Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Striker

22 hours ago, oxtonfox said:

Cant understand why the management have not even tried to look at a striker. Are they looking for the second coming? In which case Vardy will have to play into his 40s.

This reminds me a lot of our favourite Swedish Manager Sven and England in the 2006 World Cup. He named just 4 strikers in the 22:: an injured Rooney (who had not even returned from broken metatarsal), an injury prone Owen (who then twisted his knee vs Sweden), Peter Crouch and Walcott (who was 17 and had never played for England, and didn't play anyway)!  Hezus  Christo!!!!! 

In reference of the first part of your post, I think the reality is that the most urgent need for us last summer was our defence - which we can now look back and say we rectified brilliantly. The issue we have with Vardy is genuinely quite unique to the player and trajectory that he has. Where you look at other brilliant strikers, Aguero at City for instance, clear signs that they're slowing down provide strong evidence for the need of another striker to essentially play either an equal or more important role in the starting 11. When fit, Vardy still looks absolutely magnificent and doesn't seem to be any more injury prone than quite a lot of younger strikers. So it begs the question as to what kind of player we could feasibly attract to still play second fiddle. Our bargaining position strengthens significantly if we make it to the Champions League this season, however.

I think Brendan perhaps thought he could work some magic with Iheanacho and Perez and I imagine will continue to talk them up this season, probably with the view of selling one in the summer to make way for another striker. It's a shame that neither of these seem to offer any kind of threat in our system. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Bamford.... one half decent season in 10 years and people want to sign him. Which by the way isn’t going to happen as we wouldn’t pay what they wanted.

Also a massive Forest fan. 

7 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

The basic problem we face is that vardy pushes the defenders back as they are wary of his speed. This creates space for Madison etc.

Perez comes deep and compresses the space for Madison. 

Play under right on the sholder of the centre backs.  That will creat the space. 

Perez works hard... but his way of playing 9 doesn't help our creativity.

Nacho is too deep too.

Under at 9

You had me agreeing til Under.  I think we we play Nacho or Perez, we have to change formation - something Rodgers hasn’t really done to cope with the personnel changes so far.  A two up top with diamond in the middle might work as both players play well as a pair with a partner. We also need to make sure we get Barnes involved though.  Arguably one of our best performers of the season, but not sure he is a natural striker - does a lot of his best work from the left - but he does have pace and power. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, murphy said:

My first thought when we're looking for a player is to ask who is the outstanding, young up and coming striker in the Championship?  Trouble is, I can't think of anyone outstanding but them I don't tend to watch much Championship football.  Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm not sure that Toney or Armstrong are the answer although it is amusing that those two are both Newcastle rejects and both scoring bags of goals whilst the Geordies labour on with Joelinton and Andy Carroll up front.

South America might be a reasonable region for a striker search, as the competition for up and coming in this country is only going to get more intense and those that can afford too will take a punt on every single one I fear

Don't know whether he's been mentioned but although only a young lad, Florian Balogun is in dispute at Arsenal. Despite being prolific in the u23s he'd been stalling on a contract and only recently been allowed to train with the first team and they'd really like to keep him. He probably can't see a future there with Aubamyang and Lacazette in front of him however, Rodgers has a great reputation for young players and giving them an opportunity. He'd possibly be a better prospect than Perez and Iheanacho will ever be and, although Vardy is the main man, there'd be plenty of playing opportunity. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Bamford.... one half decent season in 10 years and people want to sign him.

Or maybe Babs, Leicester fans have finally realised exactly what I realised in 2015, the fact being that Patty Bamford is World Class 👍🏻

• Haha 1

I think we need a very specific type of striker which is going to make our search even more challenging. 

Vardy suits our style so perfectly because he is so patient. Many strikers are not. Look at someone like Kane as an example, if he doesn’t get enough of the ball he drops deep to get more involved. Vardy is so strict and must be a managers dream as he follows the game plan so well. 

The future could be shaped differently and perhaps Brendan will use a striker in a different way but I hope we see now that a slimani type wouldn’t work. 

I myself called on us to sign Millik, but in all fairness he probably wouldn’t have been the right fit either 

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Don't know whether he's been mentioned but although only a young lad, Florian Balogun is in dispute at Arsenal. Despite being prolific in the u23s he'd been stalling on a contract and only recently been allowed to train with the first team and they'd really like to keep him. He probably can't see a future there with Aubamyang and Lacazette in front of him however, Rodgers has a great reputation for young players and giving them an opportunity. He'd possibly be a better prospect than Perez and Iheanacho will ever be and, although Vardy is the main man, there'd be plenty of playing opportunity. 

...has previously been discussed in the Transfer Forum!!!

Seen him play in the U23s and looks like he has an eye for goals.

• Like 2

They discussed on a recent Tifo Football podcast, who is the one player, this season, who their team is most dependant upon.

Wonder who they picked. :(

Some job this is

What 3 things/attributes do we need from a new striker (not replacement, nor backup) in order of importance

1. game intelligence / movement
  2. finishing
  3. acceleration

Whats your three? (Vardy is not an answer)

21 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

What 3 things/attributes do we need from a new striker (not replacement, nor backup) in order of importance

1. game intelligence / movement
  2. finishing
  3. acceleration

Whats your three? (Vardy is not an answer)

Attributes 

Finishing = 20

Pace = 20

Acceleration = 20

Filter out all over 21 year olds

Sort by price cheapest first.

Find first Scandinavian player in list

Get £80k transfer accepted, pay it over 6 months, just because we can. 

Offer £450p/w contract with £2k goal bonus

Get Vardy to mentor

Start upfront in next Premier League game.

Watch them get rich quick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 31/01/2021 at 16:23, daddylonglegs said:

Spent £120m on backups to Vardy so far. 

Our recruitment defensively has been outstanding but attacking wise a lot to be desired... 

Strongly agree, and likely to end in more disappointments and dead wood . BR has already indicated several times ,and correstly, that all posts calling for a new striker are just wasting ink and everybody's time at the moment. Typical Manchesters and Chelsea fan  responses totally inappropriate to LCFC

Edited by Alan Frost

10 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Attributes 

Finishing = 20

Pace = 20

Acceleration = 20

Filter out all over 21 year olds

Sort by price cheapest first.

Find first Scandinavian player in list

Get £80k transfer accepted, pay it over 6 months, just because we can. 

Offer £450p/w contract with £2k goal bonus

Get Vardy to mentor

Start upfront in next Premier League game.

Watch them get rich quick.

Injury rating will be terrible and he will not fit into the core dressing room group

22 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Balogun is a penalty kick if we could get him. Not sure on the compensation but as far as a risk free signing he'd be it. In fact really piss Arsenal off, get Leuven to sign him for free, play there for 6 months and then come to us for a nominal fee. Brilliant.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Balogun is a penalty kick if we could get him. Not sure on the compensation but as far as a risk free signing he'd be it. In fact really piss Arsenal off, get Leuven to sign him for free, play there for 6 months and then come to us for a nominal fee. Brilliant.

🤣 sounds a no lose risk free deal that and a nice tit for tat for a backward thinking club who consider us rivals. Would be almost worth a subscription to the Gunners forum to witness the melt down as he started banging the goals in. 🤣

• Haha 1