Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Striker

Guest Hansifüx
33 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

The point you made was that we should just replace Vardy now.

Werner at Chelsea is but one example of why it isn't that simple.

We have a proven world class striker who will not be replaced until his body fails. Meanwhile a world class player isn't coming to act as back up. Simple enough to understand.

Werner at Chelsea is complicated ... but Werner at Leicester would work perfectly btw

8 hours ago, Kevin Russell said:

Buying a JV replacement has to be a proper project and we need to get it right. 

The key thing is to get a player with the basic attributes - we have seen with Perez and Kramaric that strikers without pace or strength are difficult for to utilise in the premier league. Kel and Slim have shown that carrying a goal threat, but being clumsy in build up carries a raft of problems.

In the modern game a striker needs to be explosive and powerful and technically sound - unfortunately the transfer market is high risk and strikers can be expensive mistakes.

Fingers crossed we get this right and we need to make our move in summer.

Out of interest, what kind of goal threat do either Kel or Slim carry?

3 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Only Welbeck, Jay Rodriguez, Giroud, Mitrovic, Gabriel Jesus, Dwight Gayle, Andy Carroll and Shane Long have more Premier League goals than Iheanacho and can be classed as second choice striker.

All bar Mitrovic and Jesus are in their 30s. Would you be happy with a Welbeck? A Dwight Gayle? I doubt it. Or are you expecting a Cavani to join Leicester?

Strikers capable of succeeding in the Premier League are a rare breed and they don't come cheap. If you're good enough to be prolific in the Premier League (which is what you're asking for), you're also good enough to start and be the star man for teams in this country and abroad. Perhaps you move to a bottom half team, bang in 20 goals and get a big move. 

We've had Kramaric, Musa, and Slimani in recent years, all of which have good records elsewhere and failed to make their mark here. You want another one of those to add to the pile? To add to our (not finite) wage bill and restrict us from signing players in other areas? 

Now don't get me wrong, I'm losing patience with Iheanacho, too. But if you're expecting someone to replace him and do a significantly better job, you better prepare to be disappointed. For all his flaws, he offers creativity and is a good finisher. 

It's also worth noting that I do think Brendan has lost trust in Kelechi, which is why we're seeing Perez play in that position. Perez himself has twice as many Premier League goals than Iheanacho! Meaning we have both the 9th and 5th most prolific reserve 'strikers' in the league. Talk about depth. No, it probably isn't Perez' best position but also he hasn't been as poor as some would have you believe. On another day he'd have bagged a couple yesterday.

That's just the reality of the situation. When Iheanacho leaves (which I believe he will soon enough), I'm sure we will bring somebody in, but the chances of that player displacing or even competing with Vardy before his time are slim to nil.

You can just accept that or keep pining for a player that doesn't exist.

Editing to add that Perez and Kelechi cost a combined 54 million pounds, and you want better than the goals they bring. Stands to reason that you want to spend c. £30 million+ in order to get a better option. In other words basically a record signing on a second string player. And that's before we get on to the feasibility of a player that price wanting to come to be second choice.

Fair play, i agree with a lot of what you've said 👍

It's the club and vardy which is my main focus which has led us into these situations, that frankly, a club of our size should not be getting wrong to be honest. Vardy going injured shouldnt lead to the team not performing and dropping points (which isnt to a degree the players doing).

Dont get me wrong the past is the past and there are many players coming in around the pl win season including nacho (I think). All I'm discussing is forward thinking in terms of how it has got to a point with a 34 year old striker that we seem to be hedging our best on regardless of the consequences, and what are the club doing doing/can do about it.

Nb. Sorry missed the last bit!

Nbb super apologies my friend.

Edited by UHDrive
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, adejo92 said:

Out of interest, what kind of goal threat do either Kel or Slim carry?

Kel averages a goal or assist every 90 mins and has a reasonable scoring record in cups. Not a huge threat, but better than a Perez for example. He doesn’t get many mins and plays against poorer sides in cup/Europa, but definite goal threat which is backed up by the stats.

Slim has been a good goalscorer in his career - he nicked a few goals for us and had a good record in Portugal and France. Never looked a proper Premiership player but he looked a threat when crosses were put into the box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UHDrive said:

Fair play, i agree with a lot of what you've said 👍

It's the club and vardy which is my main focus which has led us into these situations, that frankly, a club of our size should not be getting wrong to be honest. Vardy going injured shouldnt lead to the team not performing and dropping points (which isnt to a degree the players doing).

Dont get me wrong the past is the past and there are many players coming in around the pl win season including nacho (I think). All I'm discussing is forward thinking in terms of how it has got to a point with a 34 year old striker that we seem to be hedging our best on regardless of the consequences, and what are the club doing doing/can do about it.

Nb. Sorry missed the last bit!

Nbb super apologies my friend.

I'm sure the club will be working on it, I just doubt any player that does come in as our next starting striker will have very much overlap with V9. It's a fluid and complex scenario and entirely dependent on how long Vardy can continue to perform at the elite level. 

The unfortunate side effect of his legend status is that he'll probably need to fail for a good season before all parties accept it's time to move on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 31/01/2021 at 16:21, UHDrive said:

Why haven't we signed a replacement striker by now. An established team like us.

I'm frustrated on two fronts

1) Why has it taken so long to get a replacement given vardy's age and with 2 years contract left. Nacho's contract is up next summer and I think it highly unlikely that he'll remain here.

2)  What do people think about how long we take and how much it might cost for a main striker and back up striker? I say backup as nacho will be off next summer. I know people on here are referencing another DM, another defender, a right winger which will cost say the same as under whether he fails or not. 

We have had a lot off of the books lately and will have more this summer and next. Then there's covid added in for good measure.

Thoughts on a postcard 

I agree.We needed another striker in this window.These little niggling injuries Vards keeps getting are just going to be more frequent.Their will be a lot more clubs after the same players in the summer which will just bump the price up!Should have tested Celtics arm over odsonne IMO.I just don’t think Perez or kelechi have got it.

I seriously think it could cost us at the end of the season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Fulham are in for Josh King. After what I witnessed at the weekend I’d go all in for him 

Whist I agree (and we're desperate for an alternative, I don't care what anyone says) apparently after the links to Man Utd a year or two ago his ego has been inflated and he's demanding £120k a week.

Cant understand why the management have not even tried to look at a striker. Are they looking for the second coming? In which case Vardy will have to play into his 40s.

This reminds me a lot of our favourite Swedish Manager Sven and England in the 2006 World Cup. He named just 4 strikers in the 22:: an injured Rooney (who had not even returned from broken metatarsal), an injury prone Owen (who then twisted his knee vs Sweden), Peter Crouch and Walcott (who was 17 and had never played for England, and didn't play anyway)!  Hezus  Christo!!!!! 

On 31/01/2021 at 16:26, moore_94 said:

Amazes me how obvious it is that this is the case but people seem to think we can just go and get someone like Wilson or Ings to sit on our bench and get maybe 10 games a season until Vardy finally goes off a cliff

Just need to look at the issues Spurs have had trying to find a backup to Kane, only now does that Vinicius actually look alright as a backup

It's an interesting dilemma if we want to be consistently competing against teams that can have good strikers sit on their bench. Jesus is getting game time now because Aguero is injured, he'd normally be on the bench. They're teams that are practically guaranteed European (most CL) matches every season.

I'm not entirely sure it's a problem (or even a fact) that they might sit on the bench. You provide them the opportunity to take (not be given) the mantel that Vardy currently holds. A players who provides a tactical alternative to Vardy. Then they'll get plenty of game time and yeah eventually all the game time. Showing we can consistently get into and compete in Europe will help. 

As for that "just a back striker", not somebody who will necessarily come in and eventually take over from Vardy, I wouldn't be asking for Ings or Wilson, I'd happily take another Ulloa.  

3 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

I think we should go all out for Patrick Bamford in the Summer before the likes of a team like Spurs who also need another striker get him. Think he would be the perfect replacement for Vardy as they are so similar.

No completely disagree. Bamford has all the hallmarks of a 1 season wonder. Go all for Ings or edouard. 

• Sad 1