Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Arriba Los Zorros

Bertrand

What did you expect when we picked up Ryan Bertrand on a free?

In theory it made sense to have an experienced back up left back but he has been relied upon too often and isn't up to it.

Bertrand, Vestergaard, Lookman.

New signings which haven't improved us and in fact are making us worse.

• Like 1

Just now, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

Is it just me that doesn’t think Lookman is as bad as others think? Whenever I watch him, I feel there is something there. 

Lookman is fine. By no means pulling up trees but certainly not letting anyone down. Bertrand on the other hand has been woeful! 

16 minutes ago, Royston. said:

In theory it made sense to have an experienced back up left back but he has been relied upon too often and isn't up to it.

I had expected this was in the main a like-for-like replacement for Fuchs moving on. I’ve been utterly bewildered by the apparent complete lack of positional awareness this guy has, his decision making when to go tight and press or when to drop deep. Last night his performance was absolutely woeful. He was all over the shop, didn’t have a clue where he was. Summed up perfectly at one point when Maddison was tracking back and about to press the ball, Bertrand (also running back) also decides he’s going to go to the man on the ball whilst another Liverpool players runs off him for a nice easy ball down the line and then driving into our box, he’s an absolute waste of space and that’s not due to any illness/COVID related issues, he clearly just isn’t very good and doesn’t have the positional sense you would rightly expect of a professional in his thirties!!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eblair said:

he's everything i thought danny simpson would be

ironically i thought he would be like danny simpson was

Great shout. Ie you imagined you'd end up hating Simpson because he didn't give a shit, and loving Bertrand for the professionalism, endeavour and know how.

**** me, can we get Pearson back? Ryan Cunting Bertrand wouldn't last 2 mins under Pearson. Quick headbutt, broken nose, sort yer attitude sonny Jim if you're playing for me and earn yer wage.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Why did we need a backup when both Castange and Thomas can play left back? I still don't understand that. There were other position in more pressing need.

Just now, Foxxed said:

Why did we need a backup when both Castange and Thomas can play left back? I still don't understand that. There were other position in more pressing need.

Because going into the season with 3 full backs, one of which struggling to come back from a serious injury, another who had just had his face caved in, and a youngster would not have been smart

It made sense to go out and get another left back, and it made sense for them to be experienced like Bertrand to replace Fuchs

Just got the player wrong

14 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Because going into the season with 3 full backs, one of which struggling to come back from a serious injury, another who had just had his face caved in, and a youngster would not have been smart

It made sense to go out and get another left back, and it made sense for them to be experienced like Bertrand to replace Fuchs

Just got the player wrong

Going in the season we had:

Right back: Castange, Ricardo (injured and looking iffy), Amartey (not a fullback)

Left back: Castange, Thomas

Why not reinforce the right back position? Maybe no one was available but it seemed strange.

9 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Right back: Castange, Ricardo (injured and looking iffy), Amartey (not a fullback)

Why not reinforce the right back position? Maybe no one was available but it seemed strange.

It's easy to say this in hindsight but as mentioned, Tim just had his face caved in and Thomas was by no means the safe bet that he's become now. Getting in another LB was the logical thing to do. Had we gotten another RB we'd have been left with only Thomas as a natural, left footed LB.

13 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

At the start of the season Ricardo wasn't injured and looking iffy, he was looking like he might actually be decent again until he picked up another injury against Norwich

We also didn't know what Castagne would be like coming back from his injury

So at that point we had 2 right backs, one of which can cover on the left (although never has really impressed me much on the left), and a young left back

Our position looked much better having 2 actual right backs and 2 actual left backs going into the season, and then when JJ returns you dump Bertrand down to 3rd choice and have

Right back: Ricardo and Castagne

Left back: JJ and Thomas

It made sense to do what we did

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

It's easy to say this in hindsight but as mentioned, Tim just had his face caved in and Thomas was by no means the safe bet that he's become now. Getting in another LB was the logical thing to do. Had we gotten another RB we'd have been left with only Thomas as a natural, left footed LB.

You say Thomas wasn't a safe bet but he'd just won the FA cup. I'm more annoyed Rodgers didn't put all his faith in a young FA Cup winning England international honestly.

8 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

You say Thomas wasn't a safe bet but he'd just won the FA cup. I'm more annoyed Rodgers didn't put all his faith in a young FA Cup winning England international honestly.

We all saw he was inconsistent and even at the start of this season I remember him having one or two howlers of performances. Don't get me wrong, I'm ****ing glad he's turned out so well but it would have been quite the risk to take to have him as the only natural left sided option.

9 hours ago, LFox99 said:

We all saw he was inconsistent and even at the start of this season I remember him having one or two howlers of performances. Don't get me wrong, I'm ****ing glad he's turned out so well but it would have been quite the risk to take to have him as the only natural left sided option.

The risk was in Rodgers' judgement, or lack of it.  He could see what a gem of a player Thomas was (he had had very few iffy performances) but was not brave enough to put his confidence in him.

10 hours ago, Foxxed said:

He has soon faith in him, he gave him his debut and has played him plenty of time.

What's hard to understand we needed a another LB as we only had one fit one.

Riccardo and Castange woulld be sharing RB duties.

4 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

After his performance in Naples I'd have cancelled his contract - Nothing personal just not up to it and doesn't give any inclination that he wants to be here. 

You can't just cancel a contract you would have to pay up two year contract in advance.