Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Brighton 3-0 post match thread

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

This is a question sincerely meant - in the first 20, we got absolutely sliced open a couple of times. Could someone give me a slightly more detailed explanation as to why, other than 'the formation' please. I realise he changed it and the game was transformed, but his interview suggested what Potter did meant we were outnumbered in midfield. Is the problem that the formation makes us exposed if we give the ball away within certain central areas?

Not looking for a fight whatsoever, genuinely interested. It cannot be dead simple, otherwise he'd do it all the time.

I noticed that Evans came out to intercept more when he changed formation. To answer the question I think our defence just clicks in a back 4.

Edited by Fightforever
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lnkstern said:

Regarding James Maddison...

Creative players like him are very much needed.  Like Mahrez, you may occasionally get a sub-par performance, but they can create in situations where most others can't.

I would very much like to see Leicester keep him.

And his 2nd goal was very much like Mahrez.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

No not at all I am not saying that  Mendy has been great . What I am saying is it no coincidence that the last two games we have looked a lot better with Wilf back in the side . 

...to be honest, I feel he, along with Fuchs deserves a break!!!

The have really stepped up and performed to keep this team ticking over. Happy Wilf is back but this will not be the last we see of Mendy who has a lot to bring to the table.

• Like 1

That 20 minute spell at the end of the first half was special, as good as we've played for some time. We might have been 1 or 2 down though had Brighton taken their chances so I hope we don't brush that aside. The Justin/Albrighton change helped and changed things.

Let's hope we really push on now. Our game against Fulham and their result against Liverpool as well as the Spurs draw at Palace show there is a lot to play for this season. At our best we can match the best and be in the mix with a full squad. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd

6 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

I noticed that Evans came out to intercept more when he changed formation. To answer the question I think our defence just clicks in a back 4.

it allows more width and is not as congested, playing 3 atb as well allows the opposition to get in behind more down the flanks which they did a few times its also easier to play through a 3 than a 4 if your wings backs are high up

Edited by whoareyaaa

1 minute ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

That 20 minute spell at the end of the first half was special, as good as we've played for some time. We might have been 1 or 2 down though had Brighton taken their chances so I hope we don't brush that aside. The Justin/Albrighton change helped and changed things.

Let's hope we really push on now. Our game against Fulham and their result against, Liverpool as well as the Spurs draw at Palace show there is a lot to play for this year. At our best we can match the best. 

It wasn't a Justin/Albrighton swap, it was a switch to a back 4! Rodgers has said so himself!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

This is a question sincerely meant - in the first 20, we got absolutely sliced open a couple of times. Could someone give me a slightly more detailed explanation as to why, other than 'the formation' please. I realise he changed it and the game was transformed, but his interview suggested what Potter did meant we were outnumbered in midfield. Is the problem that the formation makes us exposed if we give the ball away within certain central areas?

Not looking for a fight whatsoever, genuinely interested. It cannot be dead simple, otherwise he'd do it all the time.

I imagine the switch of Kevin and Justin and the formation change gave us more attacking thrust which in turn put Brighton on the back foot?  5 at the back should give more bodies centrally but four gives us more width.  Both teams were matched up in the middle at the start..

I dunno, I think that your best bet is to wait until Strider comes along.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lcfceaves said:

Didn’t see the game but watched the brief highlights on sky app. Other than the welbeck chance (god knows what would’ve happened if they’d scored that) did they create much else? 
Perez back and two wins? 
Who stood out? 

Praet. Maddison should be looking over his shoulder.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

I imagine the switch of Kevin and Justin and the formation change gave us more attacking thrust which in turn put Brighton on the back foot?  5 at the back should give more bodies centrally but four gives us more width.  Both teams were matched up in the middle at the start..

I dunno, I think that your best bet is to wait until Strider comes along.

Ironically enough we were chatting during the game.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Its quite worrying the amount of fans claiming to have watched the game tonight that don't believe we went to 4 at the back. Are you " all there " some of you? 

I don't think it was that clear in the first half because we were attacking constantly so rarely saw the shape. However second half it was obvious. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yep that has to be the lesson, because the game went from being a powerleague game which could have ended 5-5 to a game where dominated and completely controlled Brighton.

It was noted that before the game Toure was drilling the back 4 that the change might happen, and credit to the manager he did make the change. Just a shame he didn't do that against Fulham! Ah well, still a great league position to be in!

...I believed that same drill, was replicated before the start of the Liverpool game!!!

25 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I might be missing something but it's just as simple as going from a 5 to a 4 at the back gave us an extra man in the middle. Therfore we controlled the midfield after the tactical switch 

9 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

I didn't say it was simply a swap. In fact I acknowledged it in the match thread that the formation changed. 

But you just referred to it as a Justin/Albrighton swap. How is moving out left wing back to right back, our right wing back to left wing and out left centre back to left back a Justin/Albrighton swap?

• Like 1

Very odd game, we seemed to flick a switch after about twenty minutes and ravaged them. First twenty were a bit dodgy, but Brendan tweaked something and we went from 2nd to 5th gear in a matter of minutes. Maddison seemed to be finding pockets of space everywhere, and JJ and Albrighton suddenly were getting loads of grass to run into down either flank. 

Probably the best first half of football we have played this season, simply stunning at times.

A huge factor for me is Wilf. He may not be as tidy as Mendy on the ball, but he is exceptionally good at winning those 50/50 duels, and those moments where the ball doesn’t seem to stick he mops up. Countless times today he stool a toe in and got around a player who could have played the first pass in an attacking move. He allows to be so much more flexible when he is like that, incredible player and we’ve missed him so much. Mendy has been brilliant, and offers a very different type of CDM role, but wild is something else, he’s the Vardy of the midfield.