Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

PSV Post Match.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The irony is PSV are not a defensive side and not a team who can rely upon their defense but they obviously have seen enough in the way we prat about on the ball and our heinous away record that they thought this was the best way to set up against us tonight.

It makes me nervous for next week even though on tonight's evidence the only thing we have to worry about is sleep apnea. Really expected them to be very aggressive, feel like it's been a missed opportunity for us. We need to sort out our system and how we attack, it's starting to piss me right off.

We desperately needed more threats on the overlap and more runs centrally. Barnes cutting inside every time and Albrighton crossing to no one from the touch line was as inefficient as it could get.

Add to that Iheanacho having a bit of a stinker and Maddison being around the center circle all game and we offered very little threat.

Would not be opposed to a 4-4-2 against these dropping Barnes to the bench for Daka.

A typically cagey European first leg of a knockout. It wasn't something I expected of those two teams although maybe I should given we have our better defenders back.

Don't think it's a great result though and I'd make PSV favourites to qualify now.

Decent first half - helped by constantly pressing the PSV defence into giving the ball away - but we hardly created anything because our final balls were so poor.

Second half was a damp squib. With no Vardy to stretch their defence and Barnes messing up almost everything he attempted, we were toothless.

I thought PSV were poor, Madueke their only real attacking threat. We have nothing to fear in the second leg - though they will inevitably show more attacking ambition. If we perform and take our chances, we can beat them.

The big positives of the evening were Fofana (what a star) and KDH. The big negatives were Barnes and Rodgers’ strange - and totally ineffectual - substitutions. And of course we didn’t win. Or score.

59 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

PSV have left me speechless tonight, so so defensive and yet they have probably executed their game plan perfectly given how poor we are away from home this season.

1st half we did OK, there was a modicum of zip to our play but it does feel like we struggle to commit players forward. I haven't a clue what our system was today. I assumed KDH would play a deeper role tonight but if anything he was the most forward advanced and Tielemans and Maddison were quite deep, either way we had very little support when Iheanacho tried to link the play or when Barnes received it with any impetus. 

Iheamacho really needs to stop trying to chip the bastard keeper, that's 3 one on one misses in 3 games and was the standout chance of the night. 

2nd half was absolute horse muck, wish we'd had the extinction rebellion lot on instead, probably would have created more goal mouth action than either of us did.

KDH and Fofana were excellent, Evans looked very commanding early on when PSV actually had a bit of effort going forward. 

All to play for next week, we simply have to build on last weekends away performance for once and go and get the job done. Tonight was another wasted opportunity to get Daka and Iheanacho on, which now makes it only once in 2022 that he's played them at any time together which was Forest away when we were already 3-1 down and yet up until Xmas he'd only ever played them together if he could. Frustrating as that false 9 move was baffling and he should never EVER do that again.

Thought we played with a false number nine the whole game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lad1966 said:

I went to the game and I didn’t see anything going forward from PSV to worry me. Yes they parked the bus, but i think it’s important we didn’t lose. It will be a different game next week and hopefully a bit more open for us to attack. Our defence look strong both offensively and defensively. We will nick at there’s🏆🏆🏆

....I thought that in the second half they started dropping more and more deeper as the game wore on!!!

They left space for us to utilise behind their defence in the first half, it was end to end, both teams falling down in the last third.

5 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Really liked the look of Sangare for them. 

Like Wilf but good on the ball. Someone probably accidentally autocorrected ‘Soumare’ on the offer letter fax from Rudkin’s office lol 

14 minutes ago, SixtiesFox said:

Against a team that can't defend which came to defend we failed to force their goalkeeper into a save. To win in Europe you need to be brave. Not in Rodgers' DNA I'm afraid.

We were braver than PSV though.

We put a heck of a lot of effort into that but just weren’t at it in the final third. That’s while getting the feeling PSV played within themselves to a greater extent. Still, as others have pointed out, hopefully they being more open in the second leg will help us. Think PSV probably played it perfectly though sadly.

I know people have rightly been praising Fofana but Evans was brilliant too. The whole back four was really after Ricardo finally woke up 10 mins in.

Really liked the ref who let most things go and I don’t think we took advantage enough of it. You can guarantee it will be a much more fussy melt in the second.  

• Like 1

We weren't terrible, just didn't really do much. PSV clearly wanted the draw and executed that plan perfectly.

What was with the weird tannoy messages at the end?

Something like: "Leicester City fans, don't spoil it for everyone!" followed not long after by "PSV fans, thank you for attending!"

Nacho man is so frustrating! I love the guy when he produces the imposssibly sublime but when he misses the absolute sitters it kills me. We’ve got to finish teams off in Europe or it comes back and bites us in the arse. Live and learn

3 hours ago, Larry_LCFC said:

It really annoys me that Brendan will probably be over the moon with the performance. Had more possession, kept a clean sheet and didn't lose. His main objectives as the manager that he is. Having no striker on the pitch for even a minute in a home game is unacceptable.

In all honesty, we never really looked like we wanted to win it. So painfully slow and disjointed going forward.  We have without a doubt handed PSV the advantage now. Clearly Brendan didn't get the memo that the idea is to win the home leg. Very disappointing evening.

Your first sentence is completely wrong. There were plenty of shots of the technical area, on Rodgers, during the last 10 minutes. He was clearly frustrated and annoyed at the performance, regardless of the possession stats. It was clear for the footage that he knew this was a missed opportunity.

Our failure to hurt them starts with YOURI I reckon over 80% of the balls he got played to him he passed it straight back to the centre half’s . He just refuses to collect the ball and turn and advance forwards . On the other hand KDH does that he collects the ball and goes forward and we look so much better , YOURI has really fallen of the cliff as a playmaker. 

8 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

Do away goals count? If not then a win is needed...

Ha, apparently not!

"On 24 June 2021, UEFA approved the proposal to abolish the away goals rule in all UEFA club competitions".

Evidently I've not been keeping track - that means 0-0 at home isn't such a great result after all.

We score one of those first half chances I think you've got a very similar outcome to Rennes at the end of the night.

Have to prioritise these over Palace. Seeing the highlights across Europe, our old adversaries Slavia Prague away at Feyernord, stating loud the Dutch atmosphere next week will be electric again.

Eindhoven have another level to them. Last round they drew 4-4 at home with Copenhagen game one, game two they cut the Danish goals out and won 4-0 away. Which tells me either something bad happened to Copenhagen or PSV figured them out.

Both of us play this Sunday, and they've got another huge game three days after our game there.

Credit to PSV, they had us sussed. Barnes particularly (so don't be too hard on him) They let him go outside but where waiting in number when he turned in.

They defended well generally without there being anything too sophisticated about it, simply bodies. I assumed Lookman was coming on for Barnes because he was drawing a blank. I personally would have hooked Barnes and left Nacho on. Nacho had a good game and his comedy moments were few. A couple of chances he could have done better with, sure, but otherwise good. Some of his link up and passes around the area was excellent. There's a baller there if he could just keep it together.

With them being so defensive, it's difficult to know how effective they can be attacking. They certainly showed in patches that they are a genuine threat. It'll be interesting to see what balance they strike at theirs. They will have to come at us more and in doing that might give us more of a chance. The tie is certainly not dead.

That said, we've missed out best chance I feel. It's advantage PSV and we'll have to be a little bit more savvie up front to win.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, weller54 said:

Don't be silly!.. Brendan Rodgers is our Manager remember!

Do you realise pretty much no team in world football worth anything plays two strikers. In a tight tense away European quarterfinal he's hardly going to play two uptop is he? Tonight we played an attacking 4231 I'm not sure how it's always Rodgers fault when we don't win. PSV defended very well and we should have taken one of our first half chances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They were OK but not threatening. I thought Barnes stunk - and hasn't been in form for a long while now.  I think he needs to sit for a bit - it might motivate him.  My other observation is that if Fofana hadn't gotten hurt, the club would still be in the UEFA Cup and probably be nibbling at that group that's trying to grab the last Champions League spot. It's a totally different backline with him and Evans involved.