Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Arriba Los Zorros

Bertrand

Pre-Covid (pre-season and early season games) he was overlapping, had pace and physically looked in good shape.

Post-Covid he's been dog-sh**

Against Spartak Moscow he was completely overlooked by Evans (played all balls to Castagne), did nothing first half.  Second half after 50 minutes went down injured like he'd been shot (twice), rolled around (several times) and got the physio on for over a minute to attend to him. Nothing wrong with him.  

Got up and was fine, but he's legs were just shot and we all strongly suspected at the time he wanted to get off the pitch (he was duly subbed about 5-10 minutes later).

He's legs are gone and his fitness is shot.

Edited by Dirkster the Fox
Said Locomotive and it was Spartak of course
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

Pre-Covid (pre-season and early season games) he was overlapping, had pace and physically looked in good shape.

Post-Covid he's been dog-sh**

Against Locomotive Moscow he was completely overlooked by Evans (played all balls to Castagne), did nothing first half.  Second half after 50 minutes went down injured like he'd been shot (twice), rolled around (several times) and got the physio on for over a minute to attend to him. Nothing wrong with him.  

Got up and was fine, but he's legs were just shot and we all strongly suspected at the time he wanted to get off the pitch (he was duly subbed about 5-10 minutes later).

He's legs are gone and his fitness is shot.

Yep I like to be positive about players but he’s been very poor. Maybe Covid has done him.

however he doesn’t seem to put effort in or care, which I’m sure can’t be the case.

3 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

As a Saints fan I can only apologise. 

Bertrand spent the last 18 months with us phoning in his performances. There was a suggestion it was because he wasn't being pushed for his place but most thought he just couldn't be bothered. Seems he still can't even after moving to you. 

Same can be said of Vestergaard. We got a coating from the media for selling him to you and most pundits said he was an excellent premier league defender. 

As you've probably seen - he isn't. He does the odd thing but mostly he's slow and ball watches. Also doesn't win his share of high balls considering his size. So us Saints fans were both bemused you bought them both - and delighted! We were not quite sure what your recruitment team were thinking....

I get the feeling that the thought process around Vestegaard is the perception he can play the odd pinpoint 60 yard ball every ten games. There is no way anyone can call themselves a talent spotter and want to sign this guy based on his defensive abilities. He has none. 

Really was worried when we signed him. My last memory of him was against Saints last year when he gave away the pen. We’ve had a mare’ on two signings here. We were due two bad ones given how many we’ve got right. Now the question is, how do we get rid of them ASAP. 

11 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I get the feeling that the thought process around Vestegaard is the perception he can play the odd pinpoint 60 yard ball every ten games. There is no way anyone can call themselves a talent spotter and want to sign this guy based on his defensive abilities. He has none. 

Really was worried when we signed him. My last memory of him was against Saints last year when he gave away the pen. We’ve had a mare’ on two signings here. We were due two bad ones given how many we’ve got right. Now the question is, how do we get rid of them ASAP. 

Can't help you with that one I'm afraid cos we don't want them back (and we still can't defend!). Maybe try not playing them but hyping them up on your website? Actually putting them in the shop window will probably backfire. 

15 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

Can't help you with that one I'm afraid cos we don't want them back (and we still can't defend!). Maybe try not playing them but hyping them up on your website? Actually putting them in the shop window will probably backfire. 

Highlight reel of Vestegaard passing the ball forward. Ignoring the other highlights of how he gave away six goals in the same game - I like your thinking!

42 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

Bertrand spent the last 18 months with us phoning in his performances. There was a suggestion it was because he wasn't being pushed for his place but most thought he just couldn't be bothered. Seems he still can't even after moving to you. 

Same can be said of Vestergaard. We got a coating from the media for selling him to you and most pundits said he was an excellent premier league defender. 

As you've probably seen - he isn't. He does the odd thing but mostly he's slow and ball watches. Also doesn't win his share of high balls considering his size. So us Saints fans were both bemused you bought them both - and delighted! We were not quite sure what your recruitment team were thinking....

Fair enough move, got to take as much as possible for your dross. We'd be happy to flog some of our deadwood for decent money too - we did it with Musa so can hopefully do it to others.

Away from Bertrand, how do you see your season going?

Well as you can probably tell we are not very good. But hopefully there are three worse than us. We do have two gems in Livramento (who was Chelsea's academy player of the year last year) that we got for 5 mill. He is going to be a big star so we are enjoying him while we have him. And Broja. 20 year old loanee from Chelsea but I think they have plans for him. He looks a player and already has 6 goals. Other than that there is talk of us being sold soon which is encouraging as for now we have a Chinese owner who is not able to invest due to Chinese restrictions so we are just trying to hang in there for now. Gutted for you guys not to win last night, everyone likes to see the so called big 6 lose. 

• Like 3

Signing these two useless donkeys makes a mockery of the careful evidence based analytical approach to player’s performances that the club has prospered with and which they employ staff to refine . 

Before we signed Bertrand BR made reference to him “being a (CL) winner “ and the sort of player he wanted in the side . So presumably that trumped the usual careful assessment undertaken since it’s hard to imagine that his stats in a perennially lack lustre Southampton side would have even merited a one year contract based on getting him in on a free . So this looks like it’s on Brendan 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SonicBoom said:

It's quite simple really no one did their homework, if your picking it up as a fan, surely our "expert" team should have.

But they didn't, Vasterguard  I can just about cope with, Bertrand really doesnt look like he puts any effort in at all which is a shame.

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

Signing these two useless donkeys makes a mockery of the careful evidence based analytical approach to player’s performances that the club has prospered with and which they employ staff to refine . 

Before we signed Bertrand BR made reference to him “being a (CL) winner “ and the sort of player he wanted in the side . So presumably that trumped the usual careful assessment undertaken since it’s hard to imagine that his stats in a perennially lack lustre Southampton side would have even merited a one year contract based on getting him in on a free . So this looks like it’s on Brendan 

Brendan's CL winner first appearance was in the 2012 final where he played for 70mins  and Chelsea won in a penalty shootout,. Brendan trying to suggest as if Bertrand played in the whole campaign 🤔 and now we're stuck with him for 2 years 🙄 

10 hours ago, tsintskaro said:

I mean he was shit last games, but whole squad had/has garbage games

he missed pen and so did star boy Thomas which was crap for a lot of games in this season

did not see topics about him

Luke has a whole topic dedicated to him?