Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Should we still use the phrase ‘ Glory hunters’ for fans of the ‘big 6’?

So there was a massive revolt amongst fans of the top 6 against the super league.

It occurred to me.. if they truly were glory hunters, they would have been all for this super league..

maybe I’m having a soft moment because the super league isn’t happening now,

but  is it time to do away with the Glory Hunter tag? 

I was actually thinking this yesterday, we all give them a lot of stick about being plastic and not “proper” fans but the vast majority have shown that not to be true, the minority of weirdos who were supporting it are the true plastics to me, they just aren’t football fans anything like the rest of us.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MPH said:

So there was a massive revolt amongst fans of the top 6 against the super league.

It occurred to me.. if they truly were glory hunters, they would have been all for this super league..

maybe I’m having a soft moment because the super league isn’t happening now,

but  is it time to do away with the Glory Hunter tag? 

Dunno but it is time to do away with calling them the 'Big 6'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Depends if they are Leicester born and bread. If they are then feel free to call them a lot worse than "glory supporters".

If they are not then don't be to harsh If Leicester carry on their current tragectory we will be called glory supporters in a few years! 

They won’t get a crumb of my sympathy. They’ve made a wholemeal out of this situation. If I had my way they would be toast, certainly not Mother’s pride. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Depends. They're quite split as fanbases and despite the annoying bastards you come across, it's easy to forget there are plenty of fans of these clubs just simply supporting them the same reason we ended up supporting LCFC.

Those supporting the ESL based on "not wanting to play Crystal Palace" can get right in the bin though. A stain on the sport. Absolutely no grasp of relativity.

fair comments!

I think the real fans set the precedent. If the hardcore fans wanted this move then it would have happened and the rest would have followed. 

A bit like follow the leader. It's why supporter groups are so vital and it's so important that the people inside supporter groups stay true to the founding values of the clubs they support. The second they start to falter then clubs are knackered.

Football really is **** all without fans. We can't let the supposed elite forget it.

The thing with glory hunters is that they follow the crowd. As soon as they see its an unpopular decision, they go that direction

I saw so many people on facebook with faux outrage, which is simply because it is what society was telling them to do. Rather than being outraged with the idea. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Depends. They're quite split as fanbases and despite the annoying bastards you come across, it's easy to forget there are plenty of fans of these clubs just simply supporting them the same reason we ended up supporting LCFC.

Those supporting the ESL based on "not wanting to play Crystal Palace" can get right in the bin though. A stain on the sport. Absolutely no grasp of relativity.

You can always tell who is and who isn't a plastic fan based on comments like those. Most fans value the league system and are absolutely fine with playing against these teams whilst playing against the elite in European competition.

Glory hunters are fans that have no affiliation with the area or the club.  They chose their club like sticking a pin in a map and might change allegiance if said club begins to falter.  

Glory hunters are not to be confused with the genuine fans of any club though.  Just because a club is successful it doesn't make their born and bred fans glory hunters.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Corky said:

You can always tell who is and who isn't a plastic fan based on comments like those. Most fans value the league system and are absolutely fine with playing against these teams whilst playing against the elite in European competition.

i think it will be hard for the champions league to keep the same format as it is now. This will have scared UEFA and they’ll want to stop anything like this happening again. I half expect them to be expand  the competition and offer wild card entrants  ona kind of points system from previous competitions so that the likes of  ‘plucky Leicester’ don’t block  the established teams path.

all speculation of course. There might be punishments, but there might be concessions also.

Edited by MPH

Surly glory hunters are the so called fans who support the big teams who have zero connection with them, and they support them because  of there success, for me you gotta support your local club, and your not a glory hunter if you live in Hinckley and support Leicester, it’s the the Liverpool so called fans that were born and bred in miles away from Liverpool, etc

so your point is yea they are still glory hunters, I got a couple of mates at work who have support Man U from the 90s because of there success although they still support them now without the success, but there still glory hunters, I say support, but they have never been to a game in there life, 

Edited by Kingleicester
  • Like 1

Glory hunters would be at home watching the Tv through floods of tears trying to console themselves as they saw their dream collapsing. They'd hardly be outside grounds with placards supporting the SL when they've never been there before and probably don't even know how to get there

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Football really is **** all without fans. We can't let the supposed elite forget it.

Is it though? Those behind this move see it as inevitable and inexorable progress, purely revenue based. They don't care - and they have a new breed of online digital fan that couldn't give two shits about the history or pedigree of the game or the teams they follow and is prepared to buy into this theatre wholesale on a world stage. **** if they had their way - and it's rapidly moving towards this, forget 'home affiliation' and even the notion of owning a stadium - it would become a travelling corporate circus coming to a town near you. As international entertainment and within a hugely lucrative expandable global marketplace they can massively increase their reach and demand. As Milton Freidman opined, "the business of business is business" and football is a business which is fast outgrowing the old models. This won't go away. 

The community spirit of football is dying. It has been ebbing away for years. I'm pleased to say that I have experienced the spectacle and riches that the modern game has bestowed. But, I also lament the intimacy of a traditional stadium, regional support and identity, homegrown players who actually had pride and personal investment in wearing the shirt and even a local sponsor given that these teams emerged and were often spawned by and synonymous with, the industries and localised geographies of that town or city. 

A couple of years ago I accompanied a Portsmouth fan to quite a few League 2 games around the country and it's a time warp - reminiscent of a bygone era, untouched and untainted by lucre and not a plastic in sight. Going back to "fans" it wasn't business that stepped in a saved Pompey, it was the local fanbase. In 100 years time this will be largely forgotten - but if not, people will look back and marvel that such a thing actually existed. 

• Like 1

I think you can be a proper supporter without being born and bred close to a club.

I’ve got a friend from Leicester who has supported Chelsea for years, probably goes to 10+ games a season.

I also have Leicester supporting friends who have always been armchair fans and only really started trying to go to games circa 2016.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

They are not football fans. Not having it. These are the types of football twitter weirdos. Absolutely no clue or regard to the sport or history of it.

Yeah absolutely. 

Scum baggery of the highest order to support one of the most successful sides just because they're successful. 

Double scum bag if you use the 'my old man was from a village nearby to the Manchester United supporters club Lindley Branch' etc. 

• Like 1