Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Farrington fox

Under

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cengiz-under-opens-up-unsuccessful-5507888

Cengiz Under opens up on unsuccessful Leicester City loan spell

Leicester City loanee Cengiz Under has said that things ‘didn’t go as we wanted’ during the season at the King Power Stadium.

The Turkey international signed on a season-long loan from Serie A side Roma last summer as Brendan Rodgers looked to add more depth in wide areas of his squad. 

Things however didn’t go as planned.

Under made a total of 19 appearances in a City shirt, scoring two goals and providing three assists. But he didn’t make an appearance for the club beyond February due to injury and not being selected.

The 23-year-old showed exciting promise in his early appearances, coming off the bench to provide assists in the Premier League games against Arsenal and Leeds United.

But failed to live up to that promise with City deciding against making the move permanent this summer. 

Under is currently preparing for the European Championships with Turkey, where he could line up alongside Caglar Soyuncu.

And while on international duty, the winger has given an honest assessment of his time at the club.

"It has always been my dream to play in England. I realised it with Leicester,” he said.

“I started the season very well, then things didn't go as we wanted. I was out for a long time.

“I always want to play and I'm sad when I don't play. You can be sure that I will show Cengiz Under again to the Turkish people and the world to the Europeans.”

Following the Euros, Under will return to Roma with new manager Jose Mourinho in charge, something which excites the player although there is still uncertainty over his future. 

"One of my biggest dreams, since I was a child, was to work with Mourinho. If you ask any Turkish player, everyone would like to work with him, I wanted to too,” he added.

“I hope the Euros will be good for all of us. Right now I am focused on the Euros, more on that [his future] later. I don't know what will happen. My current goal will be the European championship. European, not my transfer. I feel I am 100% ready.”

• Like 1

Personally I felt that he flattered to deceive.

He looked good in spells, but his contributions were minimal in what he created, and this combined with is weaknesses in his defensive duties, lead him to not being selected, and ultimately not offered a deal.

Edited by Kilworthfox
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

He looked good in spells, but his contributions were minimal in what he created, and this combined with is weaknesses in his defensive duties, lead him to not being selected, and ultimately not offered a deal.

I imagine the club were probably worried about the amount of kids and old people he would kill with all those shots over the bar

• Haha 3

Guest Bert Fill

Good luck to the lad.

Could have worked out; didn’t.

He’s moved on, we’ve moved on, no hard feelings.

19 hours ago, Kilworthfox said:

Hi Kilworthfox .  Actually he was not cheating. He wanted to do something good but he couldn't. This is difference. His minimal contributon and  poor performance was completely due to his lack of enough physical fitness level. Cengo came to Leicester with low fitness level. He was not in pre-season training period and jumped to PM leauge suddenly . And he does not know English , this really made his job and adaptations process more difficult. His injury propably happened because of his low fitness level.. He forced himself but he had not yet enough strong aerobic capacity to cope with this higher level that he had had not faced before either in Turkey nor even in Italy.  

Not only for Cengo , PM is very difficult for all Turkish players and this is not secret issue.  This game is being played to the highest level in PM wheras they are playing far behind of this level in Turkey.  I have seen of this our Cengo s event , if you do not have enough physical condition you can not be succesfull in PM even you are very talented , gifted.. Because all players have alrady high level of fundamental and talented.  .So it is not easy job , not only for Cengo but also other  Turkish players will have a longer and challenging job in PM  that required longer adaptation period.  Çağs could not play in 1st year  even he came from Germanys Bundesliga which is higher level than Turkish Super Leauge..  

Edited by Gazi Giray
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gazi Giray said:

Hi Kilworthfox .  Actually he was not cheating. He wanted to do something good but he did not. This is difference. His minimal contributon and  poor performance was completely due to his lack of enough physical fitness level. Cengo came to Leicester with low fitness level. He was not in pre-season training perod and jump to PM leauge suddenly . And he does not know English , this really made his job and adaptations process more difficult. His injury ropably happened because of his low fitness level.. He forced himself but he had not yet enough strong aerobic capacity to cope with this higher level that he had had not faced before either in Turkey nor even in Italy.  

Not only for Cengo , PM is very difficult for all Turkish players and this is not secret issue.  This game is being played to the highest level in PM wheras they are played far behind of this level in Turkey.  I have seen of this our Cengo s event , if you do not have enough physical condition you can not be succesfull in PM even you are very talented , gifted.. Because all players have alrady high level of fundamental and talented.  .So it is not easy job , not only for Cengo but also other  Turkish players will have a longer and challenging job in PM  that required longer adaptation period.  Çağs could not play in 1st year  even he came form Germanys Bundesliga which is higher level than Turkish Super Leauge..  

I would never accuse Chengo of cheating! I assume there is a translation issue here? That would suggest he didn't try, or did not give all he could, I would not suggest this.

I believe he tried his best, but like you say, was hampered by his physical condition, and lack of PL experience. He has undoubted attacking ability! However, there are 3 aspects to football, not just 1. Attacking, Defending & Transition, it was not enough to be proficient in only 1, in his position, as he has defensive responsibilities that maybe he was not accustomed to? There is a better option already within the squad who could do all 3, in Albrighton.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

I would never accuse Chengo of cheating! I assume there is a translation issue here? That would suggest he didn't try, or did not give all he could, I would not suggest this.

I believe he tried his best, but like you say, was hampered by his physical condition, and lack of PL experience. He has undoubted attacking ability! However, there are 3 aspects to football, not just 1. Attacking, Defending & Transition, it was not enough to be proficient in only 1, in his position, as he has defensive responsibilities that maybe he was not accustomed to? There is a better option already within the squad who could do all 3, in Albrighton.

Sorry yes it is exactly misunderstanding with my poor English.

*as he has defensive responsibilities that maybe he was not accustomed to** Yes agree , he should develop himself  he is weak for defensive works but I do not think he become an effective defensive worker. 

Albrighton : we understood Albrighton  choice. 

Only one thing  before Cengo were  transferred to Leicester,  Leicester managers should have searched his work rates including his defensive abilities since that was very crucial for them . It is not secret his defensive abilities is not yet enough at the PM level. Under when he receive a transfer request from Leicester, did not think on this issue as he was happy to go PM being the same club with Çağs. This pure joy can be understood of a young players , but I really thought it would be difficult after not having chance to play in Roma for one year , was a question mark for him to be able to overcome of this new very demanding job.. Because I saw the similar circumstance for Cenk, another Turkish national player went to Everton and faced similar difficulties . Even Cenk knows English and German. And even his youth was in Germany and played Germany U16-U19 team.

From now on I do not follow any Turkish players who will go English PM clubs until and unless if they prove themselves to PM like ÇAĞS. I did not even follow Çağs at his 1st year , after he was succesfull in 2nd year and having seen some chants of Lei fans about him , I started to follow Çağs and Leicester.. 😊

Best Luck for Çağs , Leicester and Cengo .. Hope Europe 2020  will be bright tournament for all of us.  ATB to all fans who love Football .. All the best is George Best.. 😊 But Gary Lineker is also not bad.. -joking.. he was very dangerous player too- 

Edited by Gazi Giray
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gazi Giray said:

Sorry yes it is exactly misunderstanding with my poor English.

*as he has defensive responsibilities that maybe he was not accustomed to** Yes agree , he should develop himself  he is weak for defensive works but I do not think he become an effective defensive worker. 

Albrighton : we understood Albrighton  choice. 

Only one thing  before Cengo were  transferred to Lei managers should have searched his work rates including his defensive abilities since that was very crucial for them . It is not secret his defensive abilities is not yet enough at the PM level. Under when he receive a transfer request from Leicester, did not think on this issue as he was happy to go PM being the same club with Çağs. This pure joy can be understood of a young players , but I really thought it would be difficult after not having chance to play in Roma for one year , was a question mark for him to be able to overcome of this new very demanding job.. Because I saw the similar circumstance for Cenk, another Turkish national player went to Everton and faced similar difficulties . Even Cenk knows English and German. And even his youth was in Germany and played Germany U16-U19 team.

From now on I do not follow any Turkish players who will go English PM clubs until and unless if they prove themselves to PM like ÇAĞS. I did not even follow Çağs at his 1st year , after he was succesfull in 2nd year and having seen some chants of Lei fans about him , I started to follow Çağs and Leicester.. 😊

Best Luck for Çağs , Leicester and Cengo .. Hope Europe 2020  will be bright tournament for all of us.  ATB to all fans who love Football .. All the best is George Best.. 😊 But Gary Lineker is also not bad.. -joking.. he was very dangerous player too- 

Cags is a top player, he will only get better.

Thank you for your post, I appreciate it is not easy in your non native language. :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I remember Heskey saying he didn’t understand where he fitted. I think we assumed he was a right winger. Yet the Turkish posters here said he was more an inside forward and Maddison and Perez had that sown up, especially with Rodger’s determination to play Perez; somewhat justified with that FA Cup interception.

3 hours ago, Gazi Giray said:

Hi Kilworthfox .  Actually he was not cheating. He wanted to do something good but he couldn't. This is difference. His minimal contributon and  poor performance was completely due to his lack of enough physical fitness level. Cengo came to Leicester with low fitness level. He was not in pre-season training period and jumped to PM leauge suddenly . And he does not know English , this really made his job and adaptations process more difficult. His injury propably happened because of his low fitness level.. He forced himself but he had not yet enough strong aerobic capacity to cope with this higher level that he had had not faced before either in Turkey nor even in Italy.  

Not only for Cengo , PM is very difficult for all Turkish players and this is not secret issue.  This game is being played to the highest level in PM wheras they are playing far behind of this level in Turkey.  I have seen of this our Cengo s event , if you do not have enough physical condition you can not be succesfull in PM even you are very talented , gifted.. Because all players have alrady high level of fundamental and talented.  .So it is not easy job , not only for Cengo but also other  Turkish players will have a longer and challenging job in PM  that required longer adaptation period.  Çağs could not play in 1st year  even he came from Germanys Bundesliga which is higher level than Turkish Super Leauge..  

...but there clearly were occasions where he could have come on late in games and was overlooked!!!

He sat on the bench for most of the season, and if you are on the bench then you can perform at any given time within that game, or at least the last 10 minutes.

We will probably never know the full reason why this never worked out, and your reasoning is one more to add to the list.

Before he came to us, I posted if there was one player we need to bring into the club, then it would be Under. I was very excited that we picked him up, and still at a loss why it never worked out.

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...but there clearly were occasions where he could have come on late in games and was overlooked!!!

He sat on the bench for most of the season, and if you are on the bench then you can perform at any given time within that game, or at least the last 10 minutes.

We will probably never know the full reason why this never worked out, and your reasoning is one more to add to the list.

Before he came to us, I posted if there was one player we need to bring into the club, then it would be Under. I was very excited that we picked him up, and still at a loss why it never worked out.

Hi SacretBlue .I wasn't so upset when my team in Turkey missed the championship because I expected this to happen, but I had thought that Cengo, as a quick and fast player, is very much suitable for PM would be very successful there . Now all I realized that I don't know much about football .

3 minutes ago, Gazi Giray said:
Cengiz Ünder (21) in the UEFA Champions League for AS Roma: • 473 minutes • 8 appearances • 3 goals • 2 assists A direct goal involvement every 94 minutes.

Resim

Gary this was a few years ago. He's been pretty average since.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Gary this was a few years ago. He's been pretty average since.

I know Chocolate. He will be better soon again.. I sent these poster to Dahnsof as he wants to see Cengo poster . Infact I prefer Cengo 

files to be closed  .. Why they are opening Cengo threads , I do no understand..stop this please..really..

Edited by Gazi Giray