Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Blue ROI

World Cup 2022 Qualifiers

29 minutes ago, shen said:

Redmayne's antics will become a meme after this, surely...

Having this

marionette.gif.1c834fb5740e44ae2f598ef5143a3964.gif

decide entry to a World Cup is not my cup of tea.

Or maybe it's just fair warning not to expect a lot from this ridiculous, corrupt, mid-season WC?

17 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Having this

marionette.gif.1c834fb5740e44ae2f598ef5143a3964.gif

decide entry to a World Cup is not my cup of tea.

Or maybe it's just fair warning not to expect a lot from this ridiculous, corrupt, mid-season WC?

The first time he did that, I was like, well... That's one way to try and stop a penalty. Then after the second one I was pretty annoyed.... But you know what? He fully committed to the bit and I was happy to see him come up with (an actually pretty great) game winning save.

9 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The irony is that the Aussie manager Arnold gets a lot of stick for fielding players with connections to Sydney FC. So the Aussies were rolling around laughing when Redmayne came on. 

It's not that ironic to be honest, they were more or less right to laugh, he was absolutely shit. 

All of that Dudek stuff was terrible. It watched like a pub footballer copying something he saw a pro do one time and that's probably not far off. Any Peruvian with enough composure to time their shot could easily do him whilst he was leaving half the goal open and they pretty much did. The one that just clipped gently in to the right corner he would have saved if he'd just had normal posture. 

He was off balance and out of position for nearly every shot except the last one where he finally settles himself for the strike and what do you know. 

One Peruvian hit the post and the penalty he finally did save was abysmal and at perfect height.

I don't mean to piss on everyone's fun but I'm sorry, it was as cringe worthy as the quality in the rest of the match. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Lionator said:

Costa Rica v New Zealand tonight for the right to be battered by Spain, Germany and Japan. Really hoping the kiwi’s can do it but it’ll be a ridiculously tough ask. 

This isn't Costa Rica of 2014. They're kind of caught between phasing out their ageing golden generation, and bringing forward a crop of very young and talented prospects. 

They were dead in the water in qualifying and then got red hot and took 19/21 possible points to get the playoff position.

I wouldn't be surprised if NZ beat them, but if CR do qualify I wouldn't expect them to get more than a point. That said, they should be dangerous in 2026 (assuming they qualify in the expanded format).

Edited by Detroit Blues

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It's not that ironic to be honest, they were more or less right to laugh, he was absolutely shit. 

All of that Dudek stuff was terrible. It watched like a pub footballer copying something he saw a pro do one time and that's probably not far off. Any Peruvian with enough composure to time their shot could easily do him whilst he was leaving half the goal open and they pretty much did. The one that just clipped gently in to the right corner he would have saved if he'd just had normal posture. 

He was off balance and out of position for nearly every shot except the last one where he finally settles himself for the strike and what do you know. 

One Peruvian hit the post and the penalty he finally did save was abysmal and at perfect height.

I don't mean to piss on everyone's fun but I'm sorry, it was as cringe worthy as the quality in the rest of the match. 

It won't work on some people but it will affect others, especially in a scenario like that. Some big beardy fella mincing on his line would totally throw my plans, especially if he's on the side of the goal I'm wanting to hit it.

It's just trying to make players doubt themselves and overthink the situation. They were both at it with the mind games on the sudden death pens, taking an absolute age to line up.

What I really want to know, is what the ref kept saying to him before every penalty. That was infinitely more annoying to me than the stupid dancing on the line.

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

NZ are a better side than I thought. 

NZ have looked good so far. When they've been able to pin CR in, they've found space to operate and probably should have scored already. But they also have to get through Keylor Navas, and they're just one counterattack away from this game being over.

• Like 1

This is interesting 

Superficially you wouldn't look at our group and think it's strong. I mean it isn't really, England should wrap up 7 to 9 points comfortably. 

But the highest average ranking in the tournament. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This is interesting 

Superficially you wouldn't look at our group and think it's strong. I mean it isn't really, England should wrap up 7 to 9 points comfortably. 

England's "should" also not lose to Hungary at home too 😂

I think England are fortunate to play Iran first. If they win that game, they're very likely through. They can afford to draw against the US and Wales. If they don't beat Iran, I think their chances become more desperate. You wouldn't want to be going into the Wales game needing to win, because you could just see disaster happen.

I think Group F and Group A are the most interesting in the fact that I could see any combination of two teams advancing.

Just now, Detroit Blues said:

England's "should" also not lose to Hungary at home too 😂

I think England are fortunate to play Iran first. If they win that game, they're very likely through. They can afford to draw against the US and Wales. If they don't beat Iran, I think their chances become more desperate. You wouldn't want to be going into the Wales game needing to win, because you could just see disaster happen.

I think Group F and Group A are the most interesting in the fact that I could see any combination of two teams advancing.

I agree, have to say I know little about Iran but we make most teams look better than they are so who knows.  I can see is struggling against Wales and the USA.

On 15/06/2022 at 06:45, Finnegan said:

Superficially you wouldn't look at our group and think it's strong.

I look forward to Southgate reminding us all of this fact, after England scrape through in second place by securing a dreadful 0-0 against yours.

It is hard to figure out those rankings, though.  Two CONCACAF sides (Mexico, US) too high and another (Canada) too low.