Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Striker

Somebody like Antonio would be a great option, a physical presence who has the movement to trouble as well.

As for playing a couple then sitting on the bench, if they are good enough, why not keep them in longer? Giving Vardy more rests and recoveries is a good thing. We don't want to keep playing him when injured.

25 minutes ago, Jethrolcfc said:

I really think we missed a trick not signing Callum Wilson back in the summer. Think he would have made a great deputy for Vardy, could certainly do a job for us now. Would have given us a different option to what’s available in the squad now

Think people need to stop going on about Wilson.

He said he had offers to join a top-6 club but wouldn't want to as he wasn't the 'main man'.

Not a chance he'd have come to us to sit on the bench knowing Vardy was the main striker.

Like everyone I’m worried about us losing Vardy. Without him and particularly like today without Ndidi as well we are a very average side who would be nowhere near the top 4 or probably even the top 6. 

ive got it in my head that this is his last season as our starting striker and I don’t think I’m being too pessimistic in predicting that. He’s slowed down, he’s picking up little injuries here and there, he can’t play a full 90 minutes and then another full 90 2 or 3 days later. He can be managed and I think he’ll still be with us a few more years but I think we now need to accept that he’s not going to be our main guy anymore. 

We have a very important transfer window coming up this summer. We need a striker. Whoever comes In won’t be as good as Vardy, but we can only hope that the whole team steps up and we can continue this growth that we’ve seen over the past few years. 

For now, we need to get through this season, compete for everything we possible can by using Vardy and then hopefully we can be in a fantastic position for next season. Keep

the faith lads! 

1 hour ago, AS1413 said:

The inconsistency and failure for champions League football is the club as a wholes fault.

If we had a replacement / addition to Vardy, we wouldn't drop half the points we do.

Instead we get people like ünder who sit and warm the bench and then get given 10 minutes to work a miracle.

the recruitment at the club is top class, it's not easy top get a player that's quality to sit on the bench, we should be looking at someone like Ings, someone that backs themselves to get a decent amount of game time even when Vardy is fit.

• Like 1

Not sure why Perez is in front of Iheanacho, who has done ok in fits and starts (and has his frustrating moments). But truthfully right now you might as well recall Admiral Muskwe from Wycombe and give him a go.

What I saw today from Perez isn’t acceptable given the level of player around him. Maddison, Barnes et al had absolutely nothing to work with. He’s slow, clumsy, gives the ball away. When he gets the ball you can see the cogs turning in his head. He’s done well to rob a living in the Premier League for years.

But as for who to replace Vardy long term. Not sure I watch enough of other teams to answer that. But we do employ people and pay them well to look at this. For as long as Vardy is playing it won’t be easy because comparisons will always be made, and it will be hard for anyone to make the position their own.

Maybe we should poach a 100m sprinter and teach him how to play football?

• Like 1

Yes the consideration is you sign another striker its a massive slap in the face to £60m worth of assets we have. To the club, they want those players to be given every opportunity to shine otherwise move them on before we sign someone else, the reason we're after an attacking midfielder is because demeria has gone but I'd bet wages are limited to what demeria was paid aswell

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Maybe the reason Vardy plays all the time is that the competition isn't strong enough? If Perez and Iheanacho contributed more they'd play more.

Can't help but keep thinking back to Kramaric being the one.

We really didn't even give him a chance.

(Granted we had other options at that time)

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

The problem we have and the reason we as Leicester fans are sh*tting it is that to replace Vardy with someone who would be as prolific, you're looking at a striker in the top 10 of world football, and none of them are coming to us no matter what we do.  Thats the issue, its a no win situation when he steps down. When he goes, we will be a worse team without him.  Which is why it makes no sense to milk him for everything he's got before finding a solution.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheF1Bob said:

Regarding your first two points, I'm sorry but if you want be like a top club, you act like a top club. Pay up or shut up.

And on points 3 and 4. Like I said, he's clearly falling out of love with Utd and shows with his performances.

And can play on the line unlike the other two plebs we have in our disposal.

Yet would walk into our team right now and in form is better than our clowns by a country mile.

Time to act like a big club and become legitimately a top side for good!

I'm not against us paying alot of money for a striker but it would need to be a top class, proven goalscorer or someone with the potential to be. Personally I dont think Martial ticks either of these boxes. And as regards my 2nd point, the wages, this is something we have to be very careful with for 2 reasons. First one, squad morale. If we sign someone and put them on higher wages than our current highest earner, which is Vardy, then they need to be better than Vardy or we risk affecting the squad morale. Our top players would not be happy seeing a player who is not as good as our other top players, earning more than they are. Secondly, we do not have the finances the bigger clubs have as we just do not have the same global revenue they do so thinking we can match them in wages and transfer fees is just silly and unrealistic. Our owners have done a fantastic job balancing making the club financially stable and self sufficient whilst building a top squad. We are currently competing with the top teams using our current transfer model which doesnt involve paying ridiculous transfer fees and wages. 

In summary, yes we need a top striker and yes we need to be willing to pay a decent transfer fee for them. What we dont want is to over pay for an average player like Martial whiist also blowing our wage structure. 

Edit: just checked and apparently hes on £250k a week. That's absolutely disgusting for a bang average striker. Hes on more than £100k a week more than Vardy. Scandalous!

Edited by jayfox26
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

There's plenty of young hungry strikers out there that would jump at the chance to be Vardy's understudy for a few years and also be effective at replacing him every now and then...

We need ready made IMO, 5 open play goals and niggles means we need to think proper replacement so that he can have plenty of time off.

Ings this summer if possible and then a young striker the year after would do me nicely.

14 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Sturridge is a free agent, he knows where the goal is. Would be a gamble but minimal risk.

Hasn't played for a year. We'd be better off signing Akinfenwa.

Playing a lone striker system, you need that player to have pace, good movement and finishing ability (i.e. a Vardy clone) or a player with the presence/strength to hold the ball and bring others into play consistently, whilst offering a goal threat themselves.

Neither Perez or Nacho really offer that.

It's not enough to have someone who just "knows where the net is". Yakubu scored plenty for us but I always felt he detracted from is as a team because he offered nothing else.

I still think Edouard would be a relatively low risk move for the fee he'd command, if he fancied the move.

Edited by martyn

I’m afraid that there are a lot of deluded people out there with some of the players mentioned on here. 

a) we aren’t a top six club yet

b) we aren’t in a sexy part of the country 

c) we don’t pay big wages

d) we are looking for someone to sit on the bench in all the important games 

e) we have a nice training ground 

• Like 1