Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

22 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I did a study on this about 10 years ago. Selling off council houses, not replenishing them, cutting down productive industry and moving to a finance-based economy that requires constant movement of houses to raise taxes was always going to end in disaster. 

People don't really want or need big houses. We need majority 2-3 bed terrace and semis, not 4 bed family homes I see popping up. 

The mix of a housing development will be dictated by the local authority as part of the planning process. Most developments are typically 2-3 beds in the majority, with a few 4 bed detached and some 1 beds thrown in for social housing.

A lot of housebuilders like 2 bed houses as they are disproportionately expensive compared to larger properties and more can be crammed onto the site.

They are pricey as they are attractive buy to let properties. I would make it a planning condition that new build properties could only be sold to private purchasers and not investors. They may eventually get sold onto to buy to let landlords later, but homeowners would get the first chance.

7 hours ago, David Hankey said:

I wish I had lived through times when interest rates were 3% when I first got on the property ladder back in the 70s.

In 1978 we bought a really nice 3 bedroom semi in Welwyn Garden City for £12,000.... interest rates were much much higher than today, but that same house today is £400k!

4 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Does he hire into magic circle? And what type of legal? 

In accountancy, my industry, we are having a tough time recruiting from overseas, there are some ‘crisis’ meetings to lure foreigners into the country to work, but more of a concentration upon building talent within our country now 

As some examples, when I first started a partner from Panama came to my firm as a senior mgr, a manager from Bahrain came as a first year…last month we were doing cartwheels as we managed to convince a ‘moron’ from nz to come as senior mgr. she was a mgr over there… 

Thats only what I’m seeing of course, others will see a different picture. anyway I couldn’t care less, I’m off to work overseas next Saturday! 

Yeah, Magic Circle, silver circle. The establish city firms as well as high level GC appointments. He knows the London market. There has always been an interest in international work but he was adamant of a substantial increase. 

It will be interesting to see in the next few months. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Daggers said:

Yeh but they invest in something or other so we should be lining up to toss off the chief exec and give him whatever disposable cash we have left. God bless them for their investing in things. 

People defending the tax avoidance of global corporations can royally get in the sea. 

This is a different question, and no doubt Chevron as an example will pay a lot of tax on these profits.  Is there a case for an exceptional profits tax?  Yes.

That governments choose to allow losses to be rolled over for a number of years as a planned approach to encourage and support investment in their economies is completely separate.  Simply pointing at profit in one year and screaming they paid no tax is uniformed nonsense.  They will over time pay all the tax due.

17 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Ampol, Chevron, Woodside and Santos all paid more in political donations ($450,350 combined) in 2020-21 than they paid in income tax ($30 combined).

Coal giant Glencore -- currently being prosecuted in the UK for paying massive bribes -- paid zero tax on more than $2.8 billion in taxable income, off more than $16 billion in revenue. 

Companies should not be allowed to make political donations full stop, and Individual donations should be capped at a couple of thousand at most.  What a nonsense it is.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Football crowds have risen by millions between October 2020 and now.  Why is that?  Clue - same reason as Shell company share prices have risen.

The Shell share price is lower now than it was in the whole of 2018 and 2019.  What this bloke is doing is picking the price at its lowest point in the heart of the covid crisis and using that as his base point for normal trading conditions.

Dont come here with your common sense and quality analysis!' People are busy making nonsense comparisons and ignoring the facts.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

This is a different question, and no doubt Chevron as an example will pay a lot of tax on these profits.  Is there a case for an exceptional profits tax?  Yes.

That governments choose to allow losses to be rolled over for a number of years as a planned approach to encourage and support investment in their economies is completely separate.  Simply pointing at profit in one year and screaming they paid no tax is uniformed nonsense.  They will over time pay all the tax due.

I repeat, are you an economic migrant or fleeing a hostile conflict? You seem reluctant to answer that question. 

Also, if I may, is someone from the petroleum industry holding a gun to your head at this moment? Just nod or make an unusual sound like ‘I’m planning on voting for Labour by post at the next general election’ and we’ll know to inform the authorities. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I repeat, are you an economic migrant or fleeing a hostile conflict? You seem reluctant to answer that question. 

Also, if I may, is someone from the petroleum industry holding a gun to your head at this moment? Just nod or make an unusual sound like ‘I’m planning on voting for Labour by post at the next general election’ and we’ll know to inform the authorities. 

As you well know I am a victim of an international people trafficking operation, the perpetrator in question is my wife but still.

Ha, as I have said there should definitely be an excess profit tax (sounds like it is coming shortly), but that doesn't mean we should rip up long term tax policy because we don't like the answer in this particular year.

That MSM leftie machine this morning BBC with the main headline on their site today of 'The Albanian gangs luring migrants to the UK' 

It's clickbait nonsense as the article is pretty balanced - goes further than a lot of media is, if over-exaggerated language at times. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

That MSM leftie machine this morning BBC with the main headline on their site today of 'The Albanian gangs luring migrants to the UK' 

It's clickbait nonsense as the article is pretty balanced - goes further than a lot of media is, if over-exaggerated language at times. 

As an ethnic Albanian who was born in the UK. Its common knowledge amongst extended family that these days the UK is in the dumps (still better than Albania mind you) the only reason most newer Albanian migrants come here is because they are young men recruited by the drug trade. Albania has Visa free travel to all the EU so going to Germany or France is far easier than the UK. Its sad to see the Albanian mafia taking control of these young men but they will be exploited when they arrive here and their family back home will be used to threaten them.

Edited by Fightforever
  • Like 3

Rishi has always been against it, just sees the price and shakes.

It's what makes SMRs more attractive. They're not more energy/£, but you don't have to stump up tens of billions on advance. 

Yeah, this is a no-brainer, really.

The short-term fixated flag-waving nationalists get their "energy security" and those motivated to actually give a toss about things beyond their line of sight spatially and temporally get a reasonably guaranteed solution (or part of it anyhow) to the biggest problem facing our species today.

Get it done quickly, and look for more research into similar lines including thorium, fast breeder and the Holy GraIl of fusion while it's being done too.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

He is such a pudding. So obviously inept that he'll never get in the cabinet (which says something), but will literally front up to defend anything so he can stay as a minister.

43 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Complaint to CCHQ against Gavin Williamson. 

That's the Gavin Williamson who was sacked from Cabinet as the Education Minister, oversaw the A level exams farce during COVID; refused to extend Free School Meals for children during school holidays during a pandemic until Marcus Rashford shamed him into a U-turn, then claimed he'd spoken to Rashford when it turned out to be another black sportsman; who held parties during COVID lockdowns - all this after he was sacked as Foreign Minister for jeopardising national security by regarding our 5G network.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

That's the Gavin Williamson who was sacked from Cabinet as the Education Minister, oversaw the A level exams farce during COVID; refused to extend Free School Meals for children during school holidays during a pandemic until Marcus Rashford shamed him into a U-turn, then claimed he'd spoken to Rashford when it turned out to be another black sportsman; who held parties during COVID lockdowns - all this after he was sacked as Foreign Minister for jeopardising national security by regarding our 5G network.

"Sir" if you please. 

• Haha 1