Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group D: England, Croatia, Scotland, Czech Republic

d.thumb.png.b02c094e436ef85376919287726ace27.png

Sunday, June 13

Group D: England vs Croatia (2pm, BBC)

Monday, June 14

Group D: Scotland vs Czech Republic (2pm, BBC)

Friday, June 18

Group D: Croatia vs Czech Republic (5pm, BBC)
Group D: England vs Scotland (8pm, ITV)

Tuesday, June 22

Group D: Czech Republic vs England (8pm, ITV)
Group D: Croatia vs Scotland (8pm, ITV)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a feeling Scotland will be our toughest game (at best a draw). Aging Coatian team are there for the taking. The Czechs could be unpredictable. If southgate gets the team right on the days no reason we can't finish top of the group and qualify without breaking too much of a sweat. The knock out rounds is where it gets tricky!

3 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

I have a feeling Scotland will be our toughest game (at best a draw). Aging Coatian team are there for the taking. The Czechs could be unpredictable. If southgate gets the team right on the days no reason we can't finish top of the group and qualify without breaking too much of a sweat. The knock out rounds is where it gets tricky!

I was quite optimistic that we (scotland) could give you a decent game until I started seeing you lot post your starting 11s. Now I would be happy just to not be embarrassed. 

Have no fear we have a proper handicap in Southgate. I'm sure he will still find a way to cock it up with tactics, formations and player selection lol.

Scotland will find some extra gears when they take on the old enemy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Have no fear we have a proper handicap in Southgate. I'm sure he will still find a way to cock it up with tactics, formations and player selection lol.

Scotland will find some extra gears when they take on the old enemy.

Hope our English and Ozzy strike partnership see it the same way. 

Southgate won't get it wrong. For us to stand a chance, he would need to go with an attacking RB and a couple of AMC to play into our strengths. Let me ask you this? When has GS ever went too attacking? 

I'm half joking actually. Southgate only worries me when we face a team like France, Belgium or Portugal. Fine margins in those games so he has to get it right from start to finish and and everything in between. We need some luck too of course with no more injuries or match killing gaffs in defense.

• Like 1

Just hope Southgate realises that the past few performances have been dull to watch, hardly much creativity.

Hope it's not sideways football, just actually go for it.

Edited by Wymsey

28 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I can't be arsed with this.  In tournament play you need to go for it.  Southgate's selection clearly shows it's a damage limitation first approach.  For that reason alone, I can't see anything to get excited about.

You lot have been spoiled. 

Do you realise that as a Scotland fan, this is the first tournament since I was 12 years old that I've not had to pick a random team to support?!

This is the first time since my first year of high-school that we've not been tasked with "putting the bins out" whilst all the other nations went off. And in a cruel twist of fate, its the only year that we can't make the same joke towards the Irish because we are a host nation and will be home to put our own bins out....

Enjoy it lads, some folk are just happy to be part of it. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I can't be arsed with this.  In tournament play you need to go for it.  Southgate's selection clearly shows it's a damage limitation first approach.  For that reason alone, I can't see anything to get excited about.

Portugal didn't win any game in 90 mins in 2016 and still won the competition... 

12 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Portugal didn't win any game in 90 mins in 2016 and still won the competition... 

The problem is we aren't good enough defensively to shit house nor mentally ruthless enough to see it through for the duration of a tournament.

It goes completely against Southgates approach and demeanour but our only chance is to harness the support on home soil and really go for it and utilise our attacking depth, with 5 subs a game we could blow teams away.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The problem is we aren't good enough defensively to shit house nor mentally ruthless enough to see it through for the duration of a tournament.

It goes completely against Southgates approach and demeanour but our only chance is to harness the support on home soil and really go for it and utilise our attacking depth, with 5 subs a game we could blow teams away.

Oh I agree. The attacking depth is ridiculous and I can't remember a time it was so good in terms of the individuals that 'could do a job' in each position. 

• Like 1

God, even if I wasn't going to the game, to be in London next Friday would be an absolute joy. The atmosphere will be insane.

Also, might be late to the party, but looking at the groups, it feels like being the runner-up of D is preferable, as we'd get the runner up of Group E, whereas we're getting R-up in group F if we win it. Though if we were runner up, our location path would be Copenhagen > St. Petersburg > Wembo, whereas winning the group would see us go Wembo > Rome > Wembo. (All on the assumption we make it to the semis...)

13 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I don't feel remotely connected to this England team. I'm not excited at all. 

• Like 1

Good defences seem to win tournaments. I am no fan of Southgate but you do tend to find in tournaments a lot of the duller sides go far. France were hardly entertainers in Russia and Portugal we all know about. Spain as well were efficient rather than particularly fun.

Problem is we don't have a good defence lol 

33 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Good defences seem to win tournaments. I am no fan of Southgate but you do tend to find in tournaments a lot of the duller sides go far. France were hardly entertainers in Russia and Portugal we all know about. Spain as well were efficient rather than particularly fun.

Problem is we don't have a good defence lol 

He's been suckered in lol

'It's coming home'