Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Striker

1 hour ago, kristianity77 said:

The problem we have and the reason we as Leicester fans are sh*tting it is that to replace Vardy with someone who would be as prolific, you're looking at a striker in the top 10 of world football, and none of them are coming to us no matter what we do.  Thats the issue, its a no win situation when he steps down. When he goes, we will be a worse team without him.  Which is why it makes no sense to milk him for everything he's got before finding a solution.

I don't think we're discussing getting vardys replacement, that's a long term project which should hopefully be easier if we make top 4, it's rather getting a striker that offers more than nacho and Perez, and there are loads of strikers out there that could do that

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Our only hope is convincing someone to do a swap with Iheanacho. Even if it's a loan swap. Were not signing another striker until we lose one. 

I'd take anyone with a bit of pace and movement about them, even if it's just a short term loan until the summer. 

The trouble with that is nachos wages are too high, there's your stumbling block 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I’m afraid that there are a lot of deluded people out there with some of the players mentioned on here. 

a) we aren’t a top six club yet

b) we aren’t in a sexy part of the country 

c) we don’t pay big wages

d) we are looking for someone to sit on the bench in all the important games 

e) we have a nice training ground 

You've shat on my parade 😔

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

We started the season with £90m worth of replacements in the squad. You can’t just keep buying players and replacing them if they don’t work. This is the financial reality.

I'm trying to work out what you mean by that statement.  

Are you talking about players that have left for big fees like Chilwell and Maguire in which case i would say that it's working out just fine, or did you mean something else?

44 minutes ago, murphy said:

I'm trying to work out what you mean by that statement.  

Are you talking about players that have left for big fees like Chilwell and Maguire in which case i would say that it's working out just fine, or did you mean something else?

Slimani, Nacho and Perez. All attempts to find alternatives to Vardy. All failed.

22 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Slimani, Nacho and Perez. All attempts to find alternatives to Vardy. All failed.

Right, I see.  Trouble is that it's not true.  Slim and Nacho were signed to play with Vardy in Ranieiri's then Shakespeare's 4-4-2.  More like an intended Ulloa or Shinji upgrade.  

Perez was signed to play wide right as he had at Newcastle.  Rodgers said so at the time.  He was our latest attempt to fill Mahrez' position.   It is a bit of a stretch to imagine that Perez would have been signed to succeed Vardy,  He is not a striker as he is currently demonstrating.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 2

So Ahmed Musa failed to show up to a trial at West Brom...we are after a back up to bolster for their run in. Can you imagine if he didn’t turn up there as he came back here for the rest of the season. Not sure how I would feel about it as, regardless of how it didn’t work out last time, as I recall he has pace and I think that is what we miss in our attack when we have to play Perez or Iheanacho. 

• Haha 1

All OP ever does is moan that we should be signing more players. Better players. More expensive players. It's tiresome. If we bought a player every time he said we needed one, our squad would be 78 players in size and we'd have a wage bill to fund the whole league. And he'd still want another shiny new player.

I find it really odd and yes, it probably annoys me more than it should. After every poor result he pops up somewhere demanding we need to sign a player. Anyone is perfectly within their right to be unhappy at something after a loss, but if there's one thing we have become famous for as a club, it's our exemplary record in the transfer market. So much so that if a drinking game was devised for a televised game of ours, the word 'recruitment' would result in a two finger punishment. So perhaps, just maybe, OP can put his boredom to one side and recognise that before the next time he's tempted to start a new thread about the latest position he wants us to sign a player in?

As many have already said, any striker that rates himself isn't coming here because he knows the only games he'll get are when Vardy is injured. Which, based on his record, is not going to be very often.

The notion that we can just go and buy a multimillion pound striker to sit on the bench and expect them to be any good is Football Manager stuff.

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Amazes me how obvious it is that this is the case but people seem to think we can just go and get someone like Wilson or Ings to sit on our bench and get maybe 10 games a season until Vardy finally goes off a cliff

Just need to look at the issues Spurs have had trying to find a backup to Kane, only now does that Vinicius actually look alright as a backup

...yes but at least they went out to recruit a striker, 3m Euro loan appears to be a good price to pay, as you are not going to spend £30m for someone to sit on the bench!!!

Just taking the opportunity to bring someone in, as a short term plan, at least attempts to address the problem. We seem to think that as soon as Vardy says he is retiring we will then have the summer break to get in a striker to replace him, sometime down the line.

We have no one in the U23s who can step up, Ali Reghba initially looked the part but has gone backwards playing with the U23s. He is quick, closes down brilliantly, creates his own chances due to his own endeavours (like Vardy) but has lost his instinct up front and now seems very poor. We need someone now to share the load with Vardy because this period of injury will surely not be the last for the rest of this season.

We have to come to terms with the Vardy situation, it won't be a pleasant task to transition him out of the team and whether we start now or some time down the line it will still be a gut wrenching task. When all is said and done, the club comes first, but as we all know, this club does have a big heart.

4 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

All OP ever does is moan that we should be signing more players. Better players. More expensive players. It's tiresome. If we bought a player every time he said we needed one, our squad would be 78 players in size and we'd have a wage bill to fund the whole league. And he'd still want another shiny new player.

I find it really odd and yes, it probably annoys me more than it should. After every poor result he pops up somewhere demanding we need to sign a player. Anyone is perfectly within their right to be unhappy at something after a loss, but if there's one thing we have become famous for as a club, it's our exemplary record in the transfer market. So much so that if a drinking game was devised for a televised game of ours, the word 'recruitment' would result in a two finger punishment. So perhaps, just maybe, OP can put his boredom to one side and recognise that before the next time he's tempted to start a new thread about the latest position he wants us to sign a player in?

As many have already said, any striker that rates himself isn't coming here because he knows the only games he'll get are when Vardy is injured. Which, based on his record, is not going to be very often.

The notion that we can just go and buy a multimillion pound striker to sit on the bench and expect them to be any good is Football Manager stuff.

That and the idea that we decide we want someone and he just arrives immediately, ready to play, no questions asked. I imagine the club would really love to sign a striker but unfortunately the player and their current club do actually have a say in whether we can do that, and alarmingly not everyone seems to understand that. I think in a lot of people's minds there's an endless queue of top-class strikers desperate to be, at best, a rotation option for us and their clubs would be delighted to let us have them, but we just can't be arsed to bring them in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Guest said:

That and the idea that we decide we want someone and he just arrives immediately, ready to play, no questions asked. I imagine the club would really love to sign a striker but unfortunately the player and their current club do actually have a say in whether we can do that, and alarmingly not everyone seems to understand that. I think in a lot of people's minds there's an endless queue of top-class strikers desperate to be, at best, a rotation option for us and their clubs would be delighted to let us have them, but we just can't be arsed to bring them in.

100%.

Also, out of the top 10 scoring strikers this season so far, only 2 aren't English. 

I'm putting words in mouths now but I'll bet the magical, mystical striker we're supposed to be signing is Spanish or Brazilian, too.

It’s a bit of a viscous circle really 

we can keep chucking millions at strikers that we can 

A) afford 

B) want to play for us 

I know we need a player to help get us there, but until we start regularly qualifying for Europe/champions league only then can we start to attract the type of player we need to replace Vardy 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Too be fair to the club striker is without doubt the most difficult position to recruit and get right. 

.....we need to get someone in, a young talent, 19 year old you feel that can be developed, there are plenty of strikers on the Continent we could pick up in the summer!!!

Edouard for £20m would have given us an option with potential resale value so not so much a punt. I have suggested Batuhan Kor, a player rumoured to be on our radar, 19 years old and a natural forward. No idea why he has not been picked up, he would have done a better job today than the options we chose.

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...yes but at least they went out to recruit a striker, 3m Euro loan appears to be a good price to pay, as you are not going to spend £30m for someone to sit on the bench!!!

Just taking the opportunity to bring someone in, as a short term plan, at least attempts to address the problem. We seem to think that as soon as Vardy says he is retiring we will then have the summer break to get in a striker to replace him, sometime down the line.

We have no one in the U23s who can step up, Ali Reghba initially looked the part but has gone backwards playing with the U23s. He is quick, closes down brilliantly, creates his own chances due to his own endeavours (like Vardy) but has lost his instinct up front and now seems very poor. We need someone now to share the load with Vardy because this period of injury will surely not be the last for the rest of this season.

We have to come to terms with the Vardy situation, it won't be a pleasant task to transition him out of the team and whether we start now or some time down the line it will still be a gut wrenching task. When all is said and done, the club comes first, but as we all know, this club does have a big heart.

But then at the end of this season if they decide not to buy him they are stuck trying to find a back up again, but if they do buy him, they have to spend £37m to get him.

Iheanacho had a very decent season last season, and Brendan was probably more than happy with having him as back up this season, he has been performing well in Europe and up until Palace he had been alright so far.

We seem to be in the position where we don't want to (or probably can't afford to) throw a few million at a striker for 4 months, when we have another position which needs more attention (midfielder)

For all we know Brendan probably wants to get a striker, but it cant be helped if we just don't have the funds it would cost to cover the wages and the loan fees for both a striker and a midfielder (especially for the quality we would likely be after when it comes to a striker)

The wages we have saved from Slimani and the wages and fee from Gray will probably be just enough for the 1 loan deal we are likely to make tomorrow for a midfielder, there is no magic money tree we can take from to get other players in the door

10 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....we need to get someone in, a young talent, 19 year old you feel that can be developed, there are plenty of strikers on the Continent we could pick up in the summer!!!

Edouard for £20m would have given us an option with potential resale value so not so much a punt. I have suggested Batuhan Kor, a player rumoured to be on our radar, 19 years old and a natural forward. No idea why he has not been picked up, he would have done a better job today than the options we chose.

Fabio Silva was apparently the next big thing and look at how he has struggled at Wolves. 

People underestimate the step up to the Prem big time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

But then at the end of this season if they decide not to buy him they are stuck trying to find a back up again, but if they do buy him, they have to spend £37m to get him.

Iheanacho had a very decent season last season, and Brendan was probably more than happy with having him as back up this season, he has been performing well in Europe and up until Palace he had been alright so far.

We seem to be in the position where we don't want to (or probably can't afford to) throw a few million at a striker for 4 months, when we have another position which needs more attention (midfielder)

For all we know Brendan probably wants to get a striker, but it cant be helped if we just don't have the funds it would cost to cover the wages and the loan fees for both a striker and a midfielder (especially for the quality we would likely be after when it comes to a striker)

The wages we have saved from Slimani and the wages and fee from Gray will probably be just enough for the 1 loan deal we are likely to make tomorrow for a midfielder, there is no magic money tree we can take from to get other players in the door

....if we have to spend £37m to get a striker in then it is a good price, even on a loan, the mere fact that there is a player in situ who thinks on a strikers level is a boon!!!

Nacho cannot lead the line, he is not a lone striker and he should not still be in this position where is an inadequate back up to Vardy, we have continually kicked the can down the street, sooner or later we have to face the truth.

The finances are an unknown and speculation is we do not have the funds to finance a purchase of a striker. I do not know if that is the truth, it maybe but we are not prepared to deal with the Vardy problem and the result is to leave a striker recruitment as something that needs to be addressed when Vardy says enough.

You may be right in respect of the clubs policy, but the way I see it we have a loan in situ from McQuarrie, there are options as we will not be paying the loan back in one lump sum, so there is some flexibility in the way we use it.

8 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Fabio Silva was apparently the next big thing and look at how he has struggled at Wolves. 

People underestimate the step up to the Prem big time.

....does not always work straight away, sometimes you have to grow into it!!!

Iborra struggled with the pace of the Premiership as well as Silva and they have played international football. Krameric has excelled in a new league away from our club, a new environment does have an impact on your ability to perform consistently.

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....does not always work straight away, sometimes you have to grow into it!!!

Iborra struggled with the pace of the Premiership as well as Silva and they have played international football. Krameric has excelled in a new league away from our club, a new environment does have an impact on your ability to perform consistently.

Difficult to grow into it given the limited game time we have to offer!

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

OP thought we’d get at least £10 mill for Silva late summer 

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Right, I see.  Trouble is that it's not true.  Slim and Nacho were signed to play with Vardy in Ranieiri's then Shakespeare's 4-4-2.  More like an intended Ulloa or Shinji upgrade.  

Perez was signed to play wide right as he had at Newcastle.  Rodgers said so at the time.  He was our latest attempt to fill Mahrez' position.   It is a bit of a stretch to imagine that Perez would have been signed to succeed Vardy,  He is not a striker as he is currently demonstrating.

At last someone with a memory 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, murphy said:

Slim and Nacho were 9’s when they signed,  if we decide to shoe horn then in that’s on the managers. But they were 9’s and Perez has played as a 9.

I’m not listening to every man and his dog moan about signing a 9 to play 10 for years and then have that switched around to suit. 

I’m not saying they were Vardy replacements In terms of long term replacements. I’m saying they are backups  and were signed as such, when people say “why haven’t we signed a striker”, we had four in the squad.

The financial constraints of that are pretty obvious. 

“Probably his [Perez’s] best position is more central…what I know is that he will score goals. He’s a natural goalscorer. He’s different to Jamie