Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

PSV Post Match.

1 minute ago, Simmo86 said:

He'd fit in well here because he looks incredibly frustrating!

That was my primary take. We had enough evidence of fast direct running without brain cells on our left side last night.....not sure we could handle a double dose every other weekend....

(Small sample size I know)

Credit to their manager had us sussed set up their team brilliantly to contain us and executed the plan perfectly a near perfect example of how to play a European away tie.  They should have had a pen too 2nd half.

That said, Nacho and Barnes both should have scored with their chances in the first half.

Barnes was woeful, very poor, he should have been hooked a around the 60 minute mark.  The full back marking him had him in his back pocket for most of the game.  Brendans tactics 2nd half annoyed me.  We played worse when he made the subs and I dont think Lookman knew where he was meant to be playing.  Tielemans and Maddsion were too deep and not able to stamp their mark on the game.   A false 9 at home for 10 minutes was a waste Daka should have been put on sooner.

Kudos to Fofana what a player he is won everything in the air and was commanding.

Will be very difficult at their place, a trip I am looking forward too.  Fear the worst though, they are a good side, I will however,

enjoy it it will be a long time before we are in Europe again.  We have to win end of.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, The Blur said:

I think they were containing themselves a bit at our place.   I reckon they will raise their game being at home and with the stakes involved in the second leg.   That is what I am fearing.   

Doubtful they were "containing themselves" as they played with 3 attackers.

Anyway, they apparently have a worse home record in the competition than away.

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, suffolk fox said:

Credit to their manager had us sussed set up their team brilliantly to contain us and executed the plan perfectly a near perfect example of how to play a European away tie.  They should have had a pen too 2nd half.

That said, Nacho and Barnes both should have scored with their chances in the first half.

Barnes was woeful, very poor, he should have been hooked a around the 60 minute mark.  The full back marking him had him in his back pocket for most of the game.  Brendans tactics 2nd half annoyed me.  We played worse when he made the subs and I dont think Lookman knew where he was meant to be playing.  Tielemans and Maddsion were too deep and not able to stamp their mark on the game.   A false 9 at home for 10 minutes was a waste Daka should have been put on sooner.

Kudos to Fofana what a player he is won everything in the air and was commanding.

Will be very difficult at their place, a trip I am looking forward too.  Fear the worst though, they are a good side, I will however,

enjoy it it will be a long time before we are in Europe again.  We have to win end of.

Very good appraisal 

8 minutes ago, Simmo86 said:

He'd fit in well here because he looks incredibly frustrating!

Hard to be anything but frustrating when the entire team is set up to not pass the half way line.

But he's clearly got a lovely touch, appreciation of space and can go past anyone he wants with ease. I'm convinced in an attacking set up he'll be brilliant. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Hard to be anything but frustrating when the entire team is set up to not pass the half way line.

But he's clearly got a lovely touch, appreciation of space and can go past anyone he wants with ease. I'm convinced in an attacking set up he'll be brilliant. 

Oh yeah, I'd love him here but he'd just frustrate the hell out of me I reckon

The run in the 1st half where he carried the ball 80 yards sold me 

1 hour ago, stu said:

From the BBC report…

“And Leicester will have plenty of optimism going into next week's tie knowing PSV have lost nine out of their past 10 quarter-finals in Europe.”

They also have a cup final on the Sunday following our game vs Ajax which I believe is for a Europa League place, so will be interesting to see which game they prioritise.

Either way we shouldn’t be fearful going to theirs if we can put out our best 11.

You do realise psv and Ajax both are qualified for champions league so the ‘europa league place’ doesn’t interest anyone. It goes to the number 3 of the league so it’s not much to play for but honours.  Same for the cup game it’s not like the fa cup. It’s a crappy cup that 80% of fans don’t care too much about. Only because it’s against Ajax people turn up and it has some meaning but ecl def. more going for it as it’s new so the fans more interested in winning it. 

The guy saying Rennes is better then psv must be having a laugh :D 

Edited by PSVWford
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thought we were class TBH. Make no mistake, they are a superb side and defended unbelievably well. The only player who disappointed me was Barnes, who struggled with their right back. 

This was two very good sides cancelling each other out. Had Barnes’ effort which hit the post/bar snuck in, we’d be looking at it very differently.

They decided to shut up shop for the second half 

Without away goals counting it made sense for them 

because we didn’t have a defensive midfielder (youri was not keeping his position) , they would probably have scored second half if they’d stuck with their first half tactics …..

We are solid in defence, which is something i didn't think i would be saying so soon. Fofana is epic. Every long ball in was dealt with and sent back with pace. Evans was decent too. I'm no longer crapping myself every time we are getting attacked.

I enjoyed the game to be honest, although 2nd half they shut up shop and we decided we wanted to walk it in.  They are good experienced side who didn't come to win, and we more than look like we belong here. Should just have a pop at goal bit more, the Brentford game showed us that!  Iheanacho should stop bloody chipping, Barnes should have been more clinical.

Should have won, but this isn't over. Go to theirs with lots of confidence.

Linesman on our side was a complete joke and couldn't keep up. Had great fun ribbing him.

Might be my imagination, but i really can't remember the last 0-0 draw we had?

I do think we'll struggle at theirs. I don't think we really saw what they're capable of (except in short spells) and they seemed content to let us come at them. I could actually see us losing last night had they persued it a bit more. 

I can only hope them being perhaps not so defensively minded that we'll have a little more space. Or perhaps miraculously Vardy will be available... (file that under forlorn)

36 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Someone who knows more about football than me explain the idea of taking a striker off and sticking a midfielder there please?

I THINK the idea is to draw their defensive line out. If the don't have strikers to mark the will push up higher which means there is space to run on to butbthis only works if you play the ball in behind them. We didn't. 

• Like 2

I was watching the players when we brought on Lookman for Nacho. If you saw Madders he was just looking at the bench hands on hip and you could tell by his posturing he didn't have a clue what was going on or what position players were going to be in. Considering we had Daka on the bench and there was still 30 minutes left on the clock and we were seemingly controlling much of the game personally I thought he would have been the better option than playing the false No9.

• Like 1

Same old wasted dead ball opportunities. Their keeper was huge last night - picked off all the high balls. So why not mix up the corners and free kicks? Short corners or a diagonal pass for Tielemans to get hold of for one of his specials. Rodgers has blind spots when he could be responding to prompts from the game in progress.

I wasn't dissatisfied with 0-0 - just disappointed. The chances just didn't come off and I think we were significantly better than PSV and I can see us winning in Eindhoven.

KDH massive again. Wes had a great game too. I think we miss Thomas linking up with Barnes and KDH on the left - he's more a natural in attack than Castagne - although Castagne is the more accomplished defender.

Madders did well without much success. Ricardo is getting back to his best. Schmeichel had very little to do. Tielemans again not getting stuck into the match. He's surely ghosting through this season. Mendy would have been preferable to Youri. I wonder if Youri is ever so slightly envious of Madders and jealous of the plaudits he's currently getting. Evans his usual steady self. Iheanacho is brilliant and dire by turns. 

I kept thinking about how much of a difference Vardy would have made to this game - any game really. 

I'm still optimistic of the outcome of this tie.

Id echo the above comments but add the following ..We were good when we lost the ball...KDH in particular.  Also madders habit in possession of running accross defenders to buy a foul is annoying...2nd half he did just that and ref waved play on...he should have driven into the space 

• Like 1

Guest ttfn

I thought it had echoes of the home leg of the semi final against Aston Villa - playing a striker-less side with no interest in attacking we struggled to create many openings and then resorted to some strange tactical decisions in the second half. Some very perplexed looking body language when Lookman came on for Iheanacho.

We didn’t show enough urgency to win the game yesterday, we know we’re poor away from home and going to Eindhoven needing to win is not a good place to be in. That said I was very disappointed with PSV, certainly looked a far inferior outfit to Rennes.

We had a massive let-off in the opening minutes, couple of golden chances that PSV spaffed.

Once the game got going, on the whole we dealt with their counters comfortably.

Sadly we didn't have any impetus going forward, they had no space between their lines and formed a very compact block 18-20 yards out that we couldn't find a way around or through.

I struggled to see the sense in the Lookman sub but we had so little creativity at that point that a straight swap would probably have made little difference.

They did a good job of putting a lid on the final third, and we were lacking the individual performances that might have unlocked it with a bit of magic.