in the air etc. It’s not even a comparison.

Might as well compare Jamie Vardy to Elvis Hammond whilst we’re at it.

• Like 1

When we play like we did in the first half, we are the best team in the division. I’ve got no doubt about that

There are very few teams who can score goals like our second one, and very few players who can score goals like Maddison’s second one 

Last night was a delight to watch and you could see the hunger to win, in us right from the kick off. There was always only going to be one team that won that game last night. Brighton must have gone in at half time feeling like they’d be hit by a train

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Its quite worrying the amount of fans claiming to have watched the game tonight that don't believe we went to 4 at the back. Are you " all there " some of you? 

I watched it on optussports(optus/opus?) and they told me almost as soon as it happened. 

(which certainly helped me to feel cleverer than some on here 😱😂 - also casts some doubt on how good the amazon coverage was) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

This is a question sincerely meant - in the first 20, we got absolutely sliced open a couple of times. Could someone give me a slightly more detailed explanation as to why, other than 'the formation' please. I realise he changed it and the game was transformed, but his interview suggested what Potter did meant we were outnumbered in midfield. Is the problem that the formation makes us exposed if we give the ball away within certain central areas?

Not looking for a fight whatsoever, genuinely interested. It cannot be dead simple, otherwise he'd do it all the time.

Brighton had been playing 3 at the back in recent games but went 4 in this one. That gave them an additional body to attack with and because Albrighton and Justin were pushing high up the pitch, there were acres of space behind both. Thus the game felt like a basketball match; every time one team attacked the other team had huge spaces for a counter attack and the game could easily have been 2-2 in the first 15. 

Rodgers then made the change of going 4141 and those spaces on either side vanished. So why not go 4141 more often? Well that’s the question we’ve all been asking. My answer to that would be that with our current personnel that if we can’t get going in 4141 then we often don’t function at all whereas 3421 gives us more structural stability as we can always nick something. 

But all that said everyone on these forums has been saying the same thing for months; play 3421 when we are against high possession teams and play 4141 at home / bus parkers. I do think the return of Ndidi is key though. He wins aerial duels, wins tackles and with that outstanding pass to JJ which setup Perez, showed he adds to our attack too. Could we do the same with Mendy or Hamza there instead? Maybe but we wouldn’t be as good. 

Still hopefully the penny has now dropped formation wise. 

• Thanks 3