Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Should we still use the phrase ‘ Glory hunters’ for fans of the ‘big 6’?

If you werent born in a reasonable vicinity of these team or at least have parents who did you are almost certainly only following them to bask in their reflected cup wins and high league placing. They are glory hunters and whether they supported the super league idea or not is immaterial. Regular attendance at games can wash away this taint to a certain degree but itl always be there and let's face it most of them dont.

• Like 2

Guest bss9401

I was also thinking in terms of the world-wide audience. Tens of millions will watch the Premier league and call themselves supporters of a team, usually the traditional big spenders; often inseparable from whomsoever is winning most trophies or are one of London's bigger clubs.

These are glory hunters and would have been wetting themselves at the prospect of "their" team being part of this ESL.

Guest bss9401
2 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

no

the current set up allows them to lord it over the "lesser thans"

the new one wouldn't 

Yes it would.

They would feel even more entitled to believe themselves to be a class above and in a league created for those football gods who look down on the plebs.

The proposal even included a right for them to cherry pick teams who would be invited to temporarily be a part of their elite, who would no doubt be dropped if they dared to get above themselves.

47 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

If you werent born in a reasonable vicinity of these team or at least have parents who did you are almost certainly only following them to bask in their reflected cup wins and high league placing. They are glory hunters and whether they supported the super league idea or not is immaterial. Regular attendance at games can wash away this taint to a certain degree but itl always be there and let's face it most of them dont.

I think you’re missing the point.. 

the point being, surely if they were only after the glory, they would have wanted the super league? 

2 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

no

the current set up allows them to lord it over the "lesser thans"

the new one wouldn't 

what?

being a part of an elitist by invitation only 12 club league wouldn’t allow them to Lord it over others? 

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Glory hunters are fans that have no affiliation with the area or the club.  They chose their club like sticking a pin in a map and might change allegiance if said club begins to falter.  

Glory hunters are not to be confused with the genuine fans of any club though.  Just because a club is successful it doesn't make their born and bred fans glory hunters.

Yes true, I could never understand why people living in Leicester (and other local towns) would want to support Manure, Spuds or any other team, unless they were glory hunters? Some may have parents who came from those areas, which is a good enough reason, but why support a team you are probably never going to see, unless they play the Foxes?

I can understand fans abroad choosing a team as they will see them play in the prem, but not locals following a team miles away. 

I do not live in Leicestershire anymore, but I still come back to watch the Foxes and Tigers and sometimes the Riders, I also follow my local team in Dorking who are doing quite well, well they were before corvid stopped the league.

2 hours ago, ThurmastonFox said:

They won’t get a crumb of my sympathy. They’ve made a wholemeal out of this situation. If I had my way they would be toast, certainly not Mother’s pride. 

I think you’re being rather gluten intolerant there. 

28 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

Yes true, I could never understand why people living in Leicester (and other local towns) would want to support Manure, Spuds or any other team, unless they were glory hunters? Some may have parents who came from those areas, which is a good enough reason, but why support a team you are probably never going to see, unless they play the Foxes?

I can understand fans abroad choosing a team as they will see them play in the prem, but not locals following a team miles away. 

I do not live in Leicestershire anymore, but I still come back to watch the Foxes and Tigers and sometimes the Riders, I also follow my local team in Dorking who are doing quite well, well they were before corvid stopped the league.

Agreed with every thing you said UNTIL I got down to the tigers  (booooo)👎👎😜, No on a serious note, unless maybe there parents have supported a team not local and passed it down, I have absolutely no idea why people wouldn’t support there local team 

Some of the protest was quite performative. Not all of course, probably a minority, but there were some plastics sharing stuff on social media because it made them feel more like real fans. 

And I'm not sure how much fans of Chelsea et al really want to end greed in football. I haven't seen much evidence of it in the last 20 years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MPH said:

I think you’re missing the point.. 

the point being, surely if they were only after the glory, they would have wanted the super league? 

I think you dont understand how real gloryhunters act.

You genuinely think that the majority of these gloryhunters who never go to games and only watch on tv would boycott watching the SL if it had happened? I dont doubt that the genuine fans are dead against it and would boycott it but the whole point of glory hunters is that they aren't genuine fans, it's about having a status symbol and having a vague connection to success.

4 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

I think you dont understand how real gloryhunters act.

You genuinely think that the majority of these gloryhunters who never go to games and only watch on tv would boycott watching the SL if it had happened? I dont doubt that the genuine fans are dead against it and would boycott it but the whole point of glory hunters is that they aren't genuine fans, it's about having a status symbol and having a vague connection to success.

lol

what on earth are you talking about? I didn’t even come close to saying that

16 minutes ago, MPH said:

lol

what on earth are you talking about? I didn’t even come close to saying that

Well unless I've totally misunderstood your post youve implied that gloryhunters wouldnt want the super league. They would have been all over it whilst a good portion of match going fans would most likely have boycotted it.

5 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

Well unless I've totally misunderstood your post youve implied that gloryhunters wouldnt want the super league. They would have been all over it whilst a good portion of match going fans would most likely have boycotted it.

What I was trying to say was can we call them glory hunters if they don’t want the super league

The Premier League was marketed to the world, the strategy was successful. 

If clubs could only be supported by local people, then the English Football League would look like what a billion people have just protested against. 

Yeah, I'd say the term and concept of 'glory hunter' has had its day. 

I like my chips salty, my crisps Walkers, and oval bread called a cob.

I also think real fans are ones either a) born in the club’s respective city or b) the offspring of a club’s supporter.

If you’re from Dudley and support Man City you’re a poo head.

:ricardo:

15 hours ago, Dorkingfox said:

Let’s be honest, you don’t support Spurs if you’re a glory hunter. You only support them if you’re a fully paid up masochist. 

As this Forum proves it takes all sorts...

Like many before me , & long gone,and to follow,

# Some were every week on the road to follow their club,from Child through Adulthood

# Some (like me ) were also on the road, as above  but only when they could, because they played themselves ( some sport or other)

# Some started out as the above, but work, career, und family life intervened, But stayed loyal hardened fans...

# Expats ( also like me),some get to some games, others because of Health or finance, just follow as  fanatically

# Many "tourists-fans' who Chose "their -club" but stayed to one, either Never seen them live, or have Travelled Miles occasionally to See them...

# Plastics..but Keep to 1-2 clubs, Admire from a far, buy merchandise, and occasionally get to a game > all Weather <

# Maybe other loyal fans I failed to mention

Who from above is the better loyal fan....Any club needs the One who come regularly through the gate, but they too Need the occasional game-drifter,

Plus the admiring fans from afar....Why we even Take Non-Leicester & Foreign players....innit..!!!

Then there are the "Glory-plastic-supporters".  Who only follow the Glory while its there & only follow that name as it suits, and spend neither pennies,

Nor nerves,nor tear & heart-grinding-frustration.......But you Never know..........his son might..!!!!

Me..I am better than all of you, & just has bad as all of you...Their are tens of Thousand of various  & Kindred-like supporters....BUT..!!

There is only one..Yes 1. ...Leicester city. :scarf:

So their Doors are Open to all & sundry...

PS..which arrogant Non-knowing arsehole thought up the membership-scheme with no Guarantee of tickets...

That idea is just as Bad, arrogant & diabolical as the Super-League idea....

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, MPH said:

So there was a massive revolt amongst fans of the top 6 against the super league.

It occurred to me.. if they truly were glory hunters, they would have been all for this super league..

maybe I’m having a soft moment because the super league isn’t happening now,

but  is it time to do away with the Glory Hunter tag? 

A lot of them were ok with it.  But of course we cant label them all the same as yes there is genuine "legacy supports" of those big 6.