Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Blue ROI

World Cup 2022 Qualifiers

Its a very long story but effectively this song is a Welsh nationalist folk song which was derided as a joke for years. It’s made a comeback with the football team and in process probably hit the core of the Welsh people, this time more than it ever expected. The football team have united the nation in a way that it’s struggled itself for years and the rugby team currently can’t get near (hugely the WRUs fault). 

9 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Its a very long story but effectively this song is a Welsh nationalist folk song which was derided as a joke for years. It’s made a comeback with the football team and in process probably hit the core of the Welsh people, this time more than it ever expected. The football team have united the nation in a way that it’s struggled itself for years and the rugby team currently can’t get near (hugely the WRUs fault). 

Never derided as a joke amongst Welsh speakers or many others for that matter. Little known after it was written in 83 maybe, but never derided. 

47 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Chucking out some rapid fire Nazi salutes must be great practice for making reflex saves. Congratulations Wales. Massive achievement for a nation with the same size population as Coalville. 

Enjoy those sour grapes for breakfast tomorrow. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Never derided as a joke amongst Welsh speakers or many others for that matter. Little known after it was written in 83 maybe, but never derided. 

A podcast I regularly listened to said it became a bit of joke that would regularly appear on the Eisteddfod etc but I bow to your superior knowledge 

9 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

which was derided as a joke for years.

It's been a fairly major sporting anthem my whole life at least. 🤷

As a Scarlets fan it's pretty well rooted in to the club, its been played at international football and rugby games for as long as I've been going - which is since I was a dot. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KFS said:

So shit that this WC is where it is because the tournament itself and England’s group specifically will make for fantastic viewing 

Yeah ngl I'm a tiny but gutted that the tournament I most want to boycott is also the first WC we've qualified for in my lifetime lol

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Dreadful game this morning for one of the last World Cup spots, if this finished 0-0 both teams should be eliminated for the sake of the competition.

Two teams that prefer to play without the ball, in a do-or-die game, will always lead to cagey/nervy matches. This feels like it's going to pens.

All that said, it's just silly to me that either team that wins is essentially slated in the same WC group as 2018 with France/Denmark. 

• Like 3

I think both teams have a mistake in them, I can see someone pinching this 1-0 in extra time.

Australia have been slightly more attacking, but just really lack any quality. Surprised Craig Goodwin hasn’t come on, this reminds me of the sort of game in the A League he can make something happen.

It's funny, despite getting to our first world cup in my lifetime (in most people's lifetime), I'm often a bit down on Wales. I mean, we definitely are hideous to watch for a neutral a lot of the time I think. We definitely lack a bit going forward.

But both of these pair make us look like Liverpool at their best. This has been hideous. lol