Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Teams who cannot Mathematically catch us!

1 minute ago, OntarioFox said:

If that's the case, great! But can't Fulham technically max out on 56 points though? Pretty sure the same applies to every team above them too, so the lowest we could still finish in a truly insane scenario - for the next 85 minutes at least - is 18th. :whistle:

They play Newcastle who also play Brighton. Must be that they can't all reach 53 points with their games to play.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FoxOnWheels said:

When it was like our 4th consecutive season in the premier league I often thought how many seasons does it need to be before your an established premier league club

Cov were in the top flight for 34 years from 1967 to 2001.

Within a year of them being relegated, it was Cov who?

• Like 1

Outside of the big London teams, Man United, Liverpool and Everton - it's anyone's game.

Look at Newcastle. 

Heard a Palace fan on the radio the other day saying the football isn't great but Hodgson has given them the kind of stability they've not seen in years and they have players to build around - Zaha and Eze. Crazy to think it. 

52 minutes ago, Bert said:

At the minute. We are an established premier league side. 

I think the established bit is a bit of a red herring anyway.

We are not considered a side that is likely to be relegated, that is what sets us apart from most of these top flight Yo-Yo clubs.

Wolves are another and Leeds won’t be far behind them, whereas Burnley/Brighton/Stoke/West Brom/Sunderland and the likes seem/seemed too always have the grim reaper lurking.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I think the established bit is a bit of a red herring anyway.

We are not considered a side that is likely to be relegated, that is what sets us apart from most of these top flight Yo-Yo clubs.

Wolves are another and Leeds won’t be far behind them, whereas Burnley/Brighton/Stoke/West Brom/Sunderland and the likes seem/seemed too always have the grim reaper lurking.

We have owners who can't afford to and are ruthless enough to ensure we wont get relegated

• Like 1

Always thought Stoke were relatively secure until that season when it just feel apart for them. Apart from the rich 6 and Everton I don’t think that any other team is truly safe from relegation. No matter how good we are, I always breathe a sigh relief when we go past that 40 point mark!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Always thought Stoke were relatively secure until that season when it just feel apart for them. Apart from the rich 6 and Everton I don’t think that any other team is truly safe from relegation. No matter how good we are, I always breathe a sigh relief when we go past that 40 point mark!

This. Although I wouldn't even say the 'big 6' and Everton are safe forever. I mean Villa a few years ago would have been in that category and even they went for a couple of years. It's such a competitive division. No team can get complacent. Any team are only a few bad decisions away from being in trouble.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

I think Stoke and WBA did 10 years on the trot in the pl. Always safe and mid table. Agree I always am happy after we’ve passed the 40 point mark. 
Might be wrong but I think WBA were 10th the season before they went down. 
It only takes a poor start to the season with injuries as well and you can be down there for the majority of the campaign. 

• Like 1

Mathematically there must be several sides who can't catch us plus West Brom and Sheffield United. If you look at all  remaining fixtures, teams of course  take points off each other. You could pick a couple of sides like Wolves and Burnley and say they win their remaining games and they will overtake us assuming we lose our last ten. However to do that they will take points off other teams below us now. 

Need a few megaflop computers to run the theoretical predictions...

6 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

This. Although I wouldn't even say the 'big 6' and Everton are safe forever. I mean Villa a few years ago would have been in that category and even they went for a couple of years. It's such a competitive division. No team can get complacent. Any team are only a few bad decisions away from being in trouble.

Agreed on Villa, I just feel in terms of the way the Premier League is towards the bigger teams, and given the finances these teams have, they would have to have such a mate of a season I just can’t see it.

Apart from Villa (and maybe Schalke this season) I can’t recall many big teams Europe wide finishing less than mid table in what’s perceived to be a crisis year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Agreed on Villa, I just feel in terms of the way the Premier League is towards the bigger teams, and given the finances these teams have, they would have to have such a mate of a season I just can’t see it.

Apart from Villa (and maybe Schalke this season) I can’t recall many big teams Europe wide finishing less than mid table in what’s perceived to be a crisis year. 

A couple of years ago Everton seemed like they were in trouble. I also think Arsenal are only a few bad decisions away from being dragged into it. I agree those club would have to really mess up big time to actually manage to get relegated but I wouldn't rule it out as impossible. 

1 hour ago, oxtonfox said:

Mathematically there must be several sides who can't catch us plus West Brom and Sheffield United. If you look at all  remaining fixtures, teams of course  take points off each other. You could pick a couple of sides like Wolves and Burnley and say they win their remaining games and they will overtake us assuming we lose our last ten. However to do that they will take points off other teams below us now. 

Need a few megaflop computers to run the theoretical predictions...

I think you are referring to how many teams can still mathematically pass us, which as you say with teams playing each other would mean we can probably finish 16th or so at worst.

However, it is mathematically possible for 17 teams to still overtake us.

14 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I think you are referring to how many teams can still mathematically pass us, which as you say with teams playing each other would mean we can probably finish 16th or so at worst.

However, it is mathematically possible for 17 teams to still overtake us.

Surely it’s mathematically impossible for a third/half of the 17 as they ultimately still have to play each other so not every team below us can win enough points to overtake us.

9 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Surely it’s mathematically impossible for a third/half of the 17 as they ultimately still have to play each other so not every team below us can win enough points to overtake us.

Yes it is. But individually all 17 could. That's the point.

• Like 2